The Great "Tron" DVD hunt - Sell now if you own.

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(I know this isn't a deal, but since deal requests and other topics discussing movies tend to reside in here, I figured I would post it here.)

Actually, this might actually be a deal is you own a copy of the Tron DVD.

I figured with the new flick coming out, I would take a trip back to the past and rewatch the original. Since Netflix doesn't have it and most of the physical rental stores around here have closed down, I figured I would just pick up a copy off of Amazon.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with this idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-20th-Ann...OCMR/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Jeff-Bridges/dp/1558908358/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-9

Holy shit. Ebay, Buy.com, everywhere, this is the price.

Apparently, this is an out of print DVD, and the blu ray doesn't make its debut until sometime next year. Personally, I'll be hoping to get lucky at some mom and pop stores in the area.

If you own a copy of this DVD, I suggest you sell it now. Before all the hype for the new movie, the DVD prices were < $20, and I expect them to be less than that when the blu ray is released next year.

[quote name='Animal7390']amazon pays you when you mark it shipped.[/QUOTE]

Great...I have already emailed the buyer and offered to meet up and do it in person today but I don't thinK I will get an answer anytime soon. :( It will be a lot quicker to do it in person rather than me shipping it and it taking a day or two for them to get it....plus I can get my full 90 vs amazon's fees :\ This happens a lot right? when both the buyer and seller decide to agree on canceling the transaction or are we FORCED to do it within Amazon? It would be a win win situation for the both of us if we did it in person.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Great...I have already emailed the buyer and offered to meet up and do it in person today but I don't thinK I will get an answer anytime soon. :( It will be a lot quicker to do it in person rather than me shipping it and it taking a day or two for them to get it....plus I can get my full 90 vs amazon's fees :\ This happens a lot right? when both the buyer and seller decide to agree on canceling the transaction or are we FORCED to do it within Amazon? It would be a win win situation for the both of us if we did it in person.[/QUOTE]

It's against TOS and could get your seller account banned.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Great...I have already emailed the buyer and offered to meet up and do it in person today but I don't thinK I will get an answer anytime soon. :( It will be a lot quicker to do it in person rather than me shipping it and it taking a day or two for them to get it....plus I can get my full 90 vs amazon's fees :\ This happens a lot right? when both the buyer and seller decide to agree on canceling the transaction or are we FORCED to do it within Amazon? It would be a win win situation for the both of us if we did it in person.[/QUOTE]

I would think it hardly ever happens, since you are not even supposed to be contacting the seller. I would find it very strange if I bought something on Amazon and then got an email from some random guy asking to meet me somewhere. You probably should have put it on Craigslist if this is what you wanted to do.

oh oops...... I didn't know that......and yes I did put it on Craigslist. I did speak to the buyer and we agreed to meet up to deal with the transaction and cancel out the amazon thing since I could get it the same day instead of having her wait it out a few days. She gave me this sad story that her 19 year old son wanted it since he enjoyed watching it with his father who recently passed away due to a brain tumor. I thought about reducing the price a bit...but was told be careful because some people might do this to get it cheaper from me. :| who knows if it is true or not.
Anyways it's in a public place, we got each other's numbers so it's not like i'm going to be butt fucked and robbed in the store or where there are camera's monitoring the parking lot.

I'd never seen the movie until the other day. All I can say now is that I would be ecstatic if I was getting $70+ for this turd.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh oops...... I didn't know that......and yes I did put it on Craigslist. I did speak to the buyer and we agreed to meet up to deal with the transaction and cancel out the amazon thing since I could get it the same day instead of having her wait it out a few days. She gave me this sad story that her 19 year old son wanted it since he enjoyed watching it with his father who recently passed away due to a brain tumor. I thought about reducing the price a bit...but was told be careful because some people might do this to get it cheaper from me. :| who knows if it is true or not.
Anyways it's in a public place, we got each other's numbers so it's not like i'm going to be butt fucked and robbed in the store or where there are camera's monitoring the parking lot.[/QUOTE]

that sounds so fishy, I don't mean to sound heatless but I feel like that lady must be lying because, at least if I was in this situation, I wouldn't want to be telling a random person I'm buying a dvd from that my husband recently died, death of a loved ones to me is too personal to be telling random strangers.

