The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
If I go to a Blockbuster that only has a couple games I want for the 5 for 30, can I later exchange them for games I want at another Blockbuster store assuming they were also on the list?

[quote name='nadohawk']If I go to a Blockbuster that only has a couple games I want for the 5 for 30, can I later exchange them for games I want at another Blockbuster store assuming they were also on the list?[/QUOTE]

No. Blockbuster and Returns are not to be used in the same sentence. Same store only and only if it doesn't work inside of 30 days and only for the same game.

[quote name='Luxuria']Lies! Thanks for the answer! I checked the OP and didn't see it so that's why I asked. [/QUOTE]

Hah, well, I didn't read this thread over the weekend and now I see all hell has broken loose. I read back a few pages late last night and even I was confused. Let me get this straight? It seems maybe the sale is starting this Friday, or maybe Tuesday? And yet for some reason people thought it might also start today!? WTF!? For BBV newbies sales have always started on Tuesdays so hoping for today made no sense. I can see why people are thinking Tuesday though because in the past they have claimed sales were starting on a Friday but in reality they started on Tuesday since that's when their weekly cycle starts.

It's not in the OP because of all this confusion. Once it actually starts or we get a firm confirmation from HB I'll add it in there.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Nope. Nothing new to update. I'm still thinking its gonna start on Friday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks hb. Any inclination as to whether the deal will ring up automatically or require a barcode? I'm sure some of my bbvs won't know about the sale. What should I ask my employees to do if they don't know. Should I ask them politely to "check their memos?"

I'm probably getting ahead of myself because I'm busy all day Friday and Friday nights at BBV are hella busy.

Blockbuster, can you pleeeeeease start this sale already ? I've been walking into my blockbuster every night after work to see if anyone touched my targeted treasure lol. I can't take the wait anymore !!!!

[quote name='bgame2']No. Blockbuster and Returns are not to be used in the same sentence. Same store only and only if it doesn't work inside of 30 days and only for the same game.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'm not going to use this sale. All the Blockbusters I have gone to only have one or two good games...even if buying the bad games, three or four shoppers could clean out the store with this deal.

[quote name='thedragon']So can you get 10 for $60, 15 or $90 etc, or is there a limit?[/QUOTE]

lol if you can find 15 games for 15$ or under then go for it but something tells me you'll be having a hard time even finding 5.

In case anyone is still wondering, this is hawaiiboy's original post:

ALL $14.99 and under pre played (used) games will be 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99. it also includes gift packaging if you want it.

i'll post this over in the dvd thread too but its the same deal for both regular dvd's and blu rays. ANY previewed $14.99 and under movie is 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99.

I walked into a blockbuster today and I asked them about this sale and they handed me a flyer which on it was informing that the sale was going to be from november 19th-20th. I would post a picture of the flyer, but I'm unsure of how to do that in a thread. This means the sale starts this saturday and goes until sunday.

I got this flyer as well, but the employee was not clear about the start of the game sale - it might be tomorrow. No one is sure just yet.

[quote name='Jestifex']I walked into a blockbuster today and I asked them about this sale and they handed me a flyer which on it was informing that the sale was going to be from november 19th-20th. I would post a picture of the flyer, but I'm unsure of how to do that in a thread. This means the sale starts this saturday and goes until sunday.[/QUOTE]

Oh Wow man that's ace ! Thanks for that bit of info

[quote name='mrwogs2']I got this flyer as well, but the employee was not clear about the start of the game sale - it might be tomorrow. No one is sure just yet.[/QUOTE]

hmm, I wonder why they would start the sale for the games at a different time.

Since I'm up around 8-8:30am anyway to take my dog outside for his morning walk I'll probably pop down to my closest BBV to check tomorrow. Here's hoping it does start tomorrow.
[quote name='Jestifex']hmm, I wonder why they would start the sale for the games at a different time.[/QUOTE]
Maybe your store is a franchise store as opposed to a corporate run store? I know sometimes the franchised stores had different sales and sale dates than those run by the company.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Oh Wow man that's ace ! Thanks for that bit of info[/QUOTE]

Your welcome. Hopefully we all can find 5 "good" games to buy for $30

Also, I figure that if you do 5 for 30$ its $6 a game. And 3 for $20 makes it $6.66 a game.

Both these deals beat BOGO for $15 games since each game comes out to $7.50 that way

This is possibly the best deal for games they've ever had.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Since I'm up around 8-8:30am anyway to take my dog outside for his morning walk I'll probably pop down to my closest BBV to check tomorrow. Here's hoping it does start tomorrow.

