The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IronZombie']Oh wow.. I'm thinking of someone else then :shock: my bad carry on.

I guess I'm just getting nervous because there are a couple of these out of towners in my area as well that seem to just rape the store if I don't get there quick enough and on Friday I'm in class until 2pm so hopefully there's something still there.[/QUOTE]

lol well, just keep bumping the thread....over and over and over...it'll help a bunch

[quote name='HakaHina']I also just put 5 games on hold as well at my local BBV (in Denver)

Dragon Age II
Mindjack
Ratchet - Crack in Time
Darksiders
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions

I know that darksiders and ratchet are $10, but couldn't find anything else worthwhile that I don't already have.[/QUOTE]

Crack in time is worth $15. I thought it was the best of the PS3 titles so far minus All4One (haven't played/demoed that one) Definitely don't let the $10 price tag fool you if you can't find another $15 title.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mispriced is GOOD, since it'll keep the vultures away thinking that the games don't qualify for the sale.;)[/QUOTE]

Yes but then I have to go through and check the prices here. If the selection was better I might try. Bulletstorm and da2 seemed like the only decent ones.

[quote name='Althax']Yes but then I have to go through and check the prices here. If the selection was better I might try. Bulletstorm and da2 seemed like the only decent ones.[/QUOTE]
It's really NOT that hard to check prices. Just take up titles you're interested in to the register at the store and have them price checked. If they come up as qualifying for the sale, then you have your answer.

Either that or learn to keep up with this thread and you'll know about all of the drops and what qualifies and what doesn't and won't have to even have stuff price checked since then you'll know.

Yeah I may go back and look again. I was just bummed bc I really wanted AC Brotherhood and they didnt have it.

You could also use Google Shopping, as that is fairly accurate and does list prices. Just search by name of the title you want with the word Blockbuster after it and it should pop up results for you.

My local BBV has a ton of games (my spread sheet has about 50 titles) so I'm excited. Also didn't get a clear answer on when the sale stars... sigh. Def going to be looking here at 9am for the east coast reports. Might also stop in again on Thursday night and just see if the employee on staff knows. Need to go back through my spreadsheet though to update some nuked TIV's apparently.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']My local BBV has a ton of games (my spread sheet has about 50 titles) so I'm excited. Also didn't get a clear answer on when the sale stars... sigh. Def going to be looking here at 9am for the east coast reports. Might also stop in again on Thursday night and just see if the employee on staff knows. Need to go back through my spreadsheet though to update some nuked TIV's apparently.[/QUOTE]
Me too. It sucks, since some of the values dropped by as much as $5 a game now.:cry: But so long as my backup places to send em to hold up I'll be ok with not getting as much BB credit as I would've prior, since those backup places are trades for CASH.;)

i have 5 on hold at my local store

All PS3

Dragon Age 2
A.C. Brotherhood
Haze
WWE 2011
Dead Space 2 L.E.

Saw Epic Mick. for Wii but heard so many bad reviews.

Saw Just Cause 2 but was labeled for 19.99

there was a flyer in the store that said the 19th, but the manager at the store said the thought it was friday

[quote name='StealOfADeal']i have 5 on hold at my local store

All PS3

Dragon Age 2
A.C. Brotherhood
Haze
WWE 2011
Dead Space 2 L.E.

Saw Epic Mick. for Wii but heard so many bad reviews.

Saw Just Cause 2 but was labeled for 19.99

there was a flyer in the store that said the 19th, but the manager at the store said the thought it was friday[/QUOTE]

Epic Mickey was actually a solid title. It was just overhyped and didn't live up to greatness everyone expected. Definately a good title for a wii game though.

Just got back from my local store. The lady on duty knew there was a sale, wasn't sure on the price. But she was confident that it starts on friday. I asked about the weekends activities and she says yes those too, but the sale starts on friday.

I'm going with Friday.

[quote name='rawrker']Epic Mickey was actually a solid title. It was just overhyped and didn't live up to greatness everyone expected. Definately a good title for a wii game though.[/QUOTE]

I may drop 'haze' then and get it for me & my g/f, thanks!

[quote name='wizeguy']Just got back from my local store. The lady on duty knew there was a sale, wasn't sure on the price. But she was confident that it starts on friday. I asked about the weekends activities and she says yes those too, but the sale starts on friday.

I'm going with Friday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me as well, I got nothing to lose!

Also I wonder if new titles will drop as usual on sunday?

wtf?!

It is complete and utter bullshit that they are allowing people to reserve games. Wow, that takes the only fairness left out the scenario. Now there's no way that I'll be able pick up any games to actually play. Now scummy resellers have completely taken over blockbuster.