[quote name='slowdive21']The Chicago tribune said the first 30 minutes were good, but it dragged the rest of the movie..[/QUOTE]

I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was real good. This is one of those typical sci-fi movies where people who have an inherent dislike for FX heavy flicks aren't going to care for it, so I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews.

The movie looks great, the action is terrific, the music is awesome -- the story is just kinda "meh," but it's good enough to provide a framework for the visuals. IMO I think kids will love it and adults especially those with a nostalgic fondness for the original are going to groove on it too. And it's one of the few 3-D movies I've felt was worth seeing in 3-D, if you know what I mean.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']And it's one of the few 3-D movies I've felt was worth seeing in 3-D, if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

Olivia Wilde's breasts aren't that big.

Wait... is that not what you meant?

[quote name='thelonepig']Olivia Wilde's breasts aren't that big.

Wait... is that not what you meant?[/QUOTE]

ot:
big or not, she is smokin hot
back on topic

[quote name='Animal7390']ot:
back on topic[/QUOTE]

before we get back on topic, has anyone else seen the PlayBoy Tron pics? :drool:

[quote name='RockMySocks10']that sounds so fishy, I don't mean to sound heatless but I feel like that lady must be lying because, at least if I was in this situation, I wouldn't want to be telling a random person I'm buying a dvd from that my husband recently died, death of a loved ones to me is too personal to be telling random strangers.[/QUOTE]

Well I am meeting her at a local mall in 2 hrs, going in with just my ID and no money (CC/Cash)...I'll let you guys know how it goes.......... The malls are packed and security is monitoring everything including parking lots.

It's not like she's going to rob me infront of hundreds of other people nor is she going to have someone follow me then rob/kill me :| but who knows.

I'm giving her contact information and my location to my friends and gf so they know where I am .

I'm thinking she's going to ask to drop the price because of the holidays....if that's the case I will say "Happy holidays".and then walking..

worse thing that could happen is that she calls me a few days later and says, "Umm it doesn't play for my son's dvd player I want my money back.." sorry no refunds as I have played and tested the discs.

yeah I don't think she's trying to rob you and since it's in a very public area you are safe, but she might try to guilt trip you into giving it to her at a reduced price.

Well I'm back and the transaction went smoothly :) She did add that her husband left behind a 19 year old and a 10 year old when he died...uhhh ok......... However she gave me 100 dollars cash (10 extra for me to drive up to the mall) and didn't ask for a reduced price and I did let her inspect it and she left happy. I saw the movie today and thought it was good, not "great" or "epic" and perhaps not this year's "Avatar"

Now all I have to do is wait for the BR announcement for the first movie. :)

I should have sold my copy on Craigslist. I sold mine through eBay, and due to the holidays the shipping is slow across the country and still hasn't arrived to the person. I happened to get a teenage buyer who emailed me saying I ruined her 'Tron' night..I just hope the package didn't get lost. For the sake of my feedback!

I should have sold my copy on Craigslist. I sold mine through eBay, and due to the holidays the shipping is slow across the country and still hasn't arrived to the person. I happened to get a teenage buyer who emailed me saying I ruined her 'Tron' night..I just hope the package didn't get lost. For the sake of my feedback and a possible full refund! :(

[quote name='Hoffy']I should have sold my copy on Craigslist. I sold mine through eBay, and due to the holidays the shipping is slow across the country and still hasn't arrived to the person. I happened to get a teenage buyer who emailed me saying I ruined her 'Tron' night..I just hope the package didn't get lost. For the sake of my feedback and a possible full refund! :([/QUOTE]

Tell her to go fuck herself as you have no control over the mail especially around this time of year.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Tell her to go fuck herself as you have no control over the mail especially around this time of year.[/QUOTE]

I said something similar, politely of course :) I just hope it 'eventually' gets there in a reasonable time so I don't receive some flame negative feedback.

