The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective mon 7/25

:ps3:
Dead space 2 $24.99
Dragon age 2 $29.99
Enslaved $14.99
F1 2010 $24.99
Gran turismo 5 $39.99
Guitar hero van halen $6.99
James bond bloodstone $14.99
Madden 11 $19.99
Medal of honor $9.99
Mindjack $14.99
MLB 11 the show $39.99
Test drive unlimited 2 $19.99
Tron evolution $14.99
Wwe smackdown vs raw 2011 $24.99
move start the party $19.99
Move the fight lights out $19.99

:360:
Dead space 2 24.99
Dragon age 2 $29.99
Fight night champions $39.99
Guitar hero van halen $6.99
James bond bloodstone $14.99
Madden 11 $19.99
Mindjack $14.99
Shift 2 unleashed $29.99
Tron evolution $14.99
Wwe smackdown vs raw 2011 $24.99

:wii:
Disney epic mickey $19.99
Donkey kong country $24.99
Guitar hero warriors $19.99
James bond 007 goldeneye $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $19.99
Madden 11 $14.99
Monopoly street $19.99
Raving rabbids travel in time $14.99
Spiderman shattered dimensions $14.99
Wwe smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

No blu ray drops.[/QUOTE]
I paid 29.99 still for Donkey Kong today about 11 est. Do the prices go into effect at some specific point during the day?

As HB said in the post you just quoted, price drops go in effect on Monday 7/25.

Assuming you bought the game before Monday, then yeah no price drop, however I'm sure if you bring it back with the receipt they'd adjust the price. Not sure though..

[quote name='IronZombie']As HB said in the post you just quoted, price drops go in effect on Monday 7/25.

Assuming you bought the game before Monday, then yeah no price drop, however I'm sure if you bring it back with the receipt they'd adjust the price. Not sure though..[/QUOTE]
My post clearly said TODAY and was written on Monday the 25th. As in, I actually bought it anyway at 29.99 but my question still stands on whether that was a mistake (and yes it was a corporate store).

They just changed something in our system on how prices get updated each week. Each individual store must now go into the system and "accept" any price changes for the week. This could/will be a BIG problem going forward as I imagine most stores have it on the bottom of things to do come Monday morning even though it literally takes 5 sec. I also bet some stores don't even know about it and they will keep wondering why things are ringing up incorrectly.

Well, there goes going to any of my local BB's on day one for any deals. They rarely, if ever have signage up, or are aware of the sales at all, I've just always been able to rely on that register auto-updating with the deals. Now, I'll probably have to wait until mid week to take advantage of sales.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']They just changed something in our system on how prices get updated each week. Each individual store must now go into the system and "accept" any price changes for the week. This could/will be a BIG problem going forward as I imagine most stores have it on the bottom of things to do come Monday morning even though it literally takes 5 sec. I also bet some stores don't even know about it and they will keep wondering why things are ringing up incorrectly.[/QUOTE]

So wait, does this mean that prices for games will be basicly be ymmv ? What kind of garbage is this, booo

This may require going into the store each week and asking if there have been any video game price changes that week. Perhaps that will prompt them to do what they need to do.

[quote name='strait edge follower']So wait, does this mean that prices for games will be basicly be ymmv ? What kind of garbage is this, booo[/QUOTE]

It means the changes aren't going to happen right away. Monday... my store prepares the wall for new movie releases in addition to adding new titles to their used dvds. My guess is the games would follow suit after that. In other words, wait a day or so and then go in.

