The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='dios']
God of war Black label sealed
[/QUOTE]

I like how any great/popular game on the PS2 multiplies in value so much if it's black label and sealed.:lol:

I have Persona 1 disc only it has a sticker on the CD but other than that its in great shape how much is it worth? Im not going to sell it I am just curious of the value since I got it for $1.

[quote name='Vinny']I like how any great/popular game on the PS2 multiplies in value so much if it's black label and sealed.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Kinda makes me wish i bought extra copies of kingdom hearts 1 and 2 when they hit 19.99 so i can put them away for later. bah. dems the breaks.

Got a question for everyone that just popped into my head while I was doing some spring cleaning in my place.

I think we can all agree that having the box/case and manual for a game will definatly increase it's value , but what about accessories? I've kept the boxes for many different controllers and other stuff that I've bought over the years and just wondered if the boxes and instructions for accessories affected the price of them in the same way they do for games.

I would think not if only for the fact that the secondary market for accessories is much smaller than for the games themselves , combined with the fact that most controllers and stuff come in the plastic shells now instead of boxes , which really aren't saveable.

[quote name='dios']Kinda makes me wish i bought extra copies of kingdom hearts 1 and 2 when they hit 19.99 so i can put them away for later. bah. dems the breaks.[/QUOTE]

Nah, that's just a waste. I can tell you that's probably not true in most cases. I stopped opening my games a few years back until I actually got around to playing them. I still have a ton of sealed PS2/XB/GC games and almost all of them are barely worth more than a used copy.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Got a question for everyone that just popped into my head while I was doing some spring cleaning in my place.

I think we can all agree that having the box/case and manual for a game will definatly increase it's value , but what about accessories? I've kept the boxes for many different controllers and other stuff that I've bought over the years and just wondered if the boxes and instructions for accessories affected the price of them in the same way they do for games.

I would think not if only for the fact that the secondary market for accessories is much smaller than for the games themselves , combined with the fact that most controllers and stuff come in the plastic shells now instead of boxes , which really aren't saveable.[/QUOTE]

Most accessories usually aren't highly sought after... so they have no value. This is especially true for controllers as there's tons of them out there and most people don't care to have the box for their controllers.

There are rare and valuable accessories though... the SuperScope and R.O.B. are two examples and having the boxes/manuals for those do increase values.

[quote name='facemeat']I would advise against that. If you absolutely have to check out the extras, I'd go with selling the sealed copy and buying a used one for cheaper.[/quote]

advice heeded.. just ended up keeping my regular edition oblivion to use to play and the CE is just sittin in my game collection

[quote name='dios']Kinda makes me wish i bought extra copies of kingdom hearts 1 and 2 when they hit 19.99 so i can put them away for later. bah. dems the breaks.[/quote]

I'm hoping the Sears near me will clearance the Non-GH copies of KH II they have. I played and beat the game but I would like to get it back on the cheap to put back in my collection.

[quote name='Chitown021']I'm hoping the Sears near me will clearance the Non-GH copies of KH II they have. I played and beat the game but I would like to get it back on the cheap to put back in my collection.[/QUOTE]

A Kmart near me had two copies of KHII non-GH for $20. I saw it randomly one day and picked it up... I saw that the other one was still there a few weeks back... wondering if I should pick that one up too.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Shady3011']Is Persona 3 going to retain its lucrativeness now that FES has been announced?[/quote]

Factory sealed & mint copies with the box, artbook, and soundtrack will.

[quote name='aznguyen316']it was said earlier in the thread that "rare" games on 360 include Oblivion CE T for Teen. I have a sealed one.. you think sometime in the future this will be worth anything? B/c I'm tempted to open it to check out the extras lol[/quote]
for a game thats $20 now i dont think you want to do that.

