The 2008-2009 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakers by 5 at the break.

Magic need someone beside just Lewis to show up in the 2nd half if they are going to have any chance. He scored 18 of the 20 points the Magic had in the 2nd quarter.

fuck!

Should have won that one. Series over. Magic are a couple players away. Need a 2 guard who's a scorer (maybe Lee will develop, if blowing the game tonight doesn't ruin his confidence) and a powerforward to put beside Howard. Lewis and Turkoglu are both great, but they're a bit redundant to have on the floor at the same time all the time.

[quote name='mooshie78']fuck!

Should have won that one. Series over. Magic are a couple players away. Need a 2 guard who's a scorer (maybe Lee will develop, if blowing the game tonight doesn't ruin his confidence) and a powerforward to put beside Howard. Lewis and Turkoglu are both great, but they're a bit redundant to have on the floor at the same time all the time.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe they gave Lee the ball for the final shot in regulation...

We do have a 2 guard who's a scorer in Pietrus. I think we have good team put together. Kobe just wants this more to prove he can do it without Shaq.

The 20 Turnovers is what did us in this game (bad passing). Besides that, our players (for the most part) hit shots and fought for boards. I felt Van Gundy should have played Alston or Nelson for the fourth. I did like seeing Gortat and Howard on the floor at the same time.

Shit....I completely forgot the game was even on. So magic lost? Did they try to dump the ball to Howard most of the game?

How was the over all game played?

[quote name='lordopus99']I can't believe they gave Lee the ball for the final shot in regulation...

We do have a 2 guard who's a scorer in Pietrus. I think we have good team put together. Kobe just wants this more to prove he can do it without Shaq.

The 20 Turnovers is what did us in this game (bad passing). Besides that, our players (for the most part) hit shots and fought for boards. I felt Van Gundy should have played Alston or Nelson for the fourth. I did like seeing Gortat and Howard on the floor at the same time.[/QUOTE]

yeah i wish alston played was loving all his whiffs...especially his air ball of a wide open 3 :lol:

[quote name='lordopus99']I can't believe they gave Lee the ball for the final shot in regulation...

The 20 Turnovers is what did us in this game (bad passing). Besides that, our players (for the most part) hit shots and fought for boards. I felt Van Gundy should have played Alston or Nelson for the fourth. I did like seeing Gortat and Howard on the floor at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah maybe Pietrus can fill the role if he's healthy all year. But I see him just waiting at the 3 point line with Lewis too much. The Magic need someone who can take it to the rack and score, draw fouls and kick it out.

Of course, having Nelson healthy helps a lot with that.

Getting another scorer/banger in the post to make it harder to double Howard is the biggest key though. Plus it's someone else to pick up the scoring when Howard isn't putting up points.

As for Lee getting the last shot, it's not like he was the first option (at least I don't think) they were just running out of time getting the ball in and he came up for that alley oop. Just should have made it as it was a perfect pass and he was wide open.:bomb:

He hits that and they have all the momentum going home for the next 3.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Shit....I completely forgot the game was even on. So magic lost? Did they try to dump the ball to Howard most of the game?

How was the over all game played?[/QUOTE]

Howard didn't have a big game scoring wise, they did go into him a good bit, but go more points on him kicking it out.

Lewis was on fire, scored 18 of the Magic's 20 in the 2nd quarter.

As the above poster noted, the Magic just turned the ball over too much. Especially in the final few minutes of the 4th. Several times they had the ball up 1 or 2 with a chance to stretch the lead and threw the ball away.

[quote name='mooshie78']Yeah maybe Pietrus can fill the role if he's healthy all year. But I see him just waiting at the 3 point line with Lewis too much. The Magic need someone who can take it to the rack and score, draw fouls and kick it out.

Of course, having Nelson healthy helps a lot with that.

Getting another scorer/banger in the post to make it harder to double Howard is the biggest key though. Plus it's someone else to pick up the scoring when Howard isn't putting up points.

As for Lee getting the last shot, it's not like he was the first option (at least I don't think) they were just running out of time getting the ball in and he came up for that alley oop. Just should have made it as it was a perfect pass and he was wide open.:bomb:

He hits that and they have all the momentum going home for the next 3.[/QUOTE]

Remember Lewis was a banger down low in Seattle. As for Pietrus, he was a slasher in Golden State. My guess why they stand at the three point line now is two reasons... 1) to give dwight 1on1 or 1on2 coverage and 2) both of them can normally blow by the people defending them if they do decide to drive to the hoop. The true slasher and kick out man was Nelson before he got hurt. He should fill that void once he is 100% (which unfortunetly probably wont be until next year).

As for Lee... he was the option coming back from the second timeout. The original option the first go around was a lob to dwight. The second timeout option was a pick by lewis on kobe to free up Lee to the basket. I agree it was a shot he should have made but I still wouldn't have had him as the option vs Lewis (who was on fire for most of the game).

