The I have my Wii thread

Just got home!

I waited 14 hours. I was #4 in line out of a total of 20 units at our Wal-Mart. By the time midnight struck, there were around 80 people in line (most were told about the 20, but I guess they wanted Wal-Mart to confirm it).

My Wal-Mart was great. They set chairs out for us to wait in (20 chairs), set up a TV for us to watch today's big football games and play GameCube later, let us get up to do whatever we wanted as long as we watched each other's back for spots in line (go to Subway, bathroom, shop for cards, whatever).

All in all, I am super pleased! Now to eat dinner and then play some Wii!

[quote name='sonderiaom']I've got a question, does the update occur after you turn on the system or after you set it up online. I'd rather not be trapped asking for an update when I can't access online currently.[/QUOTE]

After you set up online it'll prompt for updates, at least, thats when it did for me.

God it's slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. The first update was fairly fast, but the second isn't even moving. Augh.

[quote name='jezebelseven']After you set up online it'll prompt for updates, at least, thats when it did for me.

God it's slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. The first update was fairly fast, but the second isn't even moving. Augh.[/quote]

Thanks much. When everyone was first talking about updates a streak of fear ran through me thinking that I couldn't actually play the system until I updated it.

As well I'm sure that's the fact of the Nintendo servers being slammed by all the Wiis attempting to update.

Quick question for those who have gotten online onto Wii Shop.

Can you buy Wii Points in any amount, or do they have to be 2000 Points like the cards?

I was the first person in the store at the Sterling Hts, MI Toys R Us midnight launch. Me and my buddy were the first ones in, it was pretty cool. They had special freebies, too. I grabbed a 2007 Nintendo themed day planner.

Just got the system for now, but I'll be getting another game soon. This thing is just too damn rad. I can't wait to get Zelda for Christmas from my daughter!!

[quote name='lordwow']Quick question for those who have gotten online onto Wii Shop.

Can you buy Wii Points in any amount, or do they have to be 2000 Points like the cards?[/QUOTE]

You can buy them in 5 amounts - 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, and 5,000 at $10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 dollars respectively.

I thought the classic controllers were supposed to come in today, too. :( Drat. Just like the PS3 --> PS2 Memory Card Adaptor. Grr!

[quote name='Draccius']You can buy them in 5 amounts - 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, and 5,000 at $10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 dollars respectively.

I thought the classic controllers were supposed to come in today, too. :( Drat. Just like the PS3 --> PS2 Memory Card Adaptor. Grr![/quote]
they only had 2 damn classic controllers at the walmart i went to...

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']they only had 2 damn classic controllers at the walmart i went to...[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I had one preordered at Gamestop along with the system but they didn't get them in. That's odd.

I got mine pre-ordered at a local GameStop, and they had a midnight launch. I just got done playing Wii Sports, Zelda, and Red Steel. I'm going to try Ultimate Alliance tomorrow.

Frankly, I enjoyed the use of the Wiimote with Wii Sports and Zelda. It's amazing how easily I caught on with Zelda's remote control scheme. The Wiimote is really that responsive. However, for tennis and boxing, the Wiimote was a bit weird. It didn't really jive with my actions that much. However, I still enjoyed a good short workout.

Red Steel's graphics were so-so. The remote control scheme was pretty neat, but my hands just got tired after a while. It's truly amazing how Red Steel duplicated how I held the Wiimote in a tilted direction. At first, I was trying to figure out why my character was holding the gun in a twisted way, then I realized that I was actually holding it the same way.

I'll play again tomorrow. I'm sleepy now. :)

Anyone know if Kmart is getting any wiis at all? It is my last hope for camping before I make the journey to a bb at least an hour away

[quote name='MrX']Anyone know if Kmart is getting any wiis at all? It is my last hope for camping before I make the journey to a bb at least an hour away[/quote]

My kmart is gettting 5...

I got my Wii at Walmart tonight. We were the first in line. I haven't hooked it up online yet, I'm going to do it tommorow. I have, howeve, booted the system and played some Wii Sports. However, since I am incredilby tired I am going to bed. I will play Zelda in the morning...

Oh my God I love Wii Boxing. I don't see why it got so much hate? Sure, it's not like 100% accurate of all of your punches, but it's more accurate than anything I've ever played. My dad and I just played and he loves it...it's probably the first video game he's played since like Duck Hunt.

