The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

Now I know this is rare as digital press has a rarity of 5. The value they list is only $20. Any opinions on what I should list it for? A lot of the values I have found on Digital Press are often wrong. There aren't any on Ebay or Amazon.

DSCF0017.jpg

I find DigitPress's prices to be pretty spot on most of the time. Just because a game may be considered rare, it doesn't mean it's valuable.

Biker Mice From Mars for the SNES is an R5, but it's worth only about $12 loose, which is about its going rate on eBay.

One quick example is that they have Final Fantasy VII worth $10 Complete

They have Team Buddies for the Playstation at $30 when you could sell it in about a nanosecond for at least $20 more. You could probably list it for $70 and it would sell within 3 days.

there are lot's more of them.

Im not saying that Primal Rage isn't worth what they state, but there are tons of completely wrong values on there. I wanted to get other people's opinions on the value of it considering Primal Rage for the 32x isn't on ebay or amazon at all. There aren't any completed listings either. Hell amazon doesn't even let you choose Primal Rage for the 32x.

[quote name='Vinny']You know, it's weird how we haven't seen any exclusive colors for consoles this gen, at least in the US. I think the red RE5 360 is the only one. [/quote]

There was also the green Halo 3 360. And I think the MGS4 PS3 was dark gray instead of black.

[quote name='schuerm26']Now I know this is rare as digital press has a rarity of 5. The value they list is only $20. Any opinions on what I should list it for? A lot of the values I have found on Digital Press are often wrong. There aren't any on Ebay or Amazon.

DSCF0017.jpg
[/quote]

The Sega 32X Rarity List on RarityGuide.com has it as $55 CIB

There's also a GTAIV, Simpson's, and Ninja Gaiden II 360.
Well yeah but I don't think those were for sale at retail, right?

While we're on the subject of colors, someone help me out with my unanswered GBA question! I'm listing more Sealed Platinum GBAs this evening, and was just wondering if I should be asking more than my standard $115 shipped BIN price

[quote name='Vinny']Holy crap... that is fucking awesome. You know, it's weird how we haven't seen any exclusive colors for consoles this gen, at least in the US. I think the red RE5 360 is the only one.

I'll have to keep my eye out for one of these but I'm guessing they're rare as hell going by what that guy said.[/quote]

Theres a decent amount of colors on the 360

Green halo edition
red RE5 edition
Black elite
White regular

What do you guys think about this. I have the opportunity to pick one up for $30 with headphones/chargers

It is a Special Edition Pikachu Gameboy Advance, from what i read you could only get it at TRU(?). Theres some completed listings on ebay but not that many.

Heres a pic:
2005020773661.jpg

[quote name='sarge1991']What do you guys think about this. I have the opportunity to pick one up for $30 with headphones/chargers

It is a Special Edition Pikachu Gameboy Advance, from what i read you could only get it at TRU(?). Theres some completed listings on ebay but not that many.

Heres a pic:
2005020773661.jpg
[/quote]

I sold one of those about 1 year ago for $60 - $70 plus shipping via auction. I can't exactly remember where it ended. Not sure if that is the true value or not, that is just where it ended. It was the system and charger.

I'd say it is worth around $50 to $60 without the box, with the box it should be worth around $100, and double that if sealed.

I have a sealed resident evil collection for the gamecube (the one with 0/remake/4) It was a gamestop exclusive. Does anyone know its price point i see an amazon seller has it for 299.95 sealed but i dont know about that.

In case anyone was wondering, found out what the Suikoden IV promos - coin, s/t, and wall scroll - sealed are worth. Sold them all together for $67 on Ebay.

[quote name='s2k']I have a sealed resident evil collection for the gamecube (the one with 0/remake/4) It was a gamestop exclusive. Does anyone know its price point i see an amazon seller has it for 299.95 sealed but i dont know about that.[/quote]

I think that is pretty much pie in the sky s--t. I wouldn't expect anywhere close to that.

Need some help on these board games.

Im pretty sure they are rare. No clue what to price them at. I didn't see them on the Rarityguide.com site that has been posted a couple times.

