The 2013-14 NFL Thread

lol foles takes a sack he didn't need to take, Mccoy helps them out by getting the yards back in them some to make it 3rd and 3 and chip kelly doesn't run the ball.

The clock gaffe was embarrassing, but thankfully Dez made it irrelevant. What a play. Stupid play call on the 2-pointer though.

EDIT: Does Garrett know he had one more timeout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Orton Romo'd the game. Wow.

I can't wait to hear Shea in Irving's reaction to this on The Dan Patrick Show.

Cowboys. :( Tough loss. But not that bad... could've been worse. Defense finally came to play! Only 15 games late.

All in all, good game. Decent season. Hope the Eagles win next week, as there's nothing more I hate than Sean Payton's face.

I don't know whether Chud is the right coach or not, but when they had decent QB play they did well.

EDIT: How the hell do the Bears let the Packers WR open downfield?

Not sure I liked the play calling there for the Bears, but Marshall's huge drop was big.
Deion said the secondary was confused on what coverage they were running. 1/2 the DB's were playing Man and 1/2 were playing Cover 3.

Wow that Browns situation really ended up happening, lol what a joke of a franchise

also

bradypunt.gif

Yeah, the Browns really botched that one. I agree with an earlier post about now knowing if he was the man for the job, but they seemed to play well when they had stability under center. They clearly THOUGHT he was the guy when them hired them, and I don't see how this year's performance could change your mind. You gave the man little to work with and then traded away your starting running back.

Greg Schiano just got dumped. Slightly surprising.
Not only did Schiano get canned, but GM Mark Dominik got canned as well.

I'm definitely surprised. The Glazers are the type of owners that didn't seem like they gave a damn after the franchise's lone Super Bowl win 11 years ago.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/12/30/5257452/joe-banner-jimmy-haslam-face-the-heat-after-firing-head-coach-rob

A recap of the Haslam & Banner press conference, which basically suggests that they were surprised by the negativity from reporters and fans after being told last year that they wanted to focus on continuity.
The highlight of the press conference came from 19 Action News reporter Dan DeRoos, who stressed that he was a "News Guy" and not a "Sports Guy," but that he wanted to relay some of the fans' reactions to the upper management. Everyone was in shock and awe as he actually read fans' comments to Haslam:

"This team remains an embarrassment, not only to the NFL, but the fans as well, we deserve better."

"Who really cares any more, they have lost their fans trying to out-smart the rest of the league and frankly, they've encouraged apathy instead of hope."

"I'm totally done with anything Browns-related. Haslam and his stooges, Banner and Lombardi, can pack up and get out of Cleveland."

Then, DeRoos capped off his time with the question, "Jimmy, can you assure the fans that you don't have The Three Stooges running this operation?"

Haslam then preached that no one cares about winning more than they do, and that it galls him when the media and people have to write, "same old Browns," and that it is his mission to change that mentality.
https://twitter.com/sdoerschukREP/statuses/417722103186472961

I hope they take the criticism and ire seriously when making decisions during the off-season. They can preach all they want about doing things differently, but they haven't done anything yet to prove that they're actually doing it.

I always find it hilarious when the press starts asking frank questions and the management staff and coaches always respond with standard PR bullshit.

I always find it hilarious when the press starts asking frank questions and the management staff and coaches always respond with standard PR bullshit.
It's because they can't handle when the public wants to pop the comfy bubble that they live in that makes them think every move they make is perfect.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/12/30/5256590/tony-grossi-dishes-on-firing-of-rob-chudzinski

Some more information on why Chud was let go by the FO:

The next big piece of news here is the degree of meddling in coaching decisions by this front office. It's no secret that the Browns were working with a thin roster in some areas due to injuries or other factors. The secret was that management and the coaches weren't on the same page when it came to dealing with that issue. The front office wanted young guys thrown into the fire and Chud wanted to stick with some veterans. Take this example:
A case in point was the quick de-activation of cornerback Chris Owens on injured reserve to give playing time to rookie draft pick Leon McFadden, whom the coaches had buried on the bench. Owens later asked for his release once he was medically cleared from a knee injury and was signed by the Miami Dolphins.
This is crazy, right? Leon McFadden is a rookie and has not really shown any kind of NFL ability. But he was one of the few draft picks made by this front office, and a relatively high one at that. I think they needed to prove they were right about him, and the fact that Chud told them they were wrong created friction. By far the scariest part of this article to me was the revelation that Joe Banner was trying to tell Chudzinski how to run the locker room. This is terrifying:

