The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Spybreak8']I've had my battery packs since when I got my system which was 2 years ago and they're fine. Maybe it's a massed produced thing.[/quote]Same here, not sure if it matters that I got them from Microsoft headquarters.

My 360 has been the Rock Band player for too long. I have a high spec computer and prefer shooters on that but, I would like a local few local multiplayer games.

I have some XBLA titles... Castle Crashers and Worms.

I know this sounds crazy, and maybe it is. Maybe it's just in my imagination, but the Xbox 360 has a very distinctive smell that makes me uncomfortable. If you don't know what I'm talking about, put your nose up to the contorller or any of the supplied cables (power cable, HDMI, USB, any of them) and smell them. They don't smell like anything else. The rubber they used to coat the wires and manufacture the controller is unique. Maybe it's because I've been a PS3 owner for about the past year and finally found a good deal on a cheap Xbox 360. It reminds me of spending the night at a poor weird kid's house back when I was young where everything smelled strange and served as a constant reminder I was not home. I'm familiar with the nuetral smell of my PS3, and now my entire home is flooded with the stench of stagnant air from the unpopular poor kid's home (the unpopular poor kid being the Xbox 360). Granted, I may not be the most popular either, and some may accused me of being a bit 'weird' or someone with 'psychologial needs' (they can't diagnose you as a schitzo if you don't go to the doctor), but I don't think this smell is all within my head. Put your cables up to your nose and take a deep whiff. Tell me I'm not crazy. What is that smell?

I didn't notice that smell you were talking about, but sometimes my 360 gives off a slight burning smell from the vents in the back, even when I've barely used it that day. I always fear that it's going to Red Ring when that smell comes around.

Smell that? Smells like fear....dont worry I wont beat you in every game you own....

or you are just imagining things :p lol i dont smell anything bud

Yea, I know what you're saying. It doesn't bother me (I actually kind of enjoy it). It's like a very deep new game smell.

The plastic smell is very different... *shrugs*

^

same type of people who sit around and smell the dvdcase of a new game.

Never had it smell...use a compressed air can and blow out the console if it starts stinking up the room.

I have the new NXE version of dashboard. My problem is that when I try to download any content rated M or RP, I get an error message that says "This account is not permitted to download content with this rating." So I go to My Xbox > System Settings > Family Settings. Once here there are two tabs, Console Controls and Xbox LIVE Controls. When I check Console Controls, everything is set to "allow all", "show all content", etc. However, when I go to Xbox LIVE Controls, I have to click on my gamertag which brings me to a page where I must sign in with my Windows Live ID. However, within one second of this page coming up I get an error message which says, "Can't connect to Xbox LIVE. Please try again later. For more info, go to www.xbox.com/support." Let me make it clear that I am connected to Xbox Live and I am able to play online games before and after attempting this, and I have tried many times.

Any ideas guys? I'm sick of not being able to watch trailers.

I just rediscovered my love for basketball games. I am not a follower of the sport so don't care too much about extra stuff just tight control and mechanics. I know the 2k series is rating the best.

So which year should I go for that is under 15 bucks?

There was a way to change child accounts to adult accounts, search XBox.com for it. I think it will require the permission/passwords of the person who setup your child account.

[quote name='jakescape53']Or if you're into the college basketball atmosphere, College Hoops 2k8 is 14.99 used at gamestop/game crazy which is a steal.[/quote]

yea I was thinking about college hoops....

Hi folks,

I'm a big fan of the bricks bashing style games (just like arkanoid) and while waiting for Arkanoid live (I can't resist anymore), I started looking for alternatives on the xbox marketplace.

The only one (the only one good looking and playable) I was able to find is this: bricks4ever, it is very cheap (200mp) and I had a lot of fun; there are some amazing game modes and levels and it looks gorgeus (it reminds me geometry wars).

Now I'm looking for another arkanoid style game; there are others on the xbox live marketplace? Anybody knows? suggestions? (please suggest decent and playable things)

bricks4ever and Slam are the only ones that are worthwhile.

