Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Inception - Pretty cool. I'm curious about a few things so I'll try and get it from the library or Netflix when it comes out on DVD.

Why do people text at a movie theater during the movie that makes no sense at all? If the movie is boring you so much leave damn the theater.

Thankfully, I wait long enough after a movie has been out and also go to early morning showings. Two great things about that are cheaper tickets and usually the place is barren. My sister and I saw Inception at Rave Saturday morning and there was like two other people in the theater. When I saw Kick-ass there was probably six people because everyone wanted to see Iron Man 2 since it opened that weekend.

Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
Die Hard
Die Hard 2: Die Harder

I wanted to like Dead Ringers so much more than I did. Nauseating? Nope. One of the most horrifying movies ever made? Nope. Cronenberg's masterpiece? Nope. Pretty disappointing, though I do want to give it a second chance.

Rollerball (2002)

For a movie that everyone says it sucks, and while it is not good, I don't think it sucks. What was the reasons people hate this movie, besides the convoluted plot, annoying soundtrack, and Chris Klein?

Past two days have been a lot of movies:

Die Hard With A Vengeance
Synecdoche, New York
Resident Evil
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

Tonight was a morale booster! Watched House of Sand and Fog and Se7en. I've seen both movies before, the latter being my favorite thriller of all time. I was also reminded of why I've only watched HoSaF one time (before tonight, obviously), and why I haven't watched it in 4 years. That is the single most depressing movie I've ever seen.

Out Law Josey Wales - its clint eastwood! I think it was like 3 hrs long but I love clint's movies.
Predators - Must buy blu ray for me.
Inception - great but i definitely need to see this one again.

The Faculty. Besides T-1000, Jon Stewart was funny as hell.
Disappointed that neither Famke Janssen, Salma Hayek, and to a lesser extent Bebe Neuwirth got nekkid, when the skinny blondie with the huge butt did.

They should make a sequel now that Stewart's rocking that beard.

Unthinkable - Hands down, the best straight to DVD movie I have ever seen. Totally revealed a few aspects of how Americans are soft and our justice system is beyond flawed.

Legion - 2/5 - one of the worst movies i have seen in awhile. Most bad movies you can laugh and make fun to get some enjoyment out of the film. Legion is not one of those movies. Legion has plenty of long and boring dialog sequences to tell you a not too interesting story. These conversations divide the few action scenes where people are under attach by possessed humans. My first impression from the trailer of Legion was, "is this a tv show?" Legion's trailer may have looked like a new TNT show but the film doesn't come off like that. I guess that's the one good thing about the movie, its is not a tv show... so Legion the movie will only waste a 100 or so minutes of your life and not 5-6hours like season two of Heroes did.

Dinner for Schmucks - I saw it with my 2 best girl friends and this was exactly our type of movie. Absolutely hilarious, very awkward humor. I can see how some people wouldn't like this movie, but I also know that some people just don't enjoy fun things.

Dead Snow - Really fun zombie movie. There's some very inventive kills that are just hilarious.

Slither - Ok, kinda funny, kinda silly. It kept me at least half interested throughout.

Mega Piranha - 3/5 - A very funny syfy movie. Aggressive piranhas are in Venezuela and an American black ops guy goes down there to take care of the problem. There are so many moments that make you wonder just why. One scene outside of an airport a sign is hand written, a couple cuts later, the sign is now typed...why do these things happen. Minor yes...but during a single car chase why does the villains car switch 3 times. Besides the flaws in film making there are some awful cg. The cg is almost as bad as Birdemic. Instead of putting a plastic model of a piranha in the water and let it float by...lets CG it so the piranha slides across the screen conveyer belt style. Ugh! There are a few things to like about Mega Piranha. There are elephant sized piranha's jumping out of the water into buildings...then the piranha explodes. Pretty awesome. Of course the ending of the film doesn't make much sense at all, so I hope that means Mega Piranha 2!

Mega Piranha is probably worth a rental if you plan on dropping $10+ on August 20th for Piranhas 3D.

Rambo - Sucked. I enjoy a nice turn off your brain action movie from time to time. This didn't fit the bill.

