The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

My BBV gave me a Soul Calibur 4 framed art because I asked about it and they figured it'd alright since I'm such a "good customer."

I felt kind of guilty since I haven't spent a single dollar in that store aside from credit.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']ok about the contest for syphon filter, sorry that I haven't posted anything the past few days, I lost me internets for the weekend, f*cking SBC. But all is well now. So far I got 13 people in.

I'll do it tomorrow so if anyone wants in last call, post:imwithst: so I know you want in.[/quote]

:whistle2:s.........:whistle2:?

:imwithst: lol

What iz this aboutz?

lol I like the movie in teh avatar, what the girl's name? Mido or something like that?

Fipped a disc-only One Piece. I tried to trade And Then There Were none, but it wasn't in the system so I kept it. It's going to Ebay. Payed for Force Unleashed & also bought a complete deluxe box set Magna Carta from GS for $25. It will probably go back to the store unless a CAG wants it for cost+shipping.

Trade in prices held for Luxor, Bust A Move & Legend of Dragon for today at least. True test will be tomorrow morning I guess.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Fipped a disc-only One Piece. I tried to trade And Then There Were none, but it wasn't in the system so I kept it. It's going to Ebay. Payed for Force Unleashed & also bought a complete deluxe box set Magna Carta from GS for $25. It will probably go back to the store unless a CAG wants it for cost+shipping.[/QUOTE]

Does BBV accept disc-only games? I'm guessing it's a YMMV thing. I know GS usually has no problem accepting them, but I thought BBV was much more strict.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']ok about the contest for syphon filter, sorry that I haven't posted anything the past few days, I lost me internets for the weekend, f*cking SBC. But all is well now. So far I got 13 people in.

I'll do it tomorrow so if anyone wants in last call, post:imwithst: so I know you want in.[/QUOTE]

:imwithst:

Looks like someone picked clean the GS stores around me. :(

use WMP11...

you cant record tv directly onto the xbox...you record tv using vista (and whatever else you need) and THEN stream it to the 360 when you want to watch it....

if you have media sharing setup through wmp11 then there is really no good reason to have movies/pics/vids/etc on your actual 360's hard drive...you can stream music from the pc to the 360 while you are playing games just like if the music was already on the xbox's hard drive

your PC needs a tv tuner card to record tv....not your tv

i dont know if you can set a pic on the pc as a background...but i do know you can put the picture on a flash drive and then use it as a back ground

After getting my BB account restored I was able to do some flips today and converted $138.57 (GS) -> $243 (BBV). While at one store I also scored 2 Wavebirds and the girl ringing me up was confused about the 25% coupon and gave me the discount on the Wavebirds as well. Ended up getting them for $12.14/ea.:applause: First time I had seen any Wavebirds in stock in this area.

I'll probably wait until Labor Day weekend to see if there's going to be another B1G1 sale at BBV to convert credit back to GS. There were more copies I could've flipped but I'm not going to press my luck at this point doing multiples since I just got my account back in good standing (for now).

While I'm at it...:imwithst:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='animemaniac14']but the game shoould be all that matters getting anyway :whistle2:D

and just checked..TIV of Bug Island is still $20![/QUOTE]

[quote name='DanteMayCry']Trade in prices held for Luxor, Bust A Move & Legend of Dragon for today at least. True test will be tomorrow morning I guess.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - trade-in values from today don't really tell us anything. It is tomorrow (and Tues) that counts. So, with that in mind, Bust A Move, Code Lyoko, and Legend of the Dragon were all as expected today for me as well.

I hit up 3 Gamestops and managed 4 flippable games total from all 3 (the 3 I mentioned above plus a second copy of Legend of the Dragon). I also got Endless Ocean for $17.54, Battalion Wars 2 for $16.24, and Dewey's Adventure for $9.74 - all mint/complete. I probably would have held off on the first two at that price if I wasn't swimming in GS credit from the perfect storm. But heck, if I think of those first two as coming from the credit I got via a Power Rangers + Golden Compass combo then they are dirt cheap ;).

The thing is, these were all games I would have got for sure at my old Gamerush when they first came out if they still had the $30 preorder deal so it was nice to get them so much cheaper.

I also cleaned up some of my GS preorders from the perfect storm. I canceled the one Madden I preordered using the 50% coupon (actually switched it to Last Remnant but only put $5 down so I got $54.99 back on my card). And I picked up my Fable Pub Games code from the other store in the Mall. They were so busy they didn't even check on my preorder - just threw the card at me ;). That makes up somewhat for the fact that I had to wait in line for 30 minutes while a bunch of morons decided to trade in multiple Xbox/PS2/GameBoys during one of the busiest shopping times in recent memory (mall was packed for some reason today).

