The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='Otherguy676']I think games are also regional, for example I hit up 3 Earthbounds in a month period (never paid over $15/copy, 1 complete w/ guide).[/quote]

eBay isn't regional though, and generally when people are buying/bidding at high prices and it isn't getting lower, its safe to say its kinda rare.

[quote name='StarKnightX']theres always digital press. they keep a running database of rarity and approximite prices for older games. based off there advanced guide that I have :

secret of evermore - $12 , Rarity 2 (common)
megaman X - $8 , Rarity 1 (common)
illusion of gaia - $12 , Rarity 1 (common)

If anyone else has any game rarity requests for anything Pre-PS2 generation , ask me and I'll check it in my guide.[/quote]

Is that for cart only, or complete?

[quote name='StarKnightX']Prince of Persia - $5 , Rarity 4 (Uncommon) The kinds of items you have to look for but are always within reach.

It should be noted that the $5 price (as well as the prices for all of the above games mentioned by me) is for "game only" no box or manual. Price will most likely be higher with box and or manual but YMMV.[/quote]

Ah thank you.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I used digitpress a lot, however, they really need to update. Some of the older games are becoming more scarce, and some of the values need to go up. I just lucked into a US Version of Alex Kidd in Shinobi Land and I think digit Press is way off on value, but right on rarity (R7).[/quote]They're not TOO far off. They list $40 and I sold a complete copy for $35 on eBay a few months ago. Found it at an indie music store in the next town for $3.50 :)

One game i'm surprised wasn't rare: growlanser deluxe edition. The final product produced by the minds at Working Designs :cry:.

With tax, I paid about 100$ for this sucker. I see it going for ~50ish sealed. However, I have no regrets as buying that game was my moment of enlightenment...That's when I learned to be a cheapass :).

Digital Press Ranking and Titles >3 for Xbox,PS2, (GC,360,GBA,PS3,Wii,NDS,PSP) show none >3
* R0: Titles listed with a rarity of zero are simply games that were never released or require more research on our side. You’ll see this listed on ALL “Rumor Mill” entries.
* R1: These are the items you can find or BUY anywhere. When you find a bunch of games, these WILL be in the pile.
* R2: You can find these titles just about anywhere, too, but they’re slightly less common, perhaps in certain areas.
* R3: You’ll find these items through the proper channels (other collectors!), not as common “on the street”, but fairly common on the internet.
* R4: Things get a little harder here, as a title rated as such could have a lower production run, or other factors that pull it out of the common bin, but nowhere near rare. You can start calling titles from herein UNCOMMON.
* R5: The hunt begins. Five are the kinds of item you have to look for, but definitely always in reach.
* R6: If you see a six or greater, at least one of us had a problem finding the title. You call this VERY UNCOMMON if you so desire, or BORDERLINE RARE.
* R7: RARE. A true collectible! Sevens and up represent the “hardest” 25% of the games listed in this Guide.
* R8: We consider these the items you’ll never find by chance (except in those legendary lucky finds!). There are a few eights in this Guide that we haven’t gotten our grubby little hands on... yet.
* R9: The centerpiece of a collection make up the nines. If you ever hope to BUY one of these, prepare to write out a big check.
* R10: Not only is this the centerpiece of a collection, but a ten also means you could be holding a one-of-a-kind (certainly one of no more than a dozen or so) there - kind of like owning a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, or Issue #1 of DC’s Action Comics.

PS2:
PS2 U.S. Game Releases Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu: Collector's Edition Ubisoft 4 10/16/2003 USA
PS2 U.S. Game Releases G1 Jockey 3 Koei 4 5/28/2003 USA
PS2 U.S. Game Releases Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition Konami 5 3/14/2006 USA
PS2 U.S. Game Releases Soccer America International Cup Hot-B 4 6/25/2001 USA
PS2 U.S. Game Releases Woody Woodpecker: Escape from Buzz Buzzard Park Dreamcatcher 4 2/22/2002 USA

