The 2012/2013 NBA Season Thread

Rondo's done for the year with a torn ACL. Boston sports fans just can't catch a break, and pretty soon they'll have to suffer through the Red Sox season.

sucks for rondo big time, they should look to deal whoever they can now. scrap next year too, clear the cap, go for broke with rondo coming back full strength after that.

As usual, officials gotta make sure to fulfill the durant FT quota, its starting to get ridiculous these last couple of games.

Call me crazy, but I'm not sold on the Celtics falling apart without Rondo. He's less than league average when it comes to offensive efficiency, and he can't shoot at all. If Courtney Lee and Barbosa get more minutes out of this, floor spacing should improve for Boston.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Call me crazy, but I'm not sold on the Celtics falling apart without Rondo. He's less than league average when it comes to offensive efficiency, and he can't shoot at all. If Courtney Lee and Barbosa get more minutes out of this, floor spacing should improve for Boston.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to see if your theory works out. I don't think they'll fall apart, but I don't think they'll be as good either. I haven't been impressed with Courtney Lee, and Barbosa is mostly a scorer.

The Rockets absolutely DECIMATED the Jazz tonight. It was a 45 point win and the worst home loss in Utah history. They've now strung 3 wins together and if they can beat Denver on Wednesday, then they can end January on a high note after the fucking abysmal run they had earlier in the month.

Damn I wish the Kings would stay in Sac.

I swear the Maloofs have been running the team into the ground for the last 10 years. No recent big name free agent signings, no money spent on coaching, have some of the lowest payroll in the league year after year... how do you expect the team to be good?

Then you don't sell the team to a local seller and use all of Sacramento's efforts to keep the team to get a better deal with Seattle (who by the way is desperate themselves to get a team). What a bunch of scumbags.

Like someone else mentioned, the only good thing to come out of the deal (as a Kings fan) would be that the Maloofs would no longer own the team.

Can't describe how much it blows that the Kings have been tanking all of these years under the Maloofs only to be traded away. After years of mediocrity, when these horrible owners are finally removed from ownership and the Kings show new hope for change... they are sold to another city.

:whistle2:(

LOL @ Cuban being the idiot that he is not taking Calderon because he didn't want to part with fucking Wince Carter of all people, thought the bank of Cuban was supposed to be open

Looks like Rudy Gay is reportedly heading to Toronto. While this seems like a dumb move on Memphis' part IMO, I'm perfectly happy with it as I'm a Rockets fan and the Grizzles are in our division :D Not to mention the fact the Rockets actually traded the draft pick that became Rudy Gay to Memphis for fucking scraps.

[quote name='renique46']LOL @ Cuban being the idiot that he is not taking Calderon because he didn't want to part with fucking Wince Carter of all people, thought the bank of Cuban was supposed to be open[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make any sense. Carter has a very reasonable contract for the rest of this year and next and he plays well for the 3 million he makes. You would flip that guy for an expiring contract? Had the Mavs had a chance to get some decent assets I am sure they would have thought of parting with him, but not for an expiring contract.

Watch out the rest of the NBA, because HE is coming

1348960105_1358_rose.jpg

Also good win for the Bulls against the Bucks tonight. Knocking on the door for that second seed in the East cause nobody want to play Miami until the Conference Finals.

Time to play another game of what scrub will have the game of his life against the Lakers D

Tonights contestant : Michael Beasley

Props to Joey Crawford once again blatantly ignoring fouls and travels

these refs need to start stepping it up or have money taken away but who am i kidding stern wont do shit

the end of the raptors/hawks game was pathetic

dude gets annihilated by 3 dudes in the paint and somehow nobody sees anything, Dwayne Casey has every right to be pissed off

[quote name='PimpLimp']Looks like Rudy Gay is reportedly heading to Toronto. While this seems like a dumb move on Memphis' part IMO, I'm perfectly happy with it as I'm a Rockets fan and the Grizzles are in our division :D Not to mention the fact the Rockets actually traded the draft pick that became Rudy Gay to Memphis for fucking scraps.[/QUOTE]

Couple Points

Rudy is on a max contract and shooting 40 pct from the field. Some of him not avging the numbers he could be avging is the Grizzlies system but he's really not a max player. That being said, he is a very good player, inconsistent, but I think capable of somewhere between 22-24 ppg for the Raptors.

This move gives the Grizz room to re-sign Tony Allen in the summer and maybe go after another free agent for the mid level. Tayshaun Prince will fit in seamlessly with the defense and provide some desperately needed 3pt shooting while Ed Davis will help frontcourt depth. ZBo is only getting older unfortunately and eventually Ed can take over.