[quote name='BigErn']After getting my BB account restored I was able to do some flips today and converted $138.57 (GS) -> $243 (BBV). While at one store I also scored 2 Wavebirds and the girl ringing me up was confused about the 25% coupon and gave me the discount on the Wavebirds as well. Ended up getting them for $12.14/ea.:applause: First time I had seen any Wavebirds in stock in this area.[/quote]

That's pretty sweet. I finally found a used wavebird in perfect condition, then I go over the games to see what they have which took 2 minutes at most. I turn around to pick up the controller and it's gone. I friggin hate shopping on Fridays after the kids get out of school.

Just got back from my trip to GS and BB with mere minutes before closing at GS. I've traded in about eight or so games at my local BB and they are starting to ask questions. I think my answer of having a little brother who goes through lots of his games very quickly is starting to wear thin. Anyways traded a luxor and bust a move to BB and I got 46 plus the extra 20% for putting $5 on little big planet. So after about $25 at GS (DAMN THEM AND THEIR TAX!) I got $55.20 at BB.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Just got back from my trip to GS and BB with mere minutes before closing at GS. I've traded in about eight or so games at my local BB and they are starting to ask questions. I think my answer of having a little brother who goes through lots of his games very quickly is starting to wear thin. Anyways traded a luxor and bust a move to BB and I got 46 plus the extra 20% for putting $5 on little big planet. So after about $25 at GS (DAMN THEM AND THEIR TAX!) I got $55.20 at BB.[/quote]

wait, so you got an extra 20% TIV at GR/BB? Is that a local/franchise thing? Never heard of any pre-order bonuses at GR/BB. . .

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Anyways traded a luxor and bust a move to BB and I got 46 plus the extra 20% for putting $5 on little big planet.[/QUOTE]

Wait a sec. I think you (or someone else) mentioned this before, but is this just a local store thing? I haven't seen anything about this. I just traded $57 worth of stuff in and would definitely have thrown down a preorder if it meant I could get an extra 20%.

[quote name='io']Wait a sec. I think you (or someone else) mentioned this before, but is this just a local store thing? I haven't seen anything about this. I just traded $57 worth of stuff in and would definitely have thrown down a preorder if it meant I could get an extra 20%.[/quote]
Yeah I posted the text of the coupon a few pages back. basically they have in big words at the bottom that it can only be used at the BB that I go to. I haven't seen it at any other BB I've been to in my area. Some employees only make you put down 5, and some make you put all the trade value towards the reservation. The coupon does state that it has to be put all towards reservation. I should also mention there's no barcode.

I just tried to trade at my closest BBV, but the girl told me all 5 games scanned $0.00. I was surprised, since I traded in 2 of the games at another BBV like 10minutes ago w/ no problems. These games were Cranium Kabooki, Chicken Little, etc...in any case, I went to a 3rd BBV, and traded those in fine(they did not come up $0.00)...could it be because I'm banned at that one store?

On another note, the first BBV I went to told me I can't get the credit on a giftcard, has to be on a value card...then I asked him if I could buy a giftcard with $ that's on the value card, he said no. The third BBV gave me my store credit on a Giftcard with no problems.

Has anyone tried this before? Trying to buy Giftcards with Valuecards? I hate how I can't check the value card balances online...that's pretty much the only reason...oh yeah, and how these value cards expire after 24 months of non-use, which is kinda hard to keep track of.

Thats a nice trick many people don't know about. If you do more separate trade transactions at the same store reserve different games just to take advantage of the preorder bonus. You can later cancel all those games to reserve 1 that you really want. Only negative is that you cant transfer your preorder to different stores. So you must do all your trade ins at one store to get maximum value unless you want preorder different games (aka spending more money/not saving credit...)

What exactly does a value card look like? Because I think I've been getting giftcards all this time since they just pull one off the rack on the counter ;)

The value cards they get from a little box (look like box of business cards)...and on the front it's got the Blockbuster logo, and underneath it says "Value Card".

[quote name='cheapskate01']Thats a nice trick many people don't know about. If you do more separate trade transactions at the same store reserve different games just to take advantage of the preorder bonus. You can later cancel all those games to reserve 1 that you really want. Only negative is that you cant transfer your preorder to different stores. So you must do all your trade ins at one store to get maximum value unless you want preorder different games (aka spending more money/not saving credit...)[/quote]
The thing is that I like the games I pre order. Besides I have $125 at Gamestop that I'm in no rush to move to BB. So far I've gotten Fallout 3, soul calibur, gears of war 2, and now little big planet all from doing this. I prefer this than to just building up a never ending pile of credit.

