The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='philinchio']I have GunForce for SNES 100% complete in the box. Is it worth much?[/QUOTE]
Ebay item # 160387423071. Buy It Now Price $22.

I have a still sealed in original box Nintendo published (not the other one) TETRIS for the NES. How rare is this? Also any trade offers?

[quote name='machoman_93']Does anyone know if Persona 3, the version with the Artbook and Bonus CD, is any rare? I think it was only available with preorders? I was able to get a sealed one today because my local K-Mart was closing.[/QUOTE]

It's probably worth the same price when it was first release. I have like two copies. With one copy, i found a month ago. Just wait a couple of years.

[quote name='shaowebb']I have a still sealed in original box Nintendo published (not the other one) TETRIS for the NES. How rare is this? Also any trade offers?[/QUOTE]
the only tetris sealed or not that has some sort of value is a tengen tetris and tetris ds (1st party nintendo). tetris ds is also one of the most bootleged games sold on ebay.

[quote name='machoman_93']Does anyone know if Persona 3, the version with the Artbook and Bonus CD, is any rare? I think it was only available with preorders? I was able to get a sealed one today because my local K-Mart was closing.[/QUOTE]

That one isn't worth much. There were multiple releases of Persona 3. The original release with the artbook/OST, Persona 3 FES and then Persona 3 FES with the artbook/OST (the same ones that were given out with Persona 3). Those are the only 3 versions of the game. There was no Persona 3 without the artbook/OST and Persona 3 FES with the artbook/OST was a limited release.

Of those, Persona 3 FES artbook/OST bundle is worth the most... selling for about $70. The regular FES and P3 artbook/OST bundle aren't worth much, even brand new.

Of those, Persona 3 FES artbook/OST bundle is worth the most... selling for about $70. The regular FES and P3 artbook/OST bundle aren't worth much, even brand new.
For real!? I bought one of those from amazon about 6 or 7 months ago and it was still just $30. Oh well.

I recently dug up a copy of Alundra for PS one, I knew this game fetched some dough back in the day, but is this rare now?
I just sold mine(no manual or bonus disc) for $17, and it took a while to sell at that price so I don't know if you'll be able to get much more than $30 for yours depending on the condition.

Anyone know if Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 Plus and FFVI Advance are rare? Just picked them both up for $45.
Which platform is your PSO for, gamecube or Xbox? Are either of these games new? I understand the Cube one fetches a nice price, I recently sold a sealed copy for Xbox for only like $15 or so. FFVI, provided it's sealed can fetch $30 or so, possibly more.

Is the Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition strat guide really worth $40+ used? I have a new one, and I'm trying to gauge the price. I know KOTOR II isn't the rarest game, but does it's guide fetch anything decent either? Couldn't find that one listed on ebay.

[quote name='eastshore4']Which platform is your PSO for, gamecube or Xbox? Are either of these games new? I understand the Cube one fetches a nice price, I recently sold a sealed copy for Xbox for only like $15 or so. FFVI, provided it's sealed can fetch $30 or so, possibly more.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's the GC version. And it's used, but complete and in very good condition.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Anyone know if Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 Plus and FFVI Advance are rare? Just picked them both up for $45.[/QUOTE]

I recently sold a copy of PSO: Episode 1 & 2 Plus for $90 and it was disk only, so yes. It's probably one of the rarest games for the system. FFVI can net you at least $30 if that helps.

[quote name='eastshore4']
Is the Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition strat guide really worth $40+ used? I have a new one, and I'm trying to gauge the price. I know KOTOR II isn't the rarest game, but does it's guide fetch anything decent either? Couldn't find that one listed on ebay.[/QUOTE]
you can sell the LE guide for $50, thats pretty much i've watched them go for.

the only star wars guide worth anything is the lego star wars complete saga guide.. you can still get around $50-$60 for that. i sold it recently for $50.

For real? I just happen to know where I can find some of those... do you know why it goes for so much? is it just scarce?

hmm. perhaps it's time to sell my valkyria chronicles artbook..
wanted to jump back to this for a moment... there's a sequel coming out for the PSP sometime this year, you might do a bit better if you hold out until the hype starts building for that.

