The Civil War Comic Book Discussion Thread

i got a subscription for x-mas and the first one arrived packaged like a wizard mag. it was all bent and stuff. you could tell the mail man just threw it in his bag. ive been trying to get a hold of marvel about it. anyone else have this problem?

Just picked up issue #7.....Hmmmm, it was cool. The inkers really messed up some of those last pages, though. McNiven NEEDS to keep the same inker he's been using this whole time.

it was good. i liked it. i dont know how i feel yet about my fav guy CAP just surrendering, though. i dont think IRONMAN should have come out smelling like roses. he was a real a-hole through this whole thing. SPIDEY in black? hell yea! i think my favorite part was seeing that john romita jr is doing HULK, thats awesome!!!! they should show the rosters of all the super teams and which state theyre in. i hope SHE-HULK is here in indiana. i got a thing for green chicks who are 7 feet tall.

"Captain France" is hella apt, that's for sure. The sooner Civil War gets retconned out of existance, the better.

I really loved the end of CW. It was the most appropriate ending they could have come up with so every still looks like heroes. I also think Tony came out looking less assholish by the end of the issue. Though I completely saw the end of ASM. It still was sad, though I hope the character will be okay.

I hated the ending to CW. Very anticlimactic and I personally hate Tony and Reed right now so I am very upset at it. The last few pages of epilogue really pissed me off, except for the Spidey part.

[quote name='Matrix2k3']I hated the ending to CW. Very anticlimactic and I personally hate Tony and Reed right now so I am very upset at it. The last few pages of epilogue really pissed me off, except for the Spidey part.[/QUOTE]Yeah, Spidey laying beats down was pretty good. And I can wait for a while until Hulk gets back and, well...you know.

I feel kind of let down by the whole Civil War Arc. Maybe with all of the delays, my anticapation grew to unrealistic expecations. It seems like it just ended with nothing major coming out of it, except for a rift between some major characters. The Initiative and other new titles will need to kick ass for me to think the whole story was worth it.

[quote name='vrs1650']I feel kind of let down by the whole Civil War Arc. Maybe with all of the delays, my anticapation grew to unrealistic expecations. It seems like it just ended with nothing major coming out of it, except for a rift between some major characters. The Initiative and other new titles will need to kick ass for me to think the whole story was worth it.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm sure the Initiative will have everything going just great with the superhero draft. It's such a great idea in the first place, what could possibly go wrong with it?

ive got every issue of planet hulk. i hope he get gets back to earth soon to kick everybodys ass. and he can y'know. jonh romita jr was born to do hulk, his style totally fits it. to each his own spotednigel. i like civil war. i like having my two favs cap and ironman going at it. the spirit of america up against the corporate big wigs y'know.

[quote name='IronMan2020']ive got every issue of planet hulk. i hope he get gets back to earth soon to kick everybodys ass. and he can y'know. jonh romita jr was born to do hulk, his style totally fits it. to each his own spotednigel. i like civil war. i like having my two favs cap and ironman going at it. the spirit of america up against the corporate big wigs y'know.[/QUOTE]And the corporate big wigs won. That's ass-lame.

Here's to hoping that World War Hulk is going to be the big reset button for Civil War. I wasn't too impressed with the premise to begin with so I wasn't too shocked when Millar failed to deliver with the conclusion. Word is that Cap was originally supposed to die which makes a lot of sense considering the direction the comic was going and the references in this ASM implied. Not saying that I want Cap dead, but it would have made the whole thing more poignant.

I'd be more upset with the death in ASM if the character hadn't been bought back before through the lamest of retcons.

Civil War was dissappointing. 52 was the bright spot this week. DC's one year later was great, but lost steam. I'm looking forward to countdown.

Brave and Bold was meh.

