The Great "Tron" DVD hunt - Sell now if you own.

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(I know this isn't a deal, but since deal requests and other topics discussing movies tend to reside in here, I figured I would post it here.)

Actually, this might actually be a deal is you own a copy of the Tron DVD.

I figured with the new flick coming out, I would take a trip back to the past and rewatch the original. Since Netflix doesn't have it and most of the physical rental stores around here have closed down, I figured I would just pick up a copy off of Amazon.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with this idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-20th-Ann...OCMR/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Jeff-Bridges/dp/1558908358/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1291431477&sr=8-9

Holy shit. Ebay, Buy.com, everywhere, this is the price.

Apparently, this is an out of print DVD, and the blu ray doesn't make its debut until sometime next year. Personally, I'll be hoping to get lucky at some mom and pop stores in the area.

If you own a copy of this DVD, I suggest you sell it now. Before all the hype for the new movie, the DVD prices were < $20, and I expect them to be less than that when the blu ray is released next year.

[quote name='dabamus']I'll go ahead and unleash el hoardo: 4377034

There's the sku for BB for the anniversary edition.[/QUOTE]

I thought retailers all pulled their copies.

If you have the sealed pc/xbox/gba game now would be the time to sell them. My BB doesn't have any copies of the movie

In an ironic twist of fate, my Brother was talking about going to see the new Tron movie and how he wanted to see the old movie first to get psyched up. So I told him what's up, and lent him my CE Tron. Now I won't be tempted to sell

wow, i put my 20th anniversary copy on amazon for $90 and it was gone in under 4hrs. now i almost feel i have to see the new movie to pay homage to the bountiful lord Tron.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']In an ironic twist of fate, my Brother was talking about going to see the new Tron movie and how he wanted to see the old movie first to get psyched up. So I told him what's up, and lent him my CE Tron. Now I won't be tempted to sell[/QUOTE]

You're a good man, sir.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']In an ironic twist of fate, my Brother was talking about going to see the new Tron movie and how he wanted to see the old movie first to get psyched up. So I told him what's up, and lent him my CE Tron. Now I won't be tempted to sell[/QUOTE]

As long as your brother doesn't lose the DVD.. on ebay... ;)

Ebay is starting to become more and more saturated with the discs..... since I am a new account, no one is buying from me :(.

What moron at Disney didn't realize that rereleasing this movie might have made a few bucks? I've never seen it and wanted to watch it but it's nowhere to be found.

[quote name='neocisco']What moron at Disney didn't realize that rereleasing this movie might have made a few bucks? I've never seen it and wanted to watch it but it's nowhere to be found.[/QUOTE]

I think they want us to pirate it >

It's even more ridiculous when you consider that Disney is the absolute master at hyping "from the vault" releases. Someone should lose their job over this.

[quote name='neocisco']What moron at Disney didn't realize that rereleasing this movie might have made a few bucks? I've never seen it and wanted to watch it but it's nowhere to be found.[/QUOTE]
The original movie sucks and they don't want people watching it and then not going to see the new one when they realize it.

That's not a ridiculous idea. I've heard plenty of people say that the original doesn't hold up at all. Regardless, at least personally, I'd still like to see it.

Though the prices are tempting, I don't think that I could ever sell my copy since Cindy Morgan signed it at the Comic-Con and even wrote her Tron name on the cover too.

They are rereleasing it sometime in February on Blu Ray from what I've been told. That's why they haven't reprinted the DVD version yet. They want people to buy the BR.

[quote name='mikeyscheap']Though the prices are tempting, I don't think that I could ever sell my copy since Cindy Morgan signed it at the Comic-Con and even wrote her Tron name on the cover too.[/QUOTE]

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRON-20th-Anniv...412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a61530edc

?

[quote name='neocisco']That's not a ridiculous idea. I've heard plenty of people say that the original doesn't hold up at all. Regardless, at least personally, I'd still like to see it.[/QUOTE]

I think the movie holds up just fine, I watched it earlier this spring when I finally got around to buying it for $13 (haha, take that price gougers :lol:) I enjoyed it, the special features even more so, and I think it's a nice testament to a movie that was leap years ahead of the curve.

As for selling, it crossed my mind for two seconds, but I hate re-buying stuff, so I laughed it off and said hell no. ;) I'll stick with my plain jane 2 disc dvd set and call it a day, no need to get it again when the BD finally comes out.

[quote name='DarkRider23']They are rereleasing it sometime in February on Blu Ray from what I've been told. That's why they haven't reprinted the DVD version yet. They want people to buy the BR.[/QUOTE]

That still makes no sense since it makes no use at all of the hype around Legacy. Major mistake on Disney's part.

[quote name='neocisco']That still makes no sense since it makes no use at all of the hype around Legacy. Major mistake on Disney's part.[/QUOTE]

I agree a DVD/BR release with a coupon to see Tron Legacy would have been a nice promo :)

[quote name='neocisco']That still makes no sense since it makes no use at all of the hype around Legacy. Major mistake on Disney's part.[/QUOTE]

Disney has folks excited in Legacy. Releasing the first movie could potentially turn a lot of people away from seeing it in the theater.