[quote name='eastshore4']For real? I just happen to know where I can find some of those... do you know why it goes for so much? is it just scarce?

wanted to jump back to this for a moment... there's a sequel coming out for the PSP sometime this year, you might do a bit better if you hold out until the hype starts building for that.[/QUOTE]

The LE guide hasn't been going for $50+ on EBay lately (and certainly not used - one of those sold for around $10). Perhaps it is on Amazon, but I'll never sell anything through Amazon.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']The LE guide hasn't been going for $50+ on EBay lately (and certainly not used - one of those sold for around $10). Perhaps it is on Amazon, but I'll never sell anything through Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the MGS4 guide? I was actually inquiring about the lego guide there, but regarding MGS I'm looking at a used one that sold for $40+ in an auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Gear-Soli...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item2a04022e72

[quote name='elessar123']The thing with Valkyria Chronicle was that the artbook was rare, since almost no one knew about it at release, and the artbook was for pre-orders. Then something like 3 months after release, a lot of people suddenly found out how good it was. I think it might have been because of the Gamestop sale where Valkyria Chronicles was $20 new. And then the price of these artbooks (at the time) began selling for about $50 on ebay. I know, because I checked for about 3 months hoping for it to go down, but it never did. So now, even more people heard about Valkyria Chronicles, and the demand for the artbook went up (because quite frankly, the art in it rocks), and less and less people were willing to sell it. I'm a little surprised that it's selling for nearly $200 though.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that link is for the European version or something?

The American version looks a little different, and the last one sold for around $15 on eBay.

DSCF0013-1.jpg

Any idea on value? It is literally in perfect condition.

schuerm26: Have you seen this site yet? http://www.pong-story.com/intro.htm
At the bottom ("Different types of PONG systems"), there is a console that kind of looks like yours.

Interesting history. Didn't know there were so many PONGs and variants. Here is where they talk about the Sears Tele-Game Hockey-Tennis systems. http://www.pong-story.com/atpong2.htm

Looks like $20-$40. Their contact info is at the very bottom so you could try asking them.

Maybe you could get into their museum because I didn't see a pic or listing of your particular system!

[quote name='parKer']schuerm26: Have you seen this site yet? http://www.pong-story.com/intro.htm
At the bottom ("Different types of PONG systems"), there is a console that kind of looks like yours.

Interesting history. Didn't know there were so many PONGs and variants. Here is where they talk about the Sears Tele-Game Hockey-Tennis systems. http://www.pong-story.com/atpong2.htm

Looks like $20-$40. Their contact info is at the very bottom so you could try asking them.

Maybe you could get into their museum because I didn't see a pic or listing of your particular system![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I haven't seen that site before.

Earlier today I picked up an old PC game called Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers: Adventures in Nimnul's Castle from a pawn shop for $3. The box is in good condition and so are the disks, but no manual. From what info I've dug up online about the game it is nowhere near as good as the two CDRR titles for the NES.

Since I don't have the proper hardware requirements and would rather have the better games I am considering selling it. Any ideas on its rarity/value?

Re: Lego Star Wars guide

Found it at my gamecrazy when I went to get a disc resurfaced today. Take it up to the register, and it was a penny guide... yippee my first one! Then the klaxxon sirens go off and the manager woman says "no we can't sell this, we HAVE to trash it!"
"you can't just stick a price on it like you've done with all the other(pennied) guides?"
"no, we have to trash it"
"are you sure, I hear about people getting penny guides all the time online"
"sorry"

Son of a bitch. Nothing picks up your day more than someone telling you "we'd rather throw this away than sell it to YOU for a penny"

Last edited:
[quote name='eastshore4']Re: Lego Star Wars guide

Found it at my gamecrazy when I went to get a disc resurfaced today. Take it up to the register, and it was a penny guide... yippee my first one! Then the klaxxon sirens go off and the manager woman says "no we can't sell this, we HAVE to trash it!"
"you can't just stick a price on it like you've done with all the other(pennied) guides?"
"no, we have to trash it"
"are you sure, I hear about people getting penny guides all the time online"
"sorry"

Son of a bitch. Nothing picks up your day more than someone telling you "we'd rather throw this away than sell it to YOU for a penny"[/QUOTE]
sorry to hear that. deal blockers stirkes again!

What strategy guides have value?

