The Gobbledy G00ker Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the guy behind PWX rape a baby corpse or something similarly horrible of which I'm unaware? The game gets heat like it spat on Lawler in Memphis.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The Pro Wrestling X Kickstarter is about to fall more than $50,000 short of its goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prowrestlingx/pro-wrestling-x-bringing-back-classic-wrestling-ga[/QUOTE]

Doing a Kickstarter before releasing the PWX: Uprising game or even a demo or even passing the Steam Greenlight was a terrible idea. I'm a supporter of this guy and his project but he lacks so much business and marketing sense. Its one thing to ask people to click a button for non-monetary support on Steam Greenlight, its a completely different ball game to ask people to pledge their money in advance through a Kickstarter like this on a project a decade in the making.

Had this guy released the PWX: Uprising game and it was decent, he would have had much better odds of getting people to give him money to back a "fuller" game despite the lack of marketing and business skills. Instead, failing with this Kickstarter now casts a huge shadow of doubt on PWX: Uprising from a business and marketing perspective even if the game actually turns out good.

He should have learned a lesson from Jeff Katz and the whole Pro Wrestling Revolution/Retribution thing. That Kickstarter wasn't going to make it's goal on pure fan donations, so Katz used his Hollywood connections to get investors to contribute a boat load of the money to the Kickstarter at the last second to make it look like a success. And that's how the "wrestling media" basically reported on PWR - as a success, despite the fact it was really a failure from a fan support perspective and needed a bailout.

A prime example of Dave Wishnowski failure with marketing this game and the Kickstarter is the plea for fans to reach out to Owen Good of Kotaku. Kotaku regularly reports on gaming Kickstarters, even recommending some to donate to. Kotaku also regularly covers pro wrestling antics even if they have nothing to do to gaming. It's astounding Wishnowski couldn't find a better way to reach out to media like Kotaku to drum up interest in this project other than begging fans to write in. This project's story easily lends to an interesting article. 10 years in the making, a never give up attitude, N64 nostalgia, a product that is so close to hitting market - this shit writes itself, but Wishnowski hasn't figured out how to market that to the world aside from crappy YouTube videos and some not so well chosen screen shots. He's successfully put together pitches for some outside investors and for the freaking Canadian government to get funding, but he hasn't figured out how to reach out and advertise to the people who he needs to buy his game. He should have ridden his association with Lance Storm and Storm Academy to greater lengths, but it doesn't seem he capitalized on that either.

I'm sure the game will eventually hit market and hopefully it will be decent and fun. But there's no doubt that this has been a mess from an advertising/marketing/business perspective.

[quote name='kodave']I'm sure the game will eventually hit market and hopefully it will be decent and fun.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it won't. It's a hunk of shit now, it will continue to forever be a hunk of shit, and it will go down as the worst vaporware ever.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The Pro Wrestling X Kickstarter is about to fall more than $50,000 short of its goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prowrestlingx/pro-wrestling-x-bringing-back-classic-wrestling-ga[/QUOTE]

[quote name='musha666']And about $21k more than it deserved.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Genocidal']I'm on my way out the door and don't have time to respond properly, so:

fuck you, asshole.[/QUOTE]

1eHpt.gif

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I love reading all the shit talking that happens every time that project gets brought up. Nothing brings about more reaction than that game.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps PWX is the biggest heel of the past decade?

The character models were terrible. The animations were horrid. And it looks like they haven't been able to get things together in years.

Where these guys should have started out was in getting at least two or three really good high poly models made up of some high-profile independent wrestlers. A good character artist charges around $1000 per wrestler. It might be a little expensive, but it would have shown everyone that they were damn serious about getting the project off the ground. Another $3000 should have gone into making an actual arena. Finally they would incorporate the wrestlers moveset so they could prove to everyone that they were capable of creating an authentic wrestling game.

Honestly, if I were making an independent wrestling game, the most important thing for me would be to setup a network that would recruit wrestlers to sell their merchandise, shirts, and DVDs through the game portal and leave video promo updates through YouTube. Wrestlers also be able to lay out their schedule for when and where they'd be performing on their profile page. Players in return would be able to leave feedback on promos, for better or worse.

Once you get the wrestlers in on it, the fans won't be that far behind.

if punk was really hurt then why wouldnt he be stripped of the title... i thought they had to defend every 30 days or lose it

i say punk was never hurt

[quote name='slidecage']if punk was really hurt then why wouldnt he be stripped of the title... i thought they had to defend every 30 days or lose it

i say punk was never hurt[/QUOTE]

Go away.