Maybe your store is a franchise store as opposed to a corporate run store? I know sometimes the franchised stores had different sales and sale dates than those run by the company.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if its a franchise or not. It does make the situation of finding out their separate deals a hassle though.

I'll walk down the block from my place to my blockbuster in the morning. The good thing is if it doesn't start tommorow ill just walk back and play some batman and sonic without using much energy :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'll walk down the block from my place to my blockbuster in the morning. The good thing is if it doesn't start tommorow ill just walk back and play some batman and sonic without using much energy :)[/QUOTE]

And you get some free exercise!

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']And you get some free exercise![/QUOTE]
Considering I let my driver's license lapse over the weekend(but already paid for the card to take to the DMV to renew it) I guess I'll have to walk to my closest store tomorrow morning until I can bug one of my friends or family members to take me to the DL center to hopefully get my pic snapped for my new one.:)

It's only around 3-4 blocks away so it'll get me some good exercise too at least.

I guess it's inevitable that I have to walk in and bug them tomorrow lol but I guess no one's really sure yet when it starts. Kind of weird for a store not to know when their own promotions start.

Closest store to me is over a half hour away, so I may have to just go....or hopefully some fellow CAG users will report whether this is going on or not and save me the hassle :)

Definately relying on the kindness of CAGers to report back tomorrow. Not driving 45 minutes with a 1 year old unless I know for sure.

Called a couple stores today, here's what's been mentioned for building credit. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

:ps3: PS3 Trade Values - 14 Nov, 2011
12 Borderlands GOTY
17 Brink
12 Crysis 2
22 Driver: San Francisfo
17 Duke Nukem Forever
19 Dynasty Warriors 7
19 Hunted: Demon's Forge
12 Killzone 3
12 L. A. Noire
 6 NBA 2k11
19 Red Faction: Armageddon
12 Saw II

:360: 360 Trade Values - 14 Nov, 2011
15 Borderlands GOTY
17 Brink
12 Crysis 2
22 Driver: San Francisfo
17 Duke Nukem Forever
17 Dynasty Warriors 7
17 Hunted: Demon's Forge
12 L. A. Noire
15 NBA 2k11
19 Red Faction: Armageddon

I got this flyer as well, but the employee was not clear about the start of the game sale - it might be tomorrow. No one is sure just yet.
all stores should have the flyers advertising the sale. the flyers say the 19th and 20th but the packet they sent us says from the 18th-20th. again there is nothing in the packet that says exactly when this damn thing starts so i will continue to look for any new info.

its not only a game sale. in case anyone missed it the sale will work this way. ANY previewed movie regular dvd or blu ray or game $14.99 and under will qualify for the 3 or $20 or 5 for $30 deal. you can mix and match whatever you want. not sure if its gonna be a autobarcode(we can hope) or something the employee has to scan.

HB, if you get a chance I would like to know the trade in value for Driver: San Francisco for the Wii.
i wont be able to check til tomorrow.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']all stores should have the flyers advertising the sale. the flyers say the 19th and 20th but the packet they sent us says from the 18th-20th. again there is nothing in the packet that says exactly when this damn thing starts so i will continue to look for any new info. [/QUOTE]

The key thing that would be great for you to find out would be whether the promo is automatic or requires a bar code. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it requires a code since more recent promos have trended towards that. But of course it would be awesome if it was automatic so we don't have to worry about potentially different start dates (actual vs printed on the flyer).

I went in to BBV today for the first time in a while. There are definitely 5 $14.99 games I can get. Without digging into the bin too far, I found Heavy Rain, Spiderman (Shattered Dimensions or Web of Shadows - I forget which), Pokepark, Wii Party, AC Brotherhood, FF XIII and a few more. I might even be able to make 2 sets and that is pretty good for my little local BBV which usually has a pretty poor selection.

Plus I have $19 credit sitting there from a trade-in. I have another Red Faction Armageddon to trade in but I'm really hesitant to trade a second copy there since I'm sure my last one was the only trade-in they've gotten in months. The manager is already suspicious of me because I always know about the promos in advance. This is also why I didn't even bother asking about this one. I just checked out the games and used my 5 free rental card (from trading in an old gift card) to rent Cars 2 ;).

I noticed Rango was one of the $14.99 blu-rays so that may be a good choice as filler for some people. I bought it new when it came out though now I wished I hadn't.

I got an email for an "Open House" this weekend from the 19th-20th to view the "new" Blockbuster. This weekend will have many great sales, giveaways, and freebies. Can't wait to check it out!

