target kindle fire clearance ymmv

Status
Not open for further replies.

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
on my cellphone typing this excuse the grammar. was at target and was told kindle fire being clearanced out starting tomorrow.

Edit:
Not all Targets are notified of the clearance yet. I been to 2 and only 1 of them confirmed the clearance. They will drop like the video game clearances (30%, 50%, 70%-75%). I highly doubt it will go to 50% since its all over the news right now that Target will no longer be carrying amazon's e-reader products (I did not ask about the other kindles but I assume they will be clearing out too).

img20120502163946.jpg

My store still has a ton of them but I had a manager nice enough to reserve one for me for 24 hours.

Edit:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9596650&postcount=167

Last edited by a moderator:
Full price here (Richmond, VA) as well.
I'm going to blame this ruse on Anonymous. I'm sure they are pissed they'll be the bad guys in the next Call of Duty. Perhaps this is their retaliation? :lol:

Did people really think they were going to clearance these RIGHT after the announcement? The memo clearly states that they are going to be in this weeks ad (maybe a slight sale price) but I'd think they wouldn't clearance them until after may 13 when they are no longer being resupplied.

[quote name='HunteR7411']Did people really think they were going to clearance these RIGHT after the announcement? The memo clearly states that they are going to be in this weeks ad (maybe a slight sale price) but I'd think they wouldn't clearance them until after may 13 when they are no longer being resupplied.[/QUOTE]

Yes, people thought so. I mean, how many pages of posts are of people going and checking? Why ask questions so easy to answer?

I agree with you, though. I don't expect them to clearance these bad boys until they give it a good shot selling as many as possible on Mother's Day at a minor "sale price."

i believe the employees at target get a list of products that are going on clearance and what level of clearance they will be at and they have to go around and enter those into the system for the change to take effect. Im sure it's not the first thing on their agenda when they clock in, chances are they havent gotten around to it, which makes going there early a bad idea. price might be changed later today.

Glad I made the decision last night to hold off. Looks like the Fire sale is either a hoax or Target hasn't gone over their stock with price changes yet.

[quote name='Solomon87']And no, Target never clearances out GiftCards, NEVER. I don't care what anyone says in this thread, ive worked at Target for 7 years and last 3 in electronics, Giftcards get destroyed if they no longer will be sold.[/QUOTE]

Ok dude.

You're wrong, but ok.

Might try for giftcards if they are 30% off. Great way to get the tablet I really want (transformer tf300) for 280 instead of 400

[quote name='Solomon87']And no, Target never clearances out GiftCards, NEVER. I don't care what anyone says in this thread, ive worked at Target for 7 years and last 3 in electronics, Giftcards get destroyed if they no longer will be sold.[/QUOTE]

If u look at the clearance thread you would see that they have with kindle cards..... Maybe not at your store, but it has happened

no luck in the middletown ny store. Had the associate scan it and came up 199. Also he said he hasnt heard anything about it but another customer asked. So maybe this weekend? They had stock just no markdowns. And no gift cards of it either.

The guys at Target in Reading, PA (Exeter Township) looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about the kindles being on clearance. They said, no way, they never discount them. The one guy said he does the ordering for electronics and he knew of no such plan to clearance them.

I think my target may have jumped the gun on the earlier clearance than they were suppose to, I went in 30 minutes ago to pick up my kindle fire and the ones I saw in the case yesterday were all removed. Manager told me they were instructed to hold them for now but would still sell me the one he put on reserve for me plus the difference on a target gift card.

Looks like the clearance may be awhile coming. Making a worldwide announcement that you are no longer going to be carrying them isn't exactly the same as announcing a nationwide clearance sale. I was in Target yesterday and noticed the entire display area for Kindles was gone. That was my ghetto Target, not the 2 nice big ones.

On a related note, I was looking into a Fire until the Tab 2 released last month for $250. Even at $140 the Tab 2 still looks like a better deal - for general use, I'm not a Prime member. For $100 though I'ld get a new Fire just to mess around with it.

[quote name='rjejr']Looks like the clearance may be awhile coming. Making a worldwide announcement that you are no longer going to be carrying them isn't exactly the same as announcing a nationwide clearance sale. I was in Target yesterday and noticed the entire display area for Kindles was gone. That was my ghetto Target, not the 2 nice big ones.

