Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

Ackbar, I've got a few bones to pick with your analysis. Mainly because it's totally from a pub-play perspective. I'm not calling you a noob in some elitist fashion but they are pretty much two different games, public TF2 and competitive.

CTF_2Fort is a pretty bad map due to one flaw, all points can be covered by one sentry and that totally cockblocks the entire enemy team unless they get an uber, even then it's still a sentry fast (As are all CTF maps which is their greatest flaw) The only way to make Turbine and 2fort viable is an Engi limit of 1.

Badlands middle point cap requires lots of teamwork to get back, namely killing their medic (Assuming both teams have medics which you should) After which you uber in. It's all about holding the chokepoints and pushing out. Badlands was mainly a bone thrown to competitive players which Valve doesn't do as often as I'd like but whatever.

arena would be cool if the team simply had a set number of lives and once those lives were out you couldn't respawn. dying once and waiting 5 minutes doing nothing is not fun.

i didn't realize hydro was such a hated map, but i guess when i think about it it hardly ever gets played. i really like it.

Did they increase the drop rates or is there a way to cheat the system? I idled on the clanwoof server for three hours and got every new unlock and two of each hats.

Looks like they just brought back achievement milestones:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/2545/

# Added Sniper/Spy milestone achievements as an additional way players can get the new unlockables
# Arena Mode

* Added tf_arena_use_queue server convar. Turn this on to get the old queue behavior. Default is off
* Added tf_arena_round_time to set a timelimit on the round

# Added the userid of the player who built the teleporter to the "player_teleported" event
# Fixed player killed event causing server crash
# Fixed Spies not being telefragged when standing on an enemy teleporter exit with the Dead Ringer enabled
# Fixed attackers seeing the mini-crit particle effect for full crits if the victim has the Jarate effect enabled
# Fixed the Ambassador not doing damage to buildings
# Fixed Spies disguised as their own team not drawing blood effects
# Fixed players killed by flaming arrows not showing the appropriate death icon

^ cool, although the old milestones were still in place as was discussed over at the steam boards. Glad to see they added another way though I got most of the sniper/spy unlocks now, but since I'm a noob need some of the "older" unlocks.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Did they increase the drop rates or is there a way to cheat the system? I idled on the clanwoof server for three hours and got every new unlock and two of each hats.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the infamous server glitch that some have gotten that gives all the hats. Any chance you could post the ip address or give the full name of the server as I would like to see if I could get lucky. And the TF2 server selection screen sucks that you cannot search for a server by name.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']CTF_2Fort is a pretty bad map due to one flaw, all points can be covered by one sentry and that totally cockblocks the entire enemy team unless they get an uber, even then it's still a sentry fast (As are all CTF maps which is their greatest flaw) The only way to make Turbine and 2fort viable is an Engi limit of 1.[/QUOTE]
I think Turbine is fine as it is. Sentry nests aren't as hard to take down as they are in 2fort and utilizes all the classes pretty well. At first, I didn't like it but it kinda grew on me. If you limit to 1 engi on that map, I think it'd be too hard to defend the intel. It's for sure one of the better CTF maps and I don't see any tweaks it really needs unless we're talking about cosmetically.

[quote name='Owen']Sounds like the infamous server glitch that some have gotten that gives all the hats. Any chance you could post the ip address or give the full name of the server as I would like to see if I could get lucky. And the TF2 server selection screen sucks that you cannot search for a server by name.[/QUOTE]

I thought you can search by name if you uncheck the option of like I forget, lower left corner it will not show map pictures but a full list of servers?

New update 5/29:

Team Fortress 2 Update Released
MAY 29, 2009, 4:30 PM - VALVE - PRODUCT UPDATE

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Added Sniper/Spy milestone achievements as an additional way players can get the new unlockables
Arena Mode
Added tf_arena_use_queue server convar. Turn this on to get the old queue behavior. Default is off
Added tf_arena_round_time to set a timelimit on the round
Added the userid of the player who built the teleporter to the "player_teleported" event
Fixed player killed event causing server crash
Fixed Spies not being telefragged when standing on an enemy teleporter exit with the Dead Ringer enabled
Fixed attackers seeing the mini-crit particle effect for full crits if the victim has the Jarate effect enabled
Fixed the Ambassador not doing damage to buildings
Fixed Spies disguised as their own team not drawing blood effects
Fixed players killed by flaming arrows not showing the appropriate death icon

[quote name='lordwow']Now that I know how to use the flare gun... it's amazing.[/QUOTE]

It helps that they buffed the damage to 30 each shot.

[quote name='Owen']Sounds like the infamous server glitch that some have gotten that gives all the hats. Any chance you could post the ip address or give the full name of the server as I would like to see if I could get lucky. And the TF2 server selection screen sucks that you cannot search for a server by name.[/QUOTE]
^) 24/7 Pipeline #1 - HLSTATSX/RECRUITING ClanWoof.com 208.115.117.87:27015 (Join)
I believe it was that one

[quote name='itachiitachi']^) 24/7 Pipeline #1 - HLSTATSX/RECRUITING ClanWoof.com 208.115.117.87:27015 (Join)
I believe it was that one[/QUOTE]

I am going to test this server out, see what happens.