I liked the ending to Civil War myself. It was one of those endings that just had to be that way. I mean you really couldn't have Iron Man killing Captain America because that's just something a character can't come back from and then we'd have to really lose 2 characters. Could you really look at Iron Man as a hero ever again if he had killed Captain America? Sure he's a smug prick right now having "won" the civil war but there could come a day where he could come back to being the Iron Man we used to like. If he killed Captain America, that just wouldn't be possible. Look at the Thor clone, as soon as he killed a hero he had to go, plain and simple. Unless they turned him into a villain there's no way a character that killed a fellow hero on purpose could be kept around. Now you couldn't really have another character killing Captain America cause it would just seem lame as hell if Taskmaster just shot him in the back or some stupid shit like that (I mentioned him specifically because as I read the issue I knew there was no way they would kill Reed in such a lame way with such a low-level villain). If anyone was going to take down Captain America it HAD to be Iron Man.

Sure it would have really put a huge exclamation point on Civil War if Captain America had died fighting the good fight but they would have had to bring him back because he's one of their staples and then that would just lessen the death anyway. Look at Superman's death. Now, I'm not saying Captain America is quite the same level as Superman but he's pretty damn close in Marvel.

Now as far as the end of Amazing Spider-man, that's a character that's been on their way out the door for a while now...

[quote name='IronMan2020']any one reading illuminati? this book kicks ass[/QUOTE]

Only 2 issues in and I'm liking it. Infinity Gauntlet FTW!

if cap died i would be SO pissed. he's always been one of my 2 favs. his book is FINALLY worth something and if he would have died...boy i sound like geek dont I? youre right that we would lose him and ironman if it came to that they would have to bring him back sometime if they did. there is so much resurrection going on in books nowadays that it just wouldnt mean anything. we've seen cap die in earth x and re-hashing that would be sucky-ucky. if he did die the winter soldier could take his place...nah.

illumanati has really got me hooked.

didnt aunt may die like eight years ago?? it is time for someone close to peter parker to die. he's defined by tragedy and heroism. his character has to have that balance.

i dont read much DC. i really like that new shazam miniseries. i love justice but thats only because i worship the brush of alex ross.

[quote name='IronMan2020']if cap died i would be SO pissed. he's always been one of my 2 favs. his book is FINALLY worth something and if he would have died...boy i sound like geek dont I? youre right that we would lose him and ironman if it came to that they would have to bring him back sometime if they did. there is so much resurrection going on in books nowadays that it just wouldnt mean anything. we've seen cap die in earth x and re-hashing that would be sucky-ucky. if he did die the winter soldier could take his place...nah.

illumanati has really got me hooked.

didnt aunt may die like eight years ago?? it is time for someone close to peter parker to die. he's defined by tragedy and heroism. his character has to have that balance.

i dont read much DC. i really like that new shazam miniseries. i love justice but thats only because i worship the brush of alex ross.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is, had Iron Man killed Captain America they could have always done a lame-ass resurrection of Captain America but there would be no way to un-do what Iron Man had done and therefore that stigma would stay with him forever. Then again they could always do some dumbass shit where it was really a clone that killed Iron Man or some stupid shit like that but that would have really made things worse.

I never cared much for Captain America before, he seemed almost too hero-y with absolutely no flaws so I never really bothered to read any of his stuff. Now that Civil War is over I'm kind of starting to like him more. I ended up picking up the trade paper of the Winter Soldier storyline with my comics yesterday to see if I like his non-Civil War stuff.

Aunt May has indeed died before, it was in Amazing Spider-man 400 of old age which actually kicked off the Clone Saga. It was a pretty good story too, as the clone saga was too initially. May was ultimately brought back in 441 when the newly resurrected Norman Osborn revealed that the May who died in issue 400 was actually a 'genetically-altered' actress while he had the real May in captivity. Oh the clone saga did not end well at all.

the invicible iron-clone. catchy. cap's book is good. its very tom clancy cloak and danger stuff.

the aunt may who deid was a clone??? my god.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I never cared much for Captain America before, he seemed almost too hero-y with absolutely no flaws so I never really bothered to read any of his stuff. Now that Civil War is over I'm kind of starting to like him more. I ended up picking up the trade paper of the Winter Soldier storyline with my comics yesterday to see if I like his non-Civil War stuff.[/quote]

I personally find Ed Brubraker's Captain America to be one of the most compelling comic books out there. 24 issues so far and pretty much every storyline has been stellar. It's definitely one of those comics I really look forward to every month, like Astonishing, Fables, Runaways and Teen Titans. I'd suggest everyone try giving the current Cap series a try if they haven't already.