Xbox:
Xbox U.S. Game Releases Air Force Delta Storm Konami 4 11/14/01 USA
Xbox Demos, Samplers, & Non-Games LucasArts Xbox Experience Volume 1 LucasArts 5
Xbox Demos, Samplers, & Non-Games Outlaw Golf 9 Holes of X-Mas Simon&Schuster 5
Xbox Demos, Samplers, & Non-Games Outlaw Golf 9 More Holes of X-Mas Simon&Schuster 5
Xbox Demos, Samplers, & Non-Games Outlaw Golf Holiday Golf Simon&Schuster 8
Xbox Demos, Samplers, & Non-Games Outlaw Volleyball Red Hot Simon&Schuster 5
Xbox Non-Cartridge Items System, Xbox Mountain Dew Green Microsoft 4

Of that List I only have my sealed Metal Gear Limited which I got via buy it now at 69.99 New from ebay.

The Rarity guide imo is a decent system to compare with as it compares printing for Rarity. Another expensive game I have is Suikoden II (R3), but there are many more copies of that than Metal Gear Substistence Limited (R5) on ebay. And for comparing market Demand Value for (Available Rarity) there is always ebay completed auctions. :)

Note some games still are not represented in their system ie RE 4 Gamestop SE: which had a 48k run and is not rated.

And Collectors may skew marketed rare titles such as

Xbox Non-U.S. Game Releases Halo 2 Limited Collector's Edition Microsoft 0 (10-30)shipped on ebay for complete to sealed copies.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I think games are also regional, for example I hit up 3 Earthbounds in a month period (never paid over $15/copy, 1 complete w/ guide). I did the same thing for 3 Secret of Manas (never over $6/copy, 2 compltete). On the other end of the spectrum, I haven't seen a SNES Ogre Battle in years in the area and the Lufia's have been pretty elusive. When I went up north, certain "rare" games were easier to find in the wild, while the ones I see a lot in my area were not seen.

I used digitpress a lot, however, they really need to update. Some of the older games are becoming more scarce, and some of the values need to go up. I just lucked into a US Version of Alex Kidd in Shinobi Land and I think digit Press is way off on value, but right on rarity (R7).[/quote]

I traded my copy of Secret of Mana for Earthbound (and the guide as well). I got Lufia II by trading in a Square (maybe Enix) racing game and some PS2 surfing game awhile back. I don't regret the trade for Earthbound, but I've been dying to play Secret of Mana again. I wish I could find another copy for cheap. I've had a lot of bad luck buying cartridges that sometimes lose saves when I take them out of my SNES. I'm really not sure if it's my system or the games though.

I have those xbox outlaw games.. they were like cheapo at blockbuster when I first got my system and said "hey what the heck?"

I realize I could just "go to ebay" but the thing about sometimes when we are talking about "rare" games is the MAJORITY of them you do not want to play EVER. especially the NES rare games.. most of them are just garbage which is exactly why they are so "rare" because they weren't good products to begin with..

when they are good product and the reason for rarity is a legitimate reason i can see .. (usually late in the console cycle gems, like Earthbound or a company went out of business or lost the license .. the only 2 i can think of are Baulder's gate dark alliance 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2.. ) some that are a little more "uncommon" are the Lucas Arts Jedi Knight sequels.. they didn't get a proper print run and so they are little bit harder to track down but definately doable if you keep an eye out..

but for the majority of us out here we really just have really common games maybe a few "niche" uncommon games and once in a few of us have the really rare titles.. but really sometimes there is a resaon why they are rare.. they just plain suck.

EDIT: to the guy above me having problems with saves on old cartridges..

you probably need to change the battery in the games themselves.. go to the "old school" forum of this website and it should be a sticky at the top of the page on how to do this. it'll save you lots of hassle.

Ok, I got a serious question too.

How about "Railfan" for PS3, either Japanese, Asian, or Korean version. I've been wanting to get this game (wanted the Densha De Go! games in the past but never bit on one), but was wanting to find it for $30. Now I'm seeing it getting all sold out or remaining at the $60+ pricepoint.

