The Lance Cade Memorial Wrestling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='diddy310']Considering Dreamer didn't even put himself over in the "Final Battle" with Raven, I'm not too worried about this.[/QUOTE]

Dreamer's whole gimmick is losing. Losing, crying, and wearing a t-shirt when he wrestles.

The Divas match that just happened was just a reminder of something that I really hate about modern wrestling that's really prevalent: unless they're dropping the belt, the champ should never under any circumstances be pinned or submit. Having a champ lose clean in a non-title match 1) Discredits the champ 2) Lowers the prestige of the belt 3) Devalues an actual title change.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I never understood the point of a "beat the champ and earn a title shot" stipulation in a match. You just beat the champ 1-2-3 in the middle of the ring, so really you just proved you could beat him, and now you have to do it again to become the new champ?

If it were up to me, every match a champ walks into (barring a mashup tag match,) would be a title match. Lord knows all of the WWE belts need their credibility back.

I really have to wonder why Wade Barrett, the only reason Nexus is working, only gets to have singles matches with guys that have histories of injuring others.

Seems kinda risky, you know?

[quote name='007']Seems kinda risky, you know?[/QUOTE]

Looks like WWE writers agree with you.

As for y'all hemming and hawing about Tommy Dreamer blading, get over yourselves. It's pro wrestling, not pro sissy.

I really, really hope that in this segment, Orton hits Sheamus with the RKO and Miz cashes in the MitB and wins the belt, making it Miz and Orton at Summerslam. As far as I know, Miz isn't involved in any other match at Summerslam..

Maybe they'd turn it into a triple threat match.

Just read this Thursday's Impact spoilers.

Gotta say, it sounds like a super fantastic show, both in terms of wrestling and booking. No fake.

I'll DVR Impact this Thursday since Patriots preseason football is on. As long as TNA hasn't booked the show with stupid Russo crap it might be worth watching.

RAW wise... that Orton/Sheamus segment was pretty good. Got me excited for the match this Sunday.

Yeah, I've been hearing good things about Impact this week, but I couldn't bring myself to actually read the spoilers. I'm just going to go in blind.

For the people who've seen an hour of Raw already, should I watch, or should I skip?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Yeah, I've been hearing good things about Impact this week, but I couldn't bring myself to actually read the spoilers. I'm just going to go in blind.

For the people who've seen an hour of Raw already, should I watch, or should I skip?[/QUOTE]

Well there's been quite a lot of wrestling on the show. nothing spectacular, but wrestling nonetheless. I say make a judgment call.

[quote name='mykevermin']
As for y'all hemming and hawing about Tommy Dreamer blading, get over yourselves. It's pro wrestling, not pro sissy.[/QUOTE]

In front of his kids, smart guy.

I couldn't care less if he decided to carve himself up like a turkey but did he really have to bring his 6 year old daughters into the angle and do it right in front of them?

Thanks for the advice, Dr. Spock.

I suspect people will pan WWE for having Sheamus annihilate the entire NXT roster - but Orton made him look like a total weakling and he needed to do something to get some heat back going into the PPV on Sunday. Having him dominate like he did then was a good idea.

I suspect they will be bitching about Husky pinning Kaval for the 3rd time in 3 weeks too much to care about Sheamus.

[quote name='HydroX']Discuss.[/QUOTE]
I hope that's not true, because the PPV absolutely stunk for the most part. The talent redeemed some of it, such as Sabu v. RVD and 2 Cold v. C.W. Anderson (which was a nice, little sleeper match)... but the booking just reeked like shit.

I loved ECW... but that was the past. Heyman has a progressive mind, and I know he would frown upon trying to replicate ECW -- especially with old players.

And here's a spoiler for the wrestler, FROM ANY PROMOTION!!!, who accepted Jeff Hardy's open challenge:
Shannon Moore

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

[quote name='diddy310']I suspect they will be bitching about Husky pinning Kaval for the 3rd time in 3 weeks too much to care about Sheamus.[/QUOTE]

:lol: yeah. when Husky is #1 on the NXT poll tomorrow, if you listen close enough, you'll be able to hear the collective brain aneurysms of the smart marks nationwide.

