The Gobbledy G00ker Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love it if they made a campaign mode for the late '80s early '90s era.

[quote name='Brak']I'd love it if they made a campaign mode for the late '80s early '90s era.[/QUOTE]

Will you stop!!

Good commentary from Monsoon and Heenan would be a guaranteed sale for me. Of course, they would probably just have McMahon on commentary.

"WHAT A MANEUVER!!!"

"OH YEAH!!!"

Straight from the Kool-Aid Man school of commentary.

Well, THQ won't exist in a year, so my hopes are more simple - that whoever ends up with the WWE license doesn't fuck it up magnificently. The developers and writers have put care into the content of the product, and need to fix some of the mechanics of the product to make it really, truly excellent.

Also, the menu system and loading times are pretty shameful, still. Slightly improved, but not amazing.

I haven't played with Undertaker yet but does he still have the generic pre- and post-match animations? It kills me watching him prance around after a match.

Bought WWE 13 from Wal-Mart's website for $25. (Thus continuing my streak of not being in a Wal-Mart, which is approaching a year.) Waiting for the delivery. I would like to take this time to blame all of you for your constant praise of the game. We'll see how much I enjoy this latest Yuke's title. Been a few years. In those few years, in general, I've become more lenient with my standards. Maybe I'll enjoy the engine.

Went to New Found Glory's LA show last night and ran into Punk outside. Nice guy in the 30 seconds I said hello.

Here's a really good interview with The Godfather. Some of the highlights:

On the Papa Shango character: “I used to read books on voodoo, in fact I built an entire voodoo library. Everything I said in my promos was real and legit. All the props were from voodoo stores. It was totally authentic. The effects guys worked with the staffs and sticks so that they all did something different. I had a bunch of them – some would shoot sparks, others had smoke and lights that came out of them.”

How Sid messed up the character: “Papa Shango was supposed to last much longer in the main event but Sid f—ed it up. It was supposed to be Sid and Warrior headlining SummerSlam [1992], but Sid didn’t want to do it and he quit. He had his own issues, he said Vince had brought him in under the promise of replacing Hogan as the top babyface and it wasn’t going the way it was supposed to. So Papa Shango was fed to Warrior instead. The problem was, with a character like Papa Shango, once the losses piled up, the character lost a lot of that mystique and invincibility, and it was all downhill fast from there.”

Papa Shango returning in 1997 but replaced by Kane: “A lot of people don’t know this, but Papa Shango was going to return in 1997. It was going to be a more gritty, realistic version with a mask instead of paint.They created the costume and the new entrance. But what happened was, the decision was then made to do Kane. I guess they felt there wasn’t enough room for two dark, supernatural characters, and so I became Kama Mustafa and they put me in The Nation. I’ve still got some 8×10 promos of me in the new mask and gear.”

Why Vince put The Rock in The Nation: “The Rock was put into The Nation to protect him. Vince had big plans for The Rock from day one and was worried that he had been getting bad advice from the wrong people. Some jealous dudes had been getting into his ear. So Vince put Rock in the Nation so he could benefit from the guidance of Ron [Simmons] and myself. It was the same thing with Mark Henry. Mark was a big long term investment that was getting some bad advice, learning some bad habits, and so Vince put him under myself and Ron for guidance. Both those guys were struggling.”

“Ahmed Johnson almost killed The Nation. He wanted to be ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin and he would go off script, he’d shoot, he did whatever he wanted out there. He was also pushing backstage for #2 Guy money. He didn’t understand. So…Ron made him understand. Ron beat his ass and that was it for him.”

Vince’s opinion of The Godfather: “Vince loved the gimmick. Loved it. He used to go to bat for me so many times – fighting the networks, fighting the executives. He did everything he could to keep the character as a central part of the show. Vince used to come to me and say, “Charles – he always called me Charles – you’re having too much fun out there. You should be paying me!” And that didn’t surprise me – Vince is the biggest pimp of them all!”

On the Attitude Era: “I got away with talking about weed so openly on TV because the network executives had no idea what I was saying. They didn’t understand the slang. They had no idea what a “fatty” or a “blunt” was, so I was able to say all this stuff and they had no clue. My friend in Cypress Hill said he was amazed at the shit I got away with.”

On almost joining WCW and the nWo: “I almost went to WCW to be Hogan’s enforcer in the nWo. I named my price, the contract was being drawn up, and then at the last minute, I got a call saying the contract was being retracted and there was no longer an offer for me. I was stunned, man, just stunned. I asked why, and it turned out that Virgil offered to do it for a third of the price because he wanted to be back on TV so bad. That dumb motherf—er cost us both.”

My favorite part is the Ahmed Johnson story.

I have two lame theories for Royal Rumble/Wrestlemania this year:

Ryback runs in and beats the crap out of Punk after a ref bump. Rock does the elbow and pins him, new champion.

Then a second referee or McMahon come down and disqualify Rock for Ryback's run-in. CM Punk retains.

This infuriates Rock who then starts feuding with Ryback by sneak attacking him and talking trash, which effectively turns Rock heel.

