Tecmo Bowl Throwback League Disbanded

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeah.... forgot. I'm not big into UFC even though all my guy friends are. they ask me to the bar for the fights and around 11 or so I'll say, ok I'm taking off... and they are like, but the main event hasn't started... and I'm clueless...

no biggie

Anyone on my schedule who wants to play, hit me up!

Tonight, I discovered that this game is exponentially better in 2D while under the influence of a certain leafy green substance that may or may not be legally available in your area. I have a feeling I'll be blazing through this competitive season.

haha wow.

if anyone wants to play today up until like 4 pm est send me a PM

only if you are on this schedule..

WEEK 1 -Lions @ Falcons - Pure Apathy
WEEK 2 -Falcons @ Rams - IICL510II
WEEK 3 -Falcons @ Saints - vampirehunter r
WEEK 4 -Giants @ Falcons - nychrisatl
WEEK 5 -Falcons @ Bears - Stabby Pete
WEEK 6 -Cowboys @ Falcons - EastX
WEEK 8 -Browns @ Falcons - Millertime2325
WEEK 9 -Falcons @ 49ers - Zforce915
WEEK 10 -Steelers @ Falcons - vulcan7905
WEEK 11 -Falcons @ Redskins - coreyandtrevor
WEEK 12 -49ers @ Falcons - Zforce915
WEEK 13 -Falcons @ Oilers - statnut28
WEEK 14 -Falcons @ Vikings - cuta
WEEK 15 -Saints @ Falcons - vampirehunter r
WEEK 16 -
Rams @ Falcons - IICL510II
WEEK 17 -Falcons @ Bucs - Budz04

Here is my schedule. I need to catch up on some games, so if anyone wants to schedule something for Monday night or late Tuesday night, let me know.

WEEK 1

Redskins @ Eagles

WEEK 2

Redskins @ Vikings

WEEK 3

Cowboys @ Redskins

WEEK 4

Eagles @ Redskins

WEEK 5

Redskins @ Giants

WEEK 6

Redskins @ Cardinals

WEEK 7

Off

WEEK 8

49ers @ Redskins

WEEK 9

Redskins @ Saints

WEEK 10

Redskins @ Rams

WEEK 11

Falcons @ Redskins

WEEK 12

Packers @ Redskins

WEEK 13

Redskins @ Lions

WEEK 14

Giants @ Redskins

WEEK 15

Redskins @ Cowboys

WEEK 16

Cardinals @ Redskins

WEEK 17

Bears @ Redskins

I would like to get some games in today. I'm getting ready to go out to eat but I should be able to get back on around 6 PM CST at the latest.

I played three ranked games last night. On all three the other guy quit once he was down a touchdown. This game really needs that update if it wants to have legs.

[quote name='munch']I played three ranked games last night. On all three the other guy quit once he was down a touchdown. This game really needs that update if it wants to have legs.[/QUOTE]

Kotaku reported a patch was coming for that. Wonder what's taking so long.

[quote name='JStryke']You mean this patch?[/QUOTE]

Wow, never saw the follow-up article. That's horrible. I guess this league is the only purpose for online then. Can't believe they didn't have the foresight to see this being a problem and don't give a shit about fixing it. Almost makes me not want to buy the sequel if there is one (although I was surprised they were talking about plans for a second game before this one even came out). Disappointing.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow, never saw the follow-up article. That's horrible. I guess this league is the only purpose for online then. Can't believe they didn't have the foresight to see this being a problem and don't give a shit about fixing it. Almost makes me not want to buy the sequel if there is one (although I was surprised they were talking about plans for a second game before this one even came out). Disappointing.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see the sales figures for Throwback. I am sure it sold quite a bit. Plus how much time, money and effort would they have to put into a sequel?

[quote name='wildcpac']I would love to see the sales figures for Throwback. I am sure it sold quite a bit. Plus how much time, money and effort would they have to put into a sequel?[/QUOTE]

I don't think they did. There are less than 1,000 people ranked on the leaderboard, I think. One can easily create a ranked match and then have a friend join immediately. Nobody is playing.

And hey, Destro, it's true! At least I don't hate the 2D anymore.

[quote name='Matt Young']Tonight, I discovered that this game is exponentially better in 2D while under the influence of a certain leafy green substance that may or may not be legally available in your area. I have a feeling I'll be blazing through this competitive season.[/QUOTE]

bout time yo.