Now, let people see it in the theater and get excited for it. Release the first movie on bluray at the same time as Legacy and you'll get bunches of folks buying both at the same time, many just from the hype on Legacy.

It's a very intelligent, safe move on Disney's part, IMO.

Thanks OP, I had no idea this was going for this kind of money. Mine will be going up for sale tomorrow. :)

Reminds me of when I realized the Batman dvd movie collection was going for huge dollars (about a year before the blu re-release of those movies). Sold mine for $100. :D

The people who would buy it before Legacy are going to see Legacy regardless. If it's released in February as has been speculated then that won't coincide with the Legacy DVD/BR release and misses out on the tie-in, not to mention they lose out on the holiday buying frenzy. I stand by my assessment that delaying it is a mistake.

[quote name='thelonepig']Disney has folks excited in Legacy. Releasing the first movie could potentially turn a lot of people away from seeing it in the theater.

Now, let people see it in the theater and get excited for it. Release the first movie on bluray at the same time as Legacy and you'll get bunches of folks buying both at the same time, many just from the hype on Legacy.

It's a very intelligent, safe move on Disney's part, IMO.[/QUOTE]

This is what I would do if I was marketing TRON.

[quote name='neocisco']The people who would buy it before Legacy are going to see Legacy regardless. If it's released in February as has been speculated then that won't coincide with the Legacy DVD/BR release and misses out on the tie-in, not to mention they lose out on the holiday buying frenzy. I stand by my assessment that delaying it is a mistake.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it being released in February, personally.

I love Tron and am one of the folks looking forward to its BD release. On the other hand, I know quite a few people that haven't seen the first movie; I guarantee if Tron was available, many of them would skip Legacy in the theater. Tron is a great movie, but it is also unevenly paced and carries a very different vibe than the trailers for Legacy.

Ok, demand is insane. I had a sealed copy go on eBay for $91. Guy is even paying me extra for priority mail. While I love the movie, I need the money more.

Might have to sell my copy too. Kind of wondering if I should keep it though since I don't know what they mean by "tinkering". An original copy may end up being worth more down the road.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']I'm going to sell mine. I don't care for the movie anyway. [/QUOTE]

I think that is why Disney didn't rerelease Tron for the new movie, the movie is crap. Everyone has fond memories of it and will go see Tron 2. If they owned the DVDs they would see that Tron is just another horrible 80s movie everyone loved when they were 4.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I think that is why Disney didn't rerelease Tron for the new movie, the movie is crap. Everyone has fond memories of it and will go see Tron 2. If they owned the DVDs they would see that Tron is just another horrible 80s movie everyone loved when they were 4.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. I still have great love for Tron. It was a movie that was ahead of its time in many ways.

The only reason why I'm selling my copy is because I need the money more and I know I will be able to get it back at some point.

In case anyone doesn't mind watching it on their PSP (or perhaps has video-out cables) Amazon has what appears to be a reprint of the UMD available for immediate shipping at $9.99. If you're interested though, you should hurry, there only appears to be 18 copies still available. Could be about the cheapest way to see it if you don't already own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-UMD-PSP-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1292200044&sr=8-1

I'm thinking its a reprint because the product picture has the newer gold upper border that the newer PSP movies have. There's also a listing for the original printing of the UMD (complete with silver-upper border) through 3rd parties, starting at $49.99...

[quote name='neocisco']The people who would buy it before Legacy are going to see Legacy regardless. If it's released in February as has been speculated then that won't coincide with the Legacy DVD/BR release and misses out on the tie-in, not to mention they lose out on the holiday buying frenzy. I stand by my assessment that delaying it is a mistake.[/QUOTE]

The fact that there's this much demand shows how much of a mistake it was.

[quote name='emokid9963']Sold my used copy on Amazon for $93.50. I really didnt expect to get that much for it....[/QUOTE]

Wow, I got $80 for mine & thought that was a lot. :p I'm certainly not complaining tho - watched it again last night so I'd be ready for the new movie Friday, so I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow!

[quote name='ITDEFX']How the heck are you guys selling so well?[/QUOTE]

IDK but I find selling on Amazon as a new seller is MUCH better than eBay as a new seller. Hope that helps some how...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']In case anyone doesn't mind watching it on their PSP (or perhaps has video-out cables) Amazon has what appears to be a reprint of the UMD available for immediate shipping at $9.99. If you're interested though, you should hurry, there only appears to be 18 copies still available. Could be about the cheapest way to see it if you don't already own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-UMD-PSP-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1292200044&sr=8-1

I'm thinking its a reprint because the product picture has the newer gold upper border that the newer PSP movies have. There's also a listing for the original printing of the UMD (complete with silver-upper border) through 3rd parties, starting at $49.99...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link :)

bread's done
Back