For anyone currently in Japan or Hong Kong: Are they plentiful there? I'm seeing used copies on ebay for $60, is this what you are seeing in your respective areas?

I still don't want to have to pay $70 w/ shipping or there abouts....but I also don't want to miss out on my chance to own it....

Just to clarify, I'm only talking about the original, not the Taiwanese High Speed Rail version.

Thanks for anyone that can help me out on this.

A game that Im surprised that is already going up in value...used copies already going for over the retail price: Ace Combat 6 with Flight stick. I got one on launch and its SOO much fun. They are already going for over $200 complete and used and up to $280 for a new one on Ebay. Get it if you can and have any interest in it....really great game and very high quality flight stick.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Bioshock LE is also obscure, not as rare as the other two but not common either. The difficult thing with Bioshock is that placed like gamestop dont take the entire set used, so it is one of those titles where you have to buy it new or not at all.[/quote]

Mass Effect LE and Forza LE are pretty rare. I don't think Forza LE was even released in the states, was it? I have Bioshock LE still sealed :D

Gears CE is almost as common around here as the Perfect Dark Zero LE. We still have sealed copies of the Gears CE at work.

NCAA is the rarest game on Gamecube, production numbers wise. It's worth nothing since people don't really care.

I think Hotel Dusk is finally becoming rare.. glad I still have mine sealed.

:psp:Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner? I really haven't seen this one around.

[quote name='cdrober']
How about "Railfan" for PS3, either Japanese, Asian, or Korean version. I've been wanting to get this game (wanted the Densha De Go! games in the past but never bit on one), but was wanting to find it for $30. Now I'm seeing it getting all sold out or remaining at the $60+ pricepoint.

For anyone currently in Japan or Hong Kong: Are they plentiful there? I'm seeing used copies on ebay for $60, is this what you are seeing in your respective areas?

I still don't want to have to pay $70 w/ shipping or there abouts....but I also don't want to miss out on my chance to own it....

Just to clarify, I'm only talking about the original, not the Taiwanese High Speed Rail version.

Thanks for anyone that can help me out on this.[/QUOTE]

The game is EXTREMELY easy to find here in Japan, although the price hasn't gone down too much. Still in the $50 range IIRC.

[quote name='sying']Samba de Amigo maracas, (original) boxed? Is it rare?[/QUOTE]

I picked up a set of the official ones @ EB back in the day for $50 around the time they started sky-rocketing on eBay. Not sure what the deal is in the US nowadays, but over here in Japan I just saw a set of the official SEGA ones (Japanese version) for 100 yen, or under 1 dollar!
I'm unsure if they were in working condition or not. I would've picked em up but I didn't really have much time and I was heading to a club later on so I didn't want to be carrying around a big box of plastic maracas. :lol:

[quote name='Blackout542']:psp:Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner? I really haven't seen this one around.[/quote]
the game sold very poorly. i would assume it will. its harder to find it sealed at least for the moment.

[quote name='phear3d']the game sold very poorly. i would assume it will. its harder to find it sealed at least for the moment.[/quote]

I couldn't find the game anywhere but my friend picked me up a copy at GS. It was gutted, but it was the ONLY store I have ever seen this game at. They only had one copy too. It seems like this game fell off the face of the Earth.

[quote name='Scorch']
NCAA is the rarest game on Gamecube, production numbers wise. It's worth nothing since people don't really care.[/quote]

orly.gif

yarly.jpg

I found a complete copy of Maniac Mansion for the PC for a buck at a garage sale last year. Couldn't find any on ebay --- Rare?

[quote name='danh920']Sealed Stubbs the Zombie for xbox worth anything?[/QUOTE]
I've seen this a couple times in the bargain bin at Sears, so I'm thinking it's pretty common.

[quote name='danh920']Sealed Stubbs the Zombie for xbox worth anything?[/quote]

A SEALED copy might be, someday, but I know I had 2 copies at one point and aside from being worth $7-8 at FYE, they were worth crap otherwise.