But there was Break One Off that was up for a day till MS took it down. In other words, if you don't have the demo of it on your system, you're not getting it.

Peggle? It's like Arkanoid/Breakout upside down. I like it a bunch as does my lady and generally anyone who gives it a try. Super casual and super fun.

[quote name='gareman']yea I was thinking about college hoops....[/quote]

Also i've tended to notice that NCAA games have a longer life than pro sports games mainly due to the vast number of teams to experiment with rather than 30 some professional rosters. Also the 2kshare on xbox live lets you update to current rosters for free which is pretty cool.

[quote name='Redeema']Peggle? It's like Arkanoid/Breakout upside down. I like it a bunch as does my lady and generally anyone who gives it a try. Super casual and super fun.[/quote]

Peggle?
I do love peggle (played both on pc and xbox) but it isn't an arkanoid style game.

I tried also slam (a Community games just like Bricks4Ever) but i didn't like it, it looks great but I think that there are things that should remain 2D or you loose the feel.

I just bought a used Xbox 360 from Craigs List for about half of what Gamestop would normally charge and have a few questions:

1. The seller had lost his original receipt. Does Microsoft require an original receipt for repair work under warranty? Is the original warranty transferable from one owner to the next? The system was originally bought brand new less than a year ago.

2. Is virtually every Xbox 360 guaranteed to get the Red Ring of Death? If not, what percentage of Xbox 360s are expected to fail? My Xbox 360 Elite was manufactured in February 2008 and has a Falcon chip (I suspect).

3. Do Xbox 360 hard drives usually fail? I figured that even if my system crashes, I sitll have a 120 gig hard drive worth a hundred dollars.

4. If I do get the Red Ring or Death and cannot send it in to Mircosoft, is the solution as easy as finding someone on Craigs List who can fix it within a couple of hours for $40 or $50?

5. I want to change my gamer name from the original username to one I choose. It looks like Microsoft wants to charge me 800 points (about ten dollars) to change my gamer name. Am I over-looking something?

I know I have a lot of questions, but would like as many answers as I can get. So far, my used Xbox 360 is working just fine, but I am reluctant to buy games for a system that seems is guaranteed to break in the near future. Before I bought the used system, I was confident in my purchase as it was an Elite system. I though the Elite models had been manufactured with greater care and were less vulnerable to the Red Ring of Death, but after some internet research, that apparently is not true.

i bought a refurbished xbox off ebay and microsoft would NOT repair it when i had RROD. they said that becaused it was in someone elses name originally that i would be charged 99$ for the repair.

mine also had the falcon chip. i had it for 4 days before it RROD'd. it happened the day after xbox live did some update or something.

if you get the rrod i would recommend trying to get it repaired by microsoft. if the other person didnt register it then you could probably get it done for free.
i wouldnt trust someone else fixing it because they could just be doing the towel trick and only making it work for a short time..not actually fixing it

...i dotn know about the rest..sorry.

[quote name='steve_k']
1. The seller had lost his original receipt. Does Microsoft require an original receipt for repair work under warranty? Is the original warranty transferable from one owner to the next? The system was originally bought brand new less than a year ago. [/quote]
The receipt is not needed. What is important is if the previous owner registered that xbox's serial number with Microsoft, and when.

2. Is virtually every Xbox 360 guaranteed to get the Red Ring of Death? If not, what percentage of Xbox 360s are expected to fail? My Xbox 360 Elite was manufactured in February 2008 and has a Falcon chip (I suspect).
I'm still on my August 2005 360 without RRoD. Many people will try and say that's a fluke or not true. Whatever. On a long enough time line all electronics fail. It's all about how long you expect them to run without failing.

3. Do Xbox 360 hard drives usually fail? I figured that even if my system crashes, I sitll have a 120 gig hard drive worth a hundred dollars.
I've never heard of anyone's drive failing. I'm sure they can though.