So basically Rudy is way too inconsistent of a player for the price and I'm very happy with this trade. I really don't think this will have an impact on how well the Grizz will perform in the playoffs this year. I think this team can make the 2nd round or even the WCF, but the Grizz are solidly in the 4th spot and are just a step below the 3 premier teams in the West. The issues with this team are on offense and there have been multiple games where Rudy shot an abysmal %.

We were waiting for Rudy to make the jump from pretty good player to star and it just never happened. Don't forget that the 2011 playoff run was w/o Rudy. While Zach was playing much better ball back then, playing even more inside/out will only help the Grizz.

Edit: I'm giving props to myself for this: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9238788#post9238788

Even though it was probably a somewhat popular opinion, it was the day after the season started last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harden was an absolute animal tonight against the Thunder. He put up a career-high in points and Lin wasn't slouching either. Really glad we got the win.

Don't know what to think about the trade that they made just before the game though. Seems like we traded P Patt, who had clearly developed his 3-point shooting this season, for some rookie PF from the Kings that I haven't really heard of. But whatever. He was the 5th pick, so I guess he could have some potential.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Harden was an absolute animal tonight against the Thunder. He put up a career-high in points and Lin wasn't slouching either. Really glad we got the win.

Don't know what to think about the trade that they made just before the game though. Seems like we traded P Patt, who had clearly developed his 3-point shooting this season, for some rookie PF from the Kings that I haven't really heard of. But whatever. He was the 5th pick, so I guess he could have some potential.[/QUOTE]

Robinson was a beast at Kansas.

Vinsanity continues to turn back the clock. Aside from the rookie deals, he might be the best bargain in the NBA

I think Houston got a steal in Robinson. Patterson is an OK player, but 3 point % isn't really something I'm looking for from a PF. He also isn't a great rebounder. Like Casey said, Robinson was great at KU, and I think he'll really improve once he gets some minutes in Houston.

I wonder what my team was thinking. JJ was one of the only good things on our team and we dealt him off vs extending an offer. What we got in return was even more youth, no mid profile type player either.

This smell like the reverse of Otis Smith...

[quote name='antlp89']Damn I wish the Kings would stay in Sac.

I swear the Maloofs have been running the team into the ground for the last 10 years. No recent big name free agent signings, no money spent on coaching, have some of the lowest payroll in the league year after year... how do you expect the team to be good?

Then you don't sell the team to a local seller and use all of Sacramento's efforts to keep the team to get a better deal with Seattle (who by the way is desperate themselves to get a team). What a bunch of scumbags.

Like someone else mentioned, the only good thing to come out of the deal (as a Kings fan) would be that the Maloofs would no longer own the team.

Can't describe how much it blows that the Kings have been tanking all of these years under the Maloofs only to be traded away. After years of mediocrity, when these horrible owners are finally removed from ownership and the Kings show new hope for change... they are sold to another city.

:whistle2:([/QUOTE]Well it looks like things aren't getting any better for the Kings either. Stern went on record yesterday saying that Seattle currently has the better offer on the table and that the current offer from Sacramento isn't comparable.

This surprisingly isn't the Maloofs fault either. Mayor (and former player) Kevin Johnson and the investors are apparently the hold up.

Even though it's a win-win for my Rockets when it comes to who loses in this Lakers/Warriors game, but I was really hoping the Lakers could upset Golden State so we could jump them in the seedings.

But oh well. Assuming the Lakers do manage to hold onto the 8th seed, no way they get out of the first round.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Even though it's a win-win for my Rockets when it comes to who loses in this Lakers/Warriors game, but I was really hoping the Lakers could upset Golden State so we could jump them in the seedings.

But oh well. Assuming the Lakers do manage to hold onto the 8th seed, no way they get out of the first round.[/QUOTE]

I feel that if the Lakers are looking for a shot of moving on, it'd be against San Antonio. They don't want to see OKC and dont have enough time to earn anything higher seed-wise. If the Lakers play the way they have been recently and Gasol can stay healthy, the Spurs are the better matchup for them.

That game also was win for myself, being a die hard Mavs fan, as we're now only 1.5GB. Running out of time and we definitely have the tougher schedule, but stranger things have happened.

[quote name='merchie89']Havent seen too many heat games but honestly Ray Allen kinda worries me....aint as knockdown shooter as last season[/QUOTE]

I think the Chicago game was not the norm, he seems to be hitting his normal numbers. He's always been a little streaky with his shooting.

I likes how Danny Crawford just walked it off laughing immediately afterwards. If he was hurt at all, he sure as hell hid it well.