Another good show. They did a fine job of building up the Nexus-WWE tag match, and an incredible job with the Orton-Sheamus WWE Title match. Before this show, I couldn't have cared less about it, but afterwards, I'm excited about it. Their promo segment had the crowd hot - like molten hot. One of the loudest crowd reactions in a while, and it made the WWE Title match seem really important.

Bret's opening promo was good, although it was impossible to take him seriously with his Batman t-shirt on. I'm not sure if he looked better or worse than Edge, who looked quite homeless with his scruffy goatee, hole-filled jeans, and flannel overshirt. Nexus beating up the Hart Dynasty was a fine way to further piss on Bret, and I loved having the group pick off Henry and Khali. It not only made them into a bigger threat, but saved us from seeing two matches that would've been terrible. Total win-win there. Miz making both Cena and Bret beg to have him on their team was excellent. He came off as a total dick, but was justified in doing so.

Miz-Bourne was short, but memorable due to Bourne selling a lariat with an SSP-style flip, and then he did a back-jump rana to Miz that surprised me. That's not the kind of thing you'd expect to see on Raw. Bourne jobbing is, but at least he was able to shine for a bit before it happened. Miz has mastered the Skull Crushing Finale - he hits that thing so smoothly that I'm glad they decided to use it as his finisher.

Alicia-Melina was better than the Raw diva norm, despite Melina's finisher not being pulled off perfectly. The six-divas triple threat tag team match was, however, the usual Raw match, only with the chicks wearing getup from around the '40s. Tamina might have the hots for Santino...okay. Morrison busting out the C4 was pretty cool.

Bret-Cena vs. Edge-Jericho did a great job of setting up the Summerslam main event. Nexus beat down the heels, and when push came to shove, Edge and Jericho decided at the last possible moment to re-join the team and do what was right, leading to a show-closing brawl that featured 13 of the 14 guys in the PPV match in a perfect brawl. It went maybe a minute, was all action, and then featured the sides stare each other down at the end. It was a fine go-home show for Summerslam.

Screens -

nanananana - BRET-MAN!

A proud Dubya Dubya E Champion.

