The Gobbledy G00ker Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new announcer with Kevin Kelly on ROH is awful. They said he'll be there for a few weeks (i.e., one TV taping) so hopefully Nigel will be back after that.

[quote name='neocisco']The new announcer with Kevin Kelly on ROH is awful. They said he'll be there for a few weeks (i.e., one TV taping) so hopefully Nigel will be back after that.[/QUOTE]

Was it anyone of note? or is it a big spoiler to the Honor Lives storyline?

Also, PWG is amazing, the DVDs I ordered from their 5 for $40 Cyber Monday orders arrived yesterday.

[quote name='neocisco']The new announcer with Kevin Kelly on ROH is awful. They said he'll be there for a few weeks (i.e., one TV taping) so hopefully Nigel will be back after that.[/QUOTE]

Apparently a new announcer will be introduced at Final Battle so this jabroni will be gone after the next few weeks of TV.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can't move a thread quickly if there's not a fucking thing worth talking about. WWE's product is hot trash dinner on a hot trash tray right now. It's so astonishingly dull.

Boardwalk Empire's finale was pretty magnificent, though. ;)

I'm not fully caught up on TNA yet, but I am enjoying what I am watching of it. I can get behind a few of those wrestlers.[/QUOTE]
I really need to go back and watch that again. Richard man....holy shit.:applause:

[quote name='HydroX']I'm waiting for the inevitable wrestling gif explosion to help move the thread along.[/QUOTE]

I take it this is how you feel about the thread?

WOlCQ.gif

[quote name='HydroX']I'm waiting for the inevitable wrestling gif explosion to help move the thread along.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Didn't we get yelled at for that last time?

[quote name='Clak']I really need to go back and watch that again. Richard man....holy shit.:applause:[/QUOTE]

Damn right....Richard fucking Harrow!!!

MzlZ0.gif

Not sure if anyone has mentioned that the full 2013 release schedule is up on WWE's site, but here it is.

WWE TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2012 01/15/13
Best of Raw & SmackDown 2012 01/29/13
The Best of Nitro Volume 2 02/12/13
Royal Rumble 2013 02/26/13
Bret Hart Unreleased Matches 03/05/13
Elimination Chamber 2013 03/19/13
Mick Foley Biography 04/16/13
The Best of In Your House 04/30/13
WrestleMania 29 05/14/13
Top 25 Rivalries 05/28/13
Extreme Rules 2013 06/18/13
Goldberg 06/25/13
TBD PPV 07/16/13
ECW Unreleased Vol. 2 07/30/13
Money In The Bank 2013 08/13/13
Best of MSG 08/27/13
Best of War Games 09/10/13
SummerSlam 2013 09/17/13
Top 20 Divas Countdown 09/24/13
Triple H Biography 10/08/13
Night of Champions 2013 10/15/13
Money In The Bank Anthology 10/29/13
Over the Limit 2013 11/05/13
History of WWE 11/19/13
Hell in a Cell 2013 11/26/13
Raw 20th Anniversary Box Set 12/03/13
Survivor Series 2013 12/24/13
Best WWE PPV's 12/31/13

I wonder how many copies they sell of "best of" video releases for recent years. Something like "best of In Your House" is appealing to me, but if I never own a video release with a Kofi Kingston vs Sheamus match (or some similar modern tripe), I'll be more than happy.

More WWF releases now that they don't have to edit the motherfuck out of them!

[quote name='Yggy87']Was it anyone of note? or is it a big spoiler to the Honor Lives storyline?[/QUOTE]

No, his name is Caleb Seltzer.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Apparently a new announcer will be introduced at Final Battle so this jabroni will be gone after the next few weeks of TV.[/QUOTE]

I finished watching the show and I think I was a little harsh in my initial assessment of him. He definitely wasn't good but I wouldn't say he was awful either. He was far too dependent on cliches but considering his probable lack of experience he wasn't that bad.

Richards/Elgin was a great match and you all should definitely check it out when it's available to everyone tomorrow on rohwrestling.com.

[quote name='mykevermin']I wonder how many copies they sell of "best of" video releases for recent years. Something like "best of In Your House" is appealing to me, but if I never own a video release with a Kofi Kingston vs Sheamus match (or some similar modern tripe), I'll be more than happy.

More WWF releases now that they don't have to edit the motherfuck out of them![/QUOTE]

After some quick Googling, this was recently released data for 2012, which should give you a rough ballpark idea of how those "best of" collections do:

The following October 2012 WWE business figures have been reported by The Wrestling Observer:

-WWE DVD shipment numbers, as of 10/31, are as follows:

Wrestlemania 28 sold 230,000 units.
The Rock DVD sold 150,000 units.
The Undertaker DVD sold 112,000 units.
The CM Punk DVD sold 105,000.
This year's Royal Rumble DVD sold 89,000 units.

[quote name='bhk']After some quick Googling, this was recently released data for 2012, which should give you a rough ballpark idea of how those "best of" collections do:[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. But do they sell 88K? 3K? Are they profitable?

There's a lot of crap on that list.

[quote name='mykevermin']Perhaps. But do they sell 88K? 3K? Are they profitable?

