The Great "Tron" DVD hunt - Sell now if you own.

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(I know this isn't a deal, but since deal requests and other topics discussing movies tend to reside in here, I figured I would post it here.)

Actually, this might actually be a deal is you own a copy of the Tron DVD.

I figured with the new flick coming out, I would take a trip back to the past and rewatch the original. Since Netflix doesn't have it and most of the physical rental stores around here have closed down, I figured I would just pick up a copy off of Amazon.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with this idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-20th-Ann...OCMR/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Jeff-Bridges/dp/1558908358/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-9

Holy shit. Ebay, Buy.com, everywhere, this is the price.

Apparently, this is an out of print DVD, and the blu ray doesn't make its debut until sometime next year. Personally, I'll be hoping to get lucky at some mom and pop stores in the area.

If you own a copy of this DVD, I suggest you sell it now. Before all the hype for the new movie, the DVD prices were < $20, and I expect them to be less than that when the blu ray is released next year.

I'll have you know that watching the old movie isn't the only prerequisite for proving yourself worthy enough to view the new one coming out! You must also play the original Tron arcade game. Luckily, it was released on Xbox Live Arcade awhile ago for those of you that don't have access to the original arcade board. :D

[quote name='Demolition Man']You do realize who owns and runs Half.com right?[/QUOTE]

Of course, but the community feels completely different between Half & eBay. It's almost the difference between CAG and GameFAQs.

Someone bought a new/sealed copy for $145 today. This is getting ridiculous. Just crazy enough to make me actually list mine on eBay. They could have bought a new copy on Half.com for $100, my theory gets supported with new data daily.

If what was posted about Disney not wanting to rerelease it prior to the new one is true, I can sort of see where they are coming from. The original Tron is not a bad movie by any stretch, but it really hasn't aged particularly well, and the film itself is definitely not for everyone. I hold the original Tron up alongside Blade Runner where I can appreciate it for being a precursor and inspiration for a lot of other sci-fi movies, but the movie itself just isn't that good. If Disney rereleased the original Tron prior to this one, I could easily see how it might turn off Joe Movie Goer.

Holy crap! Thanks for pointing this out. I have a mint copy of the original white release and a sealed copy of the 20th anniversary. Ebay here we come.

[quote name='Ruined']
From hearing that interview it sounds like the Blu-ray of the original Tron will have some significant differences/digital enhancements over the original film. Apparently the glow was manipulated, among other things. Its possible the 20th anniv edition will be the last DVD with the "original" Tron on it and thus may continue to retain value even after the BD comes out.[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like it might be original Star Wars on VHS versus Star Wars on DVD scenario again. Hmmm.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I bought the 20th Anniversary Edition way back in 2002. Debated selling, but I think I'll keep it if they're gonna "remaster" it. I'm sure I'll get it on :br: when it's cheap.

[quote name='shrike4242']Uh,you do know when the movie came out, right?

1982 isn't going to have the same class of effects as 2010. Not a fair comparison.

Wiki article for it, since the Disney site has Tron Legacy all over it when you look for Tron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(film)[/QUOTE]

I know...I was just saying its a huge leap in special effects from the first one.

[quote name='wargod']I'll have you know that watching the old movie isn't the only prerequisite for proving yourself worthy enough to view the new one coming out! You must also play the original Tron arcade game. Luckily, it was released on Xbox Live Arcade awhile ago for those of you that don't have access to the original arcade board. :D[/QUOTE]

Ugh, except the XBLA port of Tron is so, so horribly bad-- sound's wrong, controls suck (and why didn't they add an option to use the spinner on the Madcatz arcade stick?!!?!? why why WHY??), emulation speed is off.

If it's your only option, it's ok, but it really does a mockery of what an awesome game Tron was. (and Discs of Tron)

Tempting, but I'm not sure if I could part with my copy. It's one of my favorite movies and hearing that the next release might has some edits worries me.

[quote name='vaxick']Tempting, but I'm not sure if I could part with my copy. It's one of my favorite movies and hearing that the next release might has some edits worries me.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I remember being pretty damn excited when the anniversary dvd came out and going to BestBuy on release day to get it. Tron is my favorite sci-fi film and I would not part with the disc for $200. It will be a day one purchase when it comes to blu-ray too.

yup, i regret for not buying this for $9.99 from BB last year (if I recall shrike, you recommended for all of us to go get it at the time..)..I wonder if any B&M stores would just happen to have a copy..I don't know if its been said on the first 2 pages, but I'm 99% confident that when Legacy is released on disc, the original will be re-released right alongside of it, OR maybe tucked in with Legacy as a nice bonus!

