Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='dmaul1114']Grizzly Man.

Entertaining documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the whack-job who lived with grizzlies in Alaska for several summers before finally getting eaten by one.[/QUOTE]

I can't read that tag line without hearing the "Price is Right" fail sound.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Grizzly Man.

Entertaining documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the whack-job who lived with grizzlies in Alaska for several summers before finally getting eaten by one.[/QUOTE]

as sick as it may seem i really kinda wanted to hear the audio tape they had of them being killed. hard not to be curious after watching that movie.

[quote name='lokizz']as sick as it may seem i really kinda wanted to hear the audio tape they had of them being killed. hard not to be curious after watching that movie.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I thought I was the only one who may have googled looking for that sound file after watching that movie.

Underworld: Awakening

Fun movie for an 80 minute distraction, but stupid as fuck. Also, 10 minute long end credits scroll for extra lulz.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Ok, I thought I was the only one who may have googled looking for that sound file after watching that movie.[/QUOTE]

nope i looked too even though they said it was destroyed im sure here has to be a copy somewhere.

Just saw The Hunger Games. First off the best part of the movie was when the group of kids in the front part of the theatre were finally kicked out. I can tolerate a bit of talking but they were seriously going overboard. Shame they didn't take the drunk grandmother at the same time but she started talking to the characters right after they left. I was expecting it to be rather empty since Avengers had a line going thru the entire theatre, but it was decently full.

As far as the movie goes it was about as good as I expected. There are changes that worked and changes that didn't. I have to think if you didn't read the book there are quite a few things that didn't makes sense and the cinematography was too rushed. There are fight scenes where I couldn't tell what was going on (especially that last one). During the games there's is supposed to be this secondary expository story line that for the most part gets dropped because they didn't want to use VO. A one point a little black girl dies. Drunk grandma didn't like this "Oh Jesus no... oh Jesus no..." she practically yelled. I know Lenny Kravitz isn't an actor but they seriously underused his character. Same with Woody IMO. The "Capital Fashions" however were kind of great. Especially the gamemaker's wonderful beard.

[quote name='VipFREAK']What's a higher word than fucking Epic? Well, whatever it is that's what the Avengers would be.[/QUOTE]

As my friend so delicately put it, biblical. I believe that term accurately describes The Avengers.

The Tourist.

It was pretty meh, but not as awful as I expected from reviews. Had it on the DVR for a long time so finally got around to watching it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Tourist.

It was pretty meh, but not as awful as I expected from reviews. Had it on the DVR for a long time so finally got around to watching it.[/QUOTE]
The problem I had with that movie was it had an identity crisis. It couldn't really decide what type of movie it wanted to be and in the end was very farcical. But yeah, I think we all know the only entertainment value was Depp.

avengers-awesome. I was pretty hammered so I slept through a lot of it but woke up for the fight at the end. Excellent fight scene. Saw it in 3d and it was pretty nice.

Avengers- It's my fault for thinking it would be something other than a get together of peoples favorite heroes just taking care of business. I enjoyed the jokes and the Hulk though. (On a side note I didn't like any of the movies that this film takes from. Edward Norton's Hulk being the exception).

Movies I enjoyed very much for the first time:
Castaway on the Moon (Netflix it)
Boogie Nights
Sideways

[quote name='Golden Idol']Castaway on the Moon - Netflix Instant - was awesome.[/QUOTE]

i hate agreeing with you shill but it is an awesome movie. if youre ever looking for something original or diff go with korean flicks. alot of their horror/suspense movies put ours to shame. I Saw the Devil still gives me the creeps.

[quote name='lokizz']i hate agreeing with you shill but it is an awesome movie. if youre ever looking for something original or diff go with korean flicks. alot of their horror/suspense movies put ours to shame. I Saw the Devil still gives me the creeps.[/QUOTE]

I Saw the Devil and The Man From Nowhere are both great films. And both are no Netflix.

I Saw The Devil didn't really give me the creeps. I more found it funny that
when the killer was trying to do his thing the other guy would come out of nowhere and mess with him.

Fun stuff.

[quote name='whoknows']I Saw The Devil didn't really give me the creeps. I more found it funny that
when the killer was trying to do his thing the other guy would come out of nowhere and mess with him.

Fun stuff.[/QUOTE]

yeah that shit was funny in a jason vorhees catches up to you by walking kinda way.