[quote name='karsh']I personally find Ed Brubraker's Captain America to be one of the most compelling comic books out there. 24 issues so far and pretty much every storyline has been stellar. It's definitely one of those comics I really look forward to every month, like Astonishing, Fables, Runaways and Teen Titans. I'd suggest everyone try giving the current Cap series a try if they haven't already.[/QUOTE]

I've actually read some of the recent Captain America issues because of the Civil War tie-ins and I am somewhat impressed with those even though Cap isn't even really the emphasis of the stories.

i have a big gap in my cap collection and never got to read the winter soldier arc. i keep hearing its good so i guess i'll get the TPB ,too.

[quote name='IronMan2020']the invicible iron-clone. catchy. cap's book is good. its very tom clancy cloak and danger stuff.

the aunt may who deid was a clone??? my god.[/quote]
No, not a clone; a 'genetically altered actress' which is almost worse since it barely makes even comic sense

Due July 2007:

New event pairs Super Heroes with the Robots in Disguise

Marvel and IDW team up for new action smash-up!

Just announced! Marvel's NEW AVENGERS will be meeting up with HASBRO's TRANSFORMERS in a new comic event sure to capture the imagination and hearts of new and old action fans alike. More news is coming in daily, but the broad strokes have Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine matched up with the AUTOBOTS and DECEPTICONS! It's sure to be cover-to-cover suspense and action, and anyone could tell you to expect MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE...

Stay tuned for more information, including a quick interview with IDW's own Chris Ryall."

To read the original news click here.

Sounds awesome!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Due July 2007:

Sounds awesome![/quote]

Sounds like crap to me, reminds me of those crappy GIJoe/Transformers comics from years past.

UHH...t-formers and new avengers...do they really have to promote the movie like that? i dont think they have to promote the t-formers movie at all. everyone will see it. EVERYONE. they should use the JLA with the t-formers, they could have a big invisible robot that turns into wonder womans jet. the t-formers have a decent book though, infiltration was good even though i never finished reading it.

TRANSFORMERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AVENGERS ROLLOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain America and Optimus Prime would be a good team though. Well...maybe not.

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

i just saw the commercial for the new FF movie. i looks good but i know it will suck. all comic movies suck. they all look great, the effects i mean, but they all suck. the first FF, the punisher, superman, daredevil, hulk, x-men, batman. i hate them all. havent seen ghost rider so ill reserve judgement.

they always screw up the stories and the characters and dumb it down for people how dont know the characters.

sin city is the only one worth a shit. i love that one. its the only comic book movie that really stuck to the story and the characters.

here, let me vent..........I HATE YOUR GUTS AVI ARAD, YOU SUCK BALLS!!!!!!! you know ironman will suck so bad ill have to change my name.

dont get me started with the spiderman movies. i could go on all day.

[quote name='IronMan2020']:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

i just saw the commercial for the new FF movie. i looks good but i know it will suck. all comic movies suck. they all look great, the effects i mean, but they all suck. the first FF, the punisher, superman, daredevil, hulk, x-men, batman. i hate them all. havent seen ghost rider so ill reserve judgement.

sin city is the only one worth a shit. i love that one. its the only comic book movie that really stuck to the story and the characters.

dont get me started with the spiderman movies. i could go on all day.[/QUOTE]

No please, I want to hear what you think of the Spider-man movies. For a character that has almost 50 years of history behind him, I think Raimi did an amazing job in 2 hours. I thought the first two X-men movies were perfect as well. I could see your problem with DD, Hulk and Punisher, but come on Batman Begins? Of course they have to simplify the plots with the characters, you couldn't have Spider-man 3 include Secret War could you?