[quote name='lordopus99']It means the changes aren't going to happen right away. Monday... my store prepares the wall for new movie releases in addition to adding new titles to their used dvds. My guess is the games would follow suit after that. In other words, wait a day or so and then go in.[/QUOTE]

Im worried cause my blockbuster is so lazy

damn this is very bad news. My BBV's hate when I bring a game marked 19.99 to the counter and they say this doesn't qualify, only to scan it and then they eat their words. Looks like that wont be happening now :/

[quote name='killercane']My post clearly said TODAY and was written on Monday the 25th. As in, I actually bought it anyway at 29.99 but my question still stands on whether that was a mistake (and yes it was a corporate store).[/QUOTE]
Hmm.. for some reason it said you wrote it on Sunday on my computer.. might need to adjust the settings.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']They just changed something in our system on how prices get updated each week. Each individual store must now go into the system and "accept" any price changes for the week. This could/will be a BIG problem going forward as I imagine most stores have it on the bottom of things to do come Monday morning even though it literally takes 5 sec. I also bet some stores don't even know about it and they will keep wondering why things are ringing up incorrectly.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt that also mean that certain stores can just say "no" to the pricedrops?

By doing nothing they are saying no. Call around to ur local stores and see how many have or have not done the price changes. Donkey kong is probably a game every store should have so that would be a good starting point.

:)[quote name='hawaiiboy']By doing nothing they are saying no. Call around to ur local stores and see how many have or have not done the price changes. Donkey kong is probably a game every store should have so that would be a good starting point.[/QUOTE]

my blockbuster does surprisingly have a crap load of copys of donkey kong

This sounds like an all around terrible practice for a chain store to pull.. how are they supposed to regulate prices if they leave it up to the management to change the prices if they feel like it. I don't understand the concept..

[quote name='hawaiiboy']By doing nothing they are saying no. Call around to ur local stores and see how many have or have not done the price changes. Donkey kong is probably a game every store should have so that would be a good starting point.[/QUOTE]

Google now has live inventories for every store with individual stores prices, so if its the same as their Sears locator, it'll show which stores have what for what price. Its just annoying that i'd have to skip the store that might have the one game i'm really looking for because they havent done the price updates yet.

If as Hawaiiboy says it only takes seconds to update, a friendly consumer could always ask that they do so while said polite and patient consumer waits with a potential purchase.

Gamecrazy used to be the same way. Employees would call other stores to get the correct information and would also update if necessary. It took them longer than a minute or two to do so IIRC.

[quote name='Dnell']dag I need bogo. No telling when that is going to happen[/QUOTE]
Likely in September. Should give us enough time to get a couple more price drops but yeah.. it's a little over a month away so it's not too far off. :D

I just searched on Blockbuster's site for the store near where I'm headed today and it DOESN'T come up in the search anymore.:bomb:

That sucks too since the store manager there was super friendly and helpful every time I was in there.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just searched on Blockbuster's site for the store near where I'm headed today and it DOESN'T come up in the search anymore.:bomb:

That sucks too since the store manager there was super friendly and helpful every time I was in there.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Damn, I did the same thing and my favorite B1G1 store is gone. I used to have like 15 stores near me. I could hit up all of them in one giant 30-40 mile circle. Now I have 3 or 4 stores left to hit up in that giant circle. dammit man.

That fucking sucks donkey dick. How nice to have another hurdle to jump when buying previously viewed blu-rays and games. Yay.

I guess I need to remember to prep myself for disappointment when catching up on this thread.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Damn, I did the same thing and my favorite B1G1 store is gone. I used to have like 15 stores near me. I could hit up all of them in one giant 30-40 mile circle. Now I have 3 or 4 stores left to hit up in that giant circle. dammit man.[/QUOTE]
The store that closed by me wasn't really that well stocked when it came time for a BOGO, but I do still feel sorry for the employees there since many of them survived prior rounds of closings only to most likely lose their jobs once Dish took them over.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The store that closed by me wasn't really that well stocked when it came time for a BOGO, but I do still feel sorry for the employees there since many of them survived prior rounds of closings only to most likely lose their jobs once Dish took them over.[/QUOTE]
Well to be fair, Dish did kind of bail a lot of them out. They would've all eventually closed if Dish didn't step in so I don't think blaming Dish Network is advised.

They probably look at a lot of factors in determining who gets shut down, so they probably weren't making much profit if they got the axe. I just hope there's no more closings in the near future. One of the BBV's near me that I actually like has survived so far. I just wouldn't want to go out of my way too far for a couple of cheap games.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Only price drop for next week.

