The Great "Tron" DVD hunt - Sell now if you own.

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(I know this isn't a deal, but since deal requests and other topics discussing movies tend to reside in here, I figured I would post it here.)

Actually, this might actually be a deal is you own a copy of the Tron DVD.

I figured with the new flick coming out, I would take a trip back to the past and rewatch the original. Since Netflix doesn't have it and most of the physical rental stores around here have closed down, I figured I would just pick up a copy off of Amazon.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with this idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-20th-Ann...OCMR/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Jeff-Bridges/dp/1558908358/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-9

Holy shit. Ebay, Buy.com, everywhere, this is the price.

Apparently, this is an out of print DVD, and the blu ray doesn't make its debut until sometime next year. Personally, I'll be hoping to get lucky at some mom and pop stores in the area.

If you own a copy of this DVD, I suggest you sell it now. Before all the hype for the new movie, the DVD prices were < $20, and I expect them to be less than that when the blu ray is released next year.

[quote name='ssjmichael']And there doesn't appear to be any inventory probs. I added 999 to my cart and all of them showed up[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is but when I posted the link yesterday and ordered mine it adjusted down to 18 but now its allowing any size. Oh well, 18 or 999 in stock it doesn't matter because I'm buying it just to watch, not to resell.
[quote name='Collectordragon']What's the quality of a UMD movie compared to a DVD?[/QUOTE]
They're the same resolution 480p.

[quote name='ssjmichael']LOL, either someone just bought them all, or Amazon's inventory tracker was off. They're completely Sold out now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd say a hoarder swooped in and bought them all.

When I made a purchase today after replying to the link, it updated with 9 left...the inventory was correct.

Everything else was shipped in my order.

Imma be hella pissed if this gets canceled because of a flipper.

EDIT - After reading the email, I checked my account and see the "This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed" with a delivery estimate of 12/15/10. That's good enough for me, I'd be shocked if it were canceled now.

As others pointed out, what a screw-up by Disney. I'm definitely going to see the new movie. I have seen Tron in the past, but not in a very, very long time, and most of the story is fuzzy to me. Not to have this readily available in any format at all is not only a disservice to the consumer but a blown opportunity to really cash-in.

I listed my sealed copy on Amazon for $75 yesterday and it sold within an hour--netted about $62 after fees--buyer also payed for expedited shipping, so obviously wants to see before seeing Legacy. I agree with others--it was stupid of Disney not to cash in on this before the new film. Unless they thought seeing how terrible the old film was would cause people to skip the new one.

This movie is awesome and the SFX and atmosphere hold up better than ever.

I have both DVD releases and am considering selling the original barebones DVD but not sure it's worth the hassle.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']In case anyone doesn't mind watching it on their PSP (or perhaps has video-out cables) Amazon has what appears to be a reprint of the UMD available for immediate shipping at $9.99. If you're interested though, you should hurry, there only appears to be 18 copies still available. Could be about the cheapest way to see it if you don't already own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-UMD-PSP-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1292200044&sr=8-1

I'm thinking its a reprint because the product picture has the newer gold upper border that the newer PSP movies have. There's also a listing for the original printing of the UMD (complete with silver-upper border) through 3rd parties, starting at $49.99...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link - I ordered one!

[quote name='dinovelvet']If anyone does want to watch it, there's a good HD version on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbOLqgEptS0[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for sharing the link.

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have been able to watch the movie, which is surprisingly good by the way.

Now I can see the screening of Tron Legacy and know what's going on.

Wow I'm late to the party. I think I might call up some used DVD shops today and see if I can actually track this awful movie down.

[quote name='Animal7390']amazon umd gone[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought the last one yesterday. It hasn't shipped yet though. It said they will get more in stock. I just figured I would pick one up just in case it becomes sought after.

If anyone wants to buy mine for 50.00 shipped its theirs to flip as they see fit. Mint..like new..both discs scratch free.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']In case anyone doesn't mind watching it on their PSP (or perhaps has video-out cables) Amazon has what appears to be a reprint of the UMD available for immediate shipping at $9.99. If you're interested though, you should hurry, there only appears to be 18 copies still available. Could be about the cheapest way to see it if you don't already own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-UMD-PSP-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1292200044&sr=8-1

I'm thinking its a reprint because the product picture has the newer gold upper border that the newer PSP movies have. There's also a listing for the original printing of the UMD (complete with silver-upper border) through 3rd parties, starting at $49.99...[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
Ordered one with prime and have the component cables to use....

oh snap...someone bought my tron dvd.....but amazon said they are unable to verify payment information so I shouldn't ship it right now. :| for $75 I think that's a fair average price for a played once and box in good shape after all these years. :)

hmm what's going on? So I get an email saying that my item was sold but they are unable to confirm the payment information from the buyer and my item is on hold pending this.....it's been over a day since this ...and I get another email saying this as well. Does that mean some jackass is going around and pretend (or whatever word)buying all these copies to screw people from selling their copies? What can I do?

Just sold my like new copy on Amazon for 95 + shipping. I am a first time seller here, so don't give up hope if you're in the same situation.

