The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Hi. I'm not too sure if this thread is an appropriate place to post, but I'll give it a shot. I found out a week ago my av/component cables for my 360 is not emitting out any visual or sound. At first, I thought my cables died out, so I used several of my friends' cables. Turns out that the results came off the same. So I decided to call Microsoft support and they told me that I have to mail it in and pay the out-of-warranty fee of 99.99. At this point and time, I am in no mood to pay $100 for a fee that I feel that I do not deserve to pay when it's a manufacturing problem in the console So my question for you all is, are there any other alternatives of solving this issue.

And my second question is, can I return my 360 to gamestop even after a year.

Thanks.

Even though it wasn't well received from critics, I've enjoyed The Last Remnant. There were concerns about it being buggy, but once you install it to the HD, everything works well.

Hated Blue Dragon, enjoyed Mass Effect and Fable II. Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata are in my unplayed stash. Need to go back and finish Oblivion and Tales sometime.

Found one for $15.00 on craigslist and just wanted to make sure it would work with my 360 before I go to buy it. My current router is a Belkin Wireless G router 802.11g 2.4Ghz .

[quote name='Richlough']Nope , just the official MS adapter will work .[/QUOTE]

Wrong...The linksys "B" game adapter works great.

[quote name='boomer725']Wrong...The linksys "B" game adapter works great.[/QUOTE]

Sorry buddy, but I think you are wrong. The Linksys B game adapter is a closed system whose sole purpose is to take in a wireless network and allow a wired device to connect to it. The Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter is just a USB network card, which requires drivers for the system to understand how to talk to the USB device. As far as I know, it won't work.

Act like I'm posting this from the future, since I have yet to play or even open the damn game...

"I thoroughly enjoyed Lost Odyssey."

[quote name='Richlough']Nope , just the official MS adapter will work .[/quote]
Thanks for the advice, saved me 15 bucks. :lol::cool:

I'm really enjoying Blue Dragon. The skill system is pretty interesting, but somewhat confusing. Only $13 shipped at Newegg. Of the ones I've played, I'd definitely recommend Oblivion and Fallout 3. Mass Effect and Fabe 2 are alright, but no where near as satisfying.

Big RPG guy here. To be honest, the only RPG game on the 360 that I even consider good is Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect (although you may not like ME, really depends...)

I think Fable 2 was good (less buggy than fallout 3 by far for me)
I liked Lost Odyssey (no ending there though IMO)
ME really good
Fallout 3 was still pretty fun

So in order = Fable 2, Fallout 3, lost odyssey, ME

I have a slightly odd question about the migration kits. A while ago, my brother and I got a 360 together (which we currently share). Because of only having one Xbox, and me rarely playing online gaming, we decided to just use one Live gold account between the two of us. However, after all of the deals on 13 month cards, I bit and made my own account. I'm going to be leaving for college next year, and decided to get my own 360 for college.
So I am now kind of in a difficult situation. On my brothers account (before I got my gamer tag), I downloaded all of things I wanted, like Rock Band DLC, etc. The content wasn't bought through my personal account that i will be using on the Xbox. Is there anyway using the transfer cable (or other means) that I could get the things off of his hard drive, get it on mine, but not have to use the account that downloaded it?

Pretty much no. Sorry, you're pretty much out of luck. DLC is tied to both a Gamertag and the system it was purchased on. You can get around this by doing a license transfer, but that would prevent your brother from using the stuff he purchased.

Nope nothing sadly...tried this once myself. Only thing you can do is swap hard drives with your brother the day you leave and change your phone number =/

I'm confused. I have that Wireless B Game Adapter thing, and it does work. It basically just acts as an access point, fools whatever console you plug it into, into thinking it's "wired". It's rather slow, though!

On a side note, my launch 360 finally died. Just in time, too--only had another two months left on the three-year warranty. They're sending me a coffin.

So what's the procedure? They repair my box, or are they gonna just send me a new one, hopefully with the new chipset? If it breaks a second time after my three-year is over, am I screwed?

And one last question. I don't have a custom faceplate. Do I still have to take the faceplate off? If so, how do you remove the dang thing?

Let's see if any of my questions get answered. :) Sorry for the confusingly worded post.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']So what's the procedure? They repair my box, or are they gonna just send me a new one, hopefully with the new chipset?[/quote]

They definitely aren't gonna send you a new one, unfortunately. More than likely, you'll get someone else's repaired console. And so the cycle continues.

[quote name='klezmer41']I just got a brand new Xbox 360 Pro and Skate 2, and every now and then the game will just crash and it'll say something like "disc unreadable." Is this more likely a hardware error or a disc error, and should I just play it safe by returning both system and game for new ones? This only happens with Skate so far, Katamari seemed to run for hours without issue.

Also is there any advantage in getting an Elite? Do they have better cooling or better drives, better QA?[/quote]

Elites, Pro's & Arcades all fail the same. I've even heard of the new RE red elite's having problems and error code E74.
I think that microsoft is just band-aiding the problem over & over again.
One thing is certain, that it's only a matter of time for your 360 to fail.

I sent mine in about a month ago. I got back my console but I think the internal components (guts) were changed because the wired MAC address for my console was different.

Yeah, it's definitely possible you will get back on your console. I know plenty of people who have. But it's generally a lot easier for them to keep the turnaround to a minimum by sending out an already repaired console and fixing yours later.

