The Fandango Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TNA Slammiversary has it's moments where it felt like a good PPV. The women's match was far better than I was expecting. Angle vs Styles was very good. The opening X-Division match was fun. But on the other hand there was moments that reminded me that I'm watching the modern WCW. While yes the run ins on the main event was expected and given that Bubba Ra... I mean Bully Ray is the heel it makes sense still it's kinda annoying that his title run is going to go down much like Bobby Roode's run in that he'll have very little to no clean title defense wins.

Also anyone find it kind of annoying to have Hall Of Fame announcements done on PPV? Granted I've seen far worse things put on wrestling PPVs over the years and TNA is very guilty of this. But on the other hand they could of easily done the HOF announcement on Impact where at least more people will see it along with it not taking up precious time on PPV that people are PAYING for.

Okay rant over.

That Daniel Bryan - Ryback match on RAW was pretty damn good, thanks to DB.
The "Like" system isn't active yet, so I'll say I agree.

And I actually like this evolution of Ryback. Dropped that "Feed Me More" chant for something very Sid-Vicious-esque. Dude has personality now and it works.

WWE 13 ain't too bad either. WELCOME TO CAG 3.0

Daniel Bryan owned Raw and the crowd was completely behind him. According to the Smackdown spoilers, it looks like they're finally set to push him into the main event.

That Daniel Bryan - Ryback match on RAW was pretty damn good, thanks to DB.
The "Like" system isn't active yet, so I'll say I agree.

And I actually like this evolution of Ryback. Dropped that "Feed Me More" chant for something very Sid-Vicious-esque. Dude has personality now and it works.

WWE 13 ain't too bad either. WELCOME TO CAG 3.0

Just goes to show how bland most WWE babyfaces are.

To those that haven't already dropped it like a hummer driver, TNA's "Big Free Agent" signing is MMA fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. They found a way to disappoint 2 fanbases at once.

A preview of what's to come (via Bob Sapp):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfkBtnLCfr4

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been asked a lot about whether WWE has realized how great Daniel Bryan has looked in recent weeks on TV. The short answer to that is yes. Sources indicate that the reason Bryan has been given so much time is that he's in line for a big push over the course of the summer, including PPV main events.

So, if you are a Bryan fan, you look to be in luck. Directions always change but stay tuned.

So I found out that Bound for Glory will be in San Diego on Oct.20.  The cheapest ticket is $32 after the Ticketmaster fees.  I haven't watched an episode for Impact for at least a year but I'm still interested in going.  Should I go?  If so, this'll be my first live wrestling event.  Anything I should know beforehand?

So I found out that Bound for Glory will be in San Diego on Oct.20. The cheapest ticket is $32 after the Ticketmaster fees. I haven't watched an episode for Impact for at least a year but I'm still interested in going. Should I go? If so, this'll be my first live wrestling event. Anything I should know beforehand?
Since BFG uses a point system it might help (or turn you off in the long run) to watch the matches on TV. Since points matter, it should give you some background on all that had happened so far to end up at BFG.

$32 is pretty cheap for probably TNA's biggest PPV event. Sounds awesome.

I am Like-ing things.

Interesting note: WWE has been allowing comments on their videos since last week—and without moderation, which is something they've never done. Dunno why the sudden change of heart. In the past, only the now defunct Are You Serious series and their "behind the scenes" videos have had comments enabled, and that was with moderation.  WWE is now freeballing it.

JaytheGamefan said:
Axel winning VIA COUNT OUT is ridiculous. Either push the guy fully or don't - going halfway isn't working.
KaneRobot said:
Countouts and random match stoppages, that Curtis Axel sure is a threat.
581748_337029773093086_613453362_n.jpg

Pretty much.

Saying that I didn't like the way Axel was presented is equal to me expecting him to put Cena down in the middle with a Perfect-Plex is not even close. Don't let him win clean, heck, make it dirty as hell. Or make it a no contest due to a double countout or double DQ and raise the question of whether Cena can beat the guy. They are obviously skipping the whole slow build where he goes through lower card guys before moving up (since when has that ever worked, right?), so if he's being shoved into main events right out of the gate, don't present him like he doesn't belong there.

