The big TRU B2G1 Free Sale - Oct 23-29! XB, PS2 and GC only. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone confirm that TRU will definitely be getting a shippment of RE4 Premium Edition for the PS2?

I'm afraid this version's distribution will be like Splinter Cell: CT Collector's where GS & EB are the main retailers that carry it.

[quote name='dios']Do these games include packaged things like if i buy Donkey Konga with bongos, jungle beat with bongos, and DMC3, DMC3 will be free?

if not then its

Nightmare before christmas on ps2
Burnout Revenge Xbox
Soul Calibur 3 for me[/QUOTE]

Game + controller bundles are eligible. Last year I picked up Donkey Konga + bongos and Taiko Drum Master + drum, along with something else I can't remember.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Can anyone confirm that TRU will definitely be getting a shippment of RE4 Premium Edition for the PS2?

I'm afraid this version's distribution will be like Splinter Cell: CT Collector's where GS & EB are the main retailers that carry it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt TRU would get the RE4 LE.

[quote name='abilyk']Game + controller bundles are eligible. Last year I picked up Donkey Konga + bongos and Taiko Drum Master + drum, along with something else I can't remember.[/QUOTE]

DDR?

I could care less unless 360 games are included. I will just stick to Fry's and Gamerush TRU is full of dumb rednecks.

And I bet it won't include preorders.

[quote name='buster90']I could care less unless 360 games are included. I will just stick to Fry's and Gamerush TRU is full of dumb rednecks.

And I bet it won't include preorders.[/QUOTE]
Wow, what in the world is that all about? :whistle2:k Someone has issues.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']Question: If i buy 3 games, for $100, would i get the $50 credit back from the free game if i exchange?[/QUOTE]

Exchange it back to TRU without a receipt, you mean? They no longer do that (I've tried, trust me).

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']Question: If i buy 3 games, for $100, would i get the $50 credit back from the free game if i exchange?[/QUOTE]
No, it would show on your receipt that it was free. Year after year people have tried to get some sorta scam going, but they're not THAT dumb. You would get 33% of the price back since it's almost like you bought each game for a third of the price in their accounting system, make sense? Like if you bought 3 $49.99 games, since you got one for free, it's like you bought all 3 for $33.33 which in effect is the same as buying 2 for $100 and getting one for free.

If this is advertised can I PM with CC or BB? Also what is TRU return policy like because I think this would be an excellent way to get up on some 360 games but they don't start coming out until like 2-3 weeks after the sale if you were to pick up some of the Microsoft titles that are suppose to retail for $49.99.

they dont allow exchanges on the free game. Also they will NOT let you exchange for another game that wasnt currently out during the sale time. ex. you cant exchange one of the games for a game releasing in Novemember.

[quote name='uzumaki_star']If this is advertised can I PM with CC or BB? Also what is TRU return policy like because I think this would be an excellent way to get up on some 360 games but they don't start coming out until like 2-3 weeks after the sale if you were to pick up some of the Microsoft titles that are suppose to retail for $49.99.[/QUOTE]
Find an ad in the store, I PM'd it to BB last night.

That's how people who only want to buy one game can take advantage of this sale too for those wondering. Just buy 3 games (including the one you actually want) and return the other two, they'll refund you 2/3 of the total (assuming all three games are the same price) and you will have bought your game for a third off the retail price. :lol:

[quote name='onetrackmind']they dont allow exchanges on the free game. Also they will NOT let you exchange for another game that wasnt currently out during the sale time. ex. you cant exchange one of the games for a game releasing in Novemember.[/QUOTE]
I'd disagree with that, I exchanged two (out of many) games that I bought during the sale last year for games that came out later after the sale. Namely, I got MGS3 and DBZ:Budokai 3 after the sale was over by exchanging 2 titles I bought during the sale for the sole purpose of exchanging them for those 2.

[quote name='jjz203']No, it would show on your receipt that it was free. Year after year people have tried to get some sorta scam going, but they're not THAT dumb. You would get 33% of the price back since it's almost like you bought each game for a third of the price in their accounting system, make sense? Like if you bought 3 $49.99 games, since you got one for free, it's like you bought all 3 for $33.33 which in effect is the same as buying 2 for $100 and getting one for free.[/QUOTE]

It depends because I did this before at Target during the holiday season last year during a B2G1 promotion I bought some games for my nephew who didn't want them so when I went to return them they told me since it stated that the third game was free I couldn't return it so I got a free game and all of my money back. So it all depends on who you deal with when returning your merchandise. So this would be YMMV.

[quote name='uzumaki_star']It depends because I did this before at Target during the holiday season last year during a B2G1 promotion I bought some games for my nephew who didn't want them so when I went to return them they told me since it stated that the third game was free I couldn't return it so I got a free game and all of my money back. So it all depends on who you deal with when returning your merchandise. So this would be YMMV.[/QUOTE]
What?! So they gave you all your money back AND left the free game for you to keep?!?? :shock: How in the world did you manage that? I guess it is a YMMV, hahaha, it's like whether or not you get the complete moron as your customer service helper. :rofl: You are a lucky person, I wish I could get customer reps like that when I return stuff.