On a related note, I was looking into a Fire until the Tab 2 released last month for $250. Even at $140 the Tab 2 still looks like a better deal - for general use, I'm not a Prime member. For $100 though I'ld get a new Fire just to mess around with it.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a dedicated MP 3 player (since my phone is a nightmare to deal with... just waiting till I can upgrade later this year >

Nothing in Warren, MI

Sounds like a smokescreen thus far.

I would get one for $100, $140 is tempting since I now have Amazon Prime. Any way to watch those on another tablet?

[quote name='jdawgg76']Maybe they'll be clearanced on Mondays like normal electronics...[/QUOTE]

That Samuel L Jackson sig is genius!

LOL, bogus deal is bogus. Great way to get more traffic into the store, but no discount yet at any of the locations in LA/west LA (called around this morning and stopped in at 2 on the route to the office).

I did write down all of the various Kindle device DPCIs that were on shelf tags; it's up to you all to figure out which DPCI goes with which model as there were over a dozen different DPCIs, probably even more out there:

057-17-0017
057-17-0018
057-17-0019
057-17-0021
057-17-0027
057-17-0028
057-17-0029
057-17-0030
057-17-0031
057-17-0032
057-17-0034 -> 3G $149.00
057-17-0035 -> Kindle Fire 199.00
057-17-0052
057-17-0053
057-17-0054

Last edited by a moderator:
Full price in Salisbury, MD as well. No signs, no "do not restock" stickers, no nothing. This is either a huge hoax, an extreme YMMV situation, or it was way WAY early for it.

Is there even any proof that Target is putting them on clearance or is it all just hearsay? The news reports only said Target was going to stop carrying them.

[quote name='MikeE021286']what is the Amazon prime tie-in with the Kindle/Kindle Fire? I have Prime, so I'm curious...[/QUOTE]

Amazon instant video/streaming and Kindle Lender's club or something like that. basically you can rent up to one book a month for free.

[quote name='bug_nuts']If u look at the clearance thread you would see that they have with kindle cards..... Maybe not at your store, but it has happened[/QUOTE]

I guess it doesn't matter that i actually work at Target and know everything there is to know versus some CAG members huh? If they got something for clearance that will never be put on clearance, then someone at that store fucked up. Stand procedure for any gift cards is to just go discontinue and then destroy them if we will no longer carry something. Do you really think we clearance out cards that have no cash value until someone purchases it? It's just a piece of plastic with a code.

[quote name='Jesse757x']Is there even any proof that Target is putting them on clearance or is it all just hearsay? The news reports only said Target was going to stop carrying them.[/QUOTE]

It is total hearsay from some cag member who says he talked to a manager. We have only been instructed to remove the kindles, either they go clearance starting at 10 percent or we send them back to Amazon.

[quote name='MikeE021286']what is the Amazon prime tie-in with the Kindle/Kindle Fire? I have Prime, so I'm curious...[/QUOTE]

If you have a PAID prime sub, you can watch the video on the Kindle Fire....not many tablets (if any) have this option (to my knowledge). I know the PS3 allows it.

Why are people angry at TARGET for wasting their time when they read it on a deal forum without any confirmation and ran out to get it?

[quote name='confoosious']Why are people angry at TARGET for wasting their time when they read it on a deal forum without any confirmation and ran out to get it?[/QUOTE]

Because the life blood of the internet is people complaining about things.

[quote name='Solomon87']I guess it doesn't matter that i actually work at Target and know everything there is to know versus some CAG members huh? If they got something for clearance that will never be put on clearance, then someone at that store fucked up. Stand procedure for any gift cards is to just go discontinue and then destroy them if we will no longer carry something. Do you really think we clearance out cards that have no cash value until someone purchases it? It's just a piece of plastic with a code.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've worked at every Target across the country then? :lol:

[quote name='Squall835']Because the life blood of the internet is people complaining about things.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunate but absolutely spot on.