The game was repetitive but fun, but once you completed it there was no real reason to play through it again. I bought it for $35-40 from Blockbuster new and enjoyed it, due to the nostalgia factor. However, even on the cover of the game, it was hailed as 'the zombie game with the Halo engine', just not in those words.

pretty sweet thread!

can you list the various Shin Megami Tensei series rarity levels?
Nocturne, Personas, Digital Devil Sagas... thanks!

[quote name='Scorch']NCAA is the rarest game on Gamecube, production numbers wise. It's worth nothing since people don't really care.[/quote]

Until I got a PS2, I, being a huge college basketball fan, had to track it down and picked it up used at a GameStop. Even though I paid $20, it was totally worth it for me.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Do you think Valkyrie Profile Lenneth for PSP will be rare in the future?[/quote]
I would bet yes on that. Square stopped printing it awhile ago. It's maintained a consistent used price (~$25) and I've sold a few sealed ones in the $50-$60 range.

^^^ that is funny for the valkyrie profile, and i guess it is probably true: it is out of print as as the PSP sells more and more systems over the next 5 years or so, then the # of people who want it will go up, but the number of copies out there will stay the same since it is OOP. so it could sell for silly money.

Ones I'm curious about (all are first pressings; no "greatest hits" versions):

Sega Genesis
------------------
Ys III (Genesis)

Sega CD
-----------
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue

Sony Playstation
---------------------
Persona
Persona 2
Suikoden
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
Arc the Lad Collection (This one's sentimental, as I ran a petition for it b4 WD got it)
King's Field (back when they used the big cases)
Ogre Battle
Tobal 2 (Japan)

[quote name='aznguyen316']pretty sweet thread!

Nocturne, Personas, Digital Devil Sagas... thanks![/QUOTE]

I think Nocturne is the rarest, next is Digital Devil Saga 1, Persona 3? or maybe 2..

For DDS2, that's a common thing, maybe more uncommon.

At least that's what I think and my going to those two GS threads constantly.

[quote name='Methadon']Ones I'm curious about (all are first pressings; no "greatest hits" versions):

Sega Genesis
------------------
Ys III (Genesis)

Sega CD
-----------
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue

Sony Playstation
---------------------
Persona
Persona 2
Suikoden
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
Arc the Lad Collection (This one's sentimental, as I ran a petition for it b4 WD got it)
King's Field (back when they used the big cases)
Ogre Battle
Tobal 2 (Japan)[/QUOTE]

I think the Persona series is worth something. The same with the Lunar series, but I'm not too sure on that one. I have it all completed as well, but I don't think it's too sought after.

Suikoden is pretty rare the same goes for Arc the Lad (not too sure on this).

The rest I'm not too sure. I'm tempted to say they're inbetween an uncommon and a rare..

I feel like a collector answering this even..

[quote name='aznguyen316']pretty sweet thread!

Nocturne, Personas, Digital Devil Sagas... thanks![/QUOTE]

check the closed auctions on ebay. dds 1 goes for a little over $110 if it is complete with everything mint. If it is just game, disc and manual it goes for $75. New it is about $150 to $175

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=2&fgtp=

Nocturne goes for about that as well, $75 to $95 ish as well

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=2

persona 3 is apparently already rare, it goes for $65 new on ebay

persona 1 goes for a lot of money for some reason about $55 complete or $30 disc only.
http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...&saobfmts=insif&_trksid=m37&sadis=200&guest=1

. It is by far my least favorite, it plays more like dragon warrior 1, if there was any way to avoid the battles every 4 steps it would be awesome

devil summoner and dds 2 go for about $20 each

persona 2 is apparently going for $50 complete

is yoshi for the nes with orignal manual and packaging worth anything?
also earthbound for snes. i played through it once i got it at a yardsale when i was like 10 for a dollar.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']I think Nocturne is the rarest, next is Digital Devil Saga 1, Persona 3? or maybe 2..

For DDS2, that's a common thing, maybe more uncommon.

At least that's what I think and my going to those two GS threads constantly.

I think the Persona series is worth something. The same with the Lunar series, but I'm not too sure on that one. I have it all completed as well, but I don't think it's too sought after.