[quote name='Soodmeg']Shit....I completely forgot the game was even on. So magic lost? Did they try to dump the ball to Howard most of the game?

How was the over all game played? [/QUOTE]

to add to what was stated from mooshie... we ended up getting into foul trouble early with Pietrus and Lee picking up 2-3 fouls in the first half so JJ finally got some minutes. Seeing him in college nail everything and now seeing him miss a wide open three at the top of the key blew my mind but that was a different story. He played fairly good D.

Howard got plenty of touches but was always doubled to tripled team so he kicked the ball out most of the night.

[quote name='lordopus99']Remember Lewis was a banger down low in Seattle. As for Pietrus, he was a slasher in Golden State. My guess why they stand at the three point line now is two reasons... 1) to give dwight 1on1 or 1on2 coverage and 2) both of them can normally blow by the people defending them if they do decide to drive to the hoop. The true slasher and kick out man was Nelson before he got hurt. He should fill that void once he is 100% (which unfortunetly probably wont be until next year).
[/QUOTE]

Those are all true. I guess what's really needed is just for the offense to be tweaked.

I don't think Howard is ever going to be a Shaq or Duncan who can dominate on offense night in and night out.

They need to let Lewis bang more and have guards drive and kick more, and not live and die by the 3 so much.

[quote name='lordopus99']As for Lee... he was the option coming back from the second timeout. The original option the first go around was a lob to dwight. The second timeout option was a pick by lewis on kobe to free up Lee to the basket. I agree it was a shot he should have made but I still wouldn't have had him as the option vs Lewis (who was on fire for most of the game).[/QUOTE]
I don't think you can just give it to Lewis the same way they gave it to Lee. There's a reason why you design it for Lee because you wouldn't expect it. Ariza didn't expect it and he was sticking on to Lewis. Switch Lewis and Lee around, I doubt Ariza would stick to Lee.

It was a good look.. just didn't drop in. =p

[quote name='shinryuu']I don't think you can just give it to Lewis the same way they gave it to Lee. There's a reason why you design it for Lee because you wouldn't expect it. Ariza didn't expect it and he was sticking on to Lewis. Switch Lewis and Lee around, I doubt Ariza would stick to Lee.

It was a good look.. just didn't drop in. =p[/QUOTE]

yep no one on LA expected them to go to Lee it was a beautifully drawn up play that thankfully didnt go in :lol:

howard-goomba.jpg

[quote name='mooshie78']Those are all true. I guess what's really needed is just for the offense to be tweaked.

I don't think Howard is ever going to be a Shaq or Duncan who can dominate on offense night in and night out.

They need to let Lewis bang more and have guards drive and kick more, and not live and die by the 3 so much.[/QUOTE]

D. Howard is young. He still has a lot of time to develop some consistency to his dominance.

[quote name='mooshie78']I don't think Howard is ever going to be a Shaq or Duncan who can dominate on offense night in and night out.[/QUOTE]

He was number 15 in points scored this year (the #1 for a Center) and that is with a bunch of other scorers on his team (lewis, turkalou, and nelson). Number 2 in double-doubles. Number 4 in effeciency. And this is while he is still developing... learning from one of the best

You put one on one on him and ask varejo and ilgauskus how they got worked during the cavs series.

[quote name='lordopus99']He was number 15 in points scored this year (the #1 for a Center) and that is with a bunch of other scorers on his team (lewis, turkalou, and nelson). Number 2 in double-doubles. Number 4 in effeciency. And this is while he is still developing... learning from one of the best

You put one on one on him and ask varejo and ilgauskus how they got worked during the cavs series.[/QUOTE]

He has a good offensive game. I just don't know that he can put up 30+ consistently and dominate on offense and carry the team the way a Shaq or Duncan did in their prime.

Maybe he can, but he's got to develop a short range jumper, a turnaround and a consistent hook shot so he can score over people before the double team arrives.

I do think a lot of it is just bad coaching. As far as the Magic have gotten, I really don't like the offense. I don't think the run enough through Howard, and they're way to reliant on threes. Again, as discussed above, Pietrus should be slashing more, Lewis should be driving and banging down low more etc.

Looks like we came to play last night...
Finals Shooting Percentage record last night: 62.5% (75% in one half)

Our offense was on point last night. It was good to see Pietrus slashing again and even Lewis drove some. If only we can play defense for more than one half, we would be set.

Glad to see the Magic get a win. Need to step up the defense. It doesn't bode particularly well when you set a Finals FG% record and only win by 4.

But hopefully they can put it together on both ends of the court. They really need to win all the home games to have a shot.

Maybe they'll emulate the Heat from a couple years ago when they dropped the first two games to the Mavs and won the next four.

I swear I'm a jinx on the Magic. Only game I didn't watch was game 3 and they win.