4. If I do get the Red Ring or Death and cannot send it in to Mircosoft, is the solution as easy as finding someone on Craigs List who can fix it within a couple of hours for $40 or $50?
It can be. I have a cousin who had luck in repairing his that way.

5. I want to change my gamer name from the original username to one I choose. It looks like Microsoft wants to charge me 800 points (about ten dollars) to change my gamer name. Am I over-looking something?
Yes it's 800 points to change a live gamertag.
I don't know why you'd want to start with someone elses gamerscore/history anyway, unless he has a ton of Gold months left on his account.

Usually what you'd do in your case is create a NEW gamertag, then buy live gold if you want it. Don't let it auto-sign in the old users tag.

I know I have a lot of questions, but would like as many answers as I can get. So far, my used Xbox 360 is working just fine, but I am reluctant to buy games for a system that seems is guaranteed to break in the near future. Before I bought the used system, I was confident in my purchase as it was an Elite system. I though the Elite models had been manufactured with greater care and were less vulnerable to the Red Ring of Death, but after some internet research, that apparently is not true.
The only care the Elite systems were given is making sure they got black paint.
But they are not guaranteed to fail either, don't let anyone tell you that.

I recently moved my 360, took it over to my brother's place and back. Anyways, its been in a carrying bag for about 2 weeks, finally have time to rehook everything up and I hear a loose screw inside. Its not sliding around or anything, but I can hear it a jiggling sound. I was pretty carefully handling it, but I suppose even a slight drop on the couch could have done it. I suppose I cant do much besides opening it, but does anyone hear think it poses a hazard or cause damage? I played it for a few hours today and everything ran fine.

If the warranty is still active I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

Unless it starts to act up, then you should take some form of action.

My 360 has always had a bit of a loose piece type sound when I move it...and I only noticed it when I brought it on a longer trip. So if its similar to the sound of mine...I wouldn't worry about it :D

i took my crappy battery pack out, and put it in another wireless controller and now its charging just fine with the red light... something strange is going on.

I don't have a 360 yet. I created a gamertag long ago on xbox.com, and associated it with my Windows Live ID. Now, I want to create a different gamertag, but have it associated with my current Live ID. Can I make a new Live ID and switch my old gamertag to the new Live ID (as outlined here,) then create a new gamertag associated with my old Live ID?

If it works, I guess it would be the only way to change my gamertag without paying for it.

[quote name='maigoyume']If the warranty is still active I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

Unless it starts to act up, then you should take some form of action.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, it would make me uncomfortable. Could cause a short or who knows what. I'd unplug it at least when you're not using it.

EDIT: And I've hauled my 360 around quite a bit-wrapped in towels, in a backback, so I was preetty careful, but I haven't had anything like that happen. If it was easy to get open I'd say for sure to see what's going on, but since it's not... :whistle2:/

Hopefully someone will know the answer to this:

My 360 got the RROD. To tide me over while the repair process is happening, I've borrowed my girlfriends console and I'm using my HD while hooked up to live to access my content.

I had a code for Timepilot that I was going to redeem, but my 360 of course, died. Now that I have my girlfriend's, I entered the code on live, downloaded the game, and played it a bit. I went to download a demo of the Dishwasher Dead Samurai, and was told it was already in my queue. It said it was queued to download on my other 360, so I had to override and choose to download again. This reminded me of how arcade downloads are console specific.

So my question is, being that I downloaded Timepilot using my girlfriend's 360 (even though it's my Live account and HD), will I be able to play it offline on my original 360 when I get it back, or will it pull the BS where I have to be signed into Live to play Timepilot?

With the way it's set up, I'm betting it's now tied to my girlfriend's console and I'll have to call Xbox support when I get mine back. Ugh.