Either way when you receive the console back from MS Mexican repair facility just ebay it or put it on craigslist asap to unload it quick. Go pick up an arcade unit and double check the lot# and power rating (12.1 amps) to make sure that you get a Jasper and get a warranty if available.

Is there any way to check the XBL Reputation without being on your console? (Not just the star rating, but the actual breakdown)

I searched on Xbox.com, but couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks

Pretty sure you have to be on the actual console to do this. As much as I have been on Xbox.com lately, I haven't seen anywhere that I can check my rep. Not that I usually look for that when I am on the site, but it should be around the edit profile area if it were on there and I have edited my profile once or twice on there.

I played five minutes of lost odyssey at a friends and didnt like it, but i like games more like dark alliance fable ultimate alliance and two wolrds if it was better, i ve been thinking of picking up mass effect and eternal sonata too human and tales of vesperia, are these similar dark alliance, i know eternal sonata is and i like it but i m not sure if i can make through the whole game, someone metioned mass effect as being a poor mans shooter how so?

I don't like western RPGs but I loved Mass Effect, if you haven't played it yet do yourself a favor and check it out. Tales of Vesperia is by far the best JRPG on a current gen console.

Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyessy & Blue Dragon are all worth a try. But stay away from the Square/Enix stuff.

OK, I have two of the GHWT guitars (which I'm using for RB2, but that's probably irrelevant).

Guitar A has a high-pitched "squeak" every time I strum down and has a hair-trigger Star Power activation.

Guitar B also has a squeaking sound though not as high-pitched, but at least the Star Power seems to work normally.

Both of them work fine otherwise, but the "squeakiness" is slowly getting on my nerves. Are there any remedies to fix this without having to take them apart?

Thanks

There is a solution, but it does involve taking off the faceplate which I don't think counts as taking it apart.

Remove the faceplate exposing more of the strum bar and then put WD40 on a q-tip (not directly on the guitar) and push and hold the strum bar in one position and put the WD40 on. Then strum and hold the other direction and repeat. Now wiggle in the WD40 until the squeak is gone. If it still squeaks, repeat!

Activision was pretty good about their Warranty replacement.

I bought a standalone Guitar Hero 3 wireless Guitar at Circuit Citys closing for like $8 bucks and they replaced it with a Brand new GH World Tour version

[quote name='ZForce915']There is a solution, but it does involve taking off the faceplate which I don't think counts as taking it apart.

Remove the faceplate exposing more of the strum bar and then put WD40 on a q-tip (not directly on the guitar) and push and hold the strum bar in one position and put the WD40 on. Then strum and hold the other direction and repeat. Now wiggle in the WD40 until the squeak is gone. If it still squeaks, repeat![/quote]

This is what I'm going to have to do with my second guitar. The first WT guitar did this and then a week later stopped working only down but luckily I had the best buy 90 day warranty to fall back on. Second guitar is starting to squeak but I usually play GH with headphones, since I play at night.

Hello everybody,

I have a question for all of you and am looking for an answer. I currently have an 360 premium(purchased just after release) and have already had it replaced once due to RROD. I have a bunch of gift cards and was wanting another 360 for my basement and want it to be a 360 elite. Should I get it now(dont really "NEED" it, just want it), or should I wait until after E3 to see if some kind of announcement is made involving some kind of new design or feature(keeping fingers crossed for built in Wi-Fi adapter). I am just curious as to what you all think. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Blissfully making my way through Oblivion GOTY Ed. after letting it sit in my backlog pile for far too long. Can't imagine much better than this.

Fable 2 was quite an experience, but I played at launch, and I was absolutely immersed into it. But it has really bad glitches, my daughter ran away to be an adventurer like me and I went to save her, and I did but when we came out of the cave she was stuck and would not move, I reloaded and same thing, over and over. There were tons of other glitches but that one bothered me the most.

Fallout 3 has just as many if not more glitches, but they didn't annoy me quite as much as Fable 2's. Both are great games, but have their share of glitches.

Oblivion was a great game, I never finished or beat it and never played through the bonus content so I think I'll personally be picking up the GOTY edition soon.

Only thing that kept me playing Mass Effect was the great voice acting and music, especially that little tune when you open the galaxy map. Other than that, the game feels really clunky and dull. I personally didn't like it much.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom was a terrible game in my opinion, it hasn't been mentioned but if you come across it I recommened skipping.

I'm not much into JRPGs but I will get Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and maybe Star Ocean eventually to play through.

Still waiting patiently for Final Fantasy XIII... and am currently looking forward to The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf for Xbox 360 (which I thought was gonna be released in the next few months but after looking up a bit it's all saying 3rd or 4th Q). Also might wanna check out Rise of the Argonauts but I hear it's not really that good, I planned on getting it on its release date but bad reviews have kinda made me change my mind on it, but I still will check that one out eventually.

So (IMO), the good: Fable 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion. (in that order).
The bad: Mass effect
the ugly: KUF: CoD

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I'm not much into JRPGs but I will get Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and maybe Star Ocean eventually to play through. [/quote]

Horizon I would start with Lost Odyssey as it's the cheapest ($30 new.) If you want something more real time, I would DEFINATELY say Tales over Star Ocean, but Tales is Out of Print so you will likely have to find a used copy for near full price. Lost Odyssey is very similar to Final Fantasy X so use that as a guide.

bread's done
Back