[quote name='dios']Found more to put on the list o.o

Resident Evil 2 gamecube sealed
Resident Evil 3 gamecube sealed
Resident Evil CV:X gamecube sealed
God of war Black label sealed
Elder Scrolls 4 oblivion CE with Teen rating xbox 360
Castlevania Anniversary Box of goodies that game with Potrait of Ruin.[/quote]
since the reprinting of RE2/3 for the GC the value of those are no more than $30 (sometimes youre lucky to sell them sealed at that price). RECVX is still pretty rare sealed. probably around $70-$80 (and like always, it usually depends on the buyer and the day you end the auction).

as for GoW original, the value went down. right before the launch of the 2nd game it was selling for $80-$100 (i was on a hunt for it myself). now its half of that. maybe in a year or so it'll get high again. remember that this game is a million seller game.. it'll take time to for the value to rise up again. but it might change since GoW3 is coming maybe this year or next.

the castlevania anniversary promo freebie is rare. i have an incomplete copy but still really nice.. hold onto it much longer.

[quote name='Shady3011']Is Persona 3 going to retain its lucrativeness now that FES has been announced?[/quote]
i think it will since the game wasn't even in print for more than 5 months (i think they only printed it once imo). i think atlus held onto their copies to sell it faster then redistributed the remaining a few months later. one should consider that possibly closer to 1/3 of the copies sold are being kept sealed for collection and auction purposes.

I think most of my rare games come from my Sega CD and Sega Saturn. I've got all the Working Design titles, however....I can't seem to find my copy of Dragon Force anywhere. Wonder how much that goes for.

I am also looking for Keio Flying Squadron on the Sega CD, I haven't seen that on eBay in years.

So here are my rarest games I own (these are all complete and in great condition):

Radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Snatcher (which I am giving to a friend for his Metal Gear Collection)
Rondo of Blood

So are these still rare?

I remember seeing so many rare games as clearence items and because I already owned them I always passed them up.

Suikoden 2 for 5.50 at Target
Shining Force 3 for 10 bucks at Wal-mart
Secret of Mana for $3.95 at Heck's

I'll let you know in a few hours. I put my complete but used copy on eBay the day FES was officially announced and it's at $42 now.. I prob won't get the $60 range of previous auctions but people are paying the worth of the soundtrack and art book at the least.

oh and this is only a 3 day auction.

Oh i just remembered i have a sealed Shenmue 2 on xbox non platinum hits. i dont know if its worth anything * cant find sealed copies on ebay or amazon, and used ones go up for around 24.99. * i just wanted it because i liked the game when i played it.

I think sealed copies of Persona 3 should remain pretty high. Opened copies might still fetch a decent amount, due to the extras, but it obviously won't be a DDS1 or Nocturne situation, where people are playing obscene amounts for opened copies, often without the extra content.

one of my local pawn shops had a copy of RE4 Gamestop edition in a tin...Is that rare? It was $7 so i didnt pick it up.

Does anyone know anything about Metal Warriors for the SNES? Is it rare? I see people bidding top dollar for that game on eBay with torn labels and all.

I have a complete and mint copy, which is why I ask.

[quote name='Sinnbox']one of my local pawn shops had a copy of RE4 Gamestop edition in a tin...Is that rare? It was $7 so i didnt pick it up.[/quote]

for 7 bucks i'd buy it for myself if it were complete...however i don't think it's worth too much though, i used to see these all the time at gamestop. i think last time i checked they went for max 25 or 30 on ebay though you may want to check.

[quote name='blaked569']for 7 bucks i'd buy it for myself if it were complete...however i don't think it's worth too much though, i used to see these all the time at gamestop. i think last time i checked they went for max 25 or 30 on ebay though you may want to check.[/quote]

Cool, ill check, It probably gone by now, I would have goten it for myself, but i forgot i had sold mine....

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Does anyone know anything about Metal Warriors for the SNES? Is it rare? I see people bidding top dollar for that game on eBay with torn labels and all.

I have a complete and mint copy, which is why I ask.[/quote]

Metal Warriors sells for about $52 on average on eBay, Amazon, and Half. According to VideoGamePriceCharts.com. Your mint copy should be worth a pretty good more than this because it is the average price.

DigitPress only lists it as a 3 on the rarity scale though.

[quote name='evilomar']
So here are my rarest games I own (these are all complete and in great condition):

Radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Snatcher (which I am giving to a friend for his Metal Gear Collection)
Rondo of Blood

So are these still rare?
[/quote]

Panzer Dragoon Saga is very rare. It sells for about $200 on average

[quote name='jjgames']Panzer Dragoon Saga is very rare. It sells for about $200 on average[/quote]

Damn I wish I would've hung onto my copy for awhile longer. I sold it several years ago for $100. Right after the Saturn died I picked up all of the last wave games at TRU on clearance. I got Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, House of the Dead, and Magicknight Rayearth. They're all now long gone from my collection.