He's only going to miss a few weeks, so there's no point in screwing up one of their most important storylines.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I love reading all the shit talking that happens every time that project gets brought up. Nothing brings about more reaction than that game.[/QUOTE]

The idea sounds awesome to me in theory, but they kept showing the same ugly screenshots and animations over and over with ZERO evolution. The guy promoting the game would refer to No Mercy (or N64 wrestling games in general) every 60 seconds, which got old real quick.

Well met. However I think Colt dressing up as the Iron Sheik with a "fuck the Brian Blair" sign would have been equally hilarious.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Why all the hate for.... THE NEXT NO MERCY?! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Duke Nukem Forever.

Agreed with all points hit on Pro Wrestling X. I donated five years ago and have yet to even play a demo of it. Three strikes and you're out hopefully.

[quote name='mykevermin']"Don't blink, you'll miss something."

Like Colt Cabana's WWE career.[/QUOTE]

I had the exact same thought but got caught up in the Punk gif. Thanks for picking up my slack. ;)

[quote name='Tsel']Go away.

He's only going to miss a few weeks, so there's no point in screwing up one of their most important storylines.[/QUOTE]

dont you mean one of the most stupid story lines in years... and you wonder why the ppv buy rates have fallen so badly

and point is dont defend for 30 days other had had their titles stripped

[quote name='Genocidal']I'm on my way out the door and don't have time to respond properly, so:

fuck you, asshole.[/QUOTE]

I was unaware that this was your game!

Seriously though, anyone dumb enough to give money to a game striving to be as good as a 10+ year old N64 title (and failing) should stop and really think things out. The graphics and animation (I know, they arent everything) are horrendous. I would have failed out of college if I turned in animations as bad as these. As someone who absolutely loved the N64 games (more VPW2 than No Mercy) I cannot even play these anymore because time has finally caught up with them. You always have these idiots claiming a wrestling game will be just like No Mercy, and then when you listen to them tell why you can see they have NO clue what made those games great to begin with.

I remember a good 4 or 5 years ago when this guy started posting screens and videos of the game. All this time later it looks exactly the same. And you think donating $21,000 to this guy so he can have Lance Storm! be an adviser on the game is a good use of money?

Evolve 18 iPPV Live Results. Full results.

Winner of the first four matches advance to a "Four Way Freestyle" later on tonight.
*AR Fox (7-4) def Tony Neese (2-4). Fun opening match.

*Masada (2-0) def Papadon (0-1) Masada being from New Jersey getting a decent reaction. Horrible match. Larry Dallas afterwards offered a managerial contract to Papadon after the match. Papadon signed it.

*Improv match between Larry Dallas vs Martie Bell (no this is not part of the "Four Way Freestyle" build up). This is really awful. What the fuck did I order?

*Rich Swann (2-2) def Jigsaw (1-3) on going. Decent match until the last few minutes which really got crazy.

*Jon Davis (5-3) def Chuck Taylor (9-5) next. Jon Davis did the slooowest walk to the ring ever taking seriously FIVE MINUTES staring down at the crowd. I swear to go this guy might try to kill someone in the crowd with that cold stare. After that long entrance... we get Chuck Taylor coming out with Swamp Thing. Mid match we get a spot involving an invisible grenade killing Swamp Thing. Post match we have Johnny Gargano getting in the face of Jon Davis calling him fake.

*Four Way Freestyle is now AR Fox vs Masada vs Rich Swann vs Jon Davis later tonight.

*Tons of announcements for future Evolve events in California including Jon Morrison appearing at the upcoming California shows. Luscious Latasha than ran out and said she wants to be Jon Morrison's manager. Von Eerie then came out and took down Luscious Latasha. Von Eerie then cut a promo... on what... I have no idea. Don't ask.

*El Generico & Samuray Del Sol (1-0) def The Super Smash Brothers (2-3). Great tag match. Lots of well done spots and a few really innovative ones.

*Rich Swann (3-2) won the Four Way Freestyle. Ending seemed rushed.

*DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Title Match Johnny Gargano retains over Sami Callihan.

And my review... spoilered....

Now to be honest going into Evolve 18 I wasn't very familiar with the promotion. Yeah I knew who a few people on the show are but that's more from familiarity from other promotions such as ROH. With that said and done I felt this show had its moments of great wrestling. Several matches really stood out to me as worth watching such as the Generico/Del Sol vs SSB tag match, AR Fox vs Neese, and Swann vs Jigsaw. Not to mention Colt Cabana being on commentary for the few first matches really lead to some great laughs.