Where the Wild Things Are - I know a lot of people didn't like this and a lot of my friends are divided on this movie, but I really enjoyed this.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Rambo - Sucked. I enjoy a nice turn off your brain action movie from time to time. This didn't fit the bill.
[/QUOTE]

What, you didn't like two hours of arms being blown off?

Mystery Team - 9/10.

I've been a fan of Derrick Comedy for awhile, and when I saw the red-band trailer for this last year I was extremely excited. Couldn't catch it when they were taking it around the country for a theatrical run (shown at like six or seven theaters nationwide :booty: ) and when it came out on DVD I passed over it for a bit... But, finally watched it and loved it.

It is definitely childish humor, but when you watch it and see all the heart put into it, it's great. Made entirely by a group of like seven people, they gave it the charm of a fun children's film, but with very grown up (and even sick childish) humor. It drags a little bit towards the end, but as a whole, I loved it. For how cheap it was made, I gotta give credit where it is due... It looks great, sounds great (Not enough Childish Gambino, though!) and overall, was very fun.

The Invention of Lying - Saw it while looking through the HBO on demand stuff, so I decided on a whim to give it a shot. It's really a clever concept, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It also has some nice lines -

Jennifer Garner - "I was just masturbating"
Ricky Gervais - "That...makes me think of your vagina"

Oh, and don't watch it if you are an easily offended religious person. Ricky Gervais is an atheist, and he is not afraid to show it.

The Descent 2 - It wasn't near as good as the first one, but it wasn't near as bad as most direct-to-DVD sequels. More people going into a cavern to get attacked by unnamed monsters. Good enough for me. Although the ending was ultimately unsatisfying and cliche.

Kairo (JPN Pulse) - Seriously, this movie kicks ass. It blows the American remake out of the water, and it is now my personal favorite of the J-Horror genre. Computers. Creepy Japanese style ghosts. Apocalypse. Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
415Y4MHQ3VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Role Models - I never really like many of the movies Sean William Scott stars in, but holy shit, this movie was absolutely fucking hilarious. I can't remember the last time I've laughed this much or hard while watching a movie. Must-see.

The Other Guys - It was okay, it had some hilarious moments. I saw it at a discount theater, I wouldn't recommend seeing it at a full price one...

Public Enemies - 3/5 - Interesting story. I love bank robbery movies for the planning and scheming that goes into the job. I find the clever and most of the time impractical ways to bypass security a lot of fun. Sadly Public Enemies has none of this. A few times throughout the film you will get a scene where men walk into a bank, walk out with money, shoot cops, leave to a safe house. To be honest I found the Christian Bale story line as the lead of the first federal bureau office more interesting than the John Dillinger story. How before going across state lines you were safe but now they made a team to go across state lines to chase criminals and mainly Dillinger. The story is well written and in a few parts pretty suspenseful.

The Road - Not bad. Fantastic characterization. I actually really cared for them, but the lack of focus kind of made me bored. Dad and Son travel to ocean in post-apocalyptic setting. That sums it up. You could literally walk in on the movie at any time and be able to understand what is going on. One thing it doesn't lack is atmosphere. It nails the dying world aspect right on the head.

500 Days of Summer- Boy meets girl etc. This movie tries too hard to be quirky and unique but relies heavily on a cliched plot. Joseph Gordon Levitt is a phenomenal actor.

Off topic slightly but could people recommend movies similar to A Bittersweet Life please, minus the vengeance trilogy. or just films similar starring Byung-Hun Lee? thanks!

Exam - pretty good take on 'stuck in _____ have x amount of time to figure out _______' films... Simply put, eight people who are all fighting for a position at a job are given a test. They have 80 minutes to complete it, with a few rules. When the test begins, they flip the paper over and find it is blank. The next 80 minutes feel a little forced, but it wasn't too bad.

7/10

The Strangers - Decided to give it a go a year or so late. Not terrible, not great. A good amount of tension, but I do feel like everything was put off for as long as possible. I couldn't really connect with the two leads, but, again, the 'Strangers' were put to good use. Oh, and yay for Dennis! :applause:

6/10

I think Born American will be up next.