[quote name='Hoffy']I said something similar, politely of course :) I just hope it 'eventually' gets there in a reasonable time so I don't receive some flame negative feedback.[/QUOTE]

I think that's pretty messed up if she pays for cheap shipping and it doesn't come "overnight" to arrive before the new movie comes out. :roll: Well that's fucking her fault. And if does it get lost in the mail...not your problem.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think that's pretty messed up if she pays for cheap shipping and it doesn't come "overnight" to arrive before the new movie comes out. :roll: Well that's fucking her fault. And if does it get lost in the mail...not your problem.[/QUOTE]

Free Priority mail shipping too, I sent it out the same day that she paid and because eBay posted some random expected delivery date, she was complaining that I mis-advertised. However, the Delivery Confirmation just updated about 10 minutes ago saying it processed in her area. So thank goodness for small favors! :)

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was real good. This is one of those typical sci-fi movies where people who have an inherent dislike for FX heavy flicks aren't going to care for it, so I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews.

The movie looks great, the action is terrific, the music is awesome -- the story is just kinda "meh," but it's good enough to provide a framework for the visuals. IMO I think kids will love it and adults especially those with a nostalgic fondness for the original are going to groove on it too. And it's one of the few 3-D movies I've felt was worth seeing in 3-D, if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

I just saw it in IMAX 3D. There are a bunch of cringe worthy scenes (in particular one character I just couldn't stand to see at all), and it had awesome music all around. It definitely pays lip service to all the popular elements of the original. I dunno, not the greatest it could have been but I was never bored watching it.

Since everyone's giving their reviews-- I thought it was "meh". Not a bad movie, and the effects/3d/soundtrack were great, but I didn't think it felt like "Tron"-- I think it felt like someone watched the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies to find out what goes on inside a computer... let's put in the Merovingian, do some battle scenes that were taken almost directly from Matrix, etc... and then thought "Hrrm, let's slap the Tron name on it!"

It's not a bad movie, but I felt like it lost the "mysteriousness" of the computer world of the original Tron. Nightclubs? Stadiums? Apartments? sigh..

Had it just been a sci-fi movie that everyone knew was heavily influenced by Tron, it would've been better. But I think trying to make it a direct sequel was just a little much.

Worth seeing, but don't expect Tron 2.0-- expect Tron: Revolutions.

Off topic, but since people are talking about it...

I really liked the movie and so did my wife, who doesn't like scifi movies at all. It did get a bit slow towards the middle, but it was still enough to be entertaining. Don't read if you haven't seen the movie
What did Sam download at the end of the movie? Was it the disc or his father's data? At first I thought it was Quorra but then she appeared outside.

I don't know if the 3D was worth it, but it was the only way to see it in imax. The 3D had a lot of blurriness to it, which wasn't the case when I saw Avatar. The glasses didn't say RealD, so I wonder if that was it.

Supposedly, Disney said they would make a third one if this one did well, but looks like they fell $7M short of expectations.

edit: forgot to mention, the soundtrack is awesome if you're into electronic music. I especially like the "game has changed" track, which is the one they play for the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a lot of people complaining about the blurriness of the 3D but the Imax 3d I saw it at was fantastic... makes me wonder what's going on with the different experiences.

[quote name='Justin42']I've seen a lot of people complaining about the blurriness of the 3D but the Imax 3d I saw it at was fantastic... makes me wonder what's going on with the different experiences.[/QUOTE]Same here. Looked great at the showing I had on Saturday. Not sure why other people are having blurriness issues.

