The 5111th Anime and Manga Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I finished up Shingu today. I liked it, especially the ending. Now on to the next show, but which one? Fruits Basket or Azumanga Daioh? Decisions, decisions, haha![/quote]

I'd go with Azumanga Daioh. I loved that series.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']naruto
I hope Pain kills Naruto. I liked it better when naruto used the nine-tails powers. Toad Sage power = lame
[/QUOTE]

Naruto
With the Nine Tails he never made a Rasengen as big as Jaraiya, and they had to do something with Naruto so he can catch up with Sasuke

And with the diamond on Tsunade's head, that's where she stores a lot of chakra, If i remember correctly it's to regenerate herself and I think that seal keeps her looking young. Every time she uses her regeneration her life span is shortened. Basically it's her last resort move.

I know a lot of people hate Naruto, but it's still one of my favorite anime/manga.
Hopefully all those pain bodies aren't robots and Kakashi still has a chance.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ditto, it's in my top three anime of all time.[/quote]

Yeah i've just started watching that too, really liking it so far.

Just started Desert Punk last night and it's just what I was looking for to fill my action comedy fix. I also tried Pani Poni Dash and gave up after the first episode. XP

[quote name='VioletArrows']I also tried Pani Poni Dash and gave up after the first episode. XP
smile.gif
[/quote]
Aww, it's such a great game :lol:

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ditto, it's in my top three anime of all time.[/quote]
Azumanga is my favourite series (see: username).
Its truly the most wonderful thing.

OK, I started up Fruits Basket, and watched about 6 episodes. I'm really liking it, and I'm glad I listened to those who said I should buy it. I was hesitant about it because of the title, haha.

I'll be watching Azumanga once I'm done with Fruits Basket.

Hey Violet, Desert Punk gets better as it goes along.

Indeed. It is easily in my top ten.

---

I think I remember someone requesting historical manga. If so, Mercenary Pierre is quite delicious. It has a raw art style reminiscent of Berserk. Fortunately, it reads better than Berserk, and features a protagonist that is actually likable (unlike Guts). :whistle2:#

[quote name='Chase']Indeed. It is easily in my top ten.

---

I think I remember someone requesting historical manga. If so, Mercenary Pierre is quite delicious. It has a raw art style reminiscent of Berserk. Fortunately, it reads better than Berserk, and features a protagonist that is actually likable (unlike Guts). :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
What's not to like about him?

Saw Afro Samurai last night, it was alright.. too much style too little substance.

Audio/Video: A-
Everything else: D+

Anyone here read manga online? I've been reading Pluto by the same guy that wrote Monster. He took a 2 episode long story arc from Astroboy and turned it into a complex scifi murder mystery/suspense thriller. This is much better then I would have ever expected. I like how he layers on multiple plotlines at the same time. I guess I'll have to get to Monster next when I can.

[quote name='cletus']Anyone here read manga online? I've been reading Pluto by the same guy that wrote Monster. He took a 2 episode long story arc from Astroboy and turned it into a complex scifi murder mystery/suspense thriller. This is much better then I would have ever expected. I like how he layers on multiple plotlines at the same time. I guess I'll have to get to Monster next when I can.[/quote]

When I read manga, I read it online.

I kinda have to be prodded into it. Even series that I love I don't keep up on.

Mmm... The latest ones I've read have been Mirai Nikki, Deadman Wonderland, and HighSchool of the Dead.

I wasn't too keen on Monster when I watched it, but I heard the manga's better at pacing.

[quote name='cletus']Anyone here read manga online? I've been reading Pluto by the same guy that wrote Monster. He took a 2 episode long story arc from Astroboy and turned it into a complex scifi murder mystery/suspense thriller. This is much better then I would have ever expected. I like how he layers on multiple plotlines at the same time. I guess I'll have to get to Monster next when I can.[/quote]

only naruto although i was curious if the initial d manga went further than the cartoons.

Liquid 2, I simply don't like what he does or says. Guts is worse than some antagonists. :whistle2:k

Good choice. I have been reading Pluto 'cause I love Urasawa. :drool:

okay so i'm caught up on reborn. now i need something else to watch.

someone recommend some shonen goodness, and keep in mind i've seen all of:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT
Yu Yu Hakusho
Flame of Recca
Kiba
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach
Rurouni Kenshin
Hellsing (1st season or whatever)
Trigun
Hunter X Hunter
Bastard
Guyver
Full Metal Alchemist
Get Backers
Outlaw Star

thanks for the input.