Argh, competitive season. I've lost 2 games by less than a touchdown. I'm now 5-3 when I should be at least 6-2. I hope I can get the achievement for winning, but first, I'll have to make the playoffs.

Week 5 - Bills 7 @ Lions 21

Good game to Pure Apathy. Just glad there was no lag this time. Apathy played a near flawless game and used being player one to his advantage. My personal opinion is that we're equally good, and left to right was the difference maker. I hope to meet him in the Super Bowl as the home team so payback can be a motherfucker.

Honestly, I would gladly pay another 800 points for this game just to have a "visual preference" option for "left to right". I guess this could be another nitpick argument for staying true to the original, but I guess I make an exception for making things more fair (and no, switching your defender after the play has nothing to do with fair). I'm trying to remember now if I was a huge dick as a kid and made all my friends be player two. I think I might have some apology letters to write.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
Honestly, I would gladly pay another 800 points for this game just to have a "visual preference" option for "left to right". I guess this could be another nitpick argument for staying true to the original, but I guess I make an exception for making things more fair (and no, switching your defender after the play has nothing to do with fair). I'm trying to remember now if I was a huge dick as a kid and made all my friends be player two. I think I might have some apology letters to write.[/QUOTE]

I've still only experience player 2. :cry:

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'm trying to remember now if I was a huge dick as a kid and made all my friends be player two. I think I might have some apology letters to write.[/QUOTE]

Make a list of all of your friends, then make some YouTube videos of you making it up to them and call it "My Name is Nate".

[quote name='hufferstl']Here is my schedule. I need to catch up on some games, so if anyone wants to schedule something for Monday night or late Tuesday night, let me know.

WEEK 1

Redskins @ Eagles

WEEK 2

Redskins @ Vikings

WEEK 3

Cowboys @ Redskins

WEEK 4

Eagles @ Redskins

WEEK 5

Redskins @ Giants

WEEK 6

Redskins @ Cardinals

WEEK 7

Off

WEEK 8

49ers @ Redskins

WEEK 9

Redskins @ Saints

WEEK 10

Redskins @ Rams

WEEK 11

Falcons @ Redskins

WEEK 12

Packers @ Redskins

WEEK 13

Redskins @ Lions

WEEK 14

Giants @ Redskins

WEEK 15

Redskins @ Cowboys

WEEK 16

Cardinals @ Redskins

WEEK 17

Bears @ Redskins
[/QUOTE]
I'm your week 2 opponent. I should be on most week nights between 6-8 pm EST. I sent you a friend request so hopefully I will catch you online.

That article, about no longer getting a patch, it does seem to say that the reason is because the issues are server issues... so maybe the lag and the no-penalty for rage quitting/no credit will be addressed with server fixes? One can hope.

I won't be able to play tonight, but I do plan to be on tomorrow (Tuesday) night, for anyone still needing games vs Phoenix Cardinals.

The rest of my schedule looks like this...

Broncos @ Raiders (III Hydrox III)
Raiders @ Broncos
Raiders @ Chiefs (XboxChromosome)
Chiefs @ Raiders
Cowboys @ Raiders (EastX)
Raiders @ Chargers (king of edmond)
Chargers @ Raiders
Raiders @ Eagles (Tha IllusiveMan)

I'm going to play the Chiefs later today it looks like, but let me know if anyone else is available after 3-4pm EST.

Alright I just wrapped up my series with the Chiefs.

Raiders def. Chiefs 14-7
Raiders def. Chiefs 14-9

Both great games. The second one I threw a couple picks, and he got super unlucky when his RB broke for what was probably a 30 yard gain down by 5 and he fumbled it on the 50. There wasn't enough time left after that and I was able to hold on. Tim Brown was MIA in that 2nd game too, he shut him down pretty good.

My Raiders seem to be soaring.

edit: when are the standings being updated? I'm trying to figure out what I'm at. I think 6-2 or 7-3, but I believe I'm on a 5-game winning streak right now, so that's exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My schedule:

Week 1: Packers @ Rams (IICL510II)
Week 2: Bears @ Packers (Stabby Pete)
Week 3: Jets @ Packers (DAHULK247)
Week 4: Lions W 24 @ Packers L 20 (Pure Apathy)
Week 5: Saints @ Packers (vampirehunter r)
Week 6: Packers L 0 @ Bills W 9 (n8rockerasu)
Week 7: Vikings @ Packers (cuta)
Week 8: Packers @ Bears (Stabby Pete)
Week 9: Packers @ Colts (Regian)
Week 10: Packers @ Vikings (cuta)
Week 11: BYE
Week 12: Packers @ Redskins (coreyandtrevor)
Week 13: Dolphins W 13 @ Packers L 10 (JStryke)
Week 14: Eagles @ Packers (Tha IllusiveMan)
Week 15: Packers @ 49ers (Zforce915)
Week 16: Giants @ Packers (nychrisatl)
Week 17: Packers L 0 @ Lions W 45 (Pure Apathy)

With a few exceptions, I've never heard of any of these people. I hope we can get our games in.

