The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

I just got back into flipping and have a couple of questions:

Does BB always charge you tax on your purchases, even if you use a gift card? Gamestop does not charge me tax when i purchase something with credit from them. Is blockbuster charging tax on my purchase of used games using credit always happen or does it depend on your area?

Another question. I only have 1 gamerush BB in my area & they don't have many used games & hardly any that are flippable back to GS (none anymore since I got the 3 that were). Are there any other options to get money back to GS or turn it to cash so i can continue to flip?

Also, I have been to BB to trade in games the past 2 Saturday mornings and the only person working is a store manager. I have chatted with him both times and he seems cool. He doesn't ask any questions when I have traded in some crap games or anything either. Is it wise to keep going at the same time when the manager is working or should I start going at a different time & avoid managers? It seems like a lot of people are getting banned and I wouldn't want that to happen just yet. Or is it good that the manager knows me? Is it good to make friends with the manager or to trade with the same employee each time?

Here are some TIVs from today:

NBA 2k8 (360) - $12
Cabela's Trophy Bucks (360) - $19
Hail to the Chimp (360) - $22
The Darkness (PS3) - $11
WSOP 2008 (PS3) - $20

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone use to flip at BB years back when they first started opening the gamerush stores and had a lot of promotions going? They had a trade in any 2 games and get any used game for $10 deal that was really sweet. This was back in the ps2 & xbox days, but you could trade in ps1 games & still use the deal.

I remember I would buy ps1 games & cheap ps2 games from GS then trade like 10 in at a time to BB & get 5 new $40-$45 used games for $10 each. I would wait a week or so & play them some then trade the games & get around $30-35 each for them. I did this for a while at the GameRush near my house then had so much credit & wanted to buy a halo xbox. They had them in stock at a different gamerush farther away so i went there and decided to trade in some crappy games while i was there(big mistake). This total ***** lady employee didn't like what I was doing. She called the other store I traded at & asked them about my trading history. She got my account banned, which was my mother's since i was under 18 at the time. I could have made so much money if I never went to that other store since I knew the guy at the other one & he didn't mind that I was abusing the system.

Sorry for the long story, just wanted to see if anyone else remembers those days.

Well, I'm completely out of luck. The Blockbusters around me are completely bone dry. There are barely anymore used Wii, 360 or PS3 games for me to flip back to GS. The ones that are left, for some reason, don't ring up at the price everyone around here is buying them for.

Lost Planet at BBV costs $14.99 just in case some of you were wondering. Someone posted a list of games that are transferable to GS and had Lost Planet at $9.99.

And last thing. While I was buying games at BB today I heard the manager talk and they are going to convert some rental copies to used copies. The only game I heard him say was Guitar Hero III. Maybe there are other stores doing this too.

I think I'm going to sit out on the flipping thing until I can move my BB credit over to GS or a phenomenal flip comes along.

[quote name='ultramanJ']From what I've been reading it's pretty understandable that BB is looking into your accounts considering a vast number of you are bragging about having hundreds of dollars in credit. I've been told in the past by a BB employee that BB views credit as a loss for the store. If you're carrying hundreds of dollars in credit on your account (and maybe even the cards) then I'm sure it's raising a red flag. I think this whole banning has less to do with multiple titles being traded (although I'm sure that's part of the problem with some of you trading in over 10 copies of a single game in a district), and more to do with the massive amounts of credit you're carrying.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you keep large amounts of credit and don't spend it I really can't see them thinking that is a problem. After all, you may never use it, you may lose it, whatever. I would think they would have a much bigger issue with people that flip crappy games and then buy all the Wiis and Wii Fits - all those new items that they have very small margins on and would otherwise get cash for from normal customers. They are losing tons that way. Most of my purchasing (90% or more) has been all their crappy used games that were mostly ex-rentals (to flip to GS) and the rest is on new games I preorder. So in that respect I'm not actually costing them much even when I trade games that end up dropping in value soon after (Octomania, Rock Band).