Don't have him win in a situation where his "victory" is a total afterthought to *more important* issues like that dastardly Ryback playing mind games with Cena or if Triple H will live to be able to play with his daughter when he goes home to his mansion. Axel was in a situation where it could have been literally any other heel and it would have played out the same.

I'm assuming at some point they'll get their shit together on promoting him since he is "well liked," but right now I'm about as confident in his continued ascent as I am that he'll have the same theme from week to week.

Don't have him win in a situation where his "victory" is a total afterthought to *more important* issues like that dastardly Ryback playing mind games with Cena or if Triple H will live to be able to play with his daughter when he goes home to his mansion. Axel was in a situation where it could have been literally any other heel and it would have played out the same.
From the Smackdown taping:
*Curtis Axel defeated Chris Jericho. CM Punk’s music started playing in the match and this distracted Jericho, allowing Axel to get the roll-up.

Match of the Day: 

Rey Cometa vs Namajague
CMLL on Televisa: 2013-05-04
taped 2013-04-26 @ Arena Mexico
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DZwDzIZzY

Regarding Axel, they're counting on the Paul Heyman brand to carry the guy.

If anyone's been watching Raw lately, Heyman has been on FIRE in the Agent role. He's been working his ass off to legitimize Axel and to some degree, it's catching. They can't have the guy simply walk into the company and beat HHH, Cena, and Jericho clean in his first three weeks and the reason is simple: Money.

There is more money in casting doubt about whether Axel can beat HHH, Cena, and Jericho clean (or dirty) and running the match on a PPV than there is in just giving it away on free TV. Do you want to see if Axel CAN beat HHH? Buy the PPV. 

Given they're moving the Axel/HHH match up from Summerslam to Payback, I'd say all hope is gone. Unless there's a decisive victory for Axel, they might as well just call it a day. Sigh.

Honestly, my biggest problem with the whole Curtis Axel thing, outside of the godawful name, is this 'branding' of the Paul Heyman Guy term. Lesnar and Punk were, yes, actual guys that Paul Heyman stood behind during their careers, whether on-camera or behind the scenes. This just feels... I don't know, like they needed something for Heyman to do until Lesnar and Punk got back. Maybe he really was a big booster for Hennig, but this just feels like standard-ass WWE marketing to me, which is making it not work for me. Just calling someone a Paul Heyman Guy doesn't instantly give him credibility, WWE.

Oh, and in regards to the post above? Yeah, I get it, but no... I'm not paying money to see if anyone can 'beat' HHH. No one beats HHH. NO ONE. Sure, some guys might get a little checkmark in the W column, but no one BEATS HHH. It's a waste of goddamn time to keep wishing and hoping that anyone will ever get a decisive, clean victory over the man ever again. It's not going to happen. For fuck's sake, they wouldn't even give that to the Undertaker, so I'm thinking that Joe Hennig probably doesn't have a shot at that brass ring, you know?

I do hope, though, that this is some sort of wake-up call to WWE about how much they've damaged some of these guys. I'm all for rebranding and repushing guys, but, look, that dude is still THE MOMENT OF THE GENESIS OF THE MOMENT OF McGillicutty to me. He's talented in the ring, sure, but you're telling me he's THE guy to deserve this push? And, yeah, the stupid name isn't helping.

JaytheGamefan said:
Axel winning VIA COUNT OUT is ridiculous. Either push the guy fully or don't - going halfway isn't working.
KaneRobot said:
Countouts and random match stoppages, that Curtis Axel sure is a threat.
581748_337029773093086_613453362_n.jpg

Pretty much.

Saying that I didn't like the way Axel was presented is equal to me expecting him to put Cena down in the middle with a Perfect-Plex is not even close. Don't let him win clean, heck, make it dirty as hell. Or make it a no contest due to a double countout or double DQ and raise the question of whether Cena can beat the guy. They are obviously skipping the whole slow build where he goes through lower card guys before moving up (since when has that ever worked, right?), so if he's being shoved into main events right out of the gate, don't present him like he doesn't belong there.