Ryback challenges Rock at Wrestlemania, which Rock finally accepts. Ryback beats Rock and looks like a million bucks.

Meanwhile Punk faces Lesnar at Wrestlemania in a "Heyman Guy vs. Heyman Guy" match.

Cena then clowns Rock, saying he couldn't beat a rookie at the biggest show of the year. This leads to heel Rock vs. Cena (rematch) which Cena wins.

OR

Ryback attacks Punk after a ref bump, Rock wins the match and the title. Punk claims he only lost because of Ryback, Ryback claims he should be champion because he has defeated Punk several times in theory but was screwed each time.

This leads to either a one-on-one with Rock and Ryback (which Ryback would win), a triple-threat (Rock, Ryback and Punk, which I really don't see happening) or a Fatal Four-Way (sadly the most likely option) between Rock, Punk, Cena and Ryback. Lesnar faces Undertaker or Orton in this scenario.

[quote name='diddy310']I imagine there's a lot of stories that end with "Ron beat his ass and that was it for him."[/QUOTE]

Likewise, a lot of stories about Virgil ending with some variant of "...that dumb motherfucker."

:lol: Wright sounds like he'd be a blast to hang out with, unless he stuck you with the bar tab. Not sure I truly believe the bit about executives or screeners not knowing what a "blunt" was. Didn't the dude have some joints airbrushed on his vest at a few points?

Ryback paired with the Rock? Far too early. Christ. Please. Ryback is just awful.

They want to build Ryback up, putting him against The Rock would send him to the moon. There's no way Rock would come back to job to Ryback, though.

You have six guys, potentially seven, in the main event picture for WM: Rock, Punk, Ryback, Lesnar, Cena, Undertaker, HHH (potentially). What do you do?

Lesnar vs Taker would be a given, but what do you do with the rest? Rock's going into WM as champ, no doubt about that.. do you think it'll be a fatal four way?

[quote name='KaneRobot']fucking Christ. Ryback is the worst. The WORST.

Mildly interested to see what the revamped Papa Shango looked like.[/QUOTE]

I agree on both counts. I'm not saying I would like to see what I just mentioned, just that it seems totally in place with WWE batshit booking logic.

Venkman, you put too much thought into your idea. This is WWE. Five-minute brainstorming and one-minute decision-making.

Is RAW still three whole hours? How the heck does that work? Watching clips from tonight's show. To be specific: Sandow-Ryder, Ziggler-Cena, The Shield promo, and Punk-Kane. Took, say, only 20 minutes. 25, tops. The best part was the fat lady in the front row during Ziggler-Cena. She had the expression of losing her last Twinkie to Twinkie AIDS as Ziggler hit his finisher. Had to rewind that for a second viewing. 26 minutes.

Safe to say: About three weeks away from Black, Moxley, and Samoas jobbing out to Ryback in a three-on-one handicap match.

Punk beats Rock at the Rumble via shenanigans. Punk shit talks Cena because he now has a win over The Rock. Cena overcomes the odds and beats them both in a triple threat at Mania.

Best part of Raw continues to be seeing Cesaro show up Ryback's strength on a weekly basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbGRYAvomo

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']Venkman, you put too much thought into your idea. This is WWE. Five-minute brainstorming and one-minute decision-making.

Is RAW still three whole hours? How the heck does that work? Watching clips from tonight's show. To be specific: Sandow-Ryder, Ziggler-Cena, The Shield promo, and Punk-Kane. Took, say, only 20 minutes. 25, tops. The best part was the fat lady in the front row during Ziggler-Cena. She had the expression of losing her last Twinkie to Twinkie AIDS as Ziggler hit his finisher. Had to rewind that for a second viewing. 26 minutes.

Safe to say: About three weeks away from Black, Moxley, and Samoas jobbing out to Ryback in a three-on-one handicap match.[/QUOTE]

They are going to get buried in order to earn their dues. Ever since Lesnar and Lashley took the ball and ran home with it, the company has made it so they will haze everyone through serious loses and seeing how they take them before making them into a name. Just look at how they're finally coming around on Ziggler.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hazing isn't an invention of the past decade.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

Ziggler is fantastic in the ring but as mentioned before his biggest obstacle is being named Dolph Ziggler...and really terrible entrance music. I'm really hoping that they don't shit the bed on this new stable as they did the Nexus (and let's not even talk about the Corre)

The name "Dolph Ziggler" really suits the character, in my opinion, as does his music. His music isn't something I'd listen to, or say I enjoy, but it suits Dolph.

Clearly you never had the joy of experiencing Booker Wee.

3534641:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']They are going to get buried in order to earn their dues. Ever since Lesnar and Lashley took the ball and ran home with it, the company has made it so they will haze everyone through serious loses and seeing how they take them before making them into a name. Just look at how they're finally coming around on Ziggler.[/QUOTE]

I understand paying one's dues. But there are better ways to do so than jobbing them all out to Ryback. Makes all of them look weak in one fell swoop. But then again, sure beats getting stuck with a shit gimmick (Regal).