Edit: I used to play on a server that had "fucksalt" and "bobsaget" soundbytes on it when you typed the words. Does anyone know of any servers with this mod?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lordwow']Now that I know how to use the flare gun... it's amazing.[/QUOTE]

I love it too. I played a three hour session last night and got 62 "attention getter" hits toward the achievement. Awesome!

I just unlocked the flare gun the other day through the pyro milestone (and then got one a few hours later randomly) and I'm loving it. It's totally replaced the shotgun for my pyro, I love setting people on fire from a distance.

Kotaku interviewed the team behind the Meet the Team videos. The most interesting quotes:

"The number of people at this point who want us going off and making full length movies and that sort of stuff has got to a point where it's hard to ignore,"

"We're not ready to announce anything along those lines, but I don't think there's a person in this company that wouldn't love to see a full-length TF movie or even a 10-minute movie,"

TF2 movie incoming? :pray:

i dont get as many kills with the bow, but god damn is it fun to use.

also the cloak and dagger is retardedly powerful

[quote name='aznguyen316']I don't play spy, but what's diff b/t C&D and regular cloak vs the other watch? Nub here =D[/QUOTE]

Original watch - Continuous Drain, recharges when you pick up material boxes

Cloak and Dagger - Drains only when moving, recharges by standing still

Dead Ringer - When active, any damage done to you will cause 1) A corpse of you to be left on the ground...2) All your cloak to be drained, and 3)Makes you invisible for up to 8 seconds (may be 6, can't remember specific). Requires full cloak to use.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Kotaku interviewed the team behind the Meet the Team videos. The most interesting quotes:

"The number of people at this point who want us going off and making full length movies and that sort of stuff has got to a point where it's hard to ignore,"

"We're not ready to announce anything along those lines, but I don't think there's a person in this company that wouldn't love to see a full-length TF movie or even a 10-minute movie,"

TF2 movie incoming? :pray:[/QUOTE]

OW MAI GAWD! Nice find, sounds awesome if it's true. Of course I'd take bug fixes first, movie second.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']OW MAI GAWD! Nice find, sounds awesome if it's true. Of course I'd take bug fixes first, movie second.[/QUOTE]
Well if they did make a full length movie they would most likely get an outside studio to make it, or set up their own studio for making movies so it wouldn't affect their games. I don't think they want to change Valve into a movie company.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Well if they did make a full length movie they would most likely get an outside studio to make it, or set up their own studio for making movies so it wouldn't affect their games. I don't think they want to change Valve into a movie company.[/QUOTE]

Well bug fixes come from the programmers but the 3D modelers are they people doing Meet The's. So if they devoted those guys to a video it's likely we'd see less maps and unlocks but would still probably get bug fixes.

I doubt an outside studio would do this, I mean who else but Valve could come up with someone like Saxton Hale?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well bug fixes come from the programmers but the 3D modelers are they people doing Meet The's. So if they devoted those guys to a video it's likely we'd see less maps and unlocks but would still probably get bug fixes.

I doubt an outside studio would do this, I mean who else but Valve could come up with someone like Saxton Hale?[/QUOTE]
Well I mean that the Meet the Team writers would write the movie script but an outside team would create the new art and animate it. I doubt Valve would want to tie up all their animators and artists on a movie.

I'd pay a few bucks for a ~20 minute TF2 episode.

Just watched "Meet the Soldier" for the first time in many months. It's still my favorite due to the brilliant surprise ending + UNLESS IT'S A FARM!

boo.. 32 is too much. =[

So I though the S&D would improve my Spy skillz. Nope, I still suck as Spy.

Huntsman is OK. Seems situational to me.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I've decided. If I get my promotion in the next two weeks, I'll shell out the 40 a month for a 32 man TF2 server for CAG's to play on.[/QUOTE]

would be totally sick, but if it saves you money I bet a 24man would be fine, password it for CAGs maybe? I dunno, but yeah good stuff

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Played for around 5 hours until I got another unlock which was a duplicate. God I hate this system.[/QUOTE]
pssst, if you're trying for a specific item do the achievements.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Played for around 5 hours until I got another unlock which was a duplicate. God I hate this system.[/QUOTE]

What's to hate? You can get the items you don't have by doing the achievements as mentioned above. The drops are fine.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Anybody know when the weapon trading update is coming? I unlocked three Ambassadors consecutively tonight...[/QUOTE]

It's Valve so I really do not expect to see the trade function anytime soon. I bet it will be their Christmas or New Years gift to the players.

I legit unlocked 7 additional Force-A-Natures...

Just give me a fuckin' hat, already.

Gawd... sat through 1 1/2 hours of 2fort... got zip for item drops. Is there an average amount of play time before an item drops? It feels so random to me now.

bread's done
Back