[quote name='cdeener']
How did we find out that the magic number for trade credit on an account is $10,000? Since I can't seem to find it exactly in the thread.[/QUOTE]

Well, Capa mentioned it recently but it had come up about a year or so ago when we had a Blockbuster employee giving us info (who then got fired). He said in his district they did a review of people with over $10,000 in trades and banned them all. This was in the Detroit area if I remember correctly. That guy is still a CAG but doesn't seem to be involved with this thread any more. If this limit moved up to corporate then that is big news. It still could be something enforced selectively in certain districts at the behest of the DM (but conducted by corporate). Otherwise people like kunai would have been banned long ago (unless it just started recently and he is banned from BB ;)).

[quote name='Lethal04']
Does BB always charge you tax on your purchases, even if you use a gift card? Gamestop does not charge me tax when i purchase something with credit from them. Is blockbuster charging tax on my purchase of used games using credit always happen or does it depend on your area?

Another question. I only have 1 gamerush BB in my area & they don't have many used games & hardly any that are flippable back to GS (none anymore since I got the 3 that were). Are there any other options to get money back to GS or turn it to cash so i can continue to flip?
[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster always charges sales tax. In some areas, they give you the sales tax % in extra credit on trade-ins to make up for it. People that live in those areas are lucky because you make even more that way. Since you are generally going to spend less on the game to trade in you actually make a profit off the sales tax. But this practice varies by state. I know when I'm in the DC area I try to stick to the Virginia BBV's because they give the extra sales tax credit while ones in MD don't.

As for your bemoaning a lack of Gamerush stores near you, well, tough luck! I haven't been in an actual Gamerush store in a year and a half. With regular stores now carrying a decent selection of new games and pretty much all of them having the same converted rentals that make up most of the BB -> GS flip list in post 2, you shouldn't have any trouble finding decent stuff at regular stores. "Gamerush" is almost an afterthought at this point...

[quote name='io']

As for your bemoaning a lack of Gamerush stores near you, well, tough luck! I haven't been in an actual Gamerush store in a year and a half. With regular stores now carrying a decent selection of new games and pretty much all of them having the same converted rentals that make up most of the BB -> GS flip list in post 2, you shouldn't have any trouble finding decent stuff at regular stores. "Gamerush" is almost an afterthought at this point...[/quote]

I haven't been in a regular blockbuster in a couple of years so I didn't know they sold used games too. I will check out one down the street & see what they have in stock. You can only trade in games at Gamerush stores though, correct?

[quote name='Lethal04']I haven't been in a regular blockbuster in a couple of years so I didn't know they sold used games too. I will check out one down the street & see what they have in stock. You can only trade in games at Gamerush stores though, correct?[/QUOTE]

READ THE FIRST POST!

[quote name='io']READ THE FIRST POST![/quote]

what do you know, that actually answered my question. thanks, i can save some time & gas now. when i used to flip only gamerush stores took in trades.

io, speaking of kunai he hasn't posted in a while I wonder if he is enjoying his room full of games if he indeed did get banned from trading to Blockbuster.

Luckily, for me I only have about 4000 in total trades on the main account used to trade-in stuff to them (Over the span of the time I've been on CAG). Funny thing, is its an account I am on with my girlfriend so I'm not the primary account holder. Sad thing is once I move into the first house I'm buying next month I won't have a Blockbuster or Gamerush within 10 miles of me so I will probably use this last couple of weeks to flip then I'm done plus all of my gaming funds will be going towards items for the house.

[quote name='cdeener']io, speaking of kunai he hasn't posted in a while I wonder if he is enjoying his room full of games if he indeed did get banned from trading to Blockbuster.

[/quote]

He got banned from CAG. :(

BB TIV
Victorious Boxers: Revolution (Wii) $30
High School Musical (Wii) $26
Target Terror (Wii) $23

GS TIV (w/ Edge and Bonus)
Rockstar Table Tennis (360) $7.20
Spider-man: Friend or Foe (360) $10.50
Enchanted Arms (360) $10.50
Star Trek Legacy (360) $10.50

Got some penny guides: Video Game Careers and Paid to Play (both Prima) at GS today. They seem to be the same, but for a penny, who cares?