[quote name='yuy104']The value cards they get from a little box (look like box of business cards)...and on the front it's got the Blockbuster logo, and underneath it says "Value Card".[/quote]

Ah, well, I guess I got lucky then. Is there much of a reason for them not to use GCs, are Value cards really flimsy or something?

[quote name='Link927']Ah, well, I guess I got lucky then. Is there much of a reason for them not to use GCs, are Value cards really flimsy or something?[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between them, but it generally doesn't matter with the way Blockbuster handles (or, really, fails to handle) the sales tax issue. Gamestop has the "Edge" card and then regular gift cards too. The Edge card can only hold trade-in credit and then when you purchase something using it you do not get charged sales tax. If you use a gift card you do. When you return something to GS they have to put the credit on a gift card and cannot use your Edge card. Blockbuster should be the same way with the Value card vs a regular gift card. So it really shouldn't matter if you want your credit on a gift card because that would be taxable (so it shouldn't matter to them, that is). The Value card should have the advantage of being tax-free for purchases but they are too screwed up to implement that properly.

[quote name='io']There's a difference between them, but it generally doesn't matter with the way Blockbuster handles (or, really, fails to handle) the sales tax issue. Gamestop has the "Edge" card and then regular gift cards too. The Edge card can only hold trade-in credit and then when you purchase something using it you do not get charged sales tax. If you use a gift card you do. When you return something to GS they have to put the credit on a gift card and cannot use your Edge card. Blockbuster should be the same way with the Value card vs a regular gift card. So it really shouldn't matter if you want your credit on a gift card because that would be taxable (so it shouldn't matter to them, that is). The Value card should have the advantage of being tax-free for purchases but they are too screwed up to implement that properly.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Thanks Master Obi....er...io ;) I guess the only thing is that it seems like you got this card as a gift then...if thats really an "advantage"

[quote name='Quintox']Wait, so you get 20% more TIV for a reserve at GR???[/quote]
No. First of all it's only at a single place in my area. Second, it's a BB. I think it's a manager's idea to boost trade ins. I've never seen it at a single other BB in my area.

What io said may very well be the correct policy on Edge/Value Card vs. Gift Cards, but from my experience (of owning two BBV gift cards, two Gamestop gift cards, one Value Card, and five Edge cards) it doesn't really make a difference because employees ring things up however they choose.

Every Gamestop and Blockbuster in my area within 30 miles taxes on all of these cards and treats all of the cards like gift cards. In fact, my Blockbusters even ask me to choose the "Gift Card" option on the credit machine when purchasing something.

[quote name='Link927']Ah, I see. Thanks Master Obi....er...io ;) I guess the only thing is that it seems like you got this card as a gift then...if thats really an "advantage"[/quote]

Gift cards can be used online, value cards cant.

With the $10 off $10 coupon at BBO, I wish value cards worked online.

[quote name='GuardianE']
Every Gamestop and Blockbuster in my area within 30 miles taxes on all of these cards and treats all of the cards like gift cards. In fact, my Blockbusters even ask me to choose the "Gift Card" option on the credit machine when purchasing something.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is only the "gift card" option on the machines BB uses - that's part of the problem they have in treating them the correct way. They don't treat them any differently than gift cards, though they should.

As for the Edge card - from my experience they don't have a choice. When I was purchasing things in Tucson they were quoting me totals with tax, but when I used my Edge card I paid less (no sales tax). The clerks had nothing to do with it. It may be different in CA though.

[quote name='Bezerker']Gift cards can be used online, value cards cant.

With the $10 off $10 coupon at BBO, I wish value cards worked online.[/QUOTE]

Indeed - I forgot that one major difference. Of course, I've never ever had a reason to even consider buying anything online with BB ;).

I know this should go in it's own thread but I have to get this off my chest. It's only blockbuster related for purpose of looking for stuff to flip but there is a certain gamestop in New Jersey that has a lot of signs in their windows stating.....
BUY 2 GET 1 FREE ON ALL USED GAMES!!!
When i just drove by the were obviously closed, and I won't get there til tomorrow evening.
It's a new store that is always empty when i go there, so i guess they are in need of some business. I'll be taking my perfect storm credit there tomorrow.
New Gamestop in New Jersey. Let the lurchers figure it out.

Question:

I'm trying to play Madden with Matt Young. Its umpossible.
We keep inviting each other to private chats, but they aren't working.
We both tested chats with other people, and they work.
AND we can both play Madden with other people.
Help?