[quote name='doubledown']If you have a PAID prime sub, you can watch the video on the Kindle Fire....not many tablets (if any) have this option (to my knowledge). I know the PS3 allows it.[/QUOTE]

I watch free prime instant video on my touch pad. Its a nice feature but being able to use couch tuner on it rules!!!

Sent my wife to check te local target, no clearance but the employee said he seen the notice but he dosnt know when they will clearance, he just told her to keep checking back.

[quote name='admiralvic'] so I can control my set top box + tv + apple tv with the Galaxy Tab 2. [/QUOTE]

You can control an Apple TV w/ a Samsung device? Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

Kidding aside, the IR, GPS and 2 cameras seem enough added value for me over the Fire @ $199, even $140. I currently have the iPod Touch (4th) and there are occasions when I'ld like to have GPS and a larger screen. Thanks for the feedback.

A couple people over on slickdeals have posted receipts so it seems to be legit at a couple locations. The Houston Meyerland Target it close to me and the associate I talked to said that I had to purchase a accessory in order to get 30% off any kindle (including the Fire).

Except as a last resort I don't see them clearancing these at all. You'd think for such a set-price item then just wait it out and only clearance them if they have stock that they absolutely can't sell. And if there are a few Targets doing this right now...well what can I say? Some Targets are EXTREMELY quick to put things out on clearance, and Target clearance in general is always YMMV, so.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']This guy has really good instructions! Be sure to check through his vids for other helpful info!!! :)

The camera isn't working yet on the Android side....but, you will have your WebOS on the other side of your Touchpad with the camera. I check that side once every 1,000 years!:) Also, download the Flash Player from the Android Market after you install the software. WebOS is running well, but I am hooked on Android.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links. I think I may actually work up the courage to install android on my touchpad. I don't actually have to wipe out WebOS before I make it dual boot correct? I would like to keep everything currently on it as it is right now if possible.

[quote name='sp8001']Lol at the people in tents. Just sad, that's all...[/QUOTE]

I think that was a joke, my friend. ;)

As for my Target, there's currently no orders to clearance out our Kindles. Go figure.

I was working this morning, if you're wondering.

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']They are clearing them out as Amazon is a competitor and they are going to replace it with the Nook.[/QUOTE]

No. That was not the problem. Target isn't in the e-reader business itself, so does not consider Amazon a competitor on that front.

They simply weren't selling enough accessories to make it worth selling the no-profit base hardware. The Apple iPad remains an item they carry because the accessory business is good.

They carry what makes them money. Simple as that. They're unlikely to start carrying Nook for the same reason. They wouldn't expect it to generate the needed accessory sales.

[quote name='Solomon87']I guess it doesn't matter that i actually work at Target and know everything there is to know versus some CAG members huh? If they got something for clearance that will never be put on clearance, then someone at that store fucked up. Stand procedure for any gift cards is to just go discontinue and then destroy them if we will no longer carry something. Do you really think we clearance out cards that have no cash value until someone purchases it? It's just a piece of plastic with a code.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

Perhaps you should follow CAG's stand procedures regarding acting like a douche?

[quote name='ooga']Thanks for the links. I think I may actually work up the courage to install android on my touchpad. I don't actually have to wipe out WebOS before I make it dual boot correct? I would like to keep everything currently on it as it is right now if possible.[/QUOTE]

http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-install-android-4-0-on-the-hp-touchpad-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html

That's what I used... It's not hard but if you screw up one step you're screwed. If you're kind of unsure about doing it back sure you first look up what to do (and get the programs you need) if you need to doctor it back to health.

[quote name='rjejr']You can control an Apple TV w/ a Samsung device? Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

Kidding aside, the IR, GPS and 2 cameras seem enough added value for me over the Fire @ $199, even $140. I currently have the iPod Touch (4th) and there are occasions when I'ld like to have GPS and a larger screen. Thanks for the feedback.[/QUOTE]

Actually it has more than that. The Fire has a slicker surface like the touchpad, so scratchs are very apparent, plus it is harder to hold. The Galaxy has a plastic back similar to a remote, so it's not that hard to hold/looks better even with scratches. To my knowledge the Fire is on Gingerbread with no official ICS, where as the Galaxy is on ICS. I am also sure there are a few more important differences, though there is more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back