The Lance Cade Memorial Wrestling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='strongpimphand']good 'ol "brother runt"....

come on! this is like playing all-pro football. you know, how they got the fake names and stuff but you KNOW who they're impersonating.

Purely hilarious yet sadly shameful. All this and I bet you the buyrates stay the same (And yep, I'm bootlegging this for comedy)[/QUOTE]
Spike Dudley actually owns the name Spike Dudley, believe it or not.

And look up "bootlegging" in the dictionary.

[quote name='Brak']Spike Dudley actually owns the name Spike Dudley, believe it or not.

And look up "bootlegging" in the dictionary.[/QUOTE]
this is the internet, home of the lol cats...i gives no fuck what the dictionary says, SIR

The Quintessential Sex Machine has hit the ring and has the stick. I love the pick neck brace too. Joel just isn't Joel without a neck brace.

[quote name='Demolition Man']1 hour 15 minutes.... already the worst PPV of the year.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely up there in the running.

Hey Balls, how bout some head? Good one Bubba.

how is everyone seemingly the most hardcore person in the ring????

yea, it's time for me to stop watching. i understand. this has the local wrestling affair feeling to it that brings people memories and all that good stuff.

...but i like to be entertained. and this is just pure garbage. no thank you tna!

Use the force chants?! Lightsaber fights?! This is stupid. Also, the ref trying to do a double clothesline? Just complete garbage.

[quote name='JP']Use the force chants?! Lightsaber fights?! This is stupid.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you are talking about. This is exactly the Philadelphia promotion I remember from that small bingo hall.

ECDUB ECDUB ECDUB ECDUB ECDUB

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't know what you are talking about. This is exactly the Philadelphia promotion I remember from that small bingo hall.

ECDUB ECDUB ECDUB ECDUB ECDUB[/QUOTE]

that's the spirit!

I love the science behind the flaming table. Its looks so menacing, but as soon as someone is put through it the flames just go out.

So is this a gauntlet match? I hate watching TV while I am at work. I have no sound.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Guyver's unconditional love of EV2.0 apparently broke CAG.[/QUOTE]

I was gonna say... this ppv was so so hot that cag couldnt handle the load

Kudos to the Tna fans for doing their part! That was the best part of the old ecw. No matter who wrestled, they would always get a reaction....either good or bad. As a JustinCredible fan, that made it worth the money for me!

I agree. Definitely the most enjoyable ppv this year for me.. No matter who's wrestling, the atmosphere plus nostalgia made it good. It could of been much worse but I think it was OK in the end.

[quote name='JP']That PPV was terrible.[/QUOTE]
I just saw the Sabu match....that seemed enjoyable

The rest though....pitiful.

[quote name='diddy310']Sabu lost his botching power when he cut his hair.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, what the fuck happened to Sabu? He looks like shit in those stills that're up on TNA's site.

the whole thing is up on youtube.. just type in "hardcore justice part" and the guy who uploaded should pop up.. click his name, click view all uploads

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Speaking of which, what the fuck happened to Sabu? He looks like shit in those stills that're up on TNA's site.[/QUOTE]

Mexican healthcare and hospitals is what happened.

[quote name='Habbler']Mexican healthcare and hospitals is what happened.[/QUOTE]
Ouch. He looked pretty bad at times when ECW was still around, but now he's like death warmed over.:cry:

I'm still amazed that Tommy Dreamer bladed in front of his fucking kids. What a shitbag.

Also if you wonder why WWE puts a diva match in between the main events at Wrestlemania, look at what happened last night. The match of the night barely got any reaction because the crowd was exhausted from Dreamer/Raven.

[quote name='guyver2077']Justin credible!!!!!!! knew as soon as the music hit

edit- holy shit at the crowd reaction for justin[/QUOTE]

He's been working at the olive garden here in manchester CT for awhile. Good for him that hes back in wrestling.

I still got a soft spot for Justin Credible being one of the nicest, unpretentious wrestlers I ever met back during the Pillman Show in 2000 (when he was still w/ ECW). And I got respect for anyone putting in 40 a week anywhere.

As for Sabu, did he really look bad? His shaved head was a new look to me, but otherwise he looked like Sabu. Scarred up, sure, but he still looked as fit as he ever was. Now, Balls Mahoney is a poster child for the anti-drug movement, on the other hand.

I think this mini-review sums up the PPV to a T.