I came across a huge stack the other day but they are kind of hard to get a gauge of using eBay. Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']What would you guys price a sealed Gears Of War CE at? I checked ebay and there are only 2 listings for it so it wasn't that much of a help.[/QUOTE]

2 listings are more than enough. The price is around $55-65 range

[quote name='nnthomas']What strategy guides have value?

I came across a huge stack the other day but they are kind of hard to get a gauge of using eBay. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

That's not a very easy question to answer... there's a lot of valuable guides. RPG guides are usually the best bet and sports guides are usually the worst bet.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']What would you guys price a sealed Gears Of War CE at? I checked ebay and there are only 2 listings for it so it wasn't that much of a help.[/QUOTE]

It failed to sell for $10 and $9, and the two that sold were for $6 and $2. Ignoring the variables (condition, shipping, etc.), that should be enough to tell you what you need to know (read: the guides not worth much... probably $5-10). Of course, you can price your guide at whatever want and who knows, you might find a sucker to buy it.

its sealed vinny. i would probably sell that gears of war ce for $300. thats just me :)

you have to sell those at the right time.. now is not that time because theres no demand for it since theres not a new gears anytime soon. the CE sealed is not that easy to find anymore, by this time all the game crazy stores should probably be oos of it.

Hello, I have a sealed original Xbox controller. It's the actual Microsoft part and black in color. I've seen listings for these on many Web sites and the price seems to hover around $70. However, I have two questions: I'm wondering as to HOW rare this is and if I'm just an idiot for having listed it on Ebay for $60. Somebody tried offering me $20 for it and I refused the offer. Any information is greatly appreciated. The packaging is in mint condition aside from some scribbling with a marker if that matters. Thank you in advance for any replies.

EDIT: to further clarify, this is for the first Xbox, NOT the 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spcheap']Is Asterix and Obelix for the original gameboy rare?[/QUOTE]

Since it's a European exclusive, it's pretty hard to find in the US, but it's not valuable.

So recently I went to a ebgames and they had a new copy of "Prinny Can I Really Be the Hero?" Premium edition and was wondering if I should pick it up or let it pass?

[quote name='doom3killer']Is Metal Gear for the original NES rare?[/QUOTE]

No, but it is ever so slightly more sought-after than most other common titles, so it commands a higher price. It's somewhat in line with titles like Zelda, Kirby and Bubble Bobble, in terms of value.

I know it's minutia, but there's been an update in my strategy guide woes. I went back to the gamecrazy, and saw that they had put all the penny guides they originally pulled back on the racks... including Lego Star Wars TCS. The fella working the reigster this time didn't mind selling it to me for a penny, although he said "we're normally not supposed to". Yippee!

Anyways... what would you price a factory sealed "Boggle Plus" for original gameboy at? I noticed there's a CIB on that sold for $15 shipped on ebay, how much more do you think I could tack on since mine's sealed?

[quote name='eastshore4']I know it's minutia, but there's been an update in my strategy guide woes. I went back to the gamecrazy, and saw that they had put all the penny guides they originally pulled back on the racks... including Lego Star Wars TCS. The fella working the reigster this time didn't mind selling it to me for a penny, although he said "we're normally not supposed to". Yippee!

Anyways... what would you price a factory sealed "Boggle Plus" for original gameboy at? I noticed there's a CIB on that sold for $15 shipped on ebay, how much more do you think I could tack on since mine's sealed?[/QUOTE]

You could probably get double the value of a CIB copy but who knows, it's hard to price these uncommon old GB games, especially if they're sealed. You might wanna just list it for some crazy amount, like $500 and see if it sells.:lol:

[quote name='Estebon']Whats the difference of Marvel UA gold and special editions?[/QUOTE]

The 360 versions of Gold and Special Edition are nearly the same games, except Special Edition comes in Platinum Hits packaging, contained an extra DVD and had a slight name change.

Tactics Ogre for PS1.

I recently reclaimed this from my grandmothers house; I took my ps1 there some time ago so she would have something to entertain kids when they visited.

The case is beat to holy hell, but the instruction manual/disc/art insert are in really good shape...cause I doubt a bunch of ADD riddled kids touched a game like this. Only the clear plastic is broken on the case; I think I could replace both sides from the looks of it (one of the funky double sized CD cases due to the instruction booklet thickness)

Value?

bread's done
Back