2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can grab some cheap pc games YMMV if you check clearance for your local area.

I managed to grab:

Farcry 4 0.97

MIght and Magic heroes 7 0.97

Anno 2205 0.97

Assassins Creed Synicate 1.97

Diablo 3 and expansion were both there also but I didnt have any in my area

When you work at GameStop you can borrow the games to play. It's so you know how to sell a game if you've played it. They do open those copies to let employees play but it is used at that point. They likely just make those used for sale. That or people bought it, played it, they can't return a game that they opened so they trade it.

Quick questions here. I wanted to trade in a game, but I only have an expired drivers license. Why do they even need the license in the first place? Also, will my expired one work if I want to trade in something?
Pawn laws in certain areas dictate when ID and possibly picture and/or fingerprint, are needed. Expired license won’t work, you will need to get a state ID (less cost than driver’s license) or have a family member w/ID do the trade.

When you work at GameStop you can borrow the games to play. It's so you know how to sell a game if you've played it. They do open those copies to let employees play but it is used at that point. They likely just make those used for sale. That or people bought it, played it, they can't return a game that they opened so they trade it.
Still sell them as new actually, they reseal them, you can only rent them for a small amount of time though, and only once per title.

This only works for pre-owned games. Employees are not allowed to check-out new games.

I traded in my OG 500GB XBox one for the XBox One X system. Associate let me return the system to get one of the bundled systems (NBA2K19). Although he did ask his manager if he could return/exchange and he had no issue with it. I would've went with the PUBG one, but they did not have one. I'm not complaining. They even let me keep the State of Decay code. 

AFAIK, it was corporate policy (maybe district policy?) unless they changed it after I quit in mid 2014.
Corporate policy allows new titles to be checked out but only 1 copy of a title at a time. So not everyone can play BO4 at once. Some districts or individual stores do not allow new games to be checked out because they still sell them as new and that is a bad perception. Their logic is that they sell new and PRE-OWNED. The game was played but never owned.

This only works for pre-owned games. Employees are not allowed to check-out new games.
Not when I worked there. I am sure that policies have changed since I worked there, it's been awhile, but when I did work there we'd sometimes have to gut about 7 copies of a new release game to put out display copies on the shelf when they wanted us to have a whole row of 6 for every new release in each section. These games would absolutely get checked out by employees and played and sold as new still, I was always against this as I fell it's extremely unethical.

I have a good friend who just left Gamestop about a year ago as well and he had told me that they were still able to check out new copies of games that were sold as new a year ago too. I just don't believe they gut nearly as many now and probably only let employees check out the gutted copy. Either way they sell them as new when they have been opened and played in many cases.

Not when I worked there. I am sure that policies have changed since I worked there, it's been awhile, but when I did work there we'd sometimes have to gut about 7 copies of a new release game to put out display copies on the shelf when they wanted us to have a whole row of 6 for every new release in each section. These games would absolutely get checked out by employees and played and sold as new still, I was always against this as I fell it's extremely unethical.

I have a good friend who just left Gamestop about a year ago as well and he had told me that they were still able to check out new copies of games that were sold as new a year ago too. I just don't believe they gut nearly as many now and probably only let employees check out the gutted copy. Either way they sell them as new when they have been opened and played in many cases.
From a business perspective, this makes more sense if GS wants their employees to be informed about the latest and greatest games the first two weeks of release. There should be very few used copies during this period of time.

On the other hand, GS corporate probably put this policy in place to make money off of their employees as well since everyone working at the gamestop plays games (i assume). Employees/store management ignoring corporate policy are really just wanting free game rentals...mr jrpg is renting persona to enjoy not “Dat 2k” to be informed.

As an aside, gutted games are part antitheft measure (less and less with the influx of collectibles) and mostly a convenient excuse to convert to used.

From a business perspective, this makes more sense if GS wants their employees to be informed about the latest and greatest games the first two weeks of release. There should be very few used copies during this period of time.

On the other hand, GS corporate probably put this policy in place to make money off of their employees as well since everyone working at the gamestop plays games (i assume). Employees/store management ignoring corporate policy are really just wanting free game rentals...mr jrpg is renting persona to enjoy not “Dat 2k” to be informed.
This is exactly what happens. Most Gamestop employees are gamers, the ones that aren't are typically in management positions and don't take advantage of the ability to play most games because they only like a handful of sports games or shooters. I definitely have known some employees who had little to no product knowledge and would never in a million years take the time to play something like Dragon Quest or Yakuza.

Gamestop should honestly work out deals with the publishers to get at least one copy of each new release for the employees to check out and play. Once the employees are done with it they can either keep it in a library or use it to motivate employees by running a contest for pre-orders or something where the winner gets to keep a game or something. I know most would say they should sell it used, but when they are sent something for free like that, I don't believe they could legally just sell it.