"Old guys wrestling decently with very few botches, making fun of themselves and WWE copyrighting of stuff, while having good fun. Basically, it was a fun show to be part off, but nothing that will help TNA in the longrun, and contained little anyone will remember this time next year, or next month to be honest.

Short version: Better than most expected."

[quote name='JP']That PPV was terrible.[/QUOTE]

This.

Seriously this PPV was like a funeral. Depressing to watch. It wasn't like the first ONS that payed a good tribute to ECW while putting on a fun show.

I enjoyed this show more than I was expecting although that blue lighting completely killed the whole "different" look they were going for with the set. It obscured the brick design on the ramp, the bricks on the set, and was just distracting. They made it look different enough with the black ropes and black logo-less turnbuckle pads - the blue lighting was overkill and made it very hard to see the actual color of guys' gear because it was damned overpowering. I fucking hate this lighting setup and can't wait for them to nix it. Seriously, how ridiculous is it going to look when they try to sell DVDs of this thing or show highlight reels of it later and you can barely make anything out because THE SCREEN IS BATHED IN BLUE LIGHT.

Anyway, onto the show itself. The opener was a lot of fun - it had the comedy dance off, Kid Kash (with tons of tats and a slight gut) doing a dive, and Guido doing something he rarely did in ECW - WINNING. So I loved that. Simon's problem apparently involves too many carbs and too little exercise because he was among the portlier guys on the show. The guy never had the best body, but he now has love handles and looked so bad that Taz of all people, who came out looking like Viscera with his big puffy shirt, knocked him for looking so out of shape. Tracy Smothers dancing and doing his kung fu chops RULED.

2 Cold vs. CW Anderson was better than I was expecting because Scorpio looked better here than he did against Kash at the June '05 Hardcore Homecoming show (last time I remember seeing him work), and for a guy in his mid-40s, he moves around really well. I wouldn't mind him getting signed to TNA in the same kind of role Johnny B Badd had in '04 - random partner to young guys who could use a veteran to help get them over.

Blue Meanie sending in a video, but not actually being there, leading to The Blue Tillie playing his part was somewhat strange. They hung a lampshade on it by having Snow knock them for doing it, but man was Tillie a bad Blue Meaning impersonator. Chuckled at the BW2.0 shirt and Stevie wearing Dr. Stevie shorts long after the gimmick died and he never wore them during it, on an ECW reunion show. Stevie was in great shape and PJ Polaco moved around well. This was a decent little match here - nothing special, but nothing bad, and again, I liked seeing a guy who rarely won the big one in ECW win here as Stevie pinned with the Stevie Kick.

Rhino vs. Runt vs. Snow sure was a random grouping, and the match wasn't very good either. Runt coming out in the tie dye ruled. Snow hasn't aged a day in ten years, although him being on this show is somewhat funny since he was only in ECW while under a WWF contract in '98. He was only there for a few months and yet is one of the best-remembered acts in the group's history, which speaks well for both him and how much of an impact he made in that short time.

3D vs. Axl and Kahoneys was something else. Balls's name change ruled - it fits him perfectly, although it came out of nowhere because within the past year or so, when he did a cameo, the "Balls" name was fine. Oh well, it doesn't hurt him at all. This had chairs, flaming tables, light sabers, and Joel Gertner doing his awesome ring intros and lewd jokes. This was a lot of fun, and then the Gangstas came out to what I think was "Natural Born Killaz" being played on a kazoo and hit them with stuff. Then they all no-sold it and hugged. Very silly but mostly enjoyable aside from the hard shots to the head.

Raven vs. Dreamer was mostly bad, although it had some neat spots. The barb wire crossface to Raven, ala Dreamer having one done to him by CW with a table's support metal, was good, and I loved the handcuff DDT finish. All the head shots, not so much. Sure, it fit into this being the final showdown, and "the chairshot heard around the world", but it's 2010 and there's no need for chairshots to the skull anymore given all that is known now that wasn't known then about what kind of issues they can cause. Dreamer bringing his little daughters out to see him get all fucked up and traumatized was just stupid and disturbing. Mick being involved here was the saddest thing on the show - this man MAIN EVENTED WRESTLEMANIA and now he's working as a special ref on a second-rate ECW tribute show in 2010. This is what his career has come to.

