The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']COD4 over World at War, hands down.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='saunderscowie']Both Call of Dutys are good, but 4 is better and cheaper.[/QUOTE]

These, CoD4 is the true victor.

[quote name='AlohaMars2']Could always try selling on here or ebay.....[/QUOTE]
Yeah i could, but i live in radium bc and i have yet to meet another cag around here so i would have to ship and that would be a pain and as for ebay i have no access to my bank acount cuz of my folks so i would just end up with an extra load of cash gaining dust.

I'm on the phone with M$ right now for over 30 minutes trying to downgrade my Gold Acct. to Silver

People learn from my mistake - DO NOT give M$ your Credit Card number stick with the prepaid gold cards - they are cheaper too!!! What the heck was I thinking....

[quote name='carbogo']I'm on the phone with M$ right now for over 30 minutes trying to downgrade my Gold Acct. to Silver

People learn from my mistake - DO NOT give M$ your Credit Card number stick with the prepaid gold cards - they are cheaper too!!! What the heck was I thinking....[/quote]

you might want to keep an eye on your credit card too, just to make sure it doesn't auto renew even though you called to cancel. I had that happen once.

Maybe if they hired people that spoke English, it would be a smoother process.

[quote name='bkfountain']you might want to keep an eye on your credit card too, just to make sure it doesn't auto renew even though you called to cancel. I had that happen once.

Maybe if they hired people that spoke English, it would be a smoother process.[/quote]

It would probably be easier to just change your name and identity then to get them to take off your credit card at Microsoft.

[quote name='Rig']1-800-4MY-XBOX

Like shrike said, you have to call and cancel.[/quote]

And pray you get someone that can speak AND understand English. Usually you get one or the other, rarely both.

I have $75 on a Gamestop gift card. I was going to buy Sacred 2 but since that is delayed until May I figured I would use the card for something else. Here are the games I am considering:

Bioshock
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Prince of Perisa
Just get some Microsoft points

I think I've played pretty much any other big name games but I'm also open to some suggestions.

Thanks.

Bioshock is excellent and it's probably the cheapest on that list.

Fallout 3 is excellent as well, but it's a huge time sink.

Have you considered Space Chimps by any chance ?
;)

[quote name='thehuskerfan']Get BioShock and Dead Space, you won't regret either purchase![/QUOTE]

I second that. Both of those games are A+. Also I believe both have demos on Xbox LIVE. You could always pick up Bioshock used on GameStop.com and use CAG16(16% off), SAVER(free saver shipping, and your edge card.

BioShock Xbox 360 $24.99

$24.99
- $4.00 (CAG16 - 16% off all in-stock used games & dvds - BioShock)

Sub-Total:
$20.99
-10% (edge card)

subtotal

$18.90+tax

Dead Space and Prince of Persia can be finished in a weekly rental & if you haven't signed up for a GameFly sub before you could always do a trial and play these.

I will say the same thing I say in every thread of this nature....Sneak King. It's less than $1 and it's the creepiest game you'll ever play.

But, as for your list, go with Prince of Persia.

Fallout 3....best bang for your buck.

Bioshock....In a lot of ways better then Fallout 3, but only about 10 hours long, and does not have the lasting impact of Fallout 3.

Dead Space....solid game worth a buy.

Prince of Persia, definitely a rental.

Hey guys, I just got my RE Elite bundle and it didn't have any paperwork about buying the MS extended warranty. I don't want to get the BB warranty because of the issue with getting a "limited edition" repaired, and figured MS would be safer, but I don't see how to get the warranty and I don't even see anything on the US website about purchasing an extended warranty anymore.

I know the 360 has the 3 year warranty on the red rings but given my luck with 360 DVD drives, I'd really like longer than a year on the rest of the system...

Does MS still offer their own extended warranty? Or did they too decide they lose too much money repairing these suckers? ;)

Speaking of the warranty, what's the best in-store warranty for an Xbox 360?

I heard Bestbuy offers a good warranty. When I get my Xbox 360 I plan on getting a store warranty and the warranty from calling Microsoft, like it says on the first page of this thread.

Red ring of death seems like too much of a gamble/problem, even if I take good care of my systems!

There's no need (and it's sort of a waste of money) to get 2 warranties... they would overlap and do you no good.

Best Buy's plan is just a service warranty now, not a swap-out replacement warranty, so in a sense it's the same as MS' except who knows who they send the systems out to repair. At least MS has some sort of obligation (I know, I know, bad track record) to fix the system right and has access to knowing what is going wrong with them. My luck with BB is they have destroyed everything I have given to them to fix, resulting in eventually just getting a gift card for a replacement after 3 tries. (they sent me back a receiver that they didn't even put the case back on right before screwing everything together and the whole chassis was bent/deformed, and it was still broken!) If I bought a normal Xbox that might be ok but since I have the red LE I want to know it hopefully can be fixed, not just replaced with a standard white one.

MS wrote me back and said the extended warranty was still available for $59.90 for 2 years. I'm just going with that.

Unless things have changed over the years, I do believe Best Buy has replacement plans for electronics. I bought my PS2 there with a one-year replacement plan, and when it started getting DREs, I brought it back, and they gave me a new one, no questions asked.