[quote name='ChuckFuXVI']BB TIV
Victorious Boxers: Revolution (Wii) $30
High School Musical (Wii) $36
Target Terror (Wii) $23

GS TIV (w/ Edge and Bonus)
Rockstar Table Tennis (360) $7.20
Spider-man: Friend or Foe (360) $10.50
Enchanted Arms (360) $10.50
Star Trek Legacy (360) $10.50

Got some penny guides: Video Game Careers and Paid to Play at GS today. They seem to be the same, but for a penny, who cares?[/quote]

isnt high school musical 26

[quote name='ChuckFuXVI']whoops, yeah. and it was embarrassing trading it in.[/quote]

lol, yeah they had it in stock at my GS but I saw the cover and just couldn't do it. i would have to buy it & then trade it in, explaining once would be bad enough haha.

Was at Target last weekend. Saw that they had a note up not to take those $5 off $25 toys coupons with 10/1 expiration date b/c of fraud. Thanks a lot Kunai!

TIV 9/27 at BBV

Samurai Warriors Katana (Wii) - $30
One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Wii) - $23
Alone in the Dark (360) - $28.50
Code Lyoko (Wii) - $20
Sea Monsters (Wii) - $23

Then did a lot of BBV --> GS flipping. Includes all bonuses and Edge
Golden Compass (360) - $7.75
Elebits (Wii) - $10.50
Nights (wii) -$12.70

Stupid clerk hit me with $2 refurb fee on Elebits for some reason, looked great to me when I checked before I traded in, but considering I don't want to get on their bad side I didn't say anything.

Oh, and on my trip to buy Samurai Warriors, Sea Monsters, and One Piece, manager (at diff. GS) did the math and said doing B2G1 saves me more than using the 20%...I hope he was right, anyway he was nice and tried doing the 20% of as well but didn't work (duh).

[quote name='DrNo888']Was at Target last weekend. Saw that they had a note up not to take those $5 off $25 toys coupons with 10/1 expiration date b/c of fraud. Thanks a lot Kunai![/quote]

Yeah, that wasn't Kunai. Kunai would wipe his ass with a $5 off $25 coupon, that deal wasn't that good. It is unfortunate they banned him because he was probably the single greatest contributor to the thread (other than IO). He answered tons of my PMs, n00b posts, and other things. No need for the sarcasm.

May have to start cutting down. Traded in Bust a Move, Big Game Hunters and One Piece ($20,$20,$23) but got asked if I was buying these cheaper at Gamestop. I told him they were my little brother's but fortunately he said he didn't care unless I wasn't trading in Rock Band because he was getting killed on those since no one was buying or renting them.

Woohoo.
My wifes account was still good at local store. Was able to dump a few Wii games I got last night. Will try one other with hers tomorrow.
Noticed on the Store/DM Manager signs that the DM here is the same as the one up by work. Gottfried Fischer.
I guess I'll end up having to chat with him soon.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Yeah, that wasn't Kunai. Kunai would wipe his ass with a $5 off $25 coupon, that deal wasn't that good. It is unfortunate they banned him because he was probably the single greatest contributor to the thread (other than IO). He answered tons of my PMs, n00b posts, and other things. No need for the sarcasm.[/quote]

Then why was he banned ?

[quote name='io']READ THE FIRST POST![/quote]

The first post states "I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores."

This is news to me, so I just called the non-gamerush blockbuster near my house and they said they DO NOT accept trade ins. Does this employee not know what she is talking about or is the first post wrong?

first post is not wrong since i have never had any gamerushes in my area and all blockbusters that i have been to accept trades. i only know of 1 bb out of my area that don't accept trades so i think its safe to say most bb take in trades

[quote name='Lethal04']The first post states "I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores."

This is news to me, so I just called the non-gamerush blockbuster near my house and they said they DO NOT accept trade ins. Does this employee not know what she is talking about or is the first post wrong?[/quote]

again it could be they dont know what they are talking about or it could be a franchised store which have different tivs and i assume can refuse to trade in.

