Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='camoor']The original Total Recall really is an excellent movie. Even for this day the story is strange (story elements like radiation mutants, alien artifacts, and interplanetary espionage had rarely been seen in blockbusters up to that point)

For an Arnold movie there is a surprising amount of subtlety hidden behind the outrageous action scenes and over-the-top acting.

There was absolutely no reason to remake it. If they wanted to remake it with a twist, or make a prequel/sequel, then maybe but I see nothing to convince me that the new movie is original in any way.[/QUOTE]

I really don't count it as a remake, because again, it's not trying to be the Arnold movie. It's source is the original story, not the movie. It did it differently which is why I went and saw it. There's no point in remaking a movie if it's going to be the exact same thing, and Total Recall isn't that by a long shot.

The Arnold movie will always be a cheesefest to me. For better or worse, the new Total Recall took the source material more seriously.

Flash of Genius 4/5
- Great movie because it's a true story. If I say anything about it it would probably ruin it, but I will say that the acting was great. Kind of a lighthearted movie about some serious stuff.

Total Recall 4/5
- Just watched it for the 2nd time. Never had seen it until this year. It certainly has it's moments and I agree with what everyone else said here, it can be both cheesy but have some good underlying depth. Looking forward to seeing the new one.

The Breakfast Club 4.5/5
- Saw some of this again, still like it a lot, remember loving it a while back. Thought about how awesome this movie must have been for it's time, if you had seen it when it first came out and especially how good it would be if you were also the age of characters at that time.

Wish Emilio Estevez had been in more recent films. Judd Nelson is ace in this movie, seems very underutilized as an actor. I need to go watch more John Hughes movies again. What happened with him anyways, did he kind of just lose his touch over time?

La Bamba 4/5
- Another film based on a true story. So sad, but great story. Is good for it's budget and what it's trying to be. Best part is the relationships between characters.

Saw Looper based largely on the positive buzz of this thread. I liked it but didn't love it.
I think my biggest issue with sci-fi movies lately is when they "mix" genres. The whole TK thing, while necessary for the plot,just felt out of place in a time travel movie. That and the slow part in the middle of the movie.

What I did like was the low key, non-flashy future this movie presented. It felt like a very realistic and plausible portrayal of the future. The other (and perhaps most) positive aspect of this move was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He did an absolutely amazing job in this movie in portraying a young Bruce Willis. The makeup certainly helped but he did a phenomenal job of even mimicking the slightest mannerisms. His performance was the true highlight of this movie for me.

Fast Five - was really long and I was disappointed that there weren't many car scenes. The ending car chase was ridiculous. A really poor heist film, the cops/fbi were just plain stupid.

[quote name='J7.']The Breakfast Club 4.5/5
- Saw some of this again, still like it a lot, remember loving it a while back. Thought about how awesome this movie must have been for it's time, if you had seen it when it first came out and especially how good it would be if you were also the age of characters at that time.

Wish Emilio Estevez had been in more recent films. Judd Nelson is ace in this movie, seems very underutilized as an actor. I need to go watch more John Hughes movies again. What happened with him anyways, did he kind of just lose his touch over time?[/QUOTE]

John Hughes didn't direct as much as he wrote (though he did direct Ferris Beuller and Weird science, and Planes Trains and Automobiles... Last directorial effort 1991's Curly Sue) He wrote a TON of great films over his life. The last film he wrote before his death was Drillbit Taylor.

[quote name='zman73']John Hughes didn't direct as much as he wrote (though he did direct Ferris Beuller and Weird science, and Planes Trains and Automobiles... Last directorial effort 1991's Curly Sue) He wrote a TON of great films over his life. The last film he wrote before his death was Drillbit Taylor.[/QUOTE]

Went out on high note.

[quote name='zman73']John Hughes didn't direct as much as he wrote (though he did direct Ferris Beuller and Weird science, and Planes Trains and Automobiles... Last directorial effort 1991's Curly Sue) He wrote a TON of great films over his life. The last film he wrote before his death was Drillbit Taylor.[/QUOTE]

Ya I don't care if he only wrote it because those films are just as good as the ones he directed. For some reason I keep thinking he had something to do with Back to the Future.