[quote name='jjz203']I'd disagree with that, I exchanged two (out of many) games that I bought during the sale last year for games that came out later after the sale. Namely, I got MGS3 and DBZ:Budokai 3 after the sale was over by exchanging 2 titles I bought during the sale for the sole purpose of exchanging them for those 2.[/QUOTE]

well your experience may be different than mine, but i worked at tru for 3 years and at my store this was and still is their policy. They even cockblocked me from doing an exchange and i was an employee there. I have a friend who still works there and is a manager and he told me that they are going to strictly enforce that rule this year. Take it for what its worth. For every TRU that sticks to this policy im sure there is one that doesnt.

[quote name='onetrackmind']they dont allow exchanges on the free game. Also they will NOT let you exchange for another game that wasnt currently out during the sale time. ex. you cant exchange one of the games for a game releasing in Novemember.[/QUOTE]

Last year I got Paper Mario, Donkey Konga, and San Andreas for free, and I was allowed to trade in Paper Mario for Halo 2 when it was released. Don't know about this year but it was legitimate last year.

[quote name='jjz203']What?! So they gave you all your money back AND left the free game for you to keep?!?? :shock: How in the world did you manage that? I guess it is a YMMV, hahaha, it's like whether or not you get the complete moron as your customer service helper. :rofl: You are a lucky person, I wish I could get customer reps like that when I return stuff.[/QUOTE]

It was because of the return policy for Target as long as you returned the games within 90 days with the original receipt they refund you your money but the funny thing is I paid cash for them just so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of having it charged back to my account.

What makes this so funny was the fact that the CSR actually called a manager offer to confirm if I had to return all three because I guess they thought if I returned the third game I was suppose to receive money for it so they wouldn't let me return it and wouldn't let me exchange it either. So I ended up getting a free copy of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and traded it in a couple of weeks later at Gamestop for $25 in store credit.

[quote name='onetrackmind']well your experience may be different than mine, but i worked at tru for 3 years and at my store this was and still is their policy. They even cockblocked me from doing an exchange and i was an employee there. I have a friend who still works there and is a manager and he told me that they are going to strictly enforce that rule this year. Take it for what its worth. For every TRU that sticks to this policy im sure there is one that doesnt.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't make sense to me since that would lead to legal consequences because their return/exchange policy explicitly state that any merchandise can be returned/exchanged AS LONG AS it is within 30 days and unopened, they don't have any disclaimers about sales or things like that. I think the TRU that you worked at and the ones you refer to are in trouble if someone was to litigate any problems in exchanging/returning a product. Ok, that's as legal and formal talk as I get. hahaha :lol: Just remember, the hard print takes precedence over any word of mouth in a court room. Unless TRU makes a new guideline and fine print that is available to ALL customers (meaning they need to print it on the receipt), they'll go the way of Apple if they want to be sticklers about exchanges and returns, meaning they will face class action legal suit leading to them eventually being assed out of a lot of money.

[quote name='uzumaki_star']It was... So I ended up getting a free copy of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and traded it in a couple of weeks later at Gamestop for $25 in store credit.[/QUOTE]
Man, so where is this Target you went to? :lol:

[quote name='partygirlie21']Does anyone know if this will be online?[/QUOTE]
Probably to some extent, as the other two sales have been. They may not allow mix-and-match between systems similar to the current sale or something like that.

Yeh, last year they had it online, but only for same console games. You can mix and match in stores across platforms.

People keep forgetting a few things:

1) TRU is owned by a different company now than it was last year when the sale went on.
2) They removed the PM policy (back in May, I think) due to this change in management, since it was costing them money to do PM's.
3) Even though they encouraged people to buy games during the sale and exchange them for games that come out 30 days from date of purchase, it doesn't mean they'll do it again. Not every TRU did this, so don't assume the same things will happen this year.
4) When you buy 3 games that cost you $100 total, each one is "worth" $33.33, even if they ring out $50 + $50 + free.
5) Let the people that work at TRU, such as the OP, benboxer and Zon27 tell you how the policy works this year. They work there, they know how it works. Also, OTM did work there for 3 years, and he keeps up with their policies as well.

True, ok, sorry for the hassle. I just felt confused, but I do realize that things can be very different this year because of the management change. Oh well, good thing I'm not too eager for any title this year since I have craploads of backlog waiting to be played. October 23rd feels so far away right now.

[quote name='62t']check the fry's topic. The often sell new $50 games for $34.99. $38.99, and $39.99[/QUOTE]

Fry's sells their games at loss leader promotions. How to tell this? easy, i can't match fry's ads of video games anywhere around here anymore, and fry's is only 8 miles up the street.

best buy continually gives me the "below cost" antic, and circuit city barks the same tale...

wal mart never wants to match fry's becuase of their funky arrow system on most games pointing to the price next to it in the ad over . "the price isnt listed next to the game we cant do it sorry!"