Wow, Erik Spoelstra just topped Gregg Popovich by resting his stars after Pop rested the Spurs starters in their first meeting, but unlike the Spurs in Miami, the Heat were able to pull out the win on the road without LeBron and Wade! Haha love that move by the Heat front office. I thought about them doing this when the Spurs did it awhile ago, but forgot until the game started.

Bosh gets no love from his coach either. "I'm sitting the stars like they did to us. Hold up Bosh, keep your jersey on." This is some bitch shit from both teams though.

Rumor is that Houston basketball legend Guy Lewis will finally make it into the Basketball HOF. I'm glad the old guy will get to see this day before he passed.

And the postseason is getting closer and closer. Just about 2 weeks left in the regular season, and if the Lakers can manage to stay a game ahead of Utah, they'll make it. It may come down to the last game of the season between the Lakers and my Rockets.

Danilo Gallinari went down tonight in our game vs Denver. That could be huge for them in the playoffs. Nothing out yet on how serious it is, but it looked pretty bad.

If you're the Knicks, don't you want 3rd seed instead of 2nd? Nobody wants to play Boston 1st round...ATL is an easier matchup. They have winning records against both teams but I just feel like Boston is a much tougher out come playoff time.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, so I havent been in this thread in a while but....how about the fucking Knicks and that one guy Melo?

Not going to take the time to go back to last year and see who I need to serve a plate of crow to but you know who you are.[/QUOTE]

It's all Melos fault.

Gotta love the career 1-8 in the playoffs that anthony is rocking. He probably cherishes that one career series win about as much as his MV...oh, nevermind he doesn't have one of those either. I will admit he has gotten better at rebounding, but other than that he is the same carmelo, just shooting more.

Also, I am still mesmerized by boozer rocking the ref.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Gotta love the career 1-8 in the playoffs that anthony is rocking. He probably cherishes that one career series win about as much as his MV...oh, nevermind he doesn't have one of those either.

Also, I am still mesmerized by boozer rocking the ref.
[/QUOTE]

He has won two. Denver went to the WCF with him at the helm.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, so I havent been in this thread in a while but....how about the fucking Knicks and that one guy Melo?

Not going to take the time to go back to last year and see who I need to serve a plate of crow to but you know who you are.[/QUOTE]
Why? He is still Melo. He shoots the ball way too much and can't get it done without Felton. I saw it earlier in the season when Felton was shelved with an injury.

What has worked for the Knicks is the non-Melo players and the lack of Amare/turnover machine Lin... only 1 defensive liability on the court (you know who *cough* Melo).

Unfortunately, Melo isn't the only defensive liability with the Knicks. Quick guards completely murder the Knick backcourt, especially when Shump is on the bench. Westbrook and Jackson made New York look silly yesterday. Fortunately, when they are hitting their 3's, it really doesn't matter. Live by the sword, die by the sword, though...

JR Smith has been integral in this recent run by the Knicks.

And the noose is getting tighter around the neck of the Lakers. They're a half game behind the Jazz now and due to Utah owning the tie-breaker, they need to be at least a game ahead of them if they want to make it to the playoffs.

[quote name='lordopus99']Why? He is still Melo. He shoots the ball way too much and can't get it done without Felton. I saw it earlier in the season when Felton was shelved with an injury.

What has worked for the Knicks is the non-Melo players and the lack of Amare/turnover machine Lin... only 1 defensive liability on the court (you know who *cough* Melo).[/QUOTE]

I see folks are playing the Felton card now. This would be the same Raymond Felton who was run out of town in Portland and was barely a starter in Charlotte. Yeah I'm sure Melo is nothing without him.

The Knicks win or lose based on how they shoot the three.

Hahaha Jermaine O'Neal just cost his team the game. You figured an old man like him would know not to goaltend on the last possession of a tied game.

Now all that's left is to wait for the Thunder to finish beating the Jazz in a couple minutes and the Rockets will have a playoff spot locked up.

EDit: Playoffs baby!!!! Now I can actually watch games without having to go to my friends house/the bar/illegally streaming them. fuck you Comcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all see that ESPN list of top players? What do y'all think?

1. LeBron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Chris Paul
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Russell Westbrook

Top 5 is not too different from my personal top 5 so I have no gripes about the top of the list. Here's my list:

1. LeBron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Chris Paul
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Kobe Bryant

Having Russell Westbrook up that high in my opinion is a mistake, but based off that spot and also both Parker and Duncan being in the top 10, I'd say current team success has too much to do with the PLAYER rankings.

ya I am surprised westbrook is that high but I think he would be amazing no matter who was by him I can't say that I disagree with that list that much this year though.

bread's done
Back