God Bless America- It's a movie showcasing things that are wrong about America. Sure it's about a guy with head cancer going postal but the underlying message is America would be a better place if people were not like this.

It was a good watch.

[quote name='camoor']The original Total Recall really is an excellent movie. Even for this day the story is strange (story elements like radiation mutants, alien artifacts, and interplanetary espionage had rarely been seen in blockbusters up to that point)

For an Arnold movie there is a surprising amount of subtlety hidden behind the outrageous action scenes and over-the-top acting.

There was absolutely no reason to remake it. If they wanted to remake it with a twist, or make a prequel/sequel, then maybe but I see nothing to convince me that the new movie is original in any way.[/QUOTE]
i agree that TR was a good movie but I'm ok with a remake.

[quote name='Javery']Cowboys and Aliens. Total garbage. I can't believe how bad it was.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the first half. It fell apart.

[quote name='DestroVega']I really liked the first half. It fell apart.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'll give you the first half hour but the entire movie made absolutely zero sense and the aliens were just dumb. I won't even get into the silliness of the alien plan and their motivation/method for carrying it out. They had to have started filming this one before the script was complete.

[quote name='shrike4242']Smart decision.[/QUOTE]

Great movie. It's doing terrible at the box office but it was refreshing (pun?) to see a movie that was dark and gritty. Glad he didn't take the helmet off, really built up the character into more than just another hollywood face. Doesn't hurt either that the movie was actually good and the leading lady was attractive enough.

[quote name='J7.']Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 3.75/5 - Started off good but slowly went downhill the entire film.[/QUOTE]

I loved it

[quote name='J7.']Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 3.75/5 - Started off good but slowly went downhill the entire film.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought it was pretty great.

[quote name='moon_knight']The Wolf Man- Classic movies fucking suck[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...you should watch the original Dracula if you want to see a sucky movie. Nosferatu was far better imo.

[quote name='dohdough']LOLZ...you should watch the original Dracula if you want to see a sucky movie. Nosferatu was far better imo.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap!

[quote name='dohdough']LOLZ...you should watch the original Dracula if you want to see a sucky movie. Nosferatu was far better imo.[/QUOTE]
Wolfman was ok..... I plan on checking out all the universal classics and both nosferatus.

[quote name='moon_knight']Wolfman was ok..... I plan on checking out all the universal classics and both nosferatus.[/QUOTE]

So, first it fucking sucked and now it's ok? Alrighty then. The Wolfman is a fantastic Universal horror movie, but my favorite would be Creature From The Black Lagoon, definitely check that out.

[quote name='tcrash247']So, first it fucking sucked and now it's ok? Alrighty then. The Wolfman is a fantastic Universal horror movie, but my favorite would be Creature From The Black Lagoon, definitely check that out.[/QUOTE]
I was lying the first time. The remake was a billion times better in every possible way.

[quote name='dastly75']Dredd - good, shame it's not doing better in the box office[/QUOTE]

I really liked it as well. Definitely sad how badly it bombed, especially since it was the best movie to come out that week.

[quote name='whoknows']I really liked it as well. Definitely sad how badly it bombed, especially since it was the best movie to come out that week.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't help that the Sylvester Stalone version is the most memorable one of the two. With that horrid trash of the last movie as the marker for the new movie, do you honestly think it would have done well?

The House of the Devil on Netflix. Very old school feel horror movie. Very slow, but didn't quite hit me with the horror like I thought it might. A couple violent parts (one took me by surprise with how sudden it was), but not terrible.