Quotes -
Bret - Hello Sacramento! For the past 2 weeks, I’ve been in Calgary training like a lunatic getting ready for Summerslam! Just to see everything fall apart. I’m disappointed - that would be an understatement. One week ago, Edge and Jericho quit Team WWE. But 3 weeks ago, I put my reputation on the line when I went to see my good friend John Cena and I told him that both of those guys understand - they’ll see the big picture. They’ll know that Nexus’s momentum needs to be stopped! Well I guess I was wrong. It’s not too late. I want to ask Jericho and Edge to come down here and face me face-to-face and see if we can put this machine back together again!
Jericho - Well I can’t speak for Edge, but I’m here - dazzle me! Tell me I’m the best in the world at what I do. Blow me away with your…
Bret - SHUT UP! I don’t have time for that crap! Look! This is your chance to be a man - this is the time to step up to the plate and change things! I put my reputation on the line to join the team, so I’m asking you right now, if you don’t join Team WWE, you’re not hurting us - you’re hurting yourselves! It’s obvious that Nexus doesn’t’ want anything to do with, and all the stars that you’ve turned your backs on, they don’t want nothing to do with ya. If Nexus walks out of Summerslam with their hands raised, you’re only hurting yourself. You’ll be an outcast - you’ll have nowhere to go. You’ll be dogs without bones. This is your chance to join Team WWE - DO THE HONORABLE THING! Will you rejoin Team WWE right now or are you gonna let all your fans down!?
Jericho - You’ve said some things that made me think, and my answer is...still no. I had you figured out years ago - you’re a phony and hypocrite, just like all of them. You’re not concerned about beating Nexus - you just want to get the worst beating of your career at the hands of Edge and myself. You’re worried about getting speared and submitting to the Walls. You’re scared. And even worse, you know that you can’t beat Nexus at Summerslam without me, without Edge. You can’t replace us - nobody can replace us, not in this company, not in this business. Once again in WWE, BRET HART IS SCREWED! I made it clear last week that I’m not interested in teaming with Cena, and I’m less interested in teaming with you. All I care about is dismantling the mighty Bret Hart right here. (Edge comes out)
Edge - Chris, what’s the matter with you man? THIS IS BRET THE HITMAN HART! We grew up idolizing him - he is the reason that we got into this business. You trained in his father’s Dungeon and I had Bret’s poster on my wall. I shoveled driveways to save money so I could go to the Maple Leaf Garden and hope that he put the shade son my head. So Bret, I don’t know about Jericho, but you can count me in!
Barrett - It’s not your day, is it Bret?
Cena - We need to see who’s on the team - I’m gonna go talk to the Great Khali!
Lawler - It’s almost like the Nexus Is predicting every move of Cena and Bret before they make it.
Miz - I don’t care if it’s Sheamus or Randy Orton that hold the title after Sunday - WHEN I’M READY TO CASH IN MY CONTRACT, I WILL BECOME WWE CHAMPION. BECAUSE I’M THE MIZ AND I’M AWESOME!
Josh - Khali, I understand that your brother isn’t here to translate for you, but is your allegiance to Team WWE or the Nexus?
Khali - DUBYA DUBYA E!
Josh - It’s great that the WWE has you on your team.
Khali - Stuff.
Josh - Can you tell us in English? BARRETT AND ME, TONIGHT!
Cole - As a result of Melina’s victory, Alicia will now defend the Diva’s title against Melina AT SUMMERSLAM!
Morrison - We need two new partners.
Henry - Two? You only need one! My match is my addition!
Sheamus - After Raw last week, the WWE Universe was convinced that I was scared to get in the ring with Orton - I was scared…OF WHAT I MIGHT DO TO HIM! Normally when a fella talks like this, he’s talking out his arse, but not me. I hurt people, and I’ve been doing it since I stepped foot in da WWE. And dat’s why I’m da WWE CHAMPION! If dere is anyone that thinks that Orton’s gonna take me championship away, I advise you to watch the following very closely. So how many of ya think I’m afraid of Orton now?! THAT FOOTAGE SHOWS THAT I’M AFRAID OF NOBODY IN THE WWE. I’VE ENDED CAREERS, but now, I’d like to call out Orton so I can tell him face-to-face…(Orton comes out)
Randy, I’m surprised you accepted my invitation.
Orton - I have something to say to you. Now I believe that you are capable of hurting people, but if you’re gonna say that you were afraid of getting in the ring because you were afraid of what you’d do to me - YOU’RE FULL OF IT! You want to be taken seriously… YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNIY AND YOU BLEW IT, JUST LIKE YOU’RE GONNA DO AT SUMMERSLAM! You can show all the footage you want to, but the fact remains - you have never beaten me and you never will.
Sheamus - YOU’RE WRONG! WRONG WRONG! Funny thing is, Cena and HHH looked me in the eye…
Orton - I’M NOT HHH AND I’M CERTAINLY NOT JOHN CENA!
Sheamus - And yer not da WWE Champion either. I am. And I will be after Summerslam. Just like Cena, you’ll go back to the end of the line - you’ll never got another title shot as long as I’m champion.
Orton - I am gonna beat you. You hear what I’m saying? Now…you have never beaten me. And you’re not gonna beat me on Sunday, but If you wanna redeem yourself for what YOU DIDN’T DO last week, JUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. (e-mail boops)
Cole - I HAVE RECEIVED AN E-MAIL! AND I QUOTE. Sheamus, your title matches have been marred with interference. If ANYONE interferes in the WWE Championship match at Summerslam, they’ll be suspended! If Orton loses at Summerslam, there will be no rematch and he will go to the end of the line.
However. I also agree with Orton - if Sheamus is not scared, then I encourage him to do something about it right now!
King - McGillcutty should talk to me about his name.
Cole - Know what his fans are called? The McGillibuddies!
(after he kills the rookies)Sheamus - That was a message to the GM, and all of you, AND ESPECIALLY RANDY ORTON. I GUARANTEE YA THAT THIS TIME NEXT WEEK, I’LL STILL BE YER WWE CHAMPION! OOORRRTOOONNNNN!
(after a dropkick)Cole - MORRISON KICKS IT UP A NOTCH!
Cole - I’m still trying to figure out the rules of this triple threat divas tag match. I guess it doesn’t matter. Why aren’t they wearing shoes?
King - If Lady Godiva rode by you’d notice the horse!
Cole - Or Lady Gaga. That’s’ a slightly more contemporary reference.
Barrett - I have JUST BEEN INFORMED THAT THE GREAT KHALI-WADE BARRETT MATCHUP HAS BEEN CANCELLED. This Sunday, a new chapter in WWE history will be written by the Nexus. The balance of power is about to shift dramatically and permanently because we will defeat Team WWE and when we do, we will achieve anyone here can ever imagine!
Skip - RAW HAS BECOME OUR SHOW! Bret Hart will join Steamboat and McMan as are victims and like him and the Dragon, you’ll never see the Hitman again. Morrison, Truth, and Cena, we’re not gonna damage you physically - we’re gonna break you mentally to the point hwere you never recover!
Otunga - If anyone in the locker room is considering joining Team WWE, think about what we did to the Hart Dynasty. What we did to the World’s Strongest Man. What we did to the Great Khali. Think about whether you want to be next. Because you’re either Nexus or you’re against us.
Miz - Cena, Bret, your team’s in trouble. Two quit, two got ambushed, and one got Nancy Kerrigan’d. I figure you’d look for me - THE UNITED STATES CHAMPION.
Bret - What’s your point?
Miz - I wanna hear that you need me to save Raw.
Bret - You in or out.
Miz - Both of you.
Cena - In or out?
Miz - Wow. JOHN CENA ASKING ME FOR HELP. Times have changed in one year. Am I in or out? I’ll let you know Sunday.