If blockbuster weren't a fucking mess, I'd complain to corporate until all these reserves were cancelled.

[quote name='donut']lol well, just keep bumping the thread....over and over and over...it'll help a bunch[/QUOTE]

Was that your attempt at sarcasm there buddy? Because last time I checked I wasn't the only one posting in here. This thread is consistently on the front page when sales like this go on. #-o

[quote name='PublikDefender']wtf?!

It is complete and utter bullshit that they are allowing people to reserve games. Wow, that takes the only fairness left out the scenario. Now there's no way that I'll be able pick up any games to actually play. Now scummy resellers have completely taken over blockbuster.

If blockbuster weren't a fucking mess, I'd complain to corporate until all these reserves were cancelled.[/QUOTE]
You mean like the last 2-3 BOGO sales where I barely ended up with ANY games because fuckwads came in and raped the place dry? Yeah. That's why I don't care that I've reserved a good number of games, since that'll kinda make up for when I missed out the last two times.

I'm just trying to get some games to flip and some games to play. The ones I intend to flip will more than pay for the ones I'll keep to play(and then flip once done with them).

[quote name='PublikDefender']wtf?!

If blockbuster weren't a fucking mess, I'd complain to corporate until all these reserves were cancelled.[/QUOTE]

Nothings stopping you from doing the same. And unlike IATCG, I'm reserving my games not for flipping purposes but for playing.

[quote name='HakaHina']Nothings stopping you from doing the same. And unlike IATCG, I'm reserving my games not for flipping purposes but for playing.[/QUOTE]
Actually more than a few I reserved are either gonna be played by me or I may get em buffed n resealed n give em to my buddies' nieces for Christmas.;)

[quote name='herpderp118']google shopping shows a low stock of everything

bad sign...[/QUOTE]

I think 'low stock' means less than 5, or something. It doesn't mean 1 though.

Haze is terrible, even at $6. Do not buy!

[quote name='StealOfADeal']I may drop 'haze' then and get it for me & my g/f, thanks!

Yeah, me as well, I got nothing to lose!

Also I wonder if new titles will drop as usual on sunday?[/QUOTE]

is there anyway to search google shopper to pull up all available games at a blockbuster or do i have to search each single title one by one?

Someone already hit my blockbusters with pulls for the sale. Really nothing I wanted bad but still found 3.

If anyone sees a Dead Rising 2 on ps3, and wants to do a CAG a solid, I can paypal them and well work something out.

[quote name='HakaHina']Nothings stopping you from doing the same. And unlike IATCG, I'm reserving my games not for flipping purposes but for playing.[/QUOTE]
actually, nearby stores are stopping me from doing the same. This leads me to believe that individual employees do whatever they want due to poor corporate management. They hoard crap for themselves and have separate policies for people they know and don't know. The net result is that the customers get screwed over while cags act like it is one big party. So of course I am pissed off.

I accept that I can go into a store during a sale and battle hoarders (resellers). That is fair.

Managers and employees screwing over customers by hoarding things for themselves and their friends/familes before the sale even begins is not fair.

[quote name='PublikDefender']actually, nearby stores are stopping me from doing the same. This leads me to believe that individual employees do whatever they want due to poor corporate management. They hoard crap for themselves and have separate policies for people they know and don't know. The net result is that the customers get screwed over while cags act like it is one big party. So of course I am pissed off.

I accept that I can go into a store during a sale and battle hoarders (resellers). That is fair.

Managers and employees screwing over customers by hoarding things for themselves and their friends/familes before the sale even begins is not fair.[/QUOTE]
Lemme ask you something. Do you shop at Blockbuster even when there isn't a BOGO or other sale going on? Are you a 'demanding' customer? I think the reason that the manager in my case decided to let me put stuff on the side for myself(and to flip to recoup my expenses for all of the games I'm buying) is because he ALWAYS sees me in there, even when there isn't a sale going on.

Whether it's trading in games towards store credit to use on the next sale or checking out what they have out for rent I'm a customer who's always coming in to see what they have and what kinda deals they're offering.

Yet I imagine that the people whining about 'omg hoarders' and crying foul over games being reserved are probably only customers of BBV when there's a sale and they're rude/ignorant to the employees at large. The employees don't OWE you anything and the games are not "yours" until you go in and buy them.

That's why even if an employee had put out the games I put aside, I wouldn't really be mad, since I plan on being there at 10am on Friday anyway to grab everything I already had them hold for me. So first things first I'll go to the used section to make sure the ones I have held aren't out there and if they are then I'll grab them all again and take them to the counter.

Which is the better choice in gameplay, mafia 2 or bulletstorm? Just trying to pick a 3rd to go with ac:brotherhood and da2...