I'm assuming at some point they'll get their shit together on promoting him since he is "well liked," but right now I'm about as confident in his continued ascent as I am that he'll have the same theme from week to week.
Remember back in '02 when Lesnar first debuted at the bottom and slowly worked his way up the card until he finally beat The Rock for the title? I miss those days.

This Mikey Whipwreck push they're giving Axel isn't helping anybody.

Oh, and in regards to the post above? Yeah, I get it, but no... I'm not paying money to see if anyone can 'beat' HHH. No one beats HHH. NO ONE. Sure, some guys might get a little checkmark in the W column, but no one BEATS HHH. It's a waste of goddamn time to keep wishing and hoping that anyone will ever get a decisive, clean victory over the man ever again. It's not going to happen. For fuck's sake, they wouldn't even give that to the Undertaker, so I'm thinking that Joe Hennig probably doesn't have a shot at that brass ring, you know?

I do hope, though, that this is some sort of wake-up call to WWE about how much they've damaged some of these guys. I'm all for rebranding and repushing guys, but, look, that dude is still THE MOMENT OF THE GENESIS OF THE MOMENT OF McGillicutty to me. He's talented in the ring, sure, but you're telling me he's THE guy to deserve this push? And, yeah, the stupid name isn't helping.
Curtis ain't beating HHH, but he will "retire" Hunter when they run through that entire brain damage storyline. That's where this entire thing is headed.

The thing about HHH not putting anyone over isn't exactly true though. It might not FEEL that way, but Hunter has been more often on his back than getting the pin for the duration of the past three years. He lost at Wrestlemania to Undertaker two years in a row and lost to Brock Lesnar multiple times (getting his arm broken, losing at Summerslam, and losing at Extreme Rules). His only win I believe in two years was over Lesnar at Wrestlemania 29.

These losses over times are being used to legitimize other top tier guys in the company by association: Brock Lesnar, and by association Paul Heyman, and by further association Curtis Axel. If you don't like Axel, and don't think he's right for Heyman, that's a fair observation. However I have a difficult time accepting that Paul Heyman, age 47, would include anyone in his stable of guys (Brock Lesnar, Big Show, Kurt Angle, CM Punk) that he didn't believe in as it would dilute his brand, and more importantly, his legacy.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Heyman, at the end of the day, is a WWE employee. While I'm not saying that Heyman doesn't believe in Hennig, I'm just thinking that it may have been more of a joint WWE-Heyman decision. Or just a WWE decision. I mean, shit, you think that WWE honestly went to Heyman with a storyline for the next PHG and let him pick whoever he wanted? Hennig, as far as reports go, has also been tapped by HHH, so... yeah. Heyman may be behind him, but I don't believe it's the same situation as Punk, where Heyman was the only management guy in the company pulling for him.

Now, about the other thing... yes, HHH has *lost* matches recently. But I wouldn't honestly say anyone has *beaten* him. The losses he's taken were usually in a way that still put over HHH as the better man. That's the point I'm making. HHH is well past the point where he's going to do an honest-to-god, shoulders-down, clean-in-the-center-of-the-ring, no-cameras-on-him-as-he-exits loss. It's genuinely a little bizarre how much he still feels the need to protect his image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KcAmgvSHfaw#t=608s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8LGTAOhk4Iw#t=1021s

I don't know how you can say these aren't a "honest-to-god, shoulders-down, clean-in-the-center-of-the-ring" beat-down. I mean Hunter is still selling the beating he got from Lesnar over three weeks ago at this point. I don't understand the "no-cameras-on-him-as-he-exits loss" thing though because HHH is one of the top five draws in the company. 

You're basically suggesting that WWE treat HHH like Alex Riley, which from a business perspective doesn't add up. Especially since they've spent so many years worth of television and promotion building him up. The entire crux of what you're saying is basically centered on making HHH humble. It's a weird request.