Turn it on tonight after watching several episodes of Weeds on Blu Ray, and they're up 10. Now they're down 6. :bomb:

Does Van Gundy not coach fundamentals? Miss a lay up to win game 2.

Terrible free throw shooting late here, and now they don't stop the ball and give up a 3 to tie the game. :bomb:

And as always, the coach is to much of a pussy to foul when your up by 3 with under 10 seconds to play. :bomb:

Edit:

And a terrible inbounds play and last shot, to go and likely choke in OT again--though I'll give the Lakers D credit there.

Got to make foul shots and not play bonehead D in the final seconds to win in the Finals. :bomb:

Edit:

And the rapist gets away with a blatant elbow to the face to set up a huge 3 for Fisher: :bomb:

Way to choke another game, and any chance at a title, away Magic. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly can't bitch too much about those calls.

The Magic lost this for two reasons.

1. Got to make your free throws and not turn the ball over more than 2x as much as the other team if you're going to win a title.

2. Van Gundy is just not a good coach. They got this far with Alston running the show, and he's killed their momentum by playing Nelson so much when he's so rusty and not fitting with the team chemistry.

And as I bitched earlier, I just don't think the offense he runs makes the best use of the talent he has.

Just terrible coaching this finals. I'm done with the series unless it miraculously goes to a game 7.

[quote name='dafoomie']Ariza steps out of bounds, Kobe elbows Nelson in the mouth, nothing.[/QUOTE]
Whatever calls where bad on both ends. Really missing free throws cost the magic. Just like missing free throws cost us in game 3.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']orlando had EVERY chance to win this thing and choked it away
im ready for the parade![/QUOTE]

I hope the "big one" happens in the middle of it! :D

Not really, but man it sucks to see your favorite team losing and not giving their best effort with all the missed free throws and unforced turnovers.

And even more so when it's to your second most hated team in all of sports (after the Yankees). :bomb:

[quote name='mooshie78']I hope the "big one" happens in the middle of it! :D

Not really, but man it sucks to see your favorite team losing and not giving their best effort with all the missed free throws and unforced turnovers.

And even more so when it's to your second most hated team in all of sports (after the Yankees). :bomb:[/QUOTE]

the magic cant blame anyone but themselves for this loss

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious to hear people complain about Orlando's lack of calls.

17-0 FTs in the 4th. They had one team foul the entire quarter.

Only free throws in OT were Pietrus' flagrant.

Salvatore handed it on a silver platter and they knocked it out of his hand.

Scoreboard.

[quote name='dafoomie']Ariza steps out of bounds, Kobe elbows Nelson in the mouth, nothing.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Don't start this BS. Especially coming from a Celtics fan who's team has the "master" of elbowing in Kevin Garnett. Fact is, Orlando got ALL the calls and they still lost. It was 5 on 8 out there and the Lakers still managed to pull out the win.

[quote name='mooshie78']
Edit:

And the rapist gets away with a blatant elbow to the face to set up a huge 3 for Fisher: :bomb:
[/QUOTE]

Are you really so childish that you're going to continue calling Kobe "the rapist"? I mean, seriously, even if you hate the guy, that's just stupid.
A)The case was dropped.
B)Most players in the league probably pick up girls in every city they're in. Kobe unfortunately happened to pick a nutjob.
C)It was years ago.
D)It has nothing to do with basketball

[quote name='jwbrown77']Hilarious to hear people complain about Orlando's lack of calls.

17-0 FTs in the 4th. They had one team foul the entire quarter.

Only free throws in OT were Pietrus' flagrant.

Salvatore handed it on a silver platter and they knocked it out of his hand.

Scoreboard.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Are you really so childish that you're going to continue calling Kobe "the rapist"? I mean, seriously, even if you hate the guy, that's just stupid.
A)The case was dropped.
B)Most players in the league probably pick up girls in every city they're in. Kobe unfortunately happened to pick a nutjob.
C)It was years ago.
D)It has nothing to do with basketball[/QUOTE]

What do you expect from a 5yr old?

Howard's 2 missed FTs paved the way for Fisher's huge 3 ptr (BTW, I think that was the first time I've seen the "Old School" DF this playoffs). The Magic had an obscene number of turnovers and let the Lakers play half court most of the game. I'm surprised it was even close.

[quote name='gunm']Howard's 2 missed FTs paved the way for Fisher's huge 3 ptr (BTW, I think that was the first time I've seen the "Old School" DF this playoffs). The Magic had an obscene number of turnovers and let the Lakers play half court most of the game. I'm surprised it was even close.[/QUOTE]

well the lakers had 0 free throw attempts compared to 18 for the magic in the 4th...that certainly made it close :roll::lol:

It certainly was an all Lakers second half (which is what I originally meant to say--Magic were up by double digits at the half). It's weird how the Magic always seem to stop playing in the 3rd Quarter.