As far as Civil War, glad to hear so many people liked it. I went in with low expectations and still thougth the book was crap, but pretty to look at. It was probably the most expensive 32 pages of ad for the other 40 books that are spinning out of it. Bring on Annihilation! Rocket Raccoon and Bug Hellz yeah! Bring on WWHulk! Countdown and WW3! And bring on Arcana. As far as New Avengers/Transformers ehh whatever, I wonder if Spider-man will remember meeting the Transformers>

See, I still have a lot of hope for the new Fantastic Four movie. I was genuinely entertained by the first one, because it got the two characters I actually love in FF (Ben and Johnny) absolutely PERFECT. And when you think about it, Reed was pretty much how he should have been; dull and too into science. My only problems with it were Sue, mostly because Jessica Alba is a horrid actress, and Doom, because they changed too many things about him. Considering the new movie, from the previews, looks to continue having the absolutely perfect Ben and Johnny, I am really looking forward to it. I mean, Johnny alone had two awesome lines in the two trailers I've seen so far.

This signature pic that I ganked from another board I go to explains everything about how I feel about CW. And yes, that comic is actually torn in half

[quote name='SpottedNigel']The GIJoe/Transformers WW2 comic was actually pretty good. The rest...not so much.[/quote]
Are you serious? That series had some of the most incomprehensible Jae Lee artwork I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. The series would have been much better with the initial concept of copra and the decepticons being with the Nazis and their opposite numbers vice versa.

I have some hope for this Transformers/Avengers if only for the fact it brings some more new blood into the creator pool. Furman certainly has had his heyday but he doesn't really need to be the sole author of the mythos

[quote name='IronMan2020']UHH...t-formers and new avengers...do they really have to promote the movie like that? i dont think they have to promote the t-formers movie at all. everyone will see it. EVERYONE. they should use the JLA with the t-formers, they could have a big invisible robot that turns into wonder womans jet. the t-formers have a decent book though, infiltration was good even though i never finished reading it.

TRANSFORMERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AVENGERS ROLLOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain America and Optimus Prime would be a good team though. Well...maybe not.[/quote]

Captain America... I need to you take the Autobot matix of leadership and transfer on the legacy of the Prime to the next...

*Cap looking at broken building*
Oh no, look at what we did. I quit.

ok lets see if i can keep this short...

doc ock was the first vilian spidey ever fought. in one of thier battles the father of peters girlfriend dies. later the green goblin kidnaps gwen stacy and in attempting to save her from a fall caused by the goblin, spidey accidentally kills her.

this story line is ESSENTIAL to the life of peter parker and the carreer of spiderman.

this should have been the first one and a half movies. if you attempt to tell the story, the RIGHT story of spiderman, that is how you tell it.

instead, they've mixed it all up. i dont care how they explain the origin of the symbiote, as long as that origin does not include gwen and her father.

the second movie should have been the first. it had to be.

he is a super-hero. he killed his lover. power. responsbility.

uncle ben is only a small part of the guilt peter feels. the man who raised him, his girlfriends dad, his best friends dad, his girlfriend. they all die on his watch. these people all have to be explored. but only in the right order.

if the funeral at the end of the first movie was for gwen, after you saw peter snap her neck, would have made people cry. just the iconic visual and the >snap< would've made people jump in their seats.

i kind of liked daredevil. i would have more if bullseye was in his costume. he even asked for it in the movie and it never happened.

i kind of liked the hulk. the director (ang lee, right?) said before he started filming that this was HIS hulk and not the hulk we know. i can live with that. i like how he used the absorbing man by the way.

the x-men...if the movie x-men were standing in a crowded street, how would you tell them from the people around them? you couldnt. there is a reason heroes wear the big bright suits. its like the opposite of camoflauge.

i think we all agree on why superman returns sucked.

how can you have a punisher movie without him killing someone at least every 4-5 minutes. a punisher moblie? come on.

the effects in all these movies are spectacular. but until peter david, alex ross, any of the great comic writers start directing movies they will all be wrong.

thats why sin city was so great. the director made a real attempt to be true to the story and characters. much like the lord of the rings trilogy. a real attempt to be true to the stories and characters of, like you said evilomar, stories and character that have been a part of pop culture for over fifty years.