I put HB's most recent price drops into the first spoiler tag in the OP. So that list contains the drops since May and represents a lot of what you are likely to find at any given store. Keep in mind some of it will have been wiped out in previous sales (things like Uncharted 2).

[quote name='hawaiiboy']all stores should have the flyers advertising the sale. The flyers say the 19th and 20th but the packet they sent us says from the 18th-20th. Again there is nothing in the packet that says exactly when this damn thing starts so i will continue to look for any new info.

Its not only a game sale. In case anyone missed it the sale will work this way. any previewed movie regular dvd or blu ray or game $14.99 and under will qualify for the 3 or $20 or 5 for $30 deal. You can mix and match whatever you want. not sure if its gonna be a autobarcode(we can hope) or something the employee has to scan.

I wont be able to check til tomorrow.[/quote]

I jizzed. :lol:

[quote name='io']I put HB's most recent price drops into the first spoiler tag in the OP. So that list contains the drops since May and represents a lot of what you are likely to find at any given store. Keep in mind some of it will have been wiped out in previous sales (things like Uncharted 2).[/QUOTE]

Many thanks Io. Much better than having to go back through the thread to figure it out.

Now I need to see if the Blockbusters around here sell games. Haven't seen any at the one I normally go to.

Also, I checked the store availability online. It's just sales right? Not for rent?

[quote name='4thHorseman']
Also, I checked the store availability online. It's just sales right? Not for rent?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just sales - if you mean you used Google shopping. I don't know what, if anything, Blockbuster's web site will tell you.

I've never seen a BBV that doesn't sell use games - though the selection can be pretty crappy at some of them. For the most part, though, they will tend to all have a similar selection since games are converted from rental to used (for sale) at roughly the same time in most places. So there will be a handful of decent games that are usually plentiful at these sales. And of course it is always better to go for the PS3 games because they tend to be in much better shape. 360 and Wii discs get trashed by careless renters - though at times when they have lots of copies of a certain game you may end up with a pristine disc that was never actually rented out. If they have multiples ask to see all the discs.

This is going to be an epic sale. Game/Movie mix is awesome. I'm going to spend so much my wallet is going to play TAPS nonstop for the departing greenbacks.

[quote name='mrwogs2']My BBV is only 5 min away, I'll swing by at 10am EST and report in to the thread here.[/QUOTE]

It will be appreciated kind sir

I'll be checking this thread at 9am central time. lol

Damn, some of those TIV's for Blockbuster are solid, I have a feeling the employees would look at me funny if I asked about trading in though, if it weren't for this thread I would have no idea they even do that...

[quote name='kouleefoh']Prepare to be disappointed. It'll be Friday ya'll.[/QUOTE]

To me its worth a look at least. It's right by the pharmacy where I gotta pick up my grandmothers medicine tommorow so I got nothing to loose

[quote name='strait edge follower']To me its worth a look at least. It's right by the pharmacy where I gotta pick up my grandmothers medicine tommorow so I got nothing to loose[/QUOTE]

I'm imagining you mixing up the bags and you getting the pills and her playing your Splatterhouse and Bulletstorm :lol:

[quote name='RealDeals']I'm imagining you mixing up the bags and you getting the pills and her playing your Splatterhouse and Bulletstorm :lol:[/QUOTE]

She will look at the bulletstorm package and say "kill your dick ?" In Spanish lmao

[quote name='kouleefoh']Prepare to be disappointed. It'll be Friday ya'll.[/QUOTE]
Don't say that.:bomb: I want it to start tomorrow because I don't wanna have to compete with the other flippers and the stupid soccer moms come Friday.:cry: This is about the only time being unemployed and reselling stuff to make money comes in handy, since I can be there bright and early to 'grab all dem shitz' before anyone else.:evil:;)
And there's LOTS of dem shitz at my closest store too.:whee:

haha don't worry, I say that but i'll be there tomorrow at 10am to check too. Even though they confirmed with me that it's Friday. =P.. I don't think you guys have anything to worry about, there's no flyer, signs or anything of this supposedly huge "black friday" type sale. Kinda sad that employees don't really care about advertising.

Damn, I wont be able to get in on this gold mine. I've done a lot of research and got a spread sheet of several avail games via goog shopping but i'll be in lala lego land with the fam.

Anybody else have some Open house going on this weekend at Blockbuster Nov. 19 and 20th?

they're having MW3 tourney, movie trivia, giveaways, lower prices on rental and previously played purchases.

bread's done
Back