[quote name='gunm']It certainly was an all Lakers second half (which is what I originally meant to say--Magic were up by double digits at the half). It's weird how the Magic always seem to stop playing in the 3rd Quarter.[/QUOTE]

and when they hit overtime they throw in the towel

[quote name='gunm']LA is the "HOME" team for me, but I actually prefer the Clippers. :p

At least they got the #1 pick this year. :p[/QUOTE]
:shock::???:8-[#-o

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Are you really so childish that you're going to continue calling Kobe "the rapist"? I mean, seriously, even if you hate the guy, that's just stupid.
A)The case was dropped.
C)It was years ago.
D)It has nothing to do with basketball[/QUOTE]
OMG TY for saying that. Some people can't let this go. ONE WIN AWAY You Cant Beat LA!

Thoughts on the game...

This is our season is an nutshell. We play 3 out of 4 quarters (3rd quarter being the quarter we didn't play). We have done this all season long. The turnovers killed us as well again.

In the first half, we should have been up by a whole lot more due to Odom, Bynum, and Gasol on the bench. The mismatches were all over the board and we didn't take advantage of it.

On to bad coaching...
who doesn't foul at the end of the game when you are up by three and you are in the penalty. You force the inbound to Odom or Gasol and pray they miss them and then enter our better free throw players. Secondly, the defense JJ has been playing this post season, he should have been playing over Lee (who has been a nightmare on defense and steaking on the offense ever since breaking his nose).

On to fouls...
I feel no-calls went both ways. Granted the Kobe elbow was blantly obvious. Kobe, like Lebron, get away with a lot. When a player is lying on the ground grabbing near their throat you think the refs would notice. :roll: Kobe not only threw the elbow at Nelson but also threw one at Howard after a rebound to create space (it was not necessary as Howard was going back down the court). He also hooked Howard after a foul to take him to the floor. He played dirty last night.

Alston/Nelson situation...
Alston was playing well in the first half but we came back from halftime, he started to get out of control. I think that is why he was pulled. Nelson started off real sluggish but by a few minutes in the fourth he started playing pretty well by settting up our players with open shots.

Pietrus late flagrant I feel was out of frustrating. When it comes down to it, he played tonight like he wanted to win unlike some of our other players.

The Magic let down little Gina Marie :(

[quote name='lordopus99']Thoughts on the game...

On to fouls...
I feel no-calls went both ways. Granted the Kobe elbow was blantly obvious. Kobe, like Lebron, get away with a lot. When a player is lying on the ground grabbing near their throat you think the refs would notice. :roll: Kobe not only threw the elbow at Nelson but also threw one at Howard after a rebound to create space (it was not necessary as Howard was going back down the court). He also hooked Howard after a foul to take him to the floor. He played dirty last night.
[/QUOTE]

LMFAO

"No calls went both ways" -- Orlando got ALL the calls. And Kobe a "dirty player"? Maybe you should start looking at the players on your own team, about 1/2 of them are dirty players. Howard held Kobe after a rebound and wouldn't let him get away - dirty. Pietrus shoves Gasol on a lay-up when the game was clearly over at that point - dirty. Just please stop it with the BS. You guys had 20 more FT attempts and still couldn't win the damn game.

[quote name='lordopus99']Thoughts on the game...

This is our season is an nutshell. We play 3 out of 4 quarters (3rd quarter being the quarter we didn't play). We have done this all season long. The turnovers killed us as well again.

In the first half, we should have been up by a whole lot more due to Odom, Bynum, and Gasol on the bench. The mismatches were all over the board and we didn't take advantage of it.

On to bad coaching...
who doesn't foul at the end of the game when you are up by three and you are in the penalty. You force the inbound to Odom or Gasol and pray they miss them and then enter our better free throw players. Secondly, the defense JJ has been playing this post season, he should have been playing over Lee (who has been a nightmare on defense and steaking on the offense ever since breaking his nose).

On to fouls...

Alston/Nelson situation...
Alston was playing well in the first half but we came back from halftime, he started to get out of control. I think that is why he was pulled. Nelson started off real sluggish but by a few minutes in the fourth he started playing pretty well by settting up our players with open shots.

Pietrus late flagrant I feel was out of frustrating. When it comes down to it, he played tonight like he wanted to win unlike some of our other players.

The Magic let down little Gina Marie :([/QUOTE]
I hear ya but really it comes down to making free throws and playing defense. At the end of the fourth the magic did neither. Nelson's defense on Fish as Mark Jackson would say "Hand Down, Man Down!" . Why would you give any serious shooter that much space? Then they just broke down from there. The Kobe foul on Nelson was unintentional. He had his arms up and was looking to pass. Nelson just kinda ran into the elbow. The Pietrus foul was dirty. Yes it was out of frustration, but still in was very uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back