Surprisingly the Last TV Show You Saw was Good

Broadchurch - 9/10

A thoroughly entertaining murder mystery drama which focuses on a single murder in a small English town. Great cast, great writing and great cinematography make for a near perfect show/miniseries. Highly recommended.

Looked to post this in the Dexter thread, even searched for it, to no avail.

TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, Showtime’s president, David Nevins, revealed there’s still a chance for a Dexter spinoff. And that if it happens, it would be about… Dexter.

Ummmmmmmmm.... So this Dexter spin-off show would be.... Dexter?

I dunno if there should be more. Outside of Ray Stevenson and Miranda from Mass Effect 2/3, I'm not really feeling season 7 so far. 

Looked to post this in the Dexter thread, even searched for it, to no avail.

TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, Showtime’s president, David Nevins, revealed there’s still a chance for a Dexter spinoff. And that if it happens, it would be about… Dexter.

Ummmmmmmmm.... So this Dexter spin-off show would be.... Dexter?
So...a spin-on?

Oh and finally decided to sit down and watch the whole series of Avatar the Last Airbender. Just finished season 1 and on season 2 now. The story heavy episodes are fantastic, the filler episodes where there is a stupid lesson to be learned and people keep constantly saying "It's my fault" "no it isn't" are goddamn annoying. That and it reminds me how M. Night Shamalama should stay in movie jail and never write, direct or produce anything since he fucked up the film adaptation that bad.

Sons of Anarchy Season 6 - 8/10

At this point you know what you're in for with SoA and this season does not disappoint. Nice setup for the final season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3 and the conclusion were awesome. Now watching The Legend of Korra and holy fuck they really took what they learned from Avatar and kicked it up a notch, while making sure not to go same familiar routes.  That and the animation is goddamn gorgeous.

I'm not quite sure if True Detective is as smart as it appears yet, but I'm hooked.  The padding of all the interview time I don't like but once they get back to the story it's gripping.

Also, those tits. . . O_O

Dexter Season 7 - 9/10 - I enjoyed all the stuff with Cirko and Hannah McKay. I didn't really enjoy the stuff about Doakes/LaGuerta. That seems like it could have been done a long time ago. 

I'm not quite sure if True Detective is as smart as it appears yet, but I'm hooked. The padding of all the interview time I don't like but once they get back to the story it's gripping.

Also, those tits. . . O_O
Insane tits for a really thin chick.

Finished season 1 of Legend of Korra on Amazon Prime Instant. Yeah, I liked it ahelluvalot more than I thought I would. Now I'm trying to DVR all of season 2.

I watched the Simpsons movie for the first time and am now on an oldschool Simpsons kick. Just got done watching one of my favorite episodes, "Marge vs. the Monorail".

*singing crowd* MONORAIL!

Homer: Mono...d'oh!

Finished the Greatest Event in Television History.  I do agree it is a lot of work for a 12 min piece. I do want to see a Magnum PI remake with Chris Pratt as Thomas Magnum, and Nick Offerman as Higgins.

Ah, see now this is what I knew was going to happen with True Detective: they're starting to pad the episodes with drama elements until it engulfs it.  It was far more interesting getting to know the two guys and find clues than their home life, which has reared its ugly head tonight.  There's still some moments of brilliance, but for this episode you could skip to the last five minutes and gain all progression they have on the case.

Also, god damn superbowl interrupting my crime drama scheduling. . .

Being Human

I heard it was a good show, but haven't really been motivated to watch until my gf decided to just have it on in the background. It's actually REALLY good.

Finally finished Breaking Bad, one of the few cases the hype was justified. Wonder what it would have felt like watching it while it is on.

Community season 5 is shaping up very nicely.

Finished season 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man. Pretty good stuff. Well, except Iron "every line is a cliche" Fist. 

Yu-Gi-Oh Season 3 - The Noa arc had potential, and I liked the idea of Deck Masters, but Noa himself was so freaking annoying. Thankfully, the Battle City finals made up for it, and thanks to Flatiron I can sell the Noa arc with no missing episodes.

Powerpuff Girls Special - The altered art style took some getting used to, but the plot was pure Powerpuff. Biggest gripe is that the episode moved extremely fast, lacking any of the beats or pauses that the original show had.

Monster Rancher Season 1 - A bland beginning, but it improves by the end of the season. Digimon and Pokemon have more creative monster designs though.

Whose Line is it Anyway? - I need to stop watching this show during dinner. Have to say, Nyima was awesome and way better than Kathy Greenwood. And Ryan macing himself was great.

Also, I don't know if I should be surprised that they have a ukelele.

Power Rangers Super Megaforce was actually pretty OK, though "Super Mega Win" is stupid even for Power Rangers.

I am curious if Bandai will even attempt to explain how they can access the SPD (which chronogically have not been created yet) and RPM (different dimension) powers.

Super Megaforce was Bandai's cash-in on the One Piece craze at the time. Goseiger is about a bunch of Space Pirates who have the powers of every single Power Ranger multiverse. Don't worry about chronology, since the multiverse thing is heady enough.

Yu-Gi-Oh Season 3 - The Noa arc had potential, and I liked the idea of Deck Masters, but Noa himself was so freaking annoying. Thankfully, the Battle City finals made up for it, and thanks to Flatiron I can sell the Noa arc with no missing episodes.
I hated that part of the season.