I'm sure that this is YMMV for exchanges. I returned Bloodrayne 2 last year, and exchanged it for Halo 2 (which released after the sale). I may try it this year, since my wishlist is so big anyways, it won't matter if they won't let me exchange.

[quote name='jjz203']Man, so where is this Target you went to? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually I bought the games at one Target and then returned them to the closest one to me.

[quote name='nwaugh']Are GBA games included?[/QUOTE]

They were not last year I would assume not this year but they are under new mangement so who knows.

I'm thinking of getting

Digital Devil Saga 1
Digital Devil Saga 2

And either Makai Kingdom or Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

And this will mostly guarantee the price will drop for everyone for all three games in short manner.

Gotta love this time of the year...I'm all over this deal! I've been waiting a freaking year for this sale to happen again xD I wasn't able to take advantage last year, since there weren't any games that I really wanted, but this month is going to be huge for releases. Here's what I plan on getting:

Indigo Prophecy
Shadow of the Colossus
Soul Calibur III

Here's my little dilemma...I would love to get Resident Evil 4, but I'm not sure if they're going to carry the LE version like someone else already pointed out. Also, what are the chances of Toys R Us carrying Indigo Prophecy? I want Shadow of the Colossus the DAY it comes out, so I'm not sure if I can wait a week. >_< Plus, since I work at GameStop, I get discounts on the games I buy...so I'd only be saving about $19 if I bought 3 games from Toys R Us.

I wish this sale started Oct 25th, the day Soul Calibur III gets released...so I don't have to go back again. How good is Toys R Us with the release dates? Do they usually get the games the day they're released? Gaaaah! Too much thinking. Head...about...to explode.

I usually go nuts at this sale, but I think I am only going to pick up one set of games this time around. Getting a triple dose of Marvel comics is tempting (Nemesis, Hulk and Ult. Spiderman), but those will all be $20 shortly after Xmas. I think I'll go with Shadow of the Colossus, Indigo Prophecy and something else in the $40 range. Hell, by then maybe IP will be cheap and I can pass this sale up altogether.

I am sure my tune will change once the sale starts though....it might be too hard to resist. ;)

Thankfully I can't really think of anything that would fall into my price range (that isn't already purchased $19.99 and under) other than TimeSplitters: FP. Which is good since I just blew $300 last month (my worst month as a CAG - though I only spent an average of $11 per game, so it wasn't all bad). So I think October will be the chill month where I use my Gamestop B2G1F coupon and just save up some cash for Black Friday.

hey i noobie question here....could i buy 2 games at $50 then 1 free on oct. 29 then i wait 30 day till nov 22 to exchange them for kameo, pdz, project g 3 since those games are $50 bucks too

Why can't people just buy any 2 $50 games and get a $50 free game. Then exchange the ones you don't like at Walmart or Target, where you don't need a receipt?

That's what I'm doing. It's not a scam/fraud or whatever you want to call it because I'm just simply exchanging games. The store won't lose any money what so ever.

[quote name='Escobar4Life']Why can't people just buy any 2 $50 games and get a $50 free game. Then exchange the ones you don't like at Walmart or Target, where you don't need a receipt?

That's what I'm doing. It's not a scam/fraud or whatever you want to call it because I'm just simply exchanging games. The store won't lose any money what so ever.[/QUOTE]
Let me just say that you're likely to get plenty of flames over that situation.

Plus, those stores are cracking down on no-receipt returns, so it's not as simple as you think.

Just don't do it and that's that.

[quote name='Escobar4Life']Why can't people just buy any 2 $50 games and get a $50 free game. Then exchange the ones you don't like at Walmart or Target, where you don't need a receipt?

That's what I'm doing. It's not a scam/fraud or whatever you want to call it because I'm just simply exchanging games. The store won't lose any money what so ever.[/QUOTE]

Actually, depending on what crappy game you trade to them at $50 they may lose money because the demand for the particular game you exchanged is lower than the one that you got from them. Then they will have to discount the crap game that you exchanged to them to get rid of it.

Did that make any sense? :)

Agreed.... I rather buy 2 get 1 free from TRU then exchange different game later instead take it to Walmart (alot hassle & ID)

Addressing two things that came up in this thread a lot so far:

One, returning to your local Walmart or Target is YMMV. Personally, I've never gotten cash back for things I've returned without a receipt, so if you want to get Walmart giftcards, go right ahead.

Two, last year, I tried trading games I got in during the B2G1F for games that came out after the sale had expired, and they wouldn't let me. So again, this is YMMV.

And then I wonder why TRU never has the games I want.

To be assured that you can earn money form this deal, all you have to do is buy 3 games during the sale that are brand new just released (i.e. Soul Calibur 3, Shadow of the colossus, etc) and just sell them on ebay....... games like that usually go for $40 (if they are worth $50, and about $35 if they are $40 retail)....... you can easily earn at least $20 if you sell all 3 games............ rinse and repeat

A lot of work, but you could earn enough to pay for a free xbox 360...... (of course you have to sell about 60 games and be able to use a credit card to charge $2000 upfront)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back