I have owned 4 different copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga, but each time, the value tempted me to sell them. Still wish I had kept one.

[quote name='jjgames']Metal Warriors sells for about $52 on average on eBay, Amazon, and Half. According to VideoGamePriceCharts.com. Your mint copy should be worth a pretty good more than this because it is the average price.

DigitPress only lists it as a 3 on the rarity scale though.[/quote]

GOOD GOD! :shock:

I had no idea it was that valuable! I bought a bunch of boxed games from this one guy a few days ago, and this game was part of the stash. Thanks! :)

I know where this game is going this weekend. ;)

[quote name='PooperScooper1900']Is Wild Arms 5 sealed in the cardboard box thingy worth anything/might be in the future[/QUOTE]

No, it has little potential really. The Wild Arms series doesn't have a cult esque following to ensure high collector value. But who knows, in the future it might.

I'm surprised Persona 3 hasn't plummeted yet.. there's been a slight drop but people are still paying insane amounts for sealed copies.

[quote name='PooperScooper1900']Is Wild Arms 5 sealed in the cardboard box thingy worth anything/might be in the future[/quote]

Right now Wild Arms 5 isn't worth a ton, $29, but a sealed copy might be worth a decent amount down the road judging by the chart and the fact that it is a niche RPG. Those are almost always worth more to collectors. Vinny is right though, it is not as popular of a series but sometimes that helps the value.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']GOOD GOD! :shock:

I had no idea it was that valuable! I bought a bunch of boxed games from this one guy a few days ago, and this game was part of the stash. Thanks! :)

I know where this game is going this weekend. ;)[/quote]

Great find. Get any other good games in the package? It sure is fun to find those diamonds in the rough.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Tales of the Abyss ps2?
and Alundra 2 for ps1?[/quote]

Tales of the abyss is very common right now. Seald stuff goes mid 30's. Check your local walmarts. Some still have them and they are $19.99

Alundra 2 isn't rare or valuable at all.

[quote name='schuerm26']Tales of the abyss is very common right now. Seald stuff goes mid 30's. Check your local walmarts. Some still have them and they are $19.99

Alundra 2 isn't rare or valuable at all.[/quote]thinking about buying it at kmart for $12.98
what about tales of symphonia?

I've always wondered if the XB GTA Trilogy is worth anything. I'm pretty sure it's long out of print, and though I see the PS2 version and the XB Double Pack on shelves all the time, it's been a long time since I've seen the XB version of the trilogy.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']thinking about buying it at kmart for $12.98
what about tales of symphonia?[/quote]

pretty common also. Those are two to hang on to if you can find them sealed. They will be held in high regard once Tales games start coming out for the PS3 or 360

[quote name='schuerm26']pretty common also. Those are two to hang on to if you can find them sealed. They will be held in high regard once Tales games start coming out for the PS3 or 360[/quote]

Ya, im an idiot, I just sold a sealed copy of Tales of the Abyss for $30 last week. Oh well, with good luck ill come across another.

[quote name='schuerm26']pretty common also. Those are two to hang on to if you can find them sealed. They will be held in high regard once Tales games start coming out for the PS3 or 360[/quote]
i found both at my local kmart
symphonia was $19.99 and abyss was $12.98
i can only get one though..
which should i get?

[quote name='JJSP']I've always wondered if the XB GTA Trilogy is worth anything. I'm pretty sure it's long out of print, and though I see the PS2 version and the XB Double Pack on shelves all the time, it's been a long time since I've seen the XB version of the trilogy.[/quote]

GTA Trilogy has been getting more expensive and is about $44 nows. I haven't seen this in stores in a while either so it makes sense.

what about tsugunai: atonement? last one is saw on ebay went for $50+ but there's a bunch going for cheap, incomplete though...