[quote name='ITDEFX']hmm what's going on? So I get an email saying that my item was sold but they are unable to confirm the payment information from the buyer and my item is on hold pending this.....it's been over a day since this ...and I get another email saying this as well. Does that mean some jackass is going around and pretend (or whatever word)buying all these copies to screw people from selling their copies? What can I do?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes that happens on amazon and ebay. Some jackass buys up the cheap ones, so they are removed form the site, never pays for them and sells their copy at a premium.

[quote name='slowdive21']Sometimes that happens on amazon and ebay. Some jackass buys up the cheap ones, so they are removed form the site, never pays for them and sells their copy at a premium.[/QUOTE]

Can I remove my listing or give the user a bad rating and try to relist it or do I have to wait freaking several days for it to clear?

[quote name='Animal7390']is it the one with the yellow bar on top?[/QUOTE]

Yes it has the Yellow bar.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Can I remove my listing or give the user a bad rating and try to relist it or do I have to wait freaking several days for it to clear?[/QUOTE]

You could relist and risk a negative from your first buyer and just cancel the transaction is it sells.

[quote name='slowdive21']Yes it has the Yellow bar.

You could relist and risk a negative from your first buyer and just cancel the transaction is it sells.[/QUOTE]

Well if it's taking two days for him to verify his payment information, then he's fucking around...so I went ahead and relisted it. Pretty shitty thing to do if you ask me.. There is enough Tron's out there to buy..and there was no super special edition that was out and now OOP.

Thanks for making this thread DrMunkee. I listed my dvd Tuesday night and it sold for $80 today. Not bad for a dvd I bought off Craigslist for $3 this past summer.

[quote name='shrike4242']Anyone expecting the prices to start tanking after Friday, when the movie comes out?[/QUOTE]

NO! The only way it will tank is if Disney decides to announce the blu ray containing the original movie and the Special Edition ...OR just release the original movie on BR. That's the only way I can think of to cause people to not buy TRON on online auctions anymore. Disney "Could" do that claiming for a limited time then it's going away forever or some shit they do with their classic movies....... The release of the new movie should have no affect on this.........unless it really bombs at the BO and no one gives a shit about tron because they fucked up this movie...but I doubt it.

That's what I'm thinking could happen. The new movie comes out to horrible reviews and people lose interest in seeing/owning the original. I've only seen one review and it was terrible. So far it's at 51 on Metacritic.

[quote name='dino88']That's what I'm thinking could happen. The new movie comes out to horrible reviews and people lose interest in seeing/owning the original. I've only seen one review and it was terrible. So far it's at 51 on Metacritic.[/QUOTE]I think you've just seen the one odd review that had it sound like it sucked.

The ads in the last couple of days have had Rolling Stone review quotes that pretty much said it's the second coming of Jesus at the movies.

I don't have much faith in this doing well and that's why I cashed out already. The only reason the DVDs are going so high is the hype for Tron Legacy. I just don't see that lasting too much longer.

[quote name='shrike4242']
The ads in the last couple of days have had Rolling Stone review quotes that pretty much said it's the second coming of Jesus at the movies.[/QUOTE]

lol.....i'll give RS a call if this movie IS the second coming of Jesus......

I am pretty sure this will be one of those movies that could have done well in the Summer, but instead out in December....... so this is the "Avatar" for 2010 :|

OT: I am starting to see this pattern where more action/sci fi movies are being pushed to DEC........hmmm.

[quote name='slowdive21']The Chicago tribune said the first 30 minutes were good, but it dragged the rest of the movie..[/QUOTE]

That's probably when the 3D kicked in :|

My wife and I were both of the opinion that we saw everything in the trailer and both thought we should have waited for the blu-ray rather than pay to see the movie today.

[quote name='aots16']I should sell my 20th anni. 2 disc dvd copy :) bought it for 3 dollars at a pawn shop years ago.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the condition of the discs and box. I just sold mine on amazon for 90 bucks before fees...........still a pretty good deal if you asked me since I paid 20 bucks for it 8 years ago. Since this is the first time I have sold something on amazon..... I did get the email with instructions on where to send it but it says I have to confirm shipment and then I will get paid then it takes a few days for the money to show up in the account. I have an address to send it to....just don't want to be I send the package and never get paid for it :| The address is somewhere I can actually meet up (about 30 minutes away)...should I contact the buyer and say, "Hey I can meet up with you if you want so you can get it today?" or has the money been sent and therefore amazon has the 7x.xx waiting for my go ahead on my side? It would be nice to get the full 90.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Depending on the condition of the discs and box. I just sold mine on amazon for 90 bucks before fees...........still a pretty good deal if you asked me since I paid 20 bucks for it 8 years ago. Since this is the first time I have sold something on amazon..... I did get the email with instructions on where to send it but it says I have to confirm shipment and then I will get paid then it takes a few days for the money to show up in the account. I have an address to send it to....just don't want to be I send the package and never get paid for it :| The address is somewhere I can actually meet up (about 30 minutes away)...should I contact the buyer and say, "Hey I can meet up with you if you want so you can get it today?" or has the money been sent and therefore amazon has the 7x.xx waiting for my go ahead on my side? It would be nice to get the full 90.[/QUOTE]

amazon pays you when you mark it shipped.

bread's done
Back