If you're not a fan of the movie, by all means sell it now.

If you are a fan of Tron, not so fast. These DVD editions will be the last "true" versions available. The new blu/dvd editions next year will be altered. Mark my words. I can predict the future btw (freebie: Pat's win Superbowl XLV).

How old are you guys? LOL. At 36 I'm guessing I'm one of the elderly members of this site, but I grew up with TRON and I think there's a lot of misinformation in this thread about the film and its rep.

I'm a bit surprised by the people saying the original TRON had "lower class effects" than the new one. In 1982 TRON's F/X were absolutely AS cutting edge as what you are seeing now. In fact it was a milestone for the use of CGI in film, a landmark -- for its time. You couldn't see anything more "cutting edge" than the FX of TRON in 1982.

It was not, however, a great movie -- audiences weren't crazy about it, most critics didn't like it, and generally it was a financial disappointment. Some people even called it a flop. So TRON was never BLADE RUNNER, which had a big cult following despite the fact it also under-performed at the box-office in 1982. The two movies couldn't be further apart in terms of how people viewed them, but I think TRON has always been viewed as a nostalgia trip for those of us who grew up in the '80s or played the video games. It's not a great movie, but it was fun, and I think it's actually held up better than it played back in 1982 provided you understand the era in which it was made.

I don't believe for a second that Disney wanted to separate the new TRON from the old one. If that were true, why is this movie a direct sequel with Jeff Bridges playing not just his old role but also Clu in the form of a CGI'd 1982 Jeff Bridges? It's not a remake, it's not one of these "re-imaginings" -- it's an honest to goodness SEQUEL aimed at both nostalgia freaks and younger viewers who think it looks cool. :)

Also, the "remastered" TRON showed up on HDNet movies earlier this summer -- it looked great, and while some of the color timing might have been tweaked, none of the film was re-cut or "digitally altered" like the STAR WARS Special Editions. There are no new effects that were added to it either. The movie that you'll see on Blu Ray, from what everyone said, is going to be the original film remastered for HD.

That said, if you've got the old DVD, sell it asap as has been said! I made the stupid mistake of selling it a few months ago thinking Disney was going to re-issue it in time for the release of the new movie. IMO it was a HUGE mistake by Disney not captializing on the new movie by having the old DVD out there in print or re-issued with new content. As you can see from the secondary market prices, very obviously there is a HEALTHY demand for this title right now.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']How old are you guys? LOL. At 36 I'm guessing I'm one of the elderly members of this site, but I grew up with TRON and I think there's a lot of misinformation in this thread about the film and its rep.

I'm a bit surprised by the people saying the original TRON had "lower class effects" than the new one. In 1982 TRON's F/X were absolutely AS cutting edge as what you are seeing now. In fact it was a milestone for the use of CGI in film, a landmark -- for its time. You couldn't see anything more "cutting edge" than the FX of TRON in 1982.

It was not, however, a great movie -- audiences weren't crazy about it, most critics didn't like it, and generally it was a financial disappointment. Some people even called it a flop. So TRON was never BLADE RUNNER, which had a big cult following despite the fact it also under-performed at the box-office in 1982. The two movies couldn't be further apart in terms of how people viewed them, but I think TRON has always been viewed as a nostalgia trip for those of us who grew up in the '80s or played the video games. It's not a great movie, but it was fun, and I think it's actually held up better than it played back in 1982 provided you understand the era in which it was made.

I don't believe for a second that Disney wanted to separate the new TRON from the old one. If that were true, why is this movie a direct sequel with Jeff Bridges playing not just his old role but also Clu in the form of a CGI'd 1982 Jeff Bridges? It's not a remake, it's not one of these "re-imaginings" -- it's an honest to goodness SEQUEL aimed at both nostalgia freaks and younger viewers who think it looks cool. :)

Also, the "remastered" TRON showed up on HDNet movies earlier this summer -- it looked great, and while some of the color timing might have been tweaked, none of the film was re-cut or "digitally altered" like the STAR WARS Special Editions. There are no new effects that were added to it either. The movie that you'll see on Blu Ray, from what everyone said, is going to be the original film remastered for HD.