[quote name='idd0tt']what about tsugunai: atonement? last one is saw on ebay went for $50+ but there's a bunch going for cheap, incomplete though...[/quote]

The $50 auction is difficult to explain. It might be worth about that much sealed, but complete copies don't seem to go for more than $10-15. I guess it was just an anomaly or maybe the result of schill bidding.

I asked earlier in the week if Metal Warriors was rare, and learned that it was... My complete copy just sold on eBay for a whopping $168!!! :D

If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known it was rare... Thought it was a crap title when I received it. :)

[quote name='idd0tt']what about tsugunai: atonement? last one is saw on ebay went for $50+ but there's a bunch going for cheap, incomplete though...[/quote]
considering that game sold very poorly but with a reason. you couldnt even sell that game used for $15 last year. they had a sealed copy at fye for $50 still and i was looking to buy it but when i checked ebay, it was almost a joke.
[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Alundra 2 for ps1?[/quote]
i think the problem with alundra 2 is that it was published by activision, not Working Designs. its silly to think that the value of the game is based on its publisher.. but if you compare their review scores with each other they're not that far. i dunno why WD didnt pick this title.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I asked earlier in the week if Metal Warriors was rare, and learned that it was... My complete copy just sold on eBay for a whopping $168!!! :D

If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known it was rare... Thought it was a crap title when I received it. :)[/quote]

Congratulations. Glad we could help you realize the value of a game you had.

I've got a complete (boxed) Game Boy I'm looking to get rid of. The box is in mint condition, as is the actual Game Boy. Any idea what something like that fetches - I've tried searching for it, but there's almost no listings for complete and boxed systems.

ive got a loose copy of this laying around which i rarely play,
Street Fighter II World Warrior, worth anything? Mario World 2 Yoshis Island and Mario all star

[quote name='phear3d']considering that game sold very poorly but with a reason. you couldnt even sell that game used for $15 last year. they had a sealed copy at fye for $50 still and i was looking to buy it but when i checked ebay, it was almost a joke.

i think the problem with alundra 2 is that it was published by activision, not Working Designs. its silly to think that the value of the game is based on its publisher.. but if you compare their review scores with each other they're not that far. i dunno why WD didnt pick this title.[/QUOTE]

I think WD wasn't happy with the direction of Alundra 2... I mean, WD always published old school, niche games but Alundra 2 looked and played more like your typical 3D RPG.

Oh, and Alundra 2 sucked compared to Alundra.;)

[quote name='LilPaintballer']
Street Fighter II World Warrior, worth anything?[/quote]
marvel vs. capcom (including Xmen and Marvel Vs Street Fighter) and the SF games for the dreamcast are the only ones that holds some value.

I know it won't be super rare or anything, but what about the value of Suikoden III for the original print run? It seems there's some difference with if a security seal/strip being present on the first batch vs later editions. I don't really know anything about it...I bought the game at launch and still have a sealed copy because I wound up playing my roommate's copy before having to decide whether I wanted to keep the game or not. If I could just get my original 50$ back on ebay, I would be thrilled.

Same with Growlanser Deluxe, except I paid 100$ for that archaic collection...only time I've ever been let down by a Working Designs product. If only I had known my first college roommate was going to wind up being a hardcore gamer way back when...

[quote name='darkcecil32']I know it won't be super rare or anything, but what about the value of Suikoden III for the original print run? It seems there's some difference with if a security seal/strip being present on the first batch vs later editions. I don't really know anything about it...I bought the game at launch and still have a sealed copy because I wound up playing my roommate's copy before having to decide whether I wanted to keep the game or not. If I could just get my original 50$ back on ebay, I would be thrilled.

Same with Growlanser Deluxe, except I paid 100$ for that archaic collection...only time I've ever been let down by a Working Designs product. If only I had known my first college roommate was going to wind up being a hardcore gamer way back when...[/quote]
suikoden 3 is worth around 30 bucks. i dont think theres any difference between the reprint. its too bad the value of that game went down. i remember it being one of the first rare games ive sold on ebay (sold it for $76 when it was hard to find). growlanser generations is worth around 30-40 for the game itself. so maybe 50 bucks for the deluxe set. even the sealed deluxe doesn't sell for much. it was before heritage war came out (fetching for $100+) but since that game was crap the value went down.

bread's done
Back