Got my Wii, me and my friend have tried Wii Sports and Call of Duty. I'm about to throw in Zelda and after that, some Monkey Ball. I can't believe responsive the remote is, and how hassle free it was to set up. It's just so much fun.

Here's what Kotaku is saying the update did.

Turns out that first update for the Wii did a couple of things. It changed the boot-up screen, tinkered slightly with a couple of menus and added the ability to manage the data on your SD card. In particular, you can now transfer game saves and virtual console games to and from an SD card as advertised.

Got my Wife's Wii tonight at my local GameStop Midnight Event, we'll hook it up tomrroow since she was to tired to try it tonight, that will give me time to play GoW

I got it, set it up, played Wii Sports (Tennis was my favorite, but overall it was pretty meh), got online, downloaded updates, put in my SD card to find out I have 17000+ blocks of data to deal with, tried out a GC game...and now it is time to sleep before I can no longer fight the urge to play Zelda and end up getting no sleep at all...

shit, i can't even sleep right now. i might pull a jack bauer for the rest of the day maybe. i have to pick up my Wii this morning, watch 12 hrs worth of football, and play my wii. There's not enough time in this world LOL.

Good god this is the greatest thing man has ever created.

I tested out the Wii points thing, a helluva lot better than XBLA simply because it doesnt take 30 hours to download an arcade game, it takes seconds for Zelda

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Hah hah, I think it's funny how many of us went to pick it up at midnight and have been too tired to properly play it.[/quote]

So true. I'm beat. I've only played a few minutes of Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Madden. Not enough to get into any of them, but enough to realize how much fun I'll have when I actually try to enjoy them.

I think I'll go to sleep now and wake up to Wii!

I wanna sleep and wake up for more Wii, but I need another controller, and my friend is first in line at Best Buy so I'm giving him money to get me an extra controller

[quote name='OzCatter']Good god this is the greatest thing man has ever created.

I tested out the Wii points thing, a helluva lot better than XBLA simply because it doesnt take 30 hours to download an arcade game, it takes seconds for Zelda[/QUOTE]

huh? it takes a few minutes to download XBLA games and if it takes 30 hours for you to download 40-50mbs then you're connection is fucked up.

[quote name='OzCatter']Good god this is the greatest thing man has ever created.

I tested out the Wii points thing, a helluva lot better than XBLA simply because it doesnt take 30 hours to download an arcade game, it takes seconds for Zelda[/quote]

Dude, all XBLA games are under 50MB. It takes under a minute for me to download. Something's wrong on your end.

I've been playing for two hours now but do not have an extra controller. the sports games are not that bad they are actually fun and the Zelda game is pretty cool. the downloads only take a minute with the nintendo wifi and my cable modem. I have to go to walmart in three hours to see if I can pick up a set of wii controllers. It sucks playing the sports games by yourself.

Picked mine up at midnight from EBgames :) been playing it since. I can't explain how much I love bowling and how pissed off I am that i only have 1 wiimote. Wish I would've had component cables for when I played it on my HD, but this wii is going in my bedroom with my SDTV.

I dont have it yet however have the ticket to go back to kmart at 8 to pick it up. Only 3 at my kmart and 1st ticket!! woot woot!!

D'oh! I guess I should have posted this in here instead of the "anxiety" thread. Well, here's my cut n' paste (I haven't read the rest of this thread yet so forgive me if I repeat any info):

-------------------------------------------

Here's my EB haul:

Did anyone else get any of this stuff? Sweatband, iron-ons, a pen, etc... Pretty cool. I asked about the Tshirts someone mentioned and he said whoever gave those out will be in trouble because they are Black Friday specials. By the way, all EB's will be getting more Wiis on Black Friday.

And I think Nintendo needs to pay me for the use of this photo in upcoming promotions:

By the way, we got twin girl kittens and the leading names in our household are Peach and Daisy ;). This is Peach in the photo. They thought the box smelled very interesting.

I logged onto the online store and browsed the games available there. Heck, I have my Wii Points card, I should have just bought Mario 64. You can also link your Wii Shop Channel account with your Nintendo.com account - that is pretty nice. You can enter your Nintendo.com name and password. Just now went to Nintendo.com and registered my Wii - got the extra 90 days warranty, sweet!