I watched Tactical Force on Netflix. I thought it was just going to be a typical B action movie, but it was pretty funny because the movie doesn't take itself serious at all. The first ten minutes had me laughing hard, especially when
Austin throws down his weapons and decides to just rush the hostage taker and the other cop with the BB gun was over the top
, and it has its moments after that. It's probably not enough to keep your focus the whole time but it was alright while I was surfing the internet.

how'd the rating on that end up?
I really hope it kept the R. I just think that the idea that it's a "good movie" and should therefore be rated differently is insulting to the rating board. Whose mandate is to judge the content of the movie not the quality
more importantly is this a movie that you believe any kid would voluntarily go see?

Is there such a thing as a documentary that kids would see in theatres? Maybe animals? Penguins, Cats, and Chimps have all been on screen but I doubt any kid went to go see the Baby one.

[quote name='Wolfkin']how'd the rating on that end up?
I really hope it kept the R. I just think that the idea that it's a "good movie" and should therefore be rated differently is insulting to the rating board. Whose mandate is to judge the content of the movie not the quality
more importantly is this a movie that you believe any kid would voluntarily go see?

Is there such a thing as a documentary that kids would see in theatres? Maybe animals? Penguins, Cats, and Chimps have all been on screen but I doubt any kid went to go see the Baby one.[/QUOTE]

It was rated R where I saw it. I'm not sure why. I remember one 'fuck' which I thought was allowed in a PG-13 movie. There were a few 'pussy's thrown in but really nothing too bad at all.

No, I don't think a kid would see it, nor do I think showing it to a bully would change their ways. The movie is for those on the fence who don't think bullying does any harm and to see the kids in this film getting bullied and what it does to them is pretty extreme.

J. Edgar.

Good performance from DiCaprio but otherwise disappointing. Terribly paced with all the jumping around in time and pretty boring in places.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']No, I don't think a kid would see it, nor do I think showing it to a bully would change their ways. The movie is for those on the fence who don't think bullying does any harm and to see the kids in this film getting bullied and what it does to them is pretty extreme.[/QUOTE]
fair enough. If I'm being honest with myself I while I never approved of bullying (and depending on your standards I was very mildly bullied myself at one point in my life) it's entirely possible that, before all the hubalub, I was one of those people that didn't fully appreciate the harm it can do.

[quote name='Wolfkin']fair enough. If I'm being honest with myself I while I never approved of bullying (and depending on your standards I was very mildly bullied myself at one point in my life) it's entirely possible that, before all the hubalub, I was one of those people that didn't fully appreciate the harm it can do.[/QUOTE]

I like to point at Karl Rove. If you want to see the damage that bullying does just look at that man. He's about as close to a real-life tragic supervillain as you can get, he was bullied as a kid and he's on a mission to take revenge on the world (and he's done a pretty good job of it)

Then you have the other end of the political spectrum - guys like Romney and Ron Paul's son who were the bullies in school and turned out to be assholes in life.

[quote name='camoor']Then you have the other end of the political spectrum - guys like Romney and Ron Paul's son who were the bullies in school and turned out to be assholes in life.[/QUOTE]

Which this movie hints at is that these bullies have asshole parents who raised asshole kids who will then raise asshole kids. Sure the schools can have some say and help a little, but the problem starts at home.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Which this movie hints at is that these bullies have asshole parents who raised asshole kids who will then raise asshole kids. Sure the schools can have some say and help a little, but the problem starts at home.[/QUOTE]

As a former local pool lifeguard I believe it.

We had to keep a cap on teens loudly cussing because of the kids. When we threw one of them out up comes his bitch of a mother to cuss us out (in front of the families and kids). I have never met more of a bitch, this bitch was the uberbitch of all uberbitches.

After that (and the threats and the thumbtacks on the lifeguard stairs and throwing a dead animal over the pool fence) the pool revoked their membership the following year...

Dude really? thumbtacks? I can sort of "get" the dead animal thing. I think most people wouldn't realize how much of a danger a dead animal can pose, but thumbtacks?

I have my issues with Chronicle as I've hopefully pretty well elaborated on in previous posts but it is a fantastic story about bullying for reasons that are pretty
spoiler.gif

Speaking of.. and as this is the surprisingly thread I should also point out that I just finally watched Razend

a47hq1.jpg

A interesting Dutch movie that starts out weird and odd (like in the beginning when all the kids just .. after school they go do free running like it's a thing kids do) and ends up a bit cheesy and slightly cliché. There's nothing here that's going to surprise you. Still over all it's pretty well done and a very satisfying experience.

those kinds of parents are all over these days. their kids are perfect little angels who do nothing wrong blah blah blah where do you get off telling them anything. theyre the people on the news who always act so surprised their kid killed or beat down someone on the news.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Dude really? thumbtacks? I can sort of "get" the dead animal thing. I think most people wouldn't realize how much of a danger a dead animal can pose, but thumbtacks?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that one was in special ed in middle school because of behavior problems (violence) but during that summer he was my problem.