There's a lot of crap on that list.[/QUOTE]

Well, take whatever number they provide you for one DVD title, and multiply by 20 (the cost), and you get decent profits, probably enough to pay one Brock Lesnar Appearance.

WWE CFO George Barrios says that three hour RAWs are here to stay and apparently are a huge "success" for them. Also apparently the WWE Network (remember that) is still on.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I might argue for Jericho, but JBL is definitely high on the list.[/QUOTE]

I agree, sir. Jericho did a great job. Set an archetype for a type of heel. Sorta like how Steve Austin set a standard for bad-boy babyfaces.

And I have a lot of love for Brotista, too. The whole persona and that fantastic "kissing babies and hugging fat chicks" line.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, he never once tried to play a cool heel, so I'd say that sets him apart significantly.[/QUOTE]

While I think Punk has done a good job on the mic to complete his heel turn, he's still more a tweener. One reason is because, to borrow what you said, he still tries to play the "cool heel." Additionally, I blame the current batch of live crowds. These kids need to do their homework and learn how to be a real crowd.

[quote name='Chase']While I think Punk has done a good job on the mic to complete his heel turn, he's still more a tweener. One reason is because, to borrow what you said, he still tries to play the "cool heel." Additionally, I blame the current batch of live crowds. These kids need to do their homework and learn how to be a real crowd.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I'm not into Punk as a heel. Maybe it seems too forced, or he's not doing anything innovative at all. Heck, maybe it's that I like Paul Heyman, therefore I find it hard to really dislike Punk. But more than anything right now, I'm just not interested in him at all. I don't like or dislike him. When I saw that the "lie detector" segment was going to close the show, I straight up deleted my recording of the show and changed the channel. Just murdered my interest in the show, which was weak to begin with.

It could be that his main foils (Cena, Ryback) are two guys who I don't care about in the slightest. A good heel is someone who you want to see get the shit kicked out of him. JBL was *awesome* in that role, in that he essentially melded a "wrestling bad guy" persona with a "Fox News Commentator" persona. More than that, he appeared on Fox News *as* JBL *as* a commentator, and you couldn't see any clear lines separating him on a news channel from what he said/did in the ring. It was pretty magnificent and straight up fucking postmodern. I wanted to see him get destroyed. I also really liked Eddie Guerrero, so his feud with JBL was easy to follow. Cena and Ryback can go hit the convention circuit early as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to see Punk beaten so badly that I'd get behind those two chuckleheads to cheer against him. He needs a good foil; both parts are necessary. I can get behind the interplay of Batman and the Joker. I can't get into Aquaman versus the Joker. That's how I feel about Punk and Ryback/Cena; and it's also why I like (to some degree) the interplay b/w Rock and Punk and the occasional banter b/w Steve Austin and Punk.

[quote name='mykevermin']. . . It could be that his main foils (Cena, Ryback) are two guys who I don't care about in the slightest. A good heel is someone who you want to see get the shit kicked out of him . . . [/QUOTE]

Indeed, sir. I think WWE has been doing everything wrong in regards to how faces and heels should behave. Faces should try to behave like underdogs. Take a look at Hulk Hogan's matches in the early 1990s. He gets the crap beat out of him, and then makes a comeback to win. Maybe it's because WWE has made five-minute matches their standard, but people like John Cena, Randy Orton, and especially Sheamus don't put over the heels enough. No one is a threat to the faces. Maybe Brock Lesnar, but he's not a regular wrassler. And that's one reason why people can't get over. Shorter matches have really been one of the worst decisions WWE has ever made. I wouldn't even watch WWE if they didn't put up clips for their shows. I can't stomach their product for longer than 15-20 minutes, which is how long it takes to get caught up every week.

And that Miz-Punk lie detector segment was atrocious. If they're trying a babyface push for Miz, they're doing a real shit job. Punk was more of a face during that segment than Miz.

It also takes me 15-20 minutes to catch up with TNA, each week, and I much prefer the time I spend watching their clips. They are slow-cooking this Aces and Eights angle, and I've become a believer. They did a promo with Devon/D-Von, last week, and it's perhaps the best vignette I've seen in wrasslin a while. Great atmosphere and great delivery by Devon. Adds importance to the TV title to top it off. Who's the WWE Intercontinental champion again? I couldn't tell you.

Edit: Here's the promo. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRV_ScrEfI

Good point on the treatment of heels. Ziggler beat Randy Orton at the last PPV (Survivor Series?), and has gone on to job to Cena twice in two weeks in five minutes each time. Can't take him seriously now as a potential main eventer. Not in the near future, at any rate.

Not entirely sure why but the TNT announcers in the Phoenix/Dallas NBA game were talking about Ricky Starr, Antonio Rocca, and Wahoo McDaniel for a bit in the 3rd quarter.

Sometimes I think Johnson is the most unintentionally funny wrestler ever. They always had him play the badass tough guy, but the dude is hilarious.

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']Rock's Cheat Day

2fxYx.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mitch079']The loser on that is his toilet.[/QUOTE]

Toilet-Fail-2.gif

[quote name='musha666']And about $21k more than it deserved.[/QUOTE]

I'm on my way out the door and don't have time to respond properly, so:

fuck you, asshole.

I love reading all the shit talking that happens every time that project gets brought up. Nothing brings about more reaction than that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back