Then I played Wii Sports. Pretty fun, though I can see how it would get boring pretty quickly. I'm glad I have Rayman to play as well (since I'm holding off on Zelda till I get the component cable). The graphics aren't too bad using composite on my 51" HDTV - just the text and edges of things are much fuzzier than I'm used to with my GC and PS2 (hooked up via component). I didn't know about the Wii Sports Fitness age - kind of like Brain Age. My first attempt I got an age of 45. Not too bad, only slightly older than I really am ;).

I made Mii's for all the family, loaded up a bunch of pictures, and got it all ready for the kids in the AM (hehe - it is 4am already). Time to take a nap.

Got mine, will run back out in a bit to get Zelda (if not Marvel UA) from my EB credit.

Oh yeah, I was #14 of 39 at Target. The Wii Locator was accurate about the location I went to.

Got mine from Target this morning - the store staff handled everything perfectly - numbered tickets to those in line at 7, doors opened at 8, and personal shoppers who fetched whatever accessories and games you wanted. They didn't have Trauma Center in, so I got Zelda, ExciteTruck, and Madden along with a classic controller, extra wiimote & nunchuck and wii points card - $520 well spent!

The ps3seeker website was accurate - exactly 60 Wiis were available for purchase.

I'm headed out in 20 minutes! I have to stop at BK to pick up the three Xbox games, Target to pick up Cars for my daughter and then off to GameStop for the Wii!

Attention!!!: For anyone who has an HDTV cabable of 1080i and has component cables. is the difference from composite to component very noticable?

[quote name='pop311']Attention!!!: For anyone who has an HDTV cabable of 1080i and has component cables. is the difference from composite to component very noticable?[/quote]

I don't know about the Wii but it's a huge difference with my GCN and PS2. *huge*

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know about the Wii but it's a huge difference with my GCN and PS2. *huge*[/quote]fuck? Now that I missed nintendo store selling them (fucking school) where am I supposed to get them any time soon? I can't hold off on zelda for a long time

What a night!

So our plan was to head down to our TRU at 7 or 8PM. We had called ahead around noon to find out how many units they had, how they were handling the lines, and if there was a line. There were already about 20 people in line, they reported 80-100 units (75 was the report from Friday), and they would be handing tickets to people in line as we entered the store at midnight.

We get a call from Evilmax's friend after 5 telling us to get down there: he was number 80-something on an unofficial line-up list that some woman was doing (to keep order and limit cutting). Luckily we had prepared our sodas and DS games for the wait, so we flew down. We were number 92 on the list, and received a little slip of notebook paper confirming that.

Based on the reported number of units, we and the others around us were worried that we might be on the cusp, and might not get a Wii. They were also out of the Zelda preorder slips, so we had no idea if any of us would be getting Zelda that night. The line grew longer, and the night got colder. Fortunately there was no precipitation, but it was in the low 30's. Most people in line had fold-out chairs, blankets, sleeping bags, you name it. Got a fun round of Mario Kart going early, but it was too cold to keep your hands exposed later on.

We had a lot of nice people around us, which naturally made the experience even better.

Around 11, people started to pack up their things, anticipating the official line-up. Suddenly, the chaos I was waiting for broke loose - though it was only temporary. Everyone started running, literally stepping on people's blankets and chairs, someone kicked my pepsi can over, it was crazy. But after a few minutes, everyone was lined up along the building to wait the final hour. I had Evilmax get in line while I packed the car. The line list lady came around at 1130 to make sure everyone was lined up properly. By then there was around 180 in line, and that number probably grew to 200 by the time the doors opened, and people still showed up after midnight. The looks on their faces were priceless when they saw the huge line. A lot of latecomers turned right around and went home.

People still cut though. There was a couple in front of us that must have come, signed their name, left, and came back later, since we never saw them. Just after we lined up, another couple who was friends with them showed up and stood with them. They only had one line number between them, but they took two tickets when it was time to go in. Frustrating, cuz they essentially took away 1 Wii from someone who had been waiting.

The store manager came around and informed us there were 161 Wii's and 240 Zelda's, and the relief set in. We were getting a Wii. Our 7 hours wasn't for nothing. We didn't actually enter the store 'til almost 1AM, as they were only letting 6 tickets in at a time. Got the Wii, Zelda, and headed home.

Took pictures of the opening and setup, downloaded the firmware, made Miis, and played a little Wii Sports. The Wiimote handles great. We finally crashed around 3AM. We'll start Zelda today, now that we are rested and ready for a long day of Wii. All in all, a new and fun experience that was totally worth it.

bread's done
Back