The odd thing was that the mom was a superbitch but his dad was really nice. There was also a daughter in the family that never caused any trouble. The police got called to the house often and it was rumored that the mom beat up the dad (she was a butch and could easily take him...)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Which this movie hints at is that these bullies have asshole parents who raised asshole kids who will then raise asshole kids. Sure the schools can have some say and help a little, but the problem starts at home.[/QUOTE]
Very true. I sort of feel bad for these kids that have no chance because of their situation at home but when I was victim of bullying for a short time in middle school I not only hated the kids who caused the bullying but it always pissed me off even more when I saw their parents at some school event and saw why they are such pricks. These parents were very often just plain bad people. I always admire the kids that are above their bad parents because it's not easy to rise above them apparently.

Dark Shadows

Went to see it yesterday with load of friends because we worked on the film. It's nothing great and but cool to see all the location stuff we helped on in the film.

Batman Returns.

The rocket-penguin stuff is indeed as god damn stupid as I remembered, but I still like the movie.

Dark Knight Returns! No sucking!

Despite the thread's title, Im going to post this just to warn anyone else who thought it might be fun (due to its cast):

The Expendables is really quite bad. My wife and I just tried to watch it and turned it off halfway through.

[quote name='Backlash']Despite the thread's title, Im going to post this just to warn anyone else who thought it might be fun (due to its cast):

The Expendables is really quite bad. My wife and I just tried to watch it and turned it off halfway through.[/QUOTE]

thats how i felt and it sucks because i wanted to like it since its crammed full of many of the movie heroes i grew up with but shit it was pretty dull. still gonna try and finish it though hoping it picks up.

[quote name='Backlash']Despite the thread's title, Im going to post this just to warn anyone else who thought it might be fun (due to its cast):

The Expendables is really quite bad. My wife and I just tried to watch it and turned it off halfway through.[/QUOTE]

It's so bad it's hilarious. Can't wait for Expendables 2.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Saw Bully last night. Pretty depressing movie and doesn't really provide any answers, but illuminating anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a pretty fucked up movie. What amazed me the most was that kid who plays a nerd in everything was pretty convincing as a tough guy. The guy who was "Johnny" on The Wire. I still think that's a great movie. Just because it's probably more real than most teen movies. Not so much they bullying, but how the kids act.

EDIT: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0280559/

I don't think showing it to kids would change bullying either. I think it would be more effective if somebody made a serious documentary about Columbine. Because that, tragic as it was, was almost necessary. Don't mean that in a dickhead way, but after that, you had a good long stretch where the popular kids at school treated their "lower" classmates with a little respect. But time passed and shit was back to normal again, once you started having things like that girl who killed herself because her friends ragged on her on MySpace or Facebook or whatever.

My wife and I went to Dark Shadows this weekend. I have to say I can't honestly ever remember being so bored at a movie. We eventually left after an hour or so. One of the only movies we have ever walked out on but damn it wasn't funny or scary or anything except boring. So we left and went to see Avengers for the third time.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, that's a pretty fucked up movie. What amazed me the most was that kid who plays a nerd in everything was pretty convincing as a tough guy. The guy who was "Johnny" on The Wire. I still think that's a great movie. Just because it's probably more real than most teen movies. Not so much they bullying, but how the kids act.

EDIT: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0280559/

I don't think showing it to kids would change bullying either. I think it would be more effective if somebody made a serious documentary about Columbine. Because that, tragic as it was, was almost necessary. Don't mean that in a dickhead way, but after that, you had a good long stretch where the popular kids at school treated their "lower" classmates with a little respect. But time passed and shit was back to normal again, once you started having things like that girl who killed herself because her friends ragged on her on MySpace or Facebook or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if you're joking around, but you got the wrong "Bully"

[quote name='DestroVega']Don't know if you're joking around, but you got the wrong "Bully"[/QUOTE]

Yep, I guess I got the wrong one.

[quote name='Backlash']Despite the thread's title, I'm going to post this just to warn anyone else who thought it might be fun (due to its cast):

The Expendables is really quite bad. My wife and I just tried to watch it and turned it off halfway through.[/QUOTE]This is like the new thing. I had no idea so many people hated The Expendables. I thought it was perfectly serviceable if not exactly that (fun due to its cast). :shrug: I guess everything can't be for everyone.

bread's done
Back