I did however have several problems with this show. First some of the ODD (and bad) booking. You have one segment involving an impromptu match that had man on woman violence that was so awful that you could hear a pin drop in the building. Continue this with the advertised and hyped up Four Way Freestyle match being so rushed and hurried due to time constants since they had to make sure the CZW show that's taking place at the same venue started on time.... yet we have five minutes of Jon Davis staring down the crowd earlier in the show, the stupid impromptu match I mentioned earlier, and then the two women fighting over who will be John Morrison's manager which featured Luscious Latasha who I swear has to be the worst actress I've seen in wrestling since Claire Lynch. You know you have to be that god awful that even the play by play announcer doesn't even bother to know your name.

At the end this show was decent but hampered with some really bad booking along the way. The few matches I mentioned are worth watching for sure. But honestly outside of that (and Cabana's commentary on the first few matches) this show is pretty skip-able.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this is why he haven't seen Harold lately on Raw:

WWE are distancing themselves from South California-based independent wrestler Scorpio Sky after the ten-year grappling veteran posted anti-gay messages on his Twitter account.

Sky, who appeared as “Harold” in one of Daniel Bryan and Kane’s anger management classes in August, wrote the word "$$$$$$" on Twitter and attacked people who didn't like it.

A wrestling fan who argued with Sky via Twitter over his use of the anti-gay slur contacted WWE about the wrestler’s language. WWE Fan Services responded: “WWE strongly believes that everyone should be treated with respect and this principle is the foundation of our anti-bullying initiative, “Be a STAR”. Mr. Andrews no longer works for WWE and we have no plans to work with him in the future.”

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I guess this is why he haven't seen Harold lately on Raw:[/QUOTE]

I doubt Herold had much of a shelf life, especially once the group therapy skits ended. Regardless, what an idiotic thing for him to do and burn that bridge. Especially since I think he declined a TNA contract to go do skits at WWE. I guess he can enjoy working forever for whatever NWA Hollywood is calling themselves these days.

For more on that Scorpio Sky story:

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/11/28/pro-wrestler-scorpio-sky-loves-to-tweet-$$$$$$-knows-its-offensive/

The forum censors are toasting the link - Replace the dollar signs with the F word used to slur homosexuals.

Apparently being sick is for $$$$$$s.

scorpio_sky_tweet_1.gif

Wow. He just literally invoked the Michael Scott Defense:

"You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded."

scorpio_sky_tweet_1.gif

That is right there with the whole "I don't say the N word to black people to be a racist, I say it because I am using it as a sign of affection just like they do!"

Would WWE let him keep the rights to the name though? I would think that would be a deal breaker on whether he uses the name Colt Cabana.

If Punk has enough pull to get a title reign longer than one year, then I would suppose that he has enough pull to have WWE let one guy keep the rights to his name.

And what about Punk? Did he sign over his rights, or what?

[quote name='gareman']Would WWE let him keep the rights to the name though? I would think that would be a deal breaker on whether he uses the name Colt Cabana.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the same thing. He's put in a lot of work to establish his name and I can't see him giving it up unless he just get a ridiculous offer (which he won't).

I would love to see Colt Cabana actually wrestle. I've listened to his podcasts for well over a year now and find him pretty entertaining. Haven't actually seen the dude wrestle before, outside random oldass ROH multi-man matches.

Put him in a fued / tag team with fellow internet darling Zack Ryder. Betcha the IWC would eat that up!

I got The Day in from Netflix yesterday and for a WWE Pictures film, it wasn't terrible.

My main gripes about it are first and foremost, when it comes to the blood and gore special effects, I have seen better in peoples crappy YouTube videos. Every time someone got shot, slashed, impaled, stabbed or whatever and there was blood it just looked crappy. I don't know what visual effects program/studio they are using, but good god it took me out of the movie at times. The biggest one was when something happened to one of the main characters. I won't spoil anything really but all I can say is it looked so underproduced that it look shitty and 4th rate at best.

My second issue was while the story was pretty decent, it could have been flushed out a little better. More of a backstory explaining wtf happened to the world would have been nice. It could have also used a little bit more in the ways of character development, but when compared to the shitty effects in the movie these are nothing major. Also, on the plus side there were NO WWE talents in the movie, which honestly was a major plus. Well, at least I didn't see any WWE talents in it, others might spot a jobber or something in there that I am not familiar with though.

All things being equal, it wasn't a bad way to waste almost 90 minutes that would have been spent playing a game or something anyways. I wouldn't buy this movie, but renting/Redboxing/Netflixing it is something I would recommend.

I am not a huge fan of what they have done to the AJ Styles character lately, nor am I a huge fan of the ego driven character that Daniels portrays either, but the match they just had was honestly a match of the year contender. It was a solid match, told a story, and had an outcome that really sold the end of the fued between the 2 and went with the current character angles. Something that WWE really is lacking lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back