[quote name='mykevermin']Hazing isn't an invention of the past decade.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of hazing,

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-ra...yfabe-revealing-raw-active-twitter-poll-to-be

Does WWE punish Danielson for revealing behind the curtain or what?

[quote name='Chase']I understand paying one's dues. But there are better ways to do so than jobbing them all out to Ryback. Makes all of them look weak in one fell swoop. But then again, sure beats getting stuck with a shit gimmick (Regal).

Speaking of hazing,

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-ra...yfabe-revealing-raw-active-twitter-poll-to-be

Does WWE punish Danielson for revealing behind the curtain or what?[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. I was only pointing out that it's been the company's modus operandi for a while. Every guy who has won either championship through Money in the Bank has been booked to be really weak. Sandow loses all the time. Clay loses all the time. Bryan loses all the time in singles competition. Prime Time Players. Ryder. And so on. The company ONLY just got behind Ziggler and Kofi.

The thing with Ryback is that Rollins, Reigns, and Ambrose have gotten the best of him three shows in a row. In order for Ryback to become a draw, he has to get revenge and do the old Stone Cold thing where he finally beats up the cronies. It's clear that audiences are enjoying Ryback for what he is and the "Feed Me More" chants have come a long way in getting him over. On the other hand, he is a terrible wrestler. But if the guy can put asses in the seats when the company is seeing its lowest ratings in a decade, I don't know if I can fault them for putting him in the main event scene.

The company needs to keep Ryback looking strong as he is far more over than guys like Sheamus or Big Show. What might happen is that Ziggler picks up the World Title from Show at TLC, and then eventually feuds with Ryback, who will take it from Ziggler at Wrestlemania as the company would really want to make a moment out of it. In the meantime, although Rollins, Reigns, and Ambrose might win the tag titles, I also expect them to job on television for the next eight to twelve months before being split up and repackaged.

Reigns is much worse than Ryback btw. Did anyone see his godawful kicks to Ryback on RAW? They're worse than Ric Flair's at age 63. Hell I bet Foley could do a better job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iWsqSQ2kyCE#t=196s

[quote name='Brak']The name "Dolph Ziggler" really suits the character, in my opinion, as does his music. His music isn't something I'd listen to, or say I enjoy, but it suits Dolph.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree about the music, while maybe not something I look up on Youtube on a regular basis I do think it suits the character quite well. And in this era of theme music (aka awful ear-bleeding crap) I think it's one the better done ones.

Also, off topic from this, I just got done watching the greatest falls count anywhere matches on bluray. I enjoyed it for the most part, some entertaining AE stuff on there for sure. There were two Shane McMcahon matches on there, both entertaining as hell to me. I may be completely alone on this but man do I miss Shane. To me he was just plain entertaining, he had nearly Vince level charisma/swagger and he was actually a decent in ring performer, his matches always entertained me. Sometimes I wonder how things would be different today if he had stayed in the business and taken over for Vince. I always appreciate wrestling more when there is some sort of authority figure who clashes with the talent on a regular basis, Shane would've been great at that just like his pops. I respect him for leaving the business and doing something respectable with his life but it doesn't mean I can't miss him from time to time.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman'] I'm really hoping that they don't shit the bed on this new stable as they did the Nexus (and let's not even talk about the Corre)[/QUOTE]

Six months and they will be broken up. Same time next year no one will even remember they existed. Im sure at least two of them will be multiple time IC/USA or Tag champions and one of them will be released or just thrown back to the development leagues until they repackage him.

Dolphs problem isnt his name or music, its the inability to get over with the fans. Sure, he is great fun to watch in the ring but once he gets in front of the mic no one cares. He either needs to learn to entertain people with his words, or start going to the gym with HHH and get the HHH-buddy push whether or not anyone likes him. *cough* Sheamus *cough*.

[quote name='Chase']She had the expression of losing her last Twinkie to Twinkie AIDS as Ziggler hit his finisher.[/QUOTE]

Just... :applause:. Wow.

As far as Ryback goes, the more I watch him, the more I think they're trying to make him imitate Rhyno (even though he looks like Goldberg) in the ring. Reminds me a lot of the old ECW Rhino.

If anyone here collects Rumblers and is looking to sell them, I'm interested in a few. Just PM me - I'll be able to buy some in a couple days.

[quote name='Brak']If anyone here collects Rumblers and is looking to sell them, I'm interested in a few. Just PM me - I'll be able to buy some in a couple days.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine kind of off and on collects them. He has a love/hate relationship with them. PM me which ones you are looking for and he and I can keep a look out for you.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I am so bidding on this.

Ryback being compared to Rhyno? UGH.[/QUOTE]

Let's not jump the gun.. I said I think they're trying to make him imitate Rhino. I certainly never said he was anything LIKE Rhino.

Also, b/c it's always hilarious to see Chris Daniels with hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4RIgMUhgo

[quote name='Spyder187']Wes Brisco really needed someone to stop him from getting those tatts.....[/QUOTE]

Clearly he doesn't have any true friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back