That said, if you've got the old DVD, sell it asap as has been said! I made the stupid mistake of selling it a few months ago thinking Disney was going to re-issue it in time for the release of the new movie. IMO it was a HUGE mistake by Disney not captializing on the new movie by having the old DVD out there in print or re-issued with new content. As you can see from the secondary market prices, very obviously there is a HEALTHY demand for this title right now.[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing that HDNet Movies' version is from a digital print that screened 10 years ago at Disney's El Capitan Theater with no color tweaks. It still looked damn good though. The Blu-ray should have Lisberger's color corrected version.

Traded the "original" 20th rerelease years ago and bought it again for 10 just to get that free Alice ticket. Consider it gone as I can wait for the Blu Ray which I'd put good money on getting a release in conjunction on the Legacy Blu Ray release.

Thanks for the heads up OP!

Honestly I wouldn't mind selling my copy.......haven't watched it in years and I take good care of my dvd's..... No doubt the blu ray will come with a DC/DVD copy anyways :|

I have my still-shrinkwrapped TRON on eBay now. Figured that I haven't watched it up to this point that I might as well sell it and wait for the inevitable Blu-ray release. I did the same for my copy of Flash Gordon that I used to own years ago.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']How old are you guys? LOL. At 36 I'm guessing I'm one of the elderly members of this site, but I grew up with TRON and I think there's a lot of misinformation in this thread about the film and its rep.

That said, if you've got the old DVD, sell it asap as has been said! I made the stupid mistake of selling it a few months ago thinking Disney was going to re-issue it in time for the release of the new movie. IMO it was a HUGE mistake by Disney not captializing on the new movie by having the old DVD out there in print or re-issued with new content. As you can see from the secondary market prices, very obviously there is a HEALTHY demand for this title right now.[/QUOTE]

Well, I got you by 10 years.. I watched it in the theaters when it came out and I thought the move was really well done. I watched it again a few days ago and it was better than I remembered.

My brothers kids just watched it, and they liked it (16 and 18). But I think most teens who would see it today would say pass.. So I can understand why the studio would delay release of the remastered movie. I am sure when tron rolls out an does bank, they will bring out the original movie and those 16 -22 year olds will buy into it..

As for the special effects, I would say they were as state of the art then as this new tron movie will be today(maybe even more so considering what cameron did with avatar). If you look at what big budget FX movies(And their budgets) that came out in 82, blade runner(28 mil), star trek II(11 mil), the thing (15mil) and firefox (22 mil), trons(17mil) special effects holds up pretty well..

The weakest part of tron by far its the story. Last 3rd of the movie was pretty lame. But, overall I thought it was a good film.. But as stated, it did capture the 80's and video games very well.. It was very instrumental in my obsession with collecting arcade games (I own both tron and discs of tron).

[quote name='dabamus']I'll go ahead and unleash el hoardo: 4377034

There's the sku for BB for the anniversary edition.[/QUOTE]

umm, good try dabamus! search on BB.com yielded no results..what? did you expect us to go to the store and have them look it up in RSS?? Worth a shot I guess, I'll be going by there anyway..

[quote name='Rirse']Shame there isn't a big demand for Tron 2.0. I have the PC version of that still.[/QUOTE]

LOL, but do you have the GBA version?? I have the PC and Xbox version, it wasn't a bad game..

[quote name='token2k6']umm, good try dabamus! search on BB.com yielded no results..what? did you expect us to go to the store and have them look it up in RSS?? Worth a shot I guess, I'll be going by there anyway..[/QUOTE]If it's not coming up on BB.com then having them check in RSS would be the only way to find it. That would also show if it's an active SKU or a deleted SKU, plus store stock, if any.

[quote name='token2k6']LOL, but do you have the GBA version?? I have the PC and Xbox version, it wasn't a bad game..[/QUOTE]

The GBA Version is great. Well, the actual game is just alright, but it comes with very nicely emulated ports of both Discs of Tron and the original Tron arcade game as a bonus. Definitely worth the $5/100 Goozex points you can easily find it for.