Here in Virginia, BB 's in VA Beach and Norfolk take trades, but Chesapeake stores don't. I was told it has to do with city pawn shop laws. hmmmm...

Great head high waves today. Pretty clean. Take that West coasters:D

BBVidoes Credit->GS Credit
Pokomon Both Version 53.xx->48.00

GS+Edge->BBVidoes (Without Tax Added)
Bust A Move Bash Wii 0.00->20.00
Victorious Boxer Wii 22.49->30.00
Viking Ps3 16.19->20.00

BBvidoes Credit Total 70.00
GS Left Over Credit 6.00

On Side Note Victorious Boxer has no serial number
must be manually search for in the system

Rock Band Ps3 is down to 26.
I just had someone start up 3 trade accts and he swapped almost $500 worth for me in 3 stops. I gave him a Warhammer CE for $40 to say thanks.

K these are current as of 8-9pm on Sat. night-
Eye of Judgement- $30
Dragon Quest Swords(wii)-23
Puppy Love-23
Sea Monsters 23
AitD-30
High School Musical -26
Bust a Move-20
Obscure-16
Guilty Gear-23
Wild Earth-23
PS3-Skate-23

[quote name='jmiller']Then why was he banned ?[/quote]
He posted a modified GS coupon as retribution against a District Manager he didn't like; the modification said it was a special coupon and included the DM's name and number. Since modified coupons are a big no-no, and his coupon was close enough to a real-looking coupon, he was banned.

[quote name='Guerrilla']He posted a modified GS coupon as retribution against a District Manager he didn't like; the modification said it was a special coupon and included the DM's name and number. Since modified coupons are a big no-no, and his coupon was close enough to a real-looking coupon, he was banned.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I miss his post

[quote name='jmiller']Thanks for the info. I miss his post[/quote]
I think CAPA and BERZERKER have done a nice job stepping into his shoes.

Figured I'd post this because some people may be interested. Here are the price updates for games starting tomorrow:

NEW RETAIL
DS-Disney High School Musical (2?) 19.99
DS- Zoo Tycoon 2 19.99
PS3-Army of Two 29.99
Ps3-Battlefield Bad Company 39.99
PS3-Haze 29.99
PS3-WallE 39.99
X360-Army of Two 29.99
X360-Battlefield Bad Company 39.99
X360-Rainbow Six Vegas 2 39.99
X350-WallE 39.99
Wii- Battle of the Bands 19.99
Wii-Big Beach Sports 19.99
Wii-Boom Blox 29.99
Wii-NCAA Football 09 All Play 29.99
Wii-WallE 39.99
---------------------------------------

USED GAMES
PS2-NBA Live 08 9.99
PS3-DMC4 24.99
PS3-Haz3 24.99
PS3-Tiger Woods 07 14.99
X360-The Club 19.99
X360- DMC4 24.99
x360-F.E.A.R. Files 9.99

Wii-Boom Blox 29.99
Hmmm, very tempting

X360- DMC4 24.99
Even more tempting, considering if I trade in Sea Monsters (-30 from Edge/coupon) I can basically get the game for $15

And how could I forget? FEAR changing to 9.99 might make this a good flip. GS thread is showing an $8 base...making this 13.80 with Edge and the current $10 for 2.

[quote name='cg1407']Figured I'd post this because some people may be interested. Here are the price updates for games starting tomorrow:

NEW RETAIL
DS-Disney High School Musical (2?) 19.99
DS- Zoo Tycoon 2 19.99
PS3-Army of Two 29.99
Ps3-Battlefield Bad Company 39.99
PS3-Haze 29.99
PS3-WallE 39.99
X360-Army of Two 29.99
X360-Battlefield Bad Company 39.99
X360-Rainbow Six Vegas 2 39.99
X350-WallE 39.99
Wii- Battle of the Bands 19.99
Wii-Big Beach Sports 19.99
Wii-Boom Blox 29.99
Wii-NCAA Football 09 All Play 29.99
Wii-WallE 39.99
---------------------------------------