Just a heads up. People, please get 2 games completed by 5/16. 5/17 at the very latest. If you cannot get in 2 games, please email me and let me know if you are still in the league. If I do not hear from you, a forfeit will be given to one of your 16 opponents. The opponent will be pulled out of a hat so that one person is not given preferential treatment. The score will be their Average Score per game for the season-0.

I might be on in a few. Just got off work, and we had one hell of a series of tornados blow through the area. Gotta check in with the family and make sure everyone is alright before I start getting my Tecmo ass whipped.

[quote name='HydroX']I might be on in a few. Just got off work, and we had one hell of a series of tornados blow through the area. Gotta check in with the family and make sure everyone is alright before I start getting my Tecmo ass whipped.[/QUOTE]

What state do you live in? I'm from Illinois, and I was never afraid of tornadoes... until March of 2006, when a couple touched down in Springfield and destroyed 1/4 of the city. Funnel clouds were forming right above my apartment, and the rain was whipping around in circles. Scary shit. I hope everyone is all right.

Week 1 - Lions L 7 @ Falcons W 21

And with that I'm thinking I might drop from the league. Basically whoever is the host throughout the playoffs is going to end up winning the league. Too bad it doesn't play the same for the host and 2nd player. :cry:

[quote name='Matt Young']What state do you live in? I'm from Illinois, and I was never afraid of tornadoes... until March of 2006, when a couple touched down in Springfield and destroyed 1/4 of the city. Funnel clouds were forming right above my apartment, and the rain was whipping around in circles. Scary shit. I hope everyone is all right.[/QUOTE]

Oklahoma. So far everyone [in my family] seems alright, but there are 4 reported fatalities so far. Quite a few areas throughout the state were completely decimated.

I'm the same way with not being afraid of tornadoes, 'cause I've lived in Florida for 10 years [during Hurricane Andrew, as well] and never experienced a problem.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Week 1 - Lions L 7 @ Falcons W 21

And with that I'm thinking I might drop from the league. Basically whoever is the host throughout the playoffs is going to end up winning the league. Too bad it doesn't play the same for the host and 2nd player. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my only idea for this is that maybe the playoffs could be like a best out of 3 thing, with the higher seeded team getting only 1 home game. This may seem like crazy logic, but my thinking is if the "better team" can steal one of the road games, then obviously, they deserve to move on. I'm currently 5-1, and have won 2 games on the road (I've had 3 scheduled, but with ubernes not being able to host games, I got to be player 1).

So, I at least feel like it's possible to win on the road. And maybe by doing a best of 3, it would give the "worse team" a chance by having 2 home games, and give the "better team" a chance to adjust by potentially playing 2 on the road. I don't know...just trying to think of something to make it more fair. Even though it goes against normal logic, giving the team with the better record homefield advantage just seems like a guaranteed win.

I told Apathy last night that if we met in the Super Bowl and I was the away team, I would just forfeit, lol. Sadly, that's how big of a difference it makes.

Also, here's my remaining schedule. I still need to hook up with the other 2 teams in my division.

Games Remaining

Week 3 - Chiefs @ Bills (XboxChromosome)
Week 4 - Jets @ Bills (DAHULK247)
Week 7 - Colts @ Bills (Regian)
Week 9 - Bills @ Jets (DAHULK247)
Week 11 - Bills @ Bears (Stabby Pete)
Week 12 - Bills @ Colts (Regian)
Week 13 - Bengals @ Bills (Nateeasy)
Week 15 - Bills @ Steelers (vulcan7905)
Week 16 - Oilers @ Bills (statnut28)
Week 17 - Vikings @ Bills (cuta)

Games Played
Week 1 - Bills 14 @ Broncos 0
Week 2 - Bills 14 @ Dolphins 0
Week 5 - Bills 7 @ Lions 21 (Pure Apathy)
Week 6 - Packers 0 @ Bills 9
Week 10 - Dolphins 0 @ Bills 25
Week 14 - Bills 24 @ Raiders 6

Record: 5-1

I have played 1 game as the road team and I haven't noticed any problems/lag. What is the problem for the rest of you?