Pretty sure (95%) you'll have to be online to play. I've done this a few times, and only when I use my console has it worked where I didn't have to be online. Not anything that can be done about it now anyways though, so no point in worrying XD

[quote name='Spades22']Pretty sure (95%) you'll have to be online to play. I've done this a few times, and only when I use my console has it worked where I didn't have to be online. Not anything that can be done about it now anyways though, so no point in worrying XD[/quote]

I figured this much. I had to call Xbox support when I found out my girlfriend's premium didn't come with Hexic HD, and I was able to eventually get someone who spoke decent English and could actually help me. Of course, once it RROD'd, they didn't carry over the licenses like they should have, and I didn't feel like calling them up again.

I guess I'll call when I get mine back, and handle both problems at once.

I doubt it'll work though...but if it does post here! I'd like to do the same with those I've only been able to play online. Reason I don't think it'll work though is because even when you download the game that you can only play online to your console, it still doesn't work offline. Dunno how they'd change it so it would work. And also, if they could change it, they'd essentially be giving an XBLA game to two people for the price of 1...which might not fly too well. Maybe don't explain the situation in too much detail :lol: Just be like "Ya, I downloaded the game as shown from my account, but I can only play it online! *Then get all angry as if MS just tried to rip you off*"

Does anyone else have this problem with their arcade games? It shows them as full games (which I bought) but sometimes I go into them, such as Sonic 1, and i hit start game, and it tells me its a trial version, and asks if I want to unlock the game. So I redownload the full game which takes a second, and then it works again, but I have to do this everytime I go into certain games. Anyone know how to fix it?

[quote name='orbit18']i took my crappy battery pack out, and put it in another wireless controller and now its charging just fine with the red light... something strange is going on.[/QUOTE]

Weird, well remember to run the battery down all the way to have it last longer. (Ditto for if you're just using regular NiMHs in it like I do.)

[quote name='Spades22']I doubt it'll work though...but if it does post here! I'd like to do the same with those I've only been able to play online. Reason I don't think it'll work though is because even when you download the game that you can only play online to your console, it still doesn't work offline. Dunno how they'd change it so it would work. And also, if they could change it, they'd essentially be giving an XBLA game to two people for the price of 1...which might not fly too well. Maybe don't explain the situation in too much detail :lol: Just be like "Ya, I downloaded the game as shown from my account, but I can only play it online! *Then get all angry as if MS just tried to rip you off*"[/quote]

The way to fix it would be a license transfer of the game to my original Xbox.

It wouldn't be giving the game to two people. It's on my harddrive, connected to my live account, just on a separate console. The only ways I could share the game would be to share my harddrive, or to share my Live account, which are both tedious and I have no intention of doing.

I get what you're trying to say, but it wouldn't work out to be "Now I have the same game on both consoles!" Besides, if they do in fact carry out the license transfer, I'm sure they will delete the original rights to the game which I incorrectly downloaded to my girlfriend's Xbox.

Isn't that how the XBLA titles for half price work though? Upload your friends profile on your 360, download the game, now the person who used their profile can use it when online and the person who downloaded on their 360 can use it offline. Unless they do and can delete it as you say though...just saying that if you asked for them to just give you the game it would technically be available on two consoles now. It's not like I care or anything, but they might bring that argument up.

[quote name='Spades22']Isn't that how the XBLA titles for half price work though? Upload your friends profile on your 360, download the game, now the person who used their profile can use it when online and the person who downloaded on their 360 can use it offline. Unless they do and can delete it as you say though...just saying that if you asked for them to just give you the game it would technically be available on two consoles now. It's not like I care or anything, but they might bring that argument up.[/quote]

I highly doubt Xbox's India support would bring up that argument.

I still don't get how you think the second Xbox could use it offline however. It's downloaded on my hard-drive and tied to my Live account. How would my girlfriend even be able to get the full game onto her HD? I don't think you could download the trial and it would instantly turn into the full game.

Has this happened to anyone else? I play an arcade game off the hard drive but my 360 spins the dvd? It will spin the damn thing till the end of days unless I either take it out or eject and put it back in?!

bread's done
Back