At one point, Chudzinski was urged by Banner to “shake up” the locker room by cutting wide receiver Greg Little or guard Shawn Lauvao. Chudzinski declined, and that was interpreted as Chudzinski not holding players accountable for their failings.
Put yourself in Chud's seat for a minute. You know what happened to the running back position when you got rid of the starter (even if he wasn't very good to begin with). Now you're being asked to cut, not bench or limit playing time, but to outright cut one of your starting receivers and a guard who ended up starting 11 games. Do you think the FO is going to do any better replacing those guys than they did with the running backs? And sweet fancy moses, they wanted to create this problem all in the interest of "shaking up" the locker room!?
Chud gets a payout of $10.5 million after being fired, which is great for one season's work.

The Browns front office is dumb. All anyone has to do is watch what Carolina is doing this year instead of last year. Their offense is pretty freaking terrible this year compared to last year. If Chud was on board and with Riverboat Ron gambling, the Panthers would probably be the clear cut favorite to win it all.

I heard they (the Browns) are targeting Josh McDaniels... guy was a turd in Denver. I wonder if he has learned to be a human being

I heard they (the Browns) are targeting Josh McDaniels... guy was a turd in Denver. I wonder if he has learned to be a human being
The Browns could use his knowledge on offense, especially with the talent they have (Gordon, Cameron). One of those guys that seems like he's a great coordinator, but I'm not sure he's HC material.

At least he's a friend of the guys running the show, so they may not try to undermine his authority over the roster like they did to Chud. It's as much of a shot in the dark as any other pick at this point.

This is the same front office that desperately tried to move Josh Gordon. I think that says it all.
They didn't desperately try, if they did he'd be on the 49ers right now. That floated his name seeing what they could get. I don't question their roster moves, they fleeced Indy for Richardson.

Oh my, I find this hilarious..

They are reviewing Peyton Manning's yardage record. He only broke it by a yard

The league's record-keepers were taking another look at things Monday, as is customary each week in the season. At issue, according to sources, is a 7-yard completion from Manning to Eric Decker with just over a minute remaining in the first quarter.

Manning set the mark on the last play from scrimmage for the Broncos before halftime, a 5-yard touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas. He did not play in the second half.

In one camera angle, the pass to Decker looks like a lateral, which would make it a running play. Another angle, from above, shows Decker receiving the ball at the Broncos' 48-yard line, with Manning slightly deeper than that.

If the play stands, Manning would keep the record. If it is eventually ruled a run, he would be credited with 259 yards Sunday and 5,470 this season. The 5,470 would be the second-highest season total in league history and still easily be Manning's career best.

Yeah, they always review this kind of thing  

This is the same front office that desperately tried to move Josh Gordon. I think that says it all.
They didn't desperately try to trade Josh Gordon, as they just got lots of calls after the Trent Richardson trade because that's what other GMs should do to test the water. Once he came back and showed that he was still a great receiver, they had no reason to entertain any trade offers. They'd at least listen like anyone would do, but there wasn't any serious consideration as the commotion around the trade deadline proved.

[quote name="KillerRamen" post="11400919" timestamp="1388440180"]The Rams haven't had a winning season since 2003... That makes me a sad panda. :cry:[/quote]
You guys will remain terrible with Jeff Fisher. As a Titans fan nothing made me happier than seeing him leave.

[quote name="DestroVega" post="11408504" timestamp="1388645542"]Yeah. They've been totally killing it since he's left[/quote]

I didn't say our new coach is any better. He is 3-9 against the division in the last two years and he cant win any close gsmes which seems to be all of them. We are almost there though.

bread's done
Back