RVD-Sabu was a very pleasant surprise. I had low expectations for it due to their Botchamania classic ladder match from '06. Sabu hit everything perfectly, RVD looked strong and hit things snuggly and actually covered Sabu really quickly after the five star as opposed to doing his goofy oversell. I'm not really sure how many more matches of this quality Sabu has in him, but I hope he gets some kind of good faith contract from someone based on this.

Now, with that said, all the TNA cameos came off as really forced. I'm sure it was done to give people PPV paydays that they lost out on due to giving the ECW guys PPV spots, but still, these things took up way too much time and came off as either complete bullshit, filler, or both. Francine's video from home was really sweet and it was nice to see that at least one person from ECW was able to let the past stay in the past. The big block of text tribute to the deceased was just weird. They didn't name anyone, and Every Word Was Capitalized Like This and that also looked bad. Lord knows they had plenty of time to kill, so I don't know why they couldn't just find photos of guys and do a photo tribute. Hardcore Homecoming did one in '05 and it came off far better than this.

The show-closing deal was a nice feel-good moment for me until DIXIE CARTER came out. I know that in storyline, she's the reason this is happening, but seriously, DIXIE CARTER AS THE SAVIOR OF ECW was worse than Steph. At least Steph had some presence - Dixie looked awkward even holding the beer, and then instead of focusing on the guys who this show was apparently dedicated to, we're treated to Bubba parading her around ringside after she was already took center stage in the ring.

TNA Pays Tribute To - People

Now that i've watched the whole thing, I really enjoyed it. It was fun, and had a nice house show-ish feel to it.

I guess it's his decision (he hasn't wrestled much in recent years), but I wouldn't have minded seeing Nova have a match - they keep going back to the bWo stuff, but he was awesome in his tag team with Chris Chetti and at the end of ECW when he went gimmick less

You were never going to top One Night Stand 05, that was obvious from beginning. I'm not an expert like the rest of the internet apparently is, but it's my opinion that TNA would benefit greatly if they'd just drop the freakin' "hey, look at us sticking it to Vince!" act. This is the exact same thing WWE did, bastardized ECW into something it wasn't and didn't need to be just to draw attention to themselves, so why is it OK now? Because "hey, look at us sticking it to Vince! Hey! HEY LOOK!" We can chant "fuck you Vince" while we're watching the exact same thing he did happen again right in front of us. TNA is so preoccupied with being the anti-WWE that they're forgetting to actually be TNA.

That said, though, One Night Stand 05 still didn't feature a lightsaber fight.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'm still amazed that Tommy Dreamer bladed in front of his fucking kids. What a shitbag. [/QUOTE]

Something tells me they were in the back since Beulah came down the ramp and probably wouldn't have left them in the crowd.

Two-cents-time after reading Survivalism's quote.

I think TNA's downfall came when they got air time. I remember watching the first Spike-Impact with Team 3D and thinking how bad the team was for the company and how the segment didn't do it for me (Styles looking into the camera during the first match, did, however).

In a lot of ways, TNA reminds me of Nintendo during the GCN years. They have to do something dramatic and long-shot (like giving Heyman complete and utter control of the company v. the Wii and motion control) before really grasping an audience again, or otherwise it'll just be a small blink in the wrestling history timeline, much like Ring of Honor's complacency has seemed to phase them out of being the new ECW-third tier-esque company.

– Some wrestlers are saying that Tommy Dreamer has specifically stated in phone conversations that he’s “inches away” from taking over the head writer’s position currently occupied by Vince Russo. He has told some of his former ECW colleagues that he has ideas for them and there is a chance they will get contracts with the organization.

Discuss.

another head writer to bring in older guys who are past their prime for pushes they shouldve gotten a decade ago if they ever deserved it in the first place

I've said it twice, but it certainly can be said again... Hulk Hogan and his friends don't draw, so you hire Tommy Dreamer and his friends.

Solid. Logic.

I'm glad I got to see Hardcore Justice. It was a good show, but maybe not worth the $35. Then again, I don't think most PPVs are worth the price charged. I didn't pay for this one, though.

I didn't expect anything revolutionary, and I was happy with what I got. TNA did the best they could with the talent available, even with the inability to use certain gimmick names and such.

The opener was your standard goofy ECW 6 man tag with a mix of high spots and comedy. I marked out fort he dance-off. Tracey Smothers is awesome. Simon Diamond had gained 100 pounds and looks disturbingly like my friend Eric, and Kid Kash apparently has been visiting Gas Chamber Ink.