They don't offer that anymore-- they were losing too much money replacing 360s. It changed around the fall last year.

I don't think any console is covered by a replacement plan anymore, even the DS/DSi shows up as a Geek Squad Black Tie plan (which is a service plan).

I've been in the market for a good RPG lately and I've only had my Xbox360 since October. I've been looking at various review sites but haven't really found anything calling out to me. So, I turn to my fellow CAG's.

I am already aware of Fallout 3, Fable 2 and Oblivion.

Anything else that's worth playing? Anything coming out really soon that you're hyped on?

Before you click the spoiler tag, read these bulletpoints first:

* This has never happened to me
* This started last night during a game of Resident Evil 5
* Thinking it was the game, I turned it off that night, then on this morning to find out it affected the dashboard too

* Doing some swapping of consoles and inputs, I found the Wii worked on the same input without the filter, so it was Xbox related and not my TV.
* I bought some new component cables, and replaced them. The problem was still there. However, after some wait, the problem went away and the dashboard was back to normal. Unfortunately, it went back to the weird filter. Then back to normal. It just jumps back and forth.
* I have not experienced any constant lockups, or any other graphical errors besides what's pictured, even prior to this happening. I played the entiretly of the Guitar Hero Metallica demo without any problems - graphical filter aside.

Now that you've read this, please click the spoiler and see if my picture matches what you have experienced, and if you think my Xbox is simply dying or I need a part replaced.

hpim0868.jpg

dont know if this is related or not, but last night i turned on my 360 and the resolution was all off. i went to change it back and instead of the 480p, 720p 1080i etc options, there were things like 1024 x 720 (or something but like 20 options).

it was solved with a restart.
i figured it had something to do with all the problems with xbox.com and billing/site maintenance....but i dont think that has anything to do with it.

I have the exact same thing on the right side of my screen. I have no clue what it is either. I kept thinking it was my TV but everything else is perfect on the right side of the screen. It's a puzzler really.

I had the exact same problem last spring. I was playing Mass Effect and suddenly, "What the fuck!?" I turned my system off and the graphics had that "filter" the next couple times I played gears of war. Then, I got no video what so ever, but the system was "working" (as in I could hear it signing in and I could move through the menus). Basically, your GPU is most likely ruined. My 360 eventually got a RROD after a couple months (Yes, I am so damn cheap that I refused to pay the $100 to get it fixed and just towel tricked it occasionally). But hey, this is Cheapassgamer

If you still have that RROD warranty or something, hopefully you can get it fixed.

[quote name='Malik112099']E74 error is coming[/QUOTE]

Aye, that sounds like a heat issue OP. From my experience with computers, when a screen goes out like that it usually means the video card is over heating or the motherboard is about to go out. Sorry man!

[quote name='nnthomas']I guess I better start a new tradelist on here and fund a new xbox... lol.[/QUOTE]

Haha yea maybe lol! I would start saving up for one or just send it back when the time comes. I would give it a month or maybe 3 months tops.

I had the same problem. Is your Xbox connected through Component or HDMI? If it is HDMI then Go to System Settings, then Display, and then to HDMI Color Space. When you are in the color space menu select YCbCr709. This should solve the issue. If you are connected through component it should be set to RGB or the same setting. Give it a try. Hope this helps.

[quote name='gdw3877']I had the same problem. Is your Xbox connected through Component or HDMI? If it is HDMI then Go to System Settings, then Display, and then to HDMI Color Space. When you are in the color space menu select YCbCr709. This should solve the issue. If you are connected through component it should be set to RGB or the same setting. Give it a try. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Man I hope that's the problem! OP tell us if this helped in anyway!

Tales of Vesperia (still the best JRPG on the console)
Blue Dragon
Fable 2 (Pretty damn good except it's buggy as hell; sort of like Zelda, but the main story sucks and the side-parts are great)

I thought Oblivion was overhyped, although it had enjoyable side-quests and thought Eternal Sonata was an abysmal. As for Mass Effect, I don't consider it much of a RPG, and consider it more to be a poor-man's shooter with texture pop-in problems and lots of elevators (The one on the Normandy was an especially dick move; you move like...5 feet and it takes 20 seconds).

I just got a brand new Xbox 360 Pro and Skate 2, and every now and then the game will just crash and it'll say something like "disc unreadable." Is this more likely a hardware error or a disc error, and should I just play it safe by returning both system and game for new ones? This only happens with Skate so far, Katamari seemed to run for hours without issue.

Also is there any advantage in getting an Elite? Do they have better cooling or better drives, better QA?

Are there any really great racing games for the 360? It seems to me that most racing games are seriously not fun, they might have kickass graphics but the gameplay usually isn't there. The most fun I've had was with WipEout (PS1). ReVolt (DC), F-Zero (SNES), Rock and Roll Racing (SNES), Uniracers (SNES).

I liked Fallout 3 more then Mass Effect, currently playing Star Ocean which has been a lot of fun (15hours in) combat is fun...getting 1k in the game will require a lot of time.

bread's done
Back