Hellsing was definitely shonen... for goths.

I'm four eps into Samurai Champloo and it seems quite good, though it's megapopular so you've probably seen it and just forgot to list it.

I got Volume 3 of R.O.D. TV from SecondSpin, but they ended up sending me volume 2 (which I already have) in the volume 3 case. I got credit for the mixup, but now I need volumes 3, 4 and 5.

After seeing that Right Stuf only has a few copies of Volume 5 left, I decided to order Volume 4 from SecondSpin with the credit I got and bite the bullet on 3 and 5 from Rightstuf.

So now I have the whole series, finally.

[quote name='Rocko']I got Volume 3 of R.O.D. TV from SecondSpin, but they ended up sending me volume 2 (which I already have) in the volume 3 case. I got credit for the mixup, but now I need volumes 3, 4 and 5.

After seeing that Right Stuf only has a few copies of Volume 5 left, I decided to order Volume 4 from SecondSpin with the credit I got and bite the bullet on 3 and 5 from Rightstuf.

So now I have the whole series, finally.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like quite the journey, but I'm happy you finally got them all! Such a great series... I was shocked when it wasn't license-rescued by Funimation last week. Fools.

ROD TV was kinda disappointing but I can't quite place my finger on why. I loved the OVA and still watch it occasionally. The tv series was sorta slow and nothing really happened in each episode. That was fine when it was a slice of life comedy but then it turned into a action story again and frankly it was just boring. It didn't help that I didn't like half the cast.

[quote name='cletus']ROD TV was kinda disappointing but I can't quite place my finger on why. I loved the OVA and still watch it occasionally. The tv series was sorta slow and nothing really happened in each episode. That was fine when it was a slice of life comedy but then it turned into a action story again and frankly it was just boring. It didn't help that I didn't like half the cast.[/QUOTE]

It was disappointing because an entire series about people molding paper doesn't work. OVA was shorter and had a nice flare , t.v series overdid the gimmick and became boring as a result.

Edit: Nuts, new remastered Berserk collection got pushed back to March

just summarize comments:

Busou Renkin - Cool this is on my list of things to see, so it's good to hear a recommendation.

Welcome To NHK - One of my favs ever, I loved this show.

Samurai Champloo - I didn't like the characters and was quickly bored by this one.

Claymore - Haven't seen anything about this. Good recommendation! I'll check into it.

Black Lagoon - I've seen the first ep or so and have vague memories of this. Don't know if I can get my wife into a show that centered on guns, but I'll try.

Keep 'em coming guys, thanks.

if any of you like welcome to the nhk then check out genshiken. freakin bleach though man why do they keep dragging out these fights?

I love the R.O.D. OVA to death, and I enjoyed the first disk of the R.O.D. TV series when I watched it a while back. I'm excited to get these discs in so I can plow through the series, finally. :lol:

[quote name='lokizz']freakin bleach though man why do they keep dragging out these fights?[/QUOTE]

Because the author/artist is a hack.

[quote name='Rocko']I love the R.O.D. OVA to death, and I enjoyed the first disk of the R.O.D. TV series when I watched it a while back. I'm excited to get these discs in so I can plow through the series, finally. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ignore the naysayers. I much prefer the TV series to the OVA. The characters are some of my favorites in all of anime, and watching them interact with each other makes each and every episode an absolute joy. The action episodes also hold their own when compared to the high-energy OVA. It takes a lot to earn a place in my top five, and R.O.D The TV pulled it off with ease.

[quote name='lokizz']if any of you like welcome to the nhk then check out genshiken. freakin bleach though man why do they keep dragging out these fights?[/quote]

Yeah Genshiken would be a good recommendation for those that liked NHK.