[quote name='Althax']Which is the better choice in gameplay, mafia 2 or bulletstorm? Just trying to pick a 3rd to go with ac:brotherhood and da2...[/QUOTE]

Bulletstorm gameplay wise was good, not great just good, but the off the wall, Over the top humor made it a blast.

I have 2 blockbusters near me with brotherhood available. 1 will let me hold till tomorrow but another has spiderman sd as well but wont hold.

Guess im putting 3 on hold at the one (da2,ac:bro,mafia2) and hitting the other store at 10am to hopefully grab da2,ac:bro,spiderman:sd,mafia2, and another, probably bulletstorm. Ill just call and cancel the hold if I get my prefetred deal.

I'm def getting brotherhood tomorrow though and below the 20$ price I've been waiting for.

[quote name='Althax']Which is the better choice in gameplay, mafia 2 or bulletstorm? Just trying to pick a 3rd to go with ac:brotherhood and da2...[/QUOTE]

Is da2 Dragon Age 2? Cause THAT game was horrible.

[quote name='thedragon']I'm starting to hope blockbuster goes completely out of business just to end the madness that these sales cause on CAG[/QUOTE]

You have bad opinions. :lol:

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Is da2 Dragon Age 2? Cause THAT game was horrible.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, and no its not. It's very different from origins, which I liked better than 2, but its not a horrible game. Its rpg purists who hated how they dumbed it down and reused the same dungeons.

I bought it on release, played through it and traded it on goozex for an early release token which is now keeping me in 9th place for skyrim. I know what im getting on that one and I liked it enough to rebuy at less than 10$ and call it an excellent deal.

[quote name='Althax']I have 2 blockbusters near me with brotherhood available. 1 will let me hold till tomorrow but another has spiderman sd as well but wont hold.

Guess im putting 3 on hold at the one (da2,ac:bro,mafia2) and hitting the other store at 10am to hopefully grab da2,ac:bro,spiderman:sd,mafia2, and another, probably bulletstorm. Ill just call and cancel the hold if I get my prefetred deal.

I'm def getting brotherhood tomorrow though and below the 20$ price I've been waiting for.[/QUOTE]

Where in california? Im gona be pissed if ur near me

Central California couple hours north of la

Oh and ill be there at 10 so anything I have on hold that I dont buy will be open by 10:30.

[quote name='Althax']Yes it is, and no its not. It's very different from origins, which I liked better than 2, but its not a horrible game. Its rpg purists who hated how they dumbed it down and reused the same dungeons.

I bought it on release, played through it and traded it on goozex for an early release token which is now keeping me in 9th place for skyrim. I know what im getting on that one and I liked it enough to rebuy at less than 10$ and call it an excellent deal.[/QUOTE]

I bought it too knowing it was different from the first one but I couldn't get more than an hour into it. One of the most boring games I've ever played.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I bought it too knowing it was different from the first one but I couldn't get more than an hour into it. One of the most boring games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

To each his own. I can see why some might not like it bc the story is so much narrower in scope being centered on a single city and the story doesn't have the same impact as a blight invasion.

But I still enjoyed it quite a bit

Yeah I think im the only CAG in the area. At least I've never seen a post or heard a conversion to make me think otherwise. We have at least 4 BBV in town probably more but the 3 I've been to had terrible selections.

Wish portal 2 or mvc3 were under that 15$ price.

Bulletstorm
Dead Rising 2
Epic Mickey

Not bad for $20, but I found out that my local (1 mile away) Blockbuster is finally closing in December. I feel fortunate that my local store remained open as long as it did.

as expected the deals start tomorrow. we got notice to take down all the old signage when we close tonight but they havent sent us any new signage to reflect the new deals that are starting.

still dont know if its an auto barcode or not. i'll be able to report first thing tomorrow morning whether it is or isnt as i'm gonna buy a few things for myself.

Does anyone happen to know the TIV for DeBlob 2 for xbox? I called my local store, but the match they found wasn't exact. I was going to trade it in towards tomorrow's deal. Can't wait!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']as expected the deals start tomorrow. we got notice to take down all the old signage when we close tonight but they havent sent us any new signage to reflect the new deals that are starting.

still dont know if its an auto barcode or not. i'll be able to report first thing tomorrow morning whether it is or isnt as i'm gonna buy a few things for myself.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are the man... Looking forward to your update tomorrow. Plan on hitting one of the local BBVs at ~10-10:30am on my way home from work tomorrow, lets all hope for no barcodes...all automatic!

@hawaiiboy, thanks so much for the update:). Tomorrow will be fun. I'm looking forward to picking up games to play and maybe a few blu-rays.

bread's done
Back