Suikoden is pretty rare the same goes for Arc the Lad (not too sure on this).

The rest I'm not too sure. I'm tempted to say they're inbetween an uncommon and a rare..

I feel like a collector answering this even..[/quote]

I think this thread is *for* collectors :) I'm missing some that used to be part of my collection:

Saturn - Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Fighting Vipers & Grandia LE (I still have part of the packaging).

who would ever, ever give up earthbound, obviously you can tell im a fan. i remember buying it brand new in that huge box a babages near my house. greatest game of all time. i seriously would not sell it even if someone offer 200 bucks for it, but thats just me. I should say that i have never played chrono trigger but wouldnt shell out the money for it considering i dont know if i would like it

[quote name='buffdrew84']who would ever, ever give up earthbound, obviously you can tell im a fan. i remember buying it brand new in that huge box a babages near my house. greatest game of all time. i seriously would not sell it even if someone offer 200 bucks for it, but thats just me. I should say that i have never played chrono trigger but wouldnt shell out the money for it considering i dont know if i would like it[/quote]

Wow, is EB rare now? I remember when it came out me and my best friend (we were both big RPG nuts) thought it was God awful! My only interest in the NES version was because I was in the romhacking scene at the time, and that we were calling it Earthbound 0 since part 2 was our part 1.

Anyway, I maintain that EB still sucks ;P

Here are a few I'm curious about:

PS2:
-Metal Gear Solid:Subsistence 3 (sealed)
-Baldurs Gate:Dark Alliance 2 (sealed)
-Tales of Legendia
-FF:Tactics (Greatest Hits)
-Valk Prof Silmeria
-Atielier iris 3: Grand Phantasm (sealed)

Sega Genesis:
-Gunstar Heroes
-Comix Zone

I mean, I can see the prices on Ebay, but Im not sure if thats just weird inflation, or typical rarity.

Thanks for the input guys, by the way, I'm sure all of us appreciate you all charing your expertise in the area of rare games :)

[quote name='reicaden']Here are a few I'm curious about:

Sega Genesis:
-Gunstar Heroes
-Comix Zone

I mean, I can see the prices on Ebay, but Im not sure if thats just weird inflation, or typical rarity.

Thanks for the input guys, by the way, I'm sure all of us appreciate you all charing your expertise in the area of rare games :)[/QUOTE]

GH: Hard to find...Not worth more than $15
CZ: Not frequently seen, but still common...Not worth more than $10

Anyone know how much Final Fantasy X, black label and sealed, is worth? Because I picked it up at five bucks at a fleamarket today to play it, only to find out that it's going for $250+ on eBay Buy it Now. :D

[quote name='buffdrew84']who would ever, ever give up earthbound, obviously you can tell im a fan. i remember buying it brand new in that huge box a babages near my house. greatest game of all time. i seriously would not sell it even if someone offer 200 bucks for it, but thats just me. I should say that i have never played chrono trigger but wouldnt shell out the money for it considering i dont know if i would like it[/quote]

Thats kind of a funny statement you make and can stand strong with arguments for games are to expensive nowdays. If you were old enough to buy games on your own in the NES,SNES,Genesis era you would know games were alot more expensive back then.

I think I remember Phantasy Star IV retailing at gamestores for $90.00. Hell I even paid $75 for Chrono Trigger when it first came out at Bestbuy. If anyone remember's the game Genghis Kahn (maybe typo) which I think was the birth game for the Romance of the three kingdoms games for NES I think that retailed at around $80. Either way back then retailers would slap all kinds of random prices on games and us or our parents would shell out for them, but today people do not want to pay those prices anymore unless is a LE version or something. Me personally I would not pay those prices anymore.

[quote name='Unickuta']Anyone know how much Final Fantasy X, black label and sealed, is worth? Because I picked it up at five bucks at a fleamarket today to play it, only to find out that it's going for $250+ on eBay Buy it Now. :D[/quote]

Whoa, nice.

Wish i had bought it black label... all i could find was GH though, when i looked for it :(

bread's done
Back