DSCF0026-1.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

They are pretty sweet games so Im hesitant about selling them. They are NBC Sports in Action games.

also i found for snes games in a box on the street 2 days ago and wondering if anyone knows price points. Might just sell the whole box on ebay
these just caught my eyes but the rest of box has normal games like supermario and donky kong county and stuff
boogerman a pick and flick adventure
kirby superstar
megaman x3
castlevania dracula x

[quote name='s2k']also i found for snes games in a box on the street 2 days ago and wondering if anyone knows price points. Might just sell the whole box on ebay
these just caught my eyes but the rest of box has normal games like supermario and donky kong county and stuff
boogerman a pick and flick adventure
kirby superstar
megaman x3
castlevania dracula x[/quote]

There was a box of SNES games just sitting on the street and you got these for free? Or was there some vendor that you bought them from, and the ones you listed were the ones you bought just because they caught your eye?

[quote name='schuerm26']Need some help on these board games.

Im pretty sure they are rare. No clue what to price them at. I didn't see them on the Rarityguide.com site that has been posted a couple times.

DSCF0026-1.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

They are pretty sweet games so Im hesitant about selling them. They are NBC Sports in Action games.[/quote]

I asked my friend who collects board games (and also edits our board game rarity guide section) and he says those games are cool, but not worth much (maybe $10 each or $20 if sealed) since they are not really sought after.

[quote name='s2k']I have a sealed resident evil collection for the gamecube (the one with 0/remake/4) It was a gamestop exclusive. Does anyone know its price point i see an amazon seller has it for 299.95 sealed but i dont know about that.[/QUOTE]

Morons list lots of things for ridiculous prices on Amazon... while I'm sure they rarely sell at those prices, if they do then at least the seller can rejoice.

The RE 10th Anniversary Collection is pretty rare, I've seen it go in the $60 for complete copies in good shape but for a sealed one, I would guess it could easily hit the $100-150 range. But I would honestly hold on to it. It will most likely keep going up in price, especially for a sealed copy.

[quote name='dhrez']In case anyone was wondering, found out what the Suikoden IV promos - coin, s/t, and wall scroll - sealed are worth. Sold them all together for $67 on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Nice, so they are going up in value possibly. Congrats.

[quote name='chronodev']I asked my friend who collects board games (and also edits our board game rarity guide section) and he says those games are cool, but not worth much (maybe $10 each or $20 if sealed) since they are not really sought after.[/quote]

Thanks. Ill toss them up for a bit more to see if I can get some bites. Otherwise ill just keep them. Thanks.

anyone think that tales of vesperia for 360 is gonna be one of those rare games like mvsc2? I know vesperia sold like crap, even selling less than ToS for the Wii. But looking on ebay and TiV at some stores it seems to fetch a good price still.

[quote name='decrot']anyone think that tales of vesperia for 360 is gonna be one of those rare games like mvsc2? I know vesperia sold like crap, even selling less than ToS for the Wii. But looking on ebay and TiV at some stores it seems to fetch a good price still.[/QUOTE]

Unlikely since it's being release on the PS3. And chances are, the PS3 version will be superior so the demand for the 360 version will likely go down.

[quote name='decrot']anyone think that tales of vesperia for 360 is gonna be one of those rare games like mvsc2? I know vesperia sold like crap, even selling less than ToS for the Wii. But looking on ebay and TiV at some stores it seems to fetch a good price still.[/QUOTE]

The difference is Capcom can't reprint MvC2. Nothing is stopping Namco from printing more copies.

This apparently was a pre-order DVD for Xenosaga II. It contains all the cut scenes from the first Xenosaga in movie form apparently.

From a website:

Namco Hometek has announced a pre-order campaign for Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Boese. Those who pre-order the Monolith Software-developed PlayStation 2 title in January will receive a limited edition Xenosaga movie DVD containing more than four hours of movie sequences from Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht.

Any thoughts on value?