:360: :ps3:
Portal 2 $29.99[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good price. I might have to pick one up, especially since I haven't played through it yet.

Phew, my Blockbuster is still there.

Thanks for the update HB. Portal 2 is tempting at $30, but I can wait for the $20 price tag.

[quote name='IronZombie']Well to be fair, Dish did kind of bail a lot of them out. They would've all eventually closed if Dish didn't step in so I don't think blaming Dish Network is advised.

[/QUOTE]

Really, if it wasn't for Dish Network, BBV would be close to finishing up it's liquidation sale around now.

[quote name='yourlefthand']So if I were to find a bubble packed wii points card, what would the price be now?[/QUOTE]

2 month ago I got one marked $9.95 (same as MS points)

I know this isn't really on-topic of gaming...I never rented a movie/game before. Noticed a Red Box, but it needs a credit/debit card. Can I rent movies/games from Blockbuster just using cash? Thanks ahead.

Can I rent movies/games from Blockbuster just using cash?

u need to have a valid credit card on file to rent a game but you can pay with cash. you dont need a credit card to rent any movies.

Thank you very much hawiiboy for the quick response. I was going to look up the information on Blockbuster's website. Good, I was more interested in renting movies since I have gaming backlog.

Looks like I'll finally rent some Blu-rays/DVDs of movies that my co-workers are all shocked I haven't seen like "the Hangover," "Star Trek" (the newest one), "Transformers" (the newer ones), and "Iron Man" 1 and 2. Just never had the time to go to the movie theaters.

Looks like I'll finally rent some Blu-rays/DVDs of movies that my co-workers are all shocked I haven't seen

just a fyi, today and every sunday is $.49 movies all day. any $1.99 or less title (anything 5 weeks or older qualifies blu ray included) is $.49.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Thank you very much hawiiboy for the quick response. I was going to look up the information on Blockbuster's website. Good, I was more interested in renting movies since I have gaming backlog.

Looks like I'll finally rent some Blu-rays/DVDs of movies that my co-workers are all shocked I haven't seen like "the Hangover," "Star Trek" (the newest one), "Transformers" (the newer ones), and "Iron Man" 1 and 2. Just never had the time to go to the movie theaters.[/QUOTE]

You coworkers are shocked that you haven't watched the newer "Transformers" movies? Good lord. The newer transformers movies are possibly 2 of the worst movies ever made. You just saved yourself a good $20 at the theaters. The hangover and Iron man 1 are really good, star trek and iron man 2 are decent but not great.

In Southern CA, I saw Dead Space 2(PS3) for 24.99 and Dead Rising 2(PS3) for 19.99. Picked up the latter and Bayonetta(PS3) for 32 dollars and some change.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']just a fyi, today and every sunday is $.49 movies all day. any $1.99 or less title (anything 5 weeks or older qualifies blu ray included) is $.49.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I think it's time to make it a Blockbuster night again, so I can go home happy.

I been using blockbuster more often lately. Since the prices are more reasonable and I want my local store to stick around. Thanks HB for the constant updates.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Are there even any left in San Diego[/QUOTE]

There's only two that I know of. One out in Chula Vista and the one in El Cajon I think.

[quote name='icarusmight']I been using blockbuster more often lately. Since the prices are more reasonable and I want my local store to stick around. Thanks HB for the constant updates.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 110%. Most reasonable prices BY FAR from the competition (in-store) anyway. With the exception of Black Ops and COD: MW2 (which are still overpriced IMHO, but still beats GameStop....Got side tracked for a minute but OMG! I just checked GS site and Black Ops is STILL $54.99; I think Blockbuster either has it b/t $35-$40) I don't think you can beat Blockbuster (in-store). They've "come up", if you will.

[quote name='sdclippers']There's only two that I know of. One out in Chula Vista and the one in El Cajon I think.[/QUOTE]

The El Cajon Bbv closed down too.

bread's done
Back