Super Megaforce was Bandai's cash-in on the One Piece craze at the time. Goseiger is about a bunch of Space Pirates who have the powers of every single Power Ranger multiverse. Don't worry about chronology, since the multiverse thing is heady enough.
Power Rangers doesn't use the multiverse rule. The only series to take place in a different universe is RPM, every other show is in the same continuity. Heck, Super Megaforce doesn't even get rid of the Tensei suits. The Goseiger suits are just an alternate mode. Also, Saban (who is in charge, Bandai just does the toys) got rid of all the pirate aesthetics. The Rangers act the same as they did last season.

Damn I'm surprised power rangers is still a thing.
Disney tried to kill the series multiple times and actually did (after telling the RPM staff "This is the last season so do whatever") but Saban bought the series and all their other properties back from Disney, hence why we finally got Digimon boxsets and why Samurai/Megaforce and Digimon Fusion are now airing on Nickelodeon.

Samurai actually got huge marketing blitz and took up plenty of space at Toys R Us. Megaforce tried, but Nickelodeon didn't really care. However, the fandom is probably as big as it has ever been since MMPR Season 2.

Also, Toei makes a ton of money from Power Rangers and its source series, Super Sentai, is still as big as ever.

I'm guessing its not particularly popular here in the UK as much as the US then. I swear as a kid it was everywhere and then I know they had a few different ones but I haven't seen any mention of them in years, outside of the internet.

Yea, the series was up and down in the UK. Some seasons were skipped outright, others only got part of the season.

my girlfriend and I started House of Cards tonight.  Watched the first 3 episodes, like it so far.  As usual, Spacey brings a good performance.

I'm guessing its not particularly popular here in the UK as much as the US then. I swear as a kid it was everywhere and then I know they had a few different ones but I haven't seen any mention of them in years, outside of the internet.
I think broadcasting rules were weirder in the UK. I think up until the 90s, fire or Ninjas couldn't be shown on screen (at least on children's television programming.) Those these days, the standards aren't as strict as here in the States, though some things may be odd to us Americans. So not having Power Rangers on the air because of "concerns" may be a big reason why it's not as popular.

I think it's popular in the US because most of the fans remember it from their childhood but haven't seen an actual episode in quite some time, so they have this preconceived notion that the show is clearly about a bunch of teenagers with attitude who fight in rubber suits against rubber monsters, practically the same feeling some people get with Godzilla. Odds are if you're a serious Godzilla fan, you'll probably get a kick out of watching all those Japanese super hero TV shows, that for some reason always have a serious tone no matter what the monster of the week.

Here's an article about the differences between the first Power Rangers series and its original Japanese version: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/17/us-autos-uaw-idUSBREA1G1E820140217

Anyway,WTF? They took out the pirate theme? Methinks Bandai had a hand in that despite the fact that they also sell One Piece merchandise. They must somehow think that the so-so popularity of One Piece here in the States might hurt the chances of a Pirate Power Rangers? What about the Pirates of the Caribbean?! Swear to god, marketers are just jerks.

Sure removing a lot of the pirate stuff is very reminiscent of what the Power Rangers did when they became Ninjas but jeez.

There were many reasons for removing the pirate theme.

1) Because Disney skipped Shikenger and just aired a "reversioned" edition of MMPR, the American staff was 2 years behind.

2) Since Niceklodeon wanted Samurai to be 2 seasons spread out over 2 years, that caused then to fall further behind.

3) In order to try and catch up, Saban condensed Goseiger into 20 episodes (Megaforce) and then inserted Gokaiger in the second half (Super Megaforce). The cast themselves are the same, the Rangers use the Legend Key to transform from the Goseiger suits to the Gokaiger suits, and then morph again to whatever suit they're borrowing.

Nick might have had a hand in it too.

Bates Motel - Pretty good. It got gradually better and more tense as the season went on. However, both Norma and Norman could be pretty damn annoying at times and it really bugged me. At times, the show even has a huge lack of common sense. That being said, the ending was nice and I look forward to season 2.

Just letting anyone know if you aren't watching True Detective you are fuckin' up
It's good, but the tough cop act from Rust feels a bit over the top. He's by far the more interesting character on the show but it feels a little forced and tends to break the immersion of what's going on. The show could have benefited from dropping the 'interviewing' altogether but I'm not sure how they could make it work that way.

It's good, but the tough cop act from Rust feels a bit over the top. He's by far the more interesting character on the show but it feels a little forced and tends to break the immersion of what's going on. The show could have benefited from dropping the 'interviewing' altogether but I'm not sure how they could make it work that way.
Yeah that part makes the show.

I take that back, Orange Is The New Black is kind of...dumb. I can't watch this because I keep thinking why would she turn herself in after 10 YEARS after the crime. She put herself in that position by voluntarily going to prison and that to me doesn't make sense.

I take that back, Orange Is The New Black is kind of...dumb. I can't watch this because I keep thinking why would she turn herself in after 10 YEARS after the crime. She put herself in that position by voluntarily going to prison and that to me doesn't make sense.
I thought it wasn't terrible but I certainly think it's one of the weaker Netflix originals, House of Cards being the absolute pinnacle of their originals. Orange is the New Black just sort of feels like a PG/PG13 version of Oz with the whole "straight laced person out of their element in person" vibe. It has its moments but the weirdest part of it is the inconsistent tone, at times it gets super serious and other times it's borderline slapstick.

Started watching Hannibal. I'm surprised this is a network TV show based on the violence and how goddamn good it is. Just the way things are filmed and the set design all deserve praise along with the characters.

Started watching Hannibal. I'm surprised this is a network TV show based on the violence and how goddamn good it is. Just the way things are filmed and the set design all deserve praise along with the characters.
Hannibal was my favourite new show last year. Looks gorgeous in high def. Season 2 should be equally brilliant.

bread's done
Back