DSCF0003.jpg

[quote name='wwfward']I found an official Sony PSP 2200 mAH 3.6 V Battery. It looks like this:

http://gizmodo.com/5035108/sony-discontinues-psp-extended-battery-pack

Is that rare?[/QUOTE]

No. In fact, Gamefunk was just selling stamina batteries for $13 shipped earlier this week.

However, as it has been discontinued, it may be worth something in the future? I guess it depends on how long these kinds of batteries retain their life, and how long the older-model PSPs see use (due to their emulation uses, they may be popular for some time)

So that's where you got the extended battery and needed a new cover!

I need to write down a list of all the games at my local pawnshops and rarecheck them

[quote name='62t']The difference is Capcom can't reprint MvC2. Nothing is stopping Namco from printing more copies.[/quote]

I've always wondered about this. Can Capcom not reprint the game anymore because they lost the Marvel license? Or is there some other reason?

[quote name='jjgames']I've always wondered about this. Can Capcom not reprint the game anymore because they lost the Marvel license? Or is there some other reason?[/quote]

It's because they don't own the Marvel license.

[quote name='Shady3011']It's because they don't own the Marvel license.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there a rumor that it was coming to XB Marketplace and PS Store?

[quote name='Vinny']Wasn't there a rumor that it was coming to XB Marketplace and PS Store?[/quote]

I believe that stems from a panel Marvel had at SDCC last year where they said they were highly interested in bringing back the franchise.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Marvel's VP of interactive media Justin Lambros says he hopes to see Marvel vs. Capcom make its way to digital download. The main focus of the story for Gamasutra is supposed to be about EA's new Marvel Fighting Game, but following EA's aptly named Rise of the Imperfects, which was far beyond imperfect, you'll bear with us as we don't get excited about that and focus on Marvel vs. Capcom.

Lambros answers Gamasutra's questions about Marvel vs. Capcom appearing on Xbox Live by saying, "I'm a huge 2D fighting fan ... the Marvel vs. Capcom stuff has a definite close place in my heart, so we definitely wanna see that stuff live on." He says that there are no deals in place, but they may be considering it. Maybe when Capcom has Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (with a side of cole slaw) completed, they can get to work updating Marvel vs. Capcom, let's keep Udon working.

from joystiq 2 years ago

it is possible but as for the physical format, no one knows really. but theres lot of playstation 2's out there so i dont see why not. the install base for both xbox 360, and ps3 isn't close to what the ps2 have.

[quote name='schuerm26']This apparently was a pre-order DVD for Xenosaga II. It contains all the cut scenes from the first Xenosaga in movie form apparently.

Any thoughts on value?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's that rare. Maybe $10 to $15? Xenosaga isn't Final Fantasy or anything.

Now Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Limited Edition is rare. I know a bundle of the game (sealed), strategy guide (sealed or not), and Saga Vol. 1 would fetch a pretty penny.

Sadly I don't have the guide, but am looking for it everywhere. It's one of the items missing from my US MGS game/guide collection, with the other item being the Portable Ops guide.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Everyone went ape shit when the ESRB rated MvC2 for the 360 and PS3. This is pretty much everyone's definitive "proof" that it will be on XBL and PSN. The rating was discovered back in the fall, though, and no one has heard a peep since.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/esrb-rates-marvel-vs-capcom-2-for-ps3-xbox-360/[/quote]

I can't find the link right now - but recently it came up again because some big tournament site listed their Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 as being on the PS3 and people went apeshit and start emailing the site and they said they couldn't comment on it or something. I didn't really follow it to much since I'm not a fighting game super fan but my buddy was all excited.

The metal gear saga vol 1 doesn't go for much as it did before. It's funny how there was so much of it before and without even a year have passed there's only a few listed on eBay.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Now Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Limited Edition is rare. I know a bundle of the game (sealed), strategy guide (sealed or not), and Saga Vol. 1 would fetch a pretty penny.

Sadly I don't have the guide, but am looking for it everywhere. It's one of the items missing from my US MGS game/guide collection, with the other item being the Portable Ops guide.[/QUOTE]

I have the guide. Never opened it or used it.