So, question for switch owners. (I don't have one just yet)

How are the PowerA controllers?  That Diablo one is slick.  I assume it's not up to the quality of the Nintendo Pro, but curious if I should pre-order one for my future console purchase.

So, question for switch owners. (I don't have one just yet)

How are the PowerA controllers? That Diablo one is slick. I assume it's not up to the quality of the Nintendo Pro, but curious if I should pre-order one for my future console purchase.
The first of these new wireless controllers (I think the Zelda one) just came out a few days ago. So there might not be a whole lot of folks on here with experience with them. There are a few youtube videos up about them though. They look ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owd57VBLqnM&t=442s

That is how I got JC3 the day after it released used a couple years ago. Store manager had it played some and didn't like it. Can't recall what codes it came with but they were still good. Was basically brand new. Haven't been able to do that again though. Usually have to wait a week or more to get a new release used around here. At least the ones I am interested in anyway.

WTF....
So I tried to buy the Smash Ultimate Special Edition online

I forgot to update my credit card when I placed the order and went back to fix/adjust it in my order history and was only allowed to Cancel it.

So I canceled the game and tried to re-order it.
I am now being told that I have exceeded the amount of times I can order the produce and my quantity has been adjusted accordingly.

(Canceling my attempt to re-order)

So, I called Gamestop's help/customer service line only for the worker to tell me, after 20minutes of them looking into things and talking to co-workers, they can't do anything on their end... I have to go to a store to order the item..

This is rather.. inconvenient.

thanks for the heads up on the Diablo switch.  I think I'm going to grab it as I've been waiting for an LE plus I hadn't gotten around to playing Diablo since the 90's on a PC.  Nice that there is a bonus case, just too bad Diablo is not a physical copy.

On Saturday my store’s customer lookup was down, so my $100 purchase didn’t register for the PUR points. Am I out of luck, or can I do something about that?

thanks for the heads up on the Diablo switch. I think I'm going to grab it as I've been waiting for an LE plus I hadn't gotten around to playing Diablo since the 90's on a PC. Nice that there is a bonus case, just too bad Diablo is not a physical copy.
I think you'll love Diablo 3 :D It had a bumpy start, but really hit its stride after the expansion. Being able to play it on a portable will be really nice, too! I do wish there was more than just a couple images on the dock / switch, but it's not a bad deal for someone just jumping in.

On Saturday my store’s customer lookup was down, so my $100 purchase didn’t register for the PUR points. Am I out of luck, or can I do something about that?
You can call CS with receipt info and have them add it manually. I've had a store offer to have me come back in later and they would call for me so that could be an option too.

Definitely interested to see how it goes
I'm thinking of trading in my XBox One S in the next few days for the promotion. Stupid question, but If I attempt the Fallout bundle, will the system kick it out automatically as not being able to get the $250 trade-in?

I'm thinking of trading in my XBox One S in the next few days for the promotion. Stupid question, but If I attempt the Fallout bundle, will the system kick it out automatically as not being able to get the $250 trade-in?
The promotion only applies to the original Xbox One X.

Yeah, that's what I assumed but wasn't sure if it was possible to pick up another bundle if the original XBox One was not in stock in the store. Thanks!
Promo doesnt work unless the a vanilla Xbox One X is added, or a manager overrides. So it's possible if the store is OOS, but it's a YMMV.

I managed to have another store swap me out for the white X fairly easily. Walked out with a code for SoD and Fallout 😎
I'll be sure to leave a good review for the stores.

I noticed some people are thinking about trading up to a One X with this current promotion. If anyone receiving a SoD 2 code wants to trade it for a PUBG one, just message me. I got one when I did the One X upgrade at the end of August.

Update: code has been traded away

Most likely a stolen copy that's what my Gamestop manager says if theres a used copy for a big game within 3 days its 90% chance stolen
That explains the location of them on the map. They're usually in higher crime areas.

Also, has Gamestop started selling retro in store again? The stores by me that had them said they were all told to send them back a few months ago. Now, I'm seeing Gamecube games show up as available in some stores on the website locator.

Any employees caught wind of a trade promo coming for Red Dead or just a percentage bump promo?  I piled up a stack of games to take today, and know as soon as I do a promo will popup. ;)

Yeah I'm hoping for at the very least a 20% extra trade in bonus! Just gotta pay off $40 for my Ultimate Edition (Steelbook for the win)

The way things have been going... I'm starting to think their whole trade promo strategy has changed, and they will be focusing on these dumb "pay $20 less promos" and give up on the percentage bump. They'll probably make them as seldom as B2G1 promos have become. 

SO I guess the Robot White Elite controller isn't releasing today?  I see date changed to 10/30 this morning.

Had one pre-ordered....guess there's more time to wait on a good promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back