As for Bleach I find I watch maybe 10 minutes out of each episode. The rest is spent skipping over unnecessary BS they inject in large quantities. #-o

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ignore the naysayers. I much prefer the TV series to the OVA. The characters are some of my favorites in all of anime, and watching them interact with each other makes each and every episode an absolute joy. The action episodes also hold their own when compared to the high-energy OVA. It takes a lot to earn a place in my top five, and R.O.D The TV pulled it off with ease.[/QUOTE]
Out of curiosity, what else would you place in your top 5 other than R.O.D., Azumanga Daioh, and Princess Tutu?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']just summarize comments:

Busou Renkin - Cool this is on my list of things to see, so it's good to hear a recommendation.

Welcome To NHK - One of my favs ever, I loved this show.

Samurai Champloo - I didn't like the characters and was quickly bored by this one.

Claymore - Haven't seen anything about this. Good recommendation! I'll check into it.

Black Lagoon - I've seen the first ep or so and have vague memories of this. Don't know if I can get my wife into a show that centered on guns, but I'll try.

Keep 'em coming guys, thanks.[/quote]

How about:
Witch Hunter Robin
Trinity Blood
Blood+

[quote name='Rocko']Out of curiosity, what else would you place in your top 5 other than R.O.D., Azumanga Daioh, and Princess Tutu?[/QUOTE]

Revolutionary Girl Utena is my absolute number one - nothing else even comes close. Monster rounds out the list.

[quote name='Z_meista']How about:
Witch Hunter Robin
Trinity Blood
Blood+[/QUOTE]

Amusing you just listed three shows I couldn't stand Witch Hunter Robin and Blood+ were pretty boring and I only managed 5 episodes of Trinity Blood before turning it off.

[quote name='Rocko']I love the R.O.D. OVA to death, and I enjoyed the first disk of the R.O.D. TV series when I watched it a while back. I'm excited to get these discs in so I can plow through the series, finally. :lol:[/quote]

What do you know? The tv series just arrived today from my Netflix queue.

Need a recommendation based on these likes. i don't keep up with anime, so I have no idea what's out.

--Ergo proxy
--Cowboy Bebop
--Berserk
--Monster
--Death Note
--Samurai Champloo

Not sure if there's anything that follows logically from that list... :lol:

[quote name='ninja dog']Need a recommendation based on these likes. i don't keep up with anime, so I have no idea what's out.

--Ergo proxy
--Cowboy Bebop
--Berserk
--Monster
--Death Note
--Samurai Champloo

Not sure if there's anything that follows logically from that list... :lol:[/quote]
have you seen:
ghost in the shell
samurai 7
rurouni kenshin
paranoia agent
gantz
gankutsuou
noir
black lagoon

[quote name='Z_meista']have you seen:
ghost in the shell - liked both seasons
samurai 7 - seen a few eps, didn't grab me
rurouni kenshin - haven't seen
paranoia agent - saw it, enjoyed the first couple episodes, but not when the show got overly surreal
gantz - saw it. was entertaining, though ultimately a shallow vehicle for gore/some tits/a message about the importance of team work.
gankutsuou - haven't seen it
noir - haven't seen it
black lagoon - haven't seen it [/QUOTE]

made notes :)

ghost in the shell : Movies were good, haven't seen the t.v show

samurai 7 :Great one time show but the tension and drama can't really be rewatched

rurouni kenshin : Nice comedy first season, super action filled second season...... avoid the third season like the plague

paranoia agent :Caught a few eps didn't do it for me

gantz : Nina Dog mentioned he came away thinking it was a teamwork vehicle. I could see that view but really felt more like stressing no matter how bad things get fight no matter what. A lot of action, nudity and gore.

gankutsuou : One of my top 5 for sure, I loved the series to death

noir : Bored out of my skull ten episodes in and gave up

black lagoon : Caught a few eps, seemed like a fun action show

[quote name='ninja dog']Need a recommendation based on these likes. i don't keep up with anime, so I have no idea what's out.

--Ergo proxy
--Cowboy Bebop
--Berserk
--Monster
--Death Note
--Samurai Champloo

Not sure if there's anything that follows logically from that list... :lol:[/quote]

Though Berserk is a curious addition, it would seem like you want something with depth... I figure this is a decent list.

Shigofumi
Kino's Journey
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Last Exile
Baccano
Haibane Renmai
Darker than Black

I'll explain my choices if you so desire.

So far I watched some fan subs of Skip Beat and I love what I see. The main character seems crazy and out for revenge. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back