TIVs:

Legend of the Dragon - $11
Bust a Move Bash - $23
Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge - $23
Escape from Bug Island - $20
Code Lyoko Quest for Intinity - $23
Cranium Kabooki - $16

I just popped in to my local Blockbuster and noticed that since yesterday they repriced a lot of the "clearance" games and now many are $5 more. WTF!? E.g., Boom Blox was $44.99, CoD4 (360) was $54.99, Grid $54.99, etc...

On the flip side I noticed Professor Layton and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have dropped to $24.99 (new, that is).

Note also that they had Kranium Kabookii priced $16.99 used - so I'd expect that $16 trade-in value to drop considerably tomorrow.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Question:

I'm trying to play Madden with Matt Young. Its umpossible.
We keep inviting each other to private chats, but they aren't working.
We both tested chats with other people, and they work.
AND we can both play Madden with other people.
Help?[/quote]If both of your NAT settings are OPEN then there should be no problem. Both of you should test your XBL connections and see what it says next to the NAT (bottom) test.

[quote name='io']On the flip side I noticed Professor Layton and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have dropped to $24.99.
[/quote]

I was at a store today that I haven't been to in quite some time and I saw Layton marked at $19.99. Now, I didn't actually inquire or have anybody check it, but it could very well ring up at $19.99. I've owned, beaten it, and traded it away, so I wasn't interested.

okay I picked a winner for the contest.

winner:
ink.so.well

pm me or I'll pm you

I'll probably pick another name for beats it was 1:16 odds, and now 1:15.

I been Putting Full-Priced Pre Orders @ BBV So Far And Only thing I ever heard was
"hey man, do you know you can pre-order movies and blue-rays now ?"

So Far
Too Human, Killzone II, Little Big Planet, Gears Of War 2, Infinite undiscovery

I asked about the tax thing too, there reply "were not sellling it to you , where buying from you."

Always

[quote name='io']I just popped in to my local Blockbuster and noticed that since yesterday they repriced a lot of the "clearance" games and now many are $5 more. WTF!? E.g., Boom Blox was $44.99, CoD4 (360) was $54.99, Grid $54.99, etc...
I know, I also bought 3 blu ray movies: The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, and The Lost Boys for 19.99 each. Now they are all 24.99 each. And the free movie passes in the mummy blu rays expire this week too. They should be marking them down instead of up. Actually, most all of the new blu ray releases have been marked up 5 more dollars.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337'][quote name='io']I just popped in to my local Blockbuster and noticed that since yesterday they repriced a lot of the "clearance" games and now many are $5 more. WTF!? E.g., Boom Blox was $44.99, CoD4 (360) was $54.99, Grid $54.99, etc...
I know, I also bought 3 blu ray movies: The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, and The Lost Boys for 19.99 each. Now they are all 24.99 each. And the free movie passes in the mummy blu rays expire this week too. They should be marking them down instead of up. Actually, most all of the new blu ray releases have been marked up 5 more dollars.

free movie passes?

I recently got an elite system, it's a Falcon with 175W PSU and the PSU makes this horrible high pitch sound (like your ears are ringing) when the system is off. It's very annoying I have to unplug the system when I'm not using it. It doesn't do it while its on, only when powered down. Is this normal? Has anyone here ever experienced this? If so, are there any solutions? Will M$ replace my PSU if I give em a call?

Another issue I'm having with my old 360 this time is that the 20GB hard-drive on it suddenly became extremely loud a couple weeks ago. It makes very loud accessing noise and makes it constantly, only when playing a game from a disc though. It doesn't do it when watching movies or playing XBLA games. Any ideas on this too?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

My Falcon Elite doesn't make any abnormal sounds like that....get the stuff replaced by calling MS. I dunno if they replace hard drives but I imagine if it's busted they might.

I'd replace it. If a power supply does anything odd (aside from maybe a electrical burning smell when it's breaking in, but that's main PC PSUs) don't keep it and risk a fire or something like that.

Speaking of hard drives, they discontinued the 20GB, so why hasn't the new price for the 120GB gone into effect yet? It's supposed to go from like $180 down to $150.

Strange about Boom Blox, I bought a copy yesterday and it rang up at $39.99. Was it past midnight est when you went IO?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']

free movie passes?[/quote]

The mummy movies have passes to Mummy and the Emperor or Boredom. I think they should have a MIR where you make money, that'd be the only way I'd recommend the movie to someone.

I tried trading in Luxor's Pharoahs Challenge for the Ds yesterday and got quoted a measly 10.00 for it.

Also whats the deal on the Wii sweepstakes. Can i use Store credit to get a entry for it? I picked up madden last week and wasn't sure If my entry counted at all. Can i get entries from using a Value or gift card. Lady from blockbuster told me No only cash purchases count.

bread's done
Back