Just read on gamefaqs that online play is even more broken and only the host doesn't get lag. hmmmm

I think we should really wait and see if they decide to patch it before we go crazy, right now we get equal number of home and away games, it's fair... the league won't wrap for a while, so let's see. I am still holding out hope.

I can't believe you guys are actually doing a league for this game. I just deleted it off my hard drive, it is so easily exploited online, all anyone does is just use safety and cover the whole field so passing is impossible. Every game both guys just use safety it becomes a battle of who can win 3-0...and all the players seem to be the same skill level, none better than the other so its always an even playing field which takes away from the original's appeal. I really wanted to like this game honestly, but it gets old very quickly being in defensive struggles every game.

[quote name='wildcpac']I have played 1 game as the road team and I haven't noticed any problems/lag. What is the problem for the rest of you?

Just read on gamefaqs that online play is even more broken and only the host doesn't get lag. hmmmm[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how much of a lag issue it is. In my last game with Pure Apathy, there wasn't any noticeable lag, but it did seem like he could cut away from my defender before I could react. My general thought is that this is a result of the awkwardness of going right to left, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a slight button lag issue for player two.

Either way, the result is, with equally skilled players, player one will win. I'd make that prediction 99% of the time. And in the playoffs, you're probably going to get mostly equally skilled players. I agree that the regular season set up is probably as fair as you're going to get. Aside from some people having a "softer schedule"...which we had no way of knowing, it's at least balanced. Just wish we could find a way to make the playoffs balanced as well.

[quote name='DestroVega']I think we should really wait and see if they decide to patch it before we go crazy, right now we get equal number of home and away games, it's fair... the league won't wrap for a while, so let's see. I am still holding out hope.[/QUOTE]

Did you not see this? I think it's pretty clear a patch isn't coming.
http://kotaku.com/5533013/forget-about-a-patch-for-tecmo-bowl-throwback

[quote name='OblivionScamp']I can't believe you guys are actually doing a league for this game. I just deleted it off my hard drive, it is so easily exploited online, all anyone does is just use safety and cover the whole field so passing is impossible. Every game both guys just use safety it becomes a battle of who can win 3-0...and all the players seem to be the same skill level, none better than the other so its always an even playing field which takes away from the original's appeal. I really wanted to like this game honestly, but it gets old very quickly being in defensive struggles every game.[/QUOTE]

So, now there's a "S Glitch" huh? :roll: People really need to learn how to outthink their opponents. Call running plays that look like passing plays. Call the same play three times in a row. Some people just force you to play smart. If you're playing as player 2 all the time, yeah, you're at a disadvantage. But if you can't outsmart people as player 1, you need to mix up your plays better. It doesn't take a 60 yard pass to score in this game.

[quote name='OblivionScamp']I can't believe you guys are actually doing a league for this game. I just deleted it off my hard drive, it is so easily exploited online, all anyone does is just use safety and cover the whole field so passing is impossible. Every game both guys just use safety it becomes a battle of who can win 3-0...and all the players seem to be the same skill level, none better than the other so its always an even playing field which takes away from the original's appeal. I really wanted to like this game honestly, but it gets old very quickly being in defensive struggles every game.[/QUOTE]

Please. I can pick apart someone who is just going to use a safety on each play.

There is going to be a learning curve for you if you didn't play this back in '93 since the gameplay is, well, old. But for those of us that have played it for a while it's like riding a bike.

Being the safety is a good fallback if you happen to guess wrong so you have at least someone back there patrolling the wide receivers, but if you had 2 guys streaking deep there's no way one safety is covering both.

The last game I played we both used the safety most of the time and I was able to handle one half of the field and maybe more if the pass was more telegraphed, but he still moved the ball plenty on me through the air and vice versa.

I'm 32 and played all the old tecmo bowls, maybe its just playing against online players who like to try and find a way to cheese the game instead of just playing it. Everyone i have played online picks safety on defense every play and you can't change your target fast enough before you get sacked on most plays(either that or you are forced to throw into coverage and ints happen)...the game is truly flawed, if anyone thinks this game is anywhere near as good as the old games, you are living in a dream world and I actually feel bad for you cuz they screwed up a classic. An arcade game should be about having fun, not sitting in a defensive stuggle the whole game until somebody figures out a way to get lucky and get a td by throwing into coverage. Running plays hardly work in this game either, i don't know who you guys are using, but running is essentially useless for the teams i have used....pointless. None of the rbs are fast enough to hit holes the right way, and get gang tackled constently.