I sold the LE for $300 on Amazon a bit ago.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']So should anyone that has MvC2 on PS2 sell it now and re-buy after the price declines?[/quote]

I don't necessarily think re-releases on download services like XBL, PSN, or VC change the price of original games. The original is still rare and people like having it as a collectors item.

I'm actually doing some research into this right now about the VC's effect on resale values. So far I don't see any correlation between a re-release and resale value but the research just started.

[quote name='jjgames']I don't necessarily think re-releases on download services like XBL, PSN, or VC change the price of original games. The original is still rare and people like having it as a collectors item.

I'm actually doing some research into this right now about the VC's effect on resale values. So far I don't see any correlation between a re-release and resale value but the research just started.[/quote]

In the short term, re-releases are known for dropping the original's prices slightly, but it does spark interest in the original, as well.

The truth in a re-release's effect on the original will have to be a longitudinal study (unfortunately).

What would you put the worth at for Nights: Into Dreams with analog controller? I have two of them both with controller - one's disc only and the other comes with the jewel case too(neither have boxes or manuals unfortunately). The completed listings are all over the place it seems... I was thinking it could go for $25-30 but I saw a one-bid auction that went for $60(it wasn't complete either, just the controller and game in the jewel case)

[quote name='MasterSun1']I don't think it's that rare. Maybe $10 to $15? Xenosaga isn't Final Fantasy or anything.[/QUOTE]

It was rare initially, used to sell for $30 around the time of Xenosaga II. But they dropped quickly- $10 is a good estimate for it but not surprising as most pre-order bonuses don't seem to hold their value anyway.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Now Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Limited Edition is rare. I know a bundle of the game (sealed), strategy guide (sealed or not), and Saga Vol. 1 would fetch a pretty penny.

Sadly I don't have the guide, but am looking for it everywhere. It's one of the items missing from my US MGS game/guide collection, with the other item being the Portable Ops guide.[/QUOTE]

MGS3S LE actually started going up a lot since MGS4 as did other MGS titles but only the Subsistence LE seems to have continued its upward climb.

Speaking of the MGS3 LE guide though, I recently came across 3 of them... the first I bought intentionally (still sealed) but then I came across two more locally (one sealed, one complete). I had to buy them with a lot of other guides (the seller didn't wanna split them) though. I'm thinking they might be worth holding on to.

[quote name='jjgames']I don't necessarily think re-releases on download services like XBL, PSN, or VC change the price of original games. The original is still rare and people like having it as a collectors item.

I'm actually doing some research into this right now about the VC's effect on resale values. So far I don't see any correlation between a re-release and resale value but the research just started.[/QUOTE]

I agree with JJ, with the more recent digital releases of Suikoden and SotN, the values for physical copies have held up well.

at some point i disagree...

ikaruga for the gamecube. its interesting that a shooter that good would fall down in price.

if you look at that link from VGPC, the announcement was made pretty much around february and soon people have caught on i guess and the price went from around $63 down to $40 and have continued to go down ever since.

my theory is that maybe because of the xbox live arcade version's superiority being that its HD over the original

another HD remake was Rez. it was announced that on sept 07 that it will come out for the marketplace. its gone down hill but was able to pick itself up a couple of times and now its down to around $22 average which is an all time low.

one more.. Puzzle Fighter HD.. the PF for ps1 was at steady $40 before the announcement april 07 and saw a small spike around that time as well. but fell down ever since..

thanks to JJ's site we dont have to hire the experts :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='phear3d']the only affect i saw was ikaruga for the gamecube. its interesting that a shooter that good would fall down in price.

if you look at that link from VGPC, the announcement was made pretty much around february and soon people have caught on i guess and the price went from around $63 down to $40 and have continued to go down ever since.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Now that I think about it, Rez is another one. I remember it going for $80+ but the XBL release made it almost worth nothing now... at least Ikaruga held some value.

BTW, why did Gitaroo Man fall in price? I can't remember... was it reprinted?

bread's done
Back