The latest Front Line ruins Cap even more. He's going to hook up with Penance eventually. I just know it.

forgive me and my rants but i have lots of nothing to do sometimes

if someone did the book MARVELS with the same passion that was done with the rings trilogy and sin city, you could do any marvel character into a movie and not have to dumb it down. isnt it the marvel UNIVERSE? or is it spiderman, x-men, hulk, DD, punisher, FF all existing in their own worlds? i want something like that. why am not being consulted before a picture is green lighted? damn it. hmmm... perhaps ill start an anti-comic book movie thread.

i saw that FF preview again, the surfer looks awesome. it will suck but still be fun to watch.

yes CAP is looking more and more like CRAP not CAP. i hope beyond all hope that his book does not suffer like he is suffering. civil war was a great opportunity to get people to reexamine how they see CAP. i didnt think they would go this way way with it. frontline 11 was not great...bluuuuuughhhh

i like the conspiracy angle with ironman though. i was hoping he wouldnt come out of all this without a scratch

[quote name='IronMan2020']ok lets see if i can keep this short...

doc ock was the first vilian spidey ever fought. in one of thier battles the father of peters girlfriend dies. later the green goblin kidnaps gwen stacy and in attempting to save her from a fall caused by the goblin, spidey accidentally kills her.

this story line is ESSENTIAL to the life of peter parker and the carreer of spiderman.

this should have been the first one and a half movies. if you attempt to tell the story, the RIGHT story of spiderman, that is how you tell it.

instead, they've mixed it all up. i dont care how they explain the origin of the symbiote, as long as that origin does not include gwen and her father.

the second movie should have been the first. it had to be.

he is a super-hero. he killed his lover. power. responsbility.

uncle ben is only a small part of the guilt peter feels. the man who raised him, his girlfriends dad, his best friends dad, his girlfriend. they all die on his watch. these people all have to be explored. but only in the right order.

if the funeral at the end of the first movie was for gwen, after you saw peter snap her neck, would have made people cry. just the iconic visual and the >snap< would've made people jump in their seats.

[/QUOTE]

I can see what you are saying. I really agree to an extent, but you have to understand that it took 8 years in the comics for the whole Gwen Stacy story to develop. Spider-man killing (even by accident) his girlfriend would not have been a good idea for audience members that have no clue about the comics at least in the first movie.. It would be confusing and even turn off some people from seeing the movie.

Now, in the third movie is anything goes...because people that are going to see it are the ones that have seen the first two and now have a deeper understanding of the Spider-man character. So if he does end up accidently killing Gwen in the movie, do to Venom or Sandman, then the impact will be greater.

I have been reading X-men for over 20 years and I thought that Synger really captured the idea of what the X-men really are in his first two films. I could be picky and bitch that it wasn't the original team or their costumes were not the comic book costumes, or Stryker was really a crazy ass preacher in the comics, but I think that they threw enough in there for the comic fans as well. Like Wolverine saying bub or mentioning the black and yellow outfits.