It's like the character has been booked so strong, for so long, you're having trouble getting over the fact and accepting that he's not looked nearly as strong for two years now.

Make him humble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoMGHYKGo8

Card for tomorrows house show per BB&T Center's site. I'll be attending, seems like I've been to a lot of shows (and soccer matches) lately.
WWE Championship Tables Match: John Cena vs. Ryback
Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan and The Miz vs The Shield
R-Truth vs Fandango with Summer Rae
Tons of Funk vs Team Rhodes Scholars
Zach Ryder vs Antonio Cesaro

Seems pretty solid. I'll try to take some notes to send in a report after the show, if possible.

So I found out that Bound for Glory will be in San Diego on Oct.20. The cheapest ticket is $32 after the Ticketmaster fees. I haven't watched an episode for Impact for at least a year but I'm still interested in going. Should I go? If so, this'll be my first live wrestling event. Anything I should know beforehand?
Since BFG uses a point system it might help (or turn you off in the long run) to watch the matches on TV. Since points matter, it should give you some background on all that had happened so far to end up at BFG.

$32 is pretty cheap for probably TNA's biggest PPV event. Sounds awesome.
Thanks for the background on BFG. Guess i'll start watching TNA from tonight on.

You'll be able to pick up floor seats for cheap closer to the event.
Any more info on this or do I just watch Ticketmaster as the event gets closer?

Colt Cabana has Kevin Steen on his podcast this week. They have a pretty insightful discussion about what happened in ROH during Jim Cornette's tenure, why Colt left and hasn't been back. If you want to get right to the discussion you can start at about the 20:00 mark and it goes to about the 34:00 mark but there is still good discussion beyond that point. It's absolutely worth a listen.

http://tsmradio.com/coltcabana/

Hey, Zen Davis. Are you going to change your name back to Zen Davis since name changing is a feature of CAG 3.0?
Nah, I'll stick with neocisco.

I got a Bound For Glory ticket during the pre-sale on Wednesday. 6th row of the first section of risers(didn't want to pay what they charged for floors since I am also paying for SummerSlam in August)$60 before fees, $72 after.

Through the power of YouTube Recommendations, I watched my first Chris Benoit match since he killed his wife and son and then himself. It was his Super Brawl match with DDP. Benoit was my all-time favorite until he did what he did. Haven't been able to watch his work. Man, he was a great pro wrestler. I remember his matches with DDP, Raven, Saturn, and everyone in that sub-main-event tier in WCW.

I have always thought that WWE decided to make their ring style so weak to reduce the number of long-term injuries many pro wrestlers suffer from later in life. I dunno. Just a guess. 

But yeah, six years later and it's still a damn shame.

Zack Ryder has fallen so far off the radar that Jay didn't even include a screenshot of him not on his back.  :lol: Guess the reboot he was teasing on Youtube didn't fly with the head brass.

Bryan on his favorite opponent: 

“Despite him detaching my retina and giving me two concussions, I really liked working with (Takeshi) Morishima in ROH,” Bryan said. “But my favorite ROH rivalry was with Nigel McGuinness. Nigel was signed at the same time as me, but he had some shoulder and elbow stuff that didn’t clear WWE’s medical testing and now he’s out of the business altogether. It’s a loss because he’s great on interviews, in the ring, and really just a fun guy to be around.”

The Benoit murders truly broke kayfabe for me. I always knew that a lot of wrestlers were scumbags or genuinely nice people, their histories, etc. but I accepted any gossip or news about them the way I would about any celebrity. That whole thing just blew my mind though.

The Benoit murders truly broke kayfabe for me. I always knew that a lot of wrestlers were scumbags or genuinely nice people, their histories, etc. but I accepted any gossip or news about them the way I would about any celebrity. That whole thing just blew my mind though.
If my memory is correct, I recall bitching about Benoit being on the WWE ECW show before the murder-suicide. Afterwards, I took a break from everything pro wrestling for several months/maybe a year. True story: Also did that when they had Batista and Rey Jr. bring up Eddie Guerrero every single promo. That was too much.