USED GAMES
PS2-NBA Live 08 9.99
PS3-DMC4 24.99
PS3-Haz3 24.99
PS3-Tiger Woods 07 14.99
X360-The Club 19.99
X360- DMC4 24.99
x360-F.E.A.R. Files 9.99

[quote name='Capa']K these are current as of 8-9pm on Sat. night-
Eye of Judgement- $30
Dragon Quest Swords(wii)-23
Puppy Love-23
Sea Monsters 23
AitD-30
High School Musical -26
Bust a Move-20
Obscure-16
Guilty Gear-23
Wild Earth-23
PS3-Skate-23[/quote]

Thanks Capa, I actually picked up skate from GS earlier tonight (they didn't have the third item I wanted) so I was debating whether or not to return it and get something else to flip. But considering the most it'll drop before tomorrow would probably be to 20, it's not worth the trouble of switching it for something else.

Thanks a lot CG14.

FEAR Files $9.99->$13.80
Time Shift $9.99->$11.60

And are you sure these games drop in price tomorrow? I don't want to go in there, buy them tomorrow morning and then feel like an idiot returning them. =/

Nice, I have credit to transfer over to GS and my BBV has a ton of Fear Files and Time Shift. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

So, my second 360, the refurb I got sent when my system crapped out, looks to be on the way out after only two months. It froze up a bunch of times on me today. It's working fine now, but the inevitable can only be delayed, never avoided. I won't miss it much, because I got stuck with an even older unit than the one I had, and the fucking disc drive is insanely loud.

I think when this one finally goes, I will be picking up an Elite.

[quote name='sp00ge']Nice, I have credit to transfer over to GS and my BBV has a ton of Fear Files and Time Shift. I know what I'm doing tomorrow![/quote]

Ditto -- I didn't know those transferred well...hm

EDIT: WOW noob post by me. I might actually keep one of the FEAR Files (already beat Timeshift)

Alright kids, here's your Sunday B2G1 flips shopping list.
Updated with information up through this post currently.
Emphasis on the 2:1 ratio range.

Posted at 2330 est 27 Sep '08

(~$8 each at GS before tax)
12.99 $20 Luxor Pharaoh's Challenge (Wii)
12.99 $20 Sega Superstar Tennis (PS3)

12.99 $16 Cranium Kabookii (Wii)
12.99 $16 Rock and Roll Adventures (Wii)
12.99 $16 Spy Games Elevator Mission (Wii)

12.99 $13 Balls of Fury (Wii)
12.99 $11 Looney Tunes (Wii)
12.99 $11 Tamagotchi (Wii)

(~$9 each at GS before tax)
14.99 $13 Chicken Little (Wii)

(~$11 each at GS before tax)
17.99 $23 Hail to the Chimp (PS3)
17.99 $23 One Piece (Wii)
17.99 $23 Wild Earth (Wii)
17.99 $22 Hail to the Chimp (360)

17.99 $20 Bust a Move Bash (Wii)
17.99 $20 Cabela's Big Game Hunter (Wii)
17.99 $20 Code Lyoko (Wii)
17.99 $20 Viking (PS3)
17.99 $19 Cabela's Trophy Bucks (360)
17.99 $16 Call of Duty 3 (Wii)
17.99 $16 Obscure: The Aftermath (Wii)
17.99 $16 Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

(~$12 each at GS before tax)
19.99 $23 Sea Monsters (Wii)
19.99 $20 WSOP 2008 Battle for Bracelets (PS3)

(~$15 each at GS before tax)
24.99 $30 Alone In The Dark (Wii)
24.99 $30 Eye of Judgement (PS3)
YMMV as always
24.99 $30 Samurai Warriors KATANA (Wii)
24.99 $30 Victorious Boxer (Wii)

24.99 $26 Blacksite: Area 51 (PS3)
24.99 $26 High School Musical (Wii)
24.99 $25 Fatal Inertia (360)
24.99 $23 History Channel: BftP (PS3)
24.99 $23 Guilty Gear (Wii)
24.99 $23 Puppy Luv (Wii)