[quote name='4thHorseman']The House of the Devil on Netflix. Very old school feel horror movie. Very slow, but didn't quite hit me with the horror like I thought it might. A couple violent parts (one took me by surprise with how sudden it was), but not terrible.[/QUOTE]

That movie does a fantastic job of not only making you feel like it's definitely set in the 80s but also gives you the feel that it was actually filmed in the 80s as well. Not a particularly spectacular movie but definitely worth seeing because it really sets the bar for "retro/nostalgia". Also, the fact that they did this... The House of the Devil (VHS/DVD Bundle)

The spiritual successor/followup to The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers, on the other hand is just plain terrible. I didn't even finish watching it I was so bored with it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That movie does a fantastic job of not only making you feel like it's definitely set in the 80s but also gives you the feel that it was actually filmed in the 80s as well. Not a particularly spectacular movie but definitely worth seeing because it really sets the bar for "retro/nostalgia". Also, the fact that they did this... The House of the Devil (VHS/DVD Bundle)[/QUOTE]

I thought it said it was made in...2005 or something, but while I was watching it, I had to double check on IMDB that it wasn't just a re-release or something. It just felt so much like an old 80's movie that it had me completely fooled. I don't know how they have the film look the way it does, but damn if it wasn't a great nod to those olden days.

Snow White and the Huntsman
215px-Snow_White_and_the_Huntsman_Poster.jpg

thought every one was casted perfectly except for Kristen Stewart (as Snow White). She seriously doesn't change her expression at all during the entire movie. I was actually getting mad at her for not expressing any emotion when the movie was trying to get better but her performance was awful.

Nevertheless, even with her awful acting, the movie exceeded my expectations. I would even buy it (if it's cheap enough).

Cabin In The Woods

Sorry Cabin fans, but this was one of the worst movies I've seen, I just did not understand what they were gong for. Was it trying to make fun of the horror genre? I rather watch a REAL actual horror film.

Duh Green Lantern - 2/10

Considering, I knew it had Ryan Reynolds and I didn't have any expectations this was going to be any good at all it wasn't as bad as I thought I suppose...

[quote name='dastly75']Dredd - good, shame it's not doing better in the box office[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jousley']Dredd 3d and it was violent and graphic and gory....and I loved it.[/QUOTE]

I just can't believe this got as much positive reviews as this... wtf.

Sinister - Very unsettling and creepy movie. Actually scary unlike a lot of horror movies. I was really looking forward to it and it delivered unlike the last horror movie I was excited for that turned out to be a huge letdown (Silent House).

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']No input on Here Comes the Boom? LOL I am disappoint. I thought people were going to be fighting over each other to get spots to watch that one.

/sarcasm[/QUOTE]
i actually do want to see it. I like Kevin James. He can be funny when they don't force the fatness (Grown ups, Dilemma, Hitch)

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Cabin In The Woods

Sorry Cabin fans, but this was one of the worst movies I've seen, I just did not understand what they were gong for. Was it trying to make fun of the horror genre? I rather watch a REAL actual horror film.[/QUOTE]i agree it was confusing thematically. Homage, Parody, or Genre expanding.. it's never really clear.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Cabin In The Woods

Sorry Cabin fans, but this was one of the worst movies I've seen, I just did not understand what they were gong for. Was it trying to make fun of the horror genre? I rather watch a REAL actual horror film.[/QUOTE]

It was an IQ test and you failed.

[quote name='whoknows']Sinister - Very unsettling and creepy movie. Actually scary unlike a lot of horror movies. I was really looking forward to it and it delivered unlike the last horror movie I was excited for that turned out to be a huge letdown (Silent House).[/QUOTE]
Lawn Party.

[quote name='whoknows']Sinister - Very unsettling and creepy movie. Actually scary unlike a lot of horror movies. I was really looking forward to it and it delivered unlike the last horror movie I was excited for that turned out to be a huge letdown (Silent House).[/QUOTE]

The new Silent Hill movie trailer actaully looks pretty good. Looks like they're going with a loose adaptation of the first game combined with elements from the third game.

Little late to the party but I saw Lawless about a week ago. I enjoyed it. I have never been anti-Shia so he didn't bother me. The violence was pretty heavy when there was any action. The main villain really kept me on my toes cause you never knew how far he would go to further his agenda.

bread's done
Back