The comments from "Pitbull" Gary Wolfe were... bizarre. I don't think we'll be seeing him again, contrary to what he said. And I wish Blue Meanie could have been at the show. Blue Tillie? What were they thinking?

CW Anderson vs. Scorpio was an odd matchup that worked well. Both were in pretty good shape despite getting up there in age, and I liked the finishing sequence. I hope we see Scorpio stick around in TNA.

PJ Polaco is such a terrible sounding name. But, putting aside that and the fake bWo garbage, this was a decent match. Stevie Richards is one of the more underutilized guys in wrestling today, so it was good to see him show his stuff for a change.

Sandman's appearance was brief, as were his comments in video packages. He looked to be in much worse shape than he was during his WWE run. Kind of a disappointment.

The three way dance was an odd matchup, but they had to have at least one of those type of matches, right? I was excited to see my boy Al Snow wrestle. I was also surprised- slightly- to see Rhino in this match. Well, Rhino vs. Spike made sense, but Al Snow seemed shoehorned in. But who am I to complain when I got to see Al Snow?

The chair sequence was odd, since I thought the matches were all under hardcore rules, even if weapons weren't used in all matches. Guess not. Spike (I hate the name Brother Runt) pinned Snow with the Acid Drop and, predictably, got gored immediately after. Decent match, but they could ahve done better.

Team 3D vs. Axl Rotten and Kahoneys (seriously... LOL wow) was what you'd expect: a weapons-laden brawl by 4 big fat guys. Joel Gertner's intro was vintage Gertner, and the match had some decent spots leading up to the powerbomb through the flaming table at the end. I particularly loved the light saber duel. I'm a geek; what can I say? Good stuff.

New Jack's promo after the match and brawl was hilariously random. Mustafa apparently took away SoCal Val like Lysol did Katie in The Mad Real World, and New Jack made JB his bitch?

Dreamer vs. Raven saw both guys bust out their trademark moves- drop toe holds onto chairs, death valley drivers, the sign wrapped in paper, lots of weapons, and of course, lots of DDTs. Dreamer executing the DDT while handcuffed looked pretty cool, and the crippler crossface with barbed wire was just sick, as was the mandible claw with the wire. Looked painful. I had a feeling Tommy was going to lose since he was booking the show.

RVD vs. Sabu was definitely match of the night and was a worthy main event. There were no major botches, like everyone was afraid of. Like Dreamer vs. Raven, this was kind of a "greatest hits" version of their old matches. That's kind of what the whole show is in regards to ECW, I guess: a tribute band sort of thing.

Bald Sabu looked weird, but as I said, there were no big botches and the match was pretty damn good. Sabu is best used as a special attraction, but TNA should try to bring him in and get at least a couple months' worth of work out of him while there's still some interest from the PPV. Put him back in there with Abyss; maybe Jeff Hardy.

This was definitely an above average show that satisfied me. But really, it depends on your expectations as much as anything. If you were expecting ECW reborn, you'll be very disappointed. If you're cynical and want to find stuff to nitpick, you will be able to do so and you will not like the event. But if you take the show for what it is/was, you just might like it. It's worth a watch, and I'll probably pick up the DVD down the line.

Whew... just in time for Raw. Not that I'm watching it live, anyway.

[quote name='Survivalism']Something tells me they were in the back since Beulah came down the ramp and probably wouldn't have left them in the crowd.[/QUOTE]

Um, no.

They were front row, Raven punched Tommy in the head right in front of them, he turned away from the camera (towards the crowd), bladed and that is when Beulah carried them away to the back.

[quote name='HydroX']Discuss.[/QUOTE]
As a person who is known to hate on TNA....

...This will only fuel my hilarity of hate!

I'm not going to watch if he does become the head writer! Why? Same reason i felt indifferent of watching a program ran by Double J in the first damn place!!!

TNA isn't playing for the home town crowd anymore. They won 'em over. They're now playing for the people who don't know crap about 'em or the people like me who could easily be won over if they did the right things. And TNA doing this would be so damn stupid that it would be shameful.

Who from ECW's past would anyone honestly want to see? Who? I can't name anyone!

Shit, TNA needs to clean house, not bring in more junk! Bringing in the unused WWE talent and getting their potential tapped is smart. Bringing in bums and losers of yesteryear is idiotic. Huge difference. No Dreamer...NO

Considering Dreamer didn't even put himself over in the "Final Battle" with Raven, I'm not too worried about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back