It took all of 7 hours for my DVD BIN listing to sell on eBay. And here I was beginning to worry that the price would deflate with so many people knowing about the crazy demand for it. Crazy is still crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no problem looking up stock via the trick that we all use to check stock on pennied guides with that sku. Just do a "check local stores" for any DVD, and then replace the sku of that DVD with the Tron sku and voila you can search for local stock!

Good luck finding it of course.

EDIT: it's still an active sku according to the guy I just talked on the phone with at my local BB. Unfortunately all the NEOH/WPA stores have none.

[quote name='Kerig']The GBA Version is great. Well, the actual game is just alright, but it comes with very nicely emulated ports of both Discs of Tron and the original Tron arcade game as a bonus. Definitely worth the $5/100 Goozex points you can easily find it for.

It took all of 7 hours for my DVD BIN listing to sell on eBay. And here I was beginning to worry that the price would deflate with so many people knowing about the crazy demand for it. Crazy is still crazy.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering what was your BIN if you dont mind me asking? I've got a copy that I was going to throw up on ebay but curious as to what you got for yours.

[quote name='dabamus']Damn. I found a copy for $5 at a local store, but I have no way of getting there. :([/QUOTE]

well its not like part of your profits could account for a taxi ride? J/K if it were 5 miles away, the fare would probably be $75..

[quote name='snowmint']Anyone know how to check the stock at BB for Tron?[/QUOTE]

yeah dabamus, copypasta us the link or a generic link, I tried with your method, but the same DVD i initially chose just stayed stuck on there..

[quote name='snowmint']Anyone know how to check the stock at BB for Tron?[/QUOTE]

Easiest way is to call and give them the sku. If your closest store doesn't have it, the csr might be kind enough to check the region for you.

Disney could make so much bank if they released this movie digitally right now.
They could still wait until next year for their DVD/Blu restoration job, but release a digital copy now and it will sell so many copies and cost them next to nothing. They could even throw a tiny advertisement at the end of the Legacy commercials telling you that you can buy the original on iTunes/Zune/AmazonVOD/PSN/XBL/ect

Does anyone know if the DVD set contained an insert? I found mine and that sucker's going on ebay post haste, but it doesn't have any insert. Thanks!

I'm looking to buy a copy of the 20th Anniversary DVD with all original contents/inserts and in great condition. I can offer 55 dollars through paypal for anyone that does not want to have to deal with selling on ebay.

Hope you can find yours!

[quote name='Logain8955']Does anyone know if the DVD set contained an insert? I found mine and that sucker's going on ebay post haste, but it doesn't have any insert. Thanks![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Pumapride']Hope you can find yours![/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. I know I'm not going to be able to find it, I just went ahead and listed it. Thanks!

wow.. my local used dvd/book/cd store has a dozens of these for 3-4 a pop.. i think i might swing by tonight or tomorrow and buy them all and flip them.. why shouldn't i get paid for once? ahh who am i kidding i can't inflate prices and rip people off like that i am not that big of a douche asshole

[quote name='Logain8955']Does anyone know if the DVD set contained an insert? I found mine and that sucker's going on ebay post haste, but it doesn't have any insert. Thanks![/QUOTE]

The only insert mine had was the Disney Rewards one.

Disney probably didn't want anyone seeing the original movie because it was horrible. I was one of the suckers who saw it in theatre and am still stunned they are bringing this piece of crap back.

[quote name='jordie73']Tron also came out in 2 versions on umd[/QUOTE]

holy sh*t and look at the prices on those at Amazon! who would have known that out of all the remakes of a 30 year old film, THIS would be the one where everything related to it sky rockets in value?

With that being said, after my Tron 2.0 GBA comment yesterday, I popped over to GS.com and searched, only 3 locations in Houston had it, one I stopped buy confirmed it not in their computer and I went thru all the carts. Placed my first 'pick up in store' order at the next nearest location and will go get it during lunch. It's only listed at $2.99 and is searchable..

i saw it pop up on Gamestops website the other day and got 5 copies of the UMD for $3.35 each with discount and free shipping. glad I did, time to watch eBay for uninformed sellers and BUY IT NOW's lol.

Haha, man, I knew it was going for a lot, but sheesh.

I must've snuck in right under the wire, since I literally just sent Tron back to Netflix the day after Thanksgiving. Granted, I think I had it since about October, but still.

At least I got to see it again, anyway.

bread's done
Back