Now Marvels would be amazing to see in the big screen. But I think it would be safer released as straight to DVD. I don't think audiences are ready for something like that. That would clash every classic super-hero from the silver age together in one screen. Even if Kurt Busiek was a consultant on the film. You never know what will bomb at the box office. These are the same people that let V for Vendetta (which I thought was superior to it's comic counterpart) bomb and let Jackass part 2 be the number one movie in America. They are in talks over a JLA movie and to be honest I think that will bomb if it ever gets made. Great for us comic fans, but unfortunately we make up a small fraction of the cinema audience.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Sin City though, that was the perfect comic book movie. It was like Rodriguez said F uck storyboards! Get me the comics! And it worked for those movies. Glad to hear you like Peter David so much. It would be great to have him write the next Hulk movie. In our second interview with him, we kind of talk about Holywood writers and comics. You can listen to it here:

http://aboutheroes.com/content/2007/02/about_heroes_episode_45.php

i hear ya man, but i think if people saw what REALLY happened to gwen in a movie they would say "what? that actually happened? i didnt know that." not "well that looks stupid im not seeing that." every one knows who spiderman is. not every one knows what it took to make spidey WHAT he is. wouldnt the true story give people a deeper understanding or have a greater impact?

how long did it take for the green goblin(original) saga to play out? they put that all into one film.

i think JLA would definitely work. do you know how many kids watch justice league? my 4 year old cant get enough(im sure i have alot to do with that, though).

all i want is someone to give it a shot. the comic forum translates to well to film for hollywood not to have the balls to try. i will never say these films arent entertaining and fun, just wrong. if they can spend 150 million on water world they can do it for... i dont know...doctor srange or green lantern or SOMETHING!

how long has there been a FF? they are THE most classic and iconic super heroes i can think of as far as super teams go. and hollywood has change every thing around? why? they made the thing look like sponge bob for christ sakes! the origin of this team is like gospel. its been unchanged for like 400 years. why f with it?

same for the x-men. dont be fooled by the "throw the fan boys a bone" dialouge. all im saying is if your going to introduce the world to the x-men dont start with x-men #1. start with UNCANNY x-men #1.

im not so sure about V for vendetta, though i love the film and the book, there is a reason alan moore took his name of the project. yes it could be that he is insane but its more than that.

by the way i love peter david. ive an old star trek TNG paperback by him that is too cool(even though it is a 'trek novel)

have you seen the trailer for WWHULK at marvel.com? he is gonna kick everybodys a$$. like namor said, "banner will come back from whence you send and he will kill you all! and he'll be right!" i just hope itll be a fun read. when was the last time marvel but anything out there that was fun? civil war was such a downer. illuminati is fun i guess, the last couple issues of new avengers
was too. those and hulk, thats about it. and jrjr is penciling!!!!!!

[quote name='IronMan2020']have you seen the trailer for WWHULK at marvel.com? he is gonna kick everybodys a$$. like namor said, "banner will come back from whence you send and he will kill you all! and he'll be right!" i just hope itll be a fun read. when was the last time marvel but anything out there that was fun? civil war was such a downer. illuminati is fun i guess, the last couple issues of new avengers
was too. those and hulk, thats about it.[/QUOTE]The problem is with the Iron Man movie coming out soon, they can't properly give him any comeuppance.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']So, any guesses on who the "Fallen Son" will be?[/quote]

I've got a sneaking suspicion
Cap is gonna die in this week's Captain America, or at least be wounded in a shooting. They've said something MAJOR happens in the next Captain America and the way the cover looks gives me a bad feeling. So I think Fallen Son might end up being about Cap if that's what happens this week. I've even heard rumors that Sharon is the one who shoots him.

[quote name='karsh']I've got a sneaking suspicion
Cap is gonna die in this week's Captain America, or at least be wounded in a shooting. They've said something MAJOR happens in the next Captain America and the way the cover looks gives me a bad feeling. So I think Fallen Son might end up being about Cap if that's what happens this week. I've even heard rumors that Sharon is the one who shoots him.
[/QUOTE]

Newsarama currently has a story up titled: CAP #25 MAKES NEW YORK DAILY NEWS - "Marvel promised a major event in today's Captain America #25, and the News reports it, before any comic shop can open." So I'm assuming your suspicion is correct.

CNN has it on their front page, to which I spat out my coffee and screamed

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR fuckING MINDS! I love how Marvel needs to fuck over characters they don't have the talent to write for and keep relevant. Pricks.

bread's done
Back