Dunno if anyone cares about puro, but I try (keyword: try) to catch it when I can, which is pretty rare these days. So... Apparently Devitt turned heel and now leads a heel faction (Bullet Club).

http://i.imgur.com/Lp4OmzD.png

http://i.imgur.com/G023Nms.jpg

Bad-ass jacket. Somewhat Jericho-esque.

It's obviously irrelevant looking back, but I remember actually being pretty okay with Benoit being on WWECW. After the busts of trying to build the brand around Angle and Big Show, Benoit seemed to... fit. He was a star, but not a gigantic one (while talented, let's be fair about his actual star power), and the idea of him working with a lot of the younger guys like Punk and Morrison seemed like a really good fit. Truth be told, I think the whole Benoit situation is what ultimately kneecapped the whole endeavor... sure, it was already downhill, but then it had to survive on the back of Punk/Morrison match-ups. It sort of set the tone for the rest of WWECW, and I'll always wonder the 'what if?' of where it would have gone had we gotten a summer of Punk/Benoit matches instead. Maybe nowhere, but still.

I think the Benoit tragedy was also a little tougher because, for fans like us, we weren't just into his technical skills, but his story. The years of work, the years of toiling in WCW, the injuries, the being told he would never be 'the guy'. WM20 was such a fucking MOMENT. Him and Eddie in the ring was just... fuck it, I'll say it... it was beautiful. I was happy for them not as performers, but as people. I think that's what made the Benoit thing really hit home for me... for years, it felt like you were rooting for an actual guy, not a pro-wresting caricature. It's still hard to shake.

Just my take on it, six years later.

I can't wait until the match of the day is a battle royal between all the Zen Davis alt accounts.
Can somebody give me a summary of this whole situation? I've been on CAG for years, about as long as anyone, but l've been active here in the wrestling thread a little less. I'm guessing I missed the big blow up, but it isn't just that this guy makes bad posts right? I know it's weird that the guy is making mults, but if he's posting wrestling info I'm not getting what the problem is. Is there stuff going on behind the scenes that I'm missing?

I can't wait until the match of the day is a battle royal between all the Zen Davis alt accounts.
Can somebody give me a summary of this whole situation? I've been on CAG for years, about as long as anyone, but l've been active here in the wrestling thread a little less. I'm guessing I missed the big blow up, but it isn't just that this guy makes bad posts right? I know it's weird that the guy is making mults, but if he's posting wrestling info I'm not getting what the problem is. Is there stuff going on behind the scenes that I'm missing?
All I can say is make sure you read the dirtsheets at cagsofpain.net

It's obviously irrelevant looking back, but I remember actually being pretty okay with Benoit being on WWECW. After the busts of trying to build the brand around Angle and Big Show, Benoit seemed to... fit. He was a star, but not a gigantic one (while talented, let's be fair about his actual star power), and the idea of him working with a lot of the younger guys like Punk and Morrison seemed like a really good fit. Truth be told, I think the whole Benoit situation is what ultimately kneecapped the whole endeavor... sure, it was already downhill, but then it had to survive on the back of Punk/Morrison match-ups. It sort of set the tone for the rest of WWECW, and I'll always wonder the 'what if?' of where it would have gone had we gotten a summer of Punk/Benoit matches instead. Maybe nowhere, but still.

I think the Benoit tragedy was also a little tougher because, for fans like us, we weren't just into his technical skills, but his story. The years of work, the years of toiling in WCW, the injuries, the being told he would never be 'the guy'. WM20 was such a fucking MOMENT. Him and Eddie in the ring was just... fuck it, I'll say it... it was beautiful. I was happy for them not as performers, but as people. I think that's what made the Benoit thing really hit home for me... for years, it felt like you were rooting for an actual guy, not a pro-wresting caricature. It's still hard to shake.

Just my take on it, six years later.
Benoit got some great pops. He had a lot of star power.

I'm pretty into the idea of them extending the Curtis Axel bullshit win streak indefinitely.  Hell, throw the dates/names of who he has beaten on the back of a t-shirt (leaving out the DQ/Count Out part of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back