Off topic slightly but could people recommend movies similar to A Bittersweet Life please, minus the vengeance trilogy. or just films similar starring Byung-Hun Lee? thanks!

Ohhh man, Lee Byung-hun is one of my favorite actors. He (along with the other two leads) is amazing in The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. I have heard great things about JSA (which I should get to already), and the Park Chan-wook segment in Three Extremes is pretty good, and he will be in I Saw the Devil, which will hopefully make it out over here in the states within the next 7 or 8 months. You should check out The Chaser as well. No Lee, but still good.

I went and watched The Last Airbender at the cheap theater. I've never really watched the show, but I didn't think this movie was that bad. I'd give it a 6/10...mainly due to some of the actors being so bad.

You could see some of the actors getting better at acting throughout the movie which was pretty interesting.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10

There's not much that can go wrong with these movies. I appreciate all/most animated films for how much effort goes into them. This and the other two is a classic or will be.

Slumber Party Massacre
My Winnipeg

Slumber Party was exactly what I expected (lots of boobs and gore), but holy shit if My Winnipeg wasn't the biggest load of pretentious wank I've ever seen.

Yesterday was Terror in the Aisles 6 at the Portage Theater in Chicago. Creepshow, Book of Blood & Tales from the Darkside were the three films being shown. I was able to meet John Harrison while at the event. John Harrison composed the music for Creepshow, Directed Tales from the Darkside and wrote and directed Book of Blood.

Creepshow – 4/5 –
Five short stories make up this anthology of horror. First is 'Fathers Day' where a daughter murders her father. Every year the daughter comes to a Fathers Day dinner. This year when the family gathers for dinner, Dad comes out from the grave to join the party. The second short is ‘The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill’. Stephen King who plays Jordy Verrill makes the short weird. He isn't much of an actor. Meteor hits ground, weird grass grows everywhere because he touched the meteor. Verrill is the worst short in Creepshow. ‘Something To Tide You Over’ has a psychopathic Leslie Nielsen capturing Ted Danson at burying him near the shore. Ted struggles to free himself to save his wife/gf who is also buried alive. ‘The Crate’ is the best short in Creepshow where a mysterious crate is found under the stairs at a college. The crate is dated from the 1800's and is locked shut but once opened a monster comes out to nom nom nom people. Final short is ‘They’re Creeping Up On You’ which was pretty decent. Germaphobe had a big bug problem. Overall Creepshow is an awesome movie. Some shorts are a little weak but the better ones more than make up for it.

Book of Blood – 2/5 –
Guy who has thousands of slice scars/marks tells his story. At first the story is interesting. You follow a teacher who studies in the paranormal and her colleague who investigate a house. The story is very much one note throughout and it dragged on and on. Book of Blood has a couple loud jump-scares that I think startled a few people. There is definitely not too much to like about this movie. I guess if you are obsessed about Clive Barker stories then you probably read the short story already…if not I would still pass on this movie.

Tales from the Darkside – 4/5 –
Three short stories make up this anthology of horror. ‘Lot 249’ is about a mummy who comes alive and attacks other students. The mummy is controlled by an ancient script that Steven Buscemi has. Christian Slater and Julianne Moore are trying to stay alive and stop this evil. ‘Cat From Hell’ has a an old rich businessman hiring a hitman to come into his home an assassinate a cat which has killed 3 people already. This is the funniest short in Tales from the Darkside and finally ‘Lover’s Vow’. 'Lover’s Vow’ is about a man who sees a gargoyle tear off his friends arm and head. The man then begs the gargoyle to not kill him and has to live and not tell about this event and never say he is sorry again or he will die. The story has Rae Dawn Chong in it from Commando, which is awesome. Overall I really liked Tales from the Darkside.

Its hard to say which anthology of horror I enjoyed more. Tales from the Darkside didn’t have any weak stories. The overarching story line of a kid trapped in a kitchen, telling stories to the woman who plans on cooking him is more interesting than the comic book format that Creepshow followed. What we need is more movies like these two. I know Trick 'r Treat sorta paid homage to these anthology films and did a decent job, but it took 2+ years for that to get released.

bread's done
Back