[quote name='Justin42']I've seen a lot of people complaining about the blurriness of the 3D but the Imax 3d I saw it at was fantastic... makes me wonder what's going on with the different experiences.[/QUOTE]

Ugh . . . Will not go see it in IMAX 3D -- hopefully the theater here has a RealD option as well. The theater near my girlfriend's house added an IMAX theater back in March. We went to see a 3D movie there (I forget which one) not long after, and ended up demanding a refund before the movie even started. They handed us the glasses off of an open tray, probably right after someone else had dropped them off after the previous showing, and they were just nasty -- covered in dirt and, worse, grease from the sweaty faces of who knows how many people had worn them before us. When I saw the condition they were in, I refused to even put them on. At least with the RealD glasses, they come wrapped, and if they've been previously used, they're cleaned first. I'll never do IMAX 3D again unless they change the way they handle the glasses.

[quote name='Justin42']I've seen a lot of people complaining about the blurriness of the 3D but the Imax 3d I saw it at was fantastic... makes me wonder what's going on with the different experiences.[/QUOTE]

wearing the wrong glasses? I somehow got the regular real 3d glasses instead of the IMAX 3d glasses.....

[quote name='Animal7390']ot:
back on topic[/QUOTE]

she was wearing one of those tron outfits you couldnt see anything anyways

[quote name='arcane93']Ugh . . . Will not go see it in IMAX 3D -- hopefully the theater here has a RealD option as well. The theater near my girlfriend's house added an IMAX theater back in March. We went to see a 3D movie there (I forget which one) not long after, and ended up demanding a refund before the movie even started. They handed us the glasses off of an open tray, probably right after someone else had dropped them off after the previous showing, and they were just nasty -- covered in dirt and, worse, grease from the sweaty faces of who knows how many people had worn them before us. When I saw the condition they were in, I refused to even put them on. At least with the RealD glasses, they come wrapped, and if they've been previously used, they're cleaned first. I'll never do IMAX 3D again unless they change the way they handle the glasses.[/QUOTE]Thankfully, I've never run into that issue, though I can see where that might be an issue with the IMAX theatre 3D glasses versus the non-IMAX theatre 3D glasses.

Just as a precaution, I always clean them off with a glasses cleaning cloth before I wear them, just to be safe.

Also, not all IMAX theatres are created equal.

[quote name='ITDEFX']wearing the wrong glasses? I somehow got the regular real 3d glasses instead of the IMAX 3d glasses.....[/QUOTE]

I had actually brought my RealD glasses from when I went to see Pandora and those didn't work at all. The ones they gave us didn't say anything on the side but they did come individually wrapped. The movie was fine for the most part, it was just a couple of scenes that looked off.

How many scenes were in 3D for you guys? The one I went to was probably 50/50 2D/3D.

Why watch this in IMAX? There are no scenes shot in the IMAX aspect ratio in this movie. You'll have bars on top and bottom throughout the entire movie.

[quote name='chuckywang']Why watch this in IMAX? There are no scenes shot in the IMAX aspect ratio in this movie. You'll have bars on top and bottom throughout the entire movie.[/QUOTE]

ummm...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_legacy#Filming

There were scenes shot in IMAX...and I did notice it switching from letterbox to full IMAX fill on the screen.

I do agree that this doesn't need to be seen in IMAX. Anyways think about the release........will they pull that bullshit IMAX exclusive to certain retailers (Walmart/BB?) or will they just release it generally allowing for the switching of scenes in IMAX format like in the Dark Knight release?

[quote name='jayntampa']Thanks for this thread ... just sold my used DVD for over $70 o_O The person was very happy about it, too.[/QUOTE]

wait a few weeks for Disney to announce the br..........then everyone who bought it for 70+ bucks will be pissed. Honestly I don't care if they Special Edition/DC it. For something I bought for about 25 bucks new 8 years ago to get 100 bucks sold as used in pretty good shape seems like the best deal one can have right now.

Just noticed at walmart a few blu and dvd's out there have stickers for codes to get tickets for tron legacy. I saw them on Armageddon blu and on Old dogs dvd. They seem to be on the outside but hard to peel...need a blow drier :|

anyways congrats to those who sold their Tron's! :) Lets hope the prices stabilize or go down over time or else if it does go up and up, we are going to have to shoot ourselves for selling it for under 100 bucks :(

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back