[quote name='OblivionScamp']I'm 32 and played all the old tecmo bowls, maybe its just playing against online players who like to try and find a way to cheese the game instead of just playing it. Everyone i have played online picks safety on defense every play and you can't change your target fast enough before you get sacked on most plays(either that or you are forced to throw into coverage and ints happen)...the game is truly flawed, if anyone thinks this game is anywhere near as good as the old games, you are living in a dream world and I actually feel bad for you cuz they screwed up a classic. An arcade game should be about having fun, not sitting in a defensive stuggle the whole game until somebody figures out a way to get lucky and get a td by throwing into coverage. Running plays hardly work in this game either, i don't know who you guys are using, but running is essentially useless for the teams i have used....pointless. None of the rbs are fast enough to hit holes the right way, and get gang tackled constently.[/QUOTE]

I've run for 100 yards with the Oilers twice and the Giants once, so I don't know what problem you're having.

[quote name='OblivionScamp']I'm 32 and played all the old tecmo bowls, maybe its just playing against online players who like to try and find a way to cheese the game instead of just playing it. Everyone i have played online picks safety on defense every play and you can't change your target fast enough before you get sacked on most plays(either that or you are forced to throw into coverage and ints happen)...the game is truly flawed, if anyone thinks this game is anywhere near as good as the old games, you are living in a dream world and I actually feel bad for you cuz they screwed up a classic. An arcade game should be about having fun, not sitting in a defensive stuggle the whole game until somebody figures out a way to get lucky and get a td by throwing into coverage. Running plays hardly work in this game either, i don't know who you guys are using, but running is essentially useless for the teams i have used....pointless. None of the rbs are fast enough to hit holes the right way, and get gang tackled constently.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? They "screwed up a classic"? It's the same game as it was 17 years ago. I've had several games that I had 100 yards rushing, and I've had games where my opponents have rushed for 100 yards. More than anything, it sounds like you don't know what you're doing or are being far too predictable. If you want good running backs, look at Buffalo, Dallas, and Detroit. What team are you using that you struggle so much?

And again, I say MIX YOUR PLAYS. Even if you're only gaining 4 yards on the ground at a time, if your opponent is defending the pass, just march down the field slowly, but surely. Drain the entire half on one drive picking up 1st downs by averaging 4 yards a play. Force him to change his style. It really just sounds like you don't have the patience to be successful at this game. It just takes the right strategy. Assess how your opponent is playing you and adapt. Also, don't play in the God awful 3D. That could be half your problem.

I complained a lot about this game, but I don't see it, either. Defensive struggle? Sometimes, but rarely. Usually, it's all offense. And I pass for over 150 yards with one single receiver in most game, much less the entire team. My running game, as Green Bay, is inconsistent. But when using a good team, I can run circles around people.

As for the lag issue, I have not had much lag while playing as play 2. I did in one game vs. Nate, but we restarted it and it played fine.

King of Edmond / Chargers will be on after V ... I just be hanging out and waiting for someone to message me ... if you want to setup a time to play after 9PM (Central time) is best -- and I can play anytime on the weekend (prefer after 10am or so)

[quote name='chembree']King of Edmond / Chargers will be on after V ... I just be hanging out and waiting for someone to message me ... if you want to setup a time to play after 9PM (Central time) is best -- and I can play anytime on the weekend (prefer after 10am or so)[/QUOTE]

I'll be on in an hour or 2 if you want to or anyone else wants to play then

[quote name='ubernes']I'll be on in an hour or 2 if you want to or anyone else wants to play then[/QUOTE]

sounds good to me ... Im gonna stay logged in and watch some TV -- I'll check to see if your on every 5-10 min ....

Raiders def Chargers 21-0 at home.

edit: second game, Raiders def. Chargers 3-0.

Both games were a bit laggy, but nothing game breaking. Definitely not something I'd want to play come playoffs, but it wasn't too bad. The 2nd game was a big run + defense game. He had over 100+ yards with me with his back and I had a good amount with both backs especially late in the game. My one field goal made the difference as I stopped him on 4th and I think 1 on the goal line. Crazy game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back