I wonder why Cole references Lady Gaga (what seems like) at least once per broadcast. The only thing I can think of is Vince wants him to seem "hip."

[quote name='mykevermin']Just read this Thursday's Impact spoilers.

Gotta say, it sounds like a super fantastic show, both in terms of wrestling and booking. No fake.[/QUOTE]

I must say, TNA's show this Thursday sounds competent. If "Less talking, More wrestling" is TNA's new direction: It's a good one.

I also have to admit that I wholeheartedly enjoyed Hardcore Justice. I didn't like the finish to Van Dam-Sabu but rejoiced when Taz groaned over "BW2.0" and the mention of "EV2.0", Van Dam acknowledged those of us whom wanted to see him face Rhino, Tenay partially reverting to the Mike Tenay I prefer ("The Professor"), and most of the matches and segments--even when the Gangstas came out.

After hearing about Angle-Styles at this Thursday's "Less talking, More wrestling" show ("The Whole F'N Show"), I realized how I'm sick and tired of Kurt Angle (and I've never liked AJ Styles, so that feeling contiues). The last time I enjoyed Kurt's work was when he first had a feud with Samoa Joe. (2005?) Now--those--were great matches.

I noticed that Sheamus got added to the bumper before a WWE show starts. Not sure if he was there before this week, but its the first time I have seem him pop up there.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Yeah, I've been hearing good things about Impact this week, but I couldn't bring myself to actually read the spoilers. I'm just going to go in blind.

For the people who've seen an hour of Raw already, should I watch, or should I skip?[/QUOTE]

Nexus took out Mark Henry and Great Khali, Edge and Jericho re-joined team WWE, Miz teases being the 7th man

I don't know if it was fake or real, but the sound of the audience banging on the floor and the camera shaking when Sheamus and Orton were face to face and again at the end with WWE and Nexus staring each other down was a nice touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PhEU73KTo

you can kinda hear/see it at the 9 minute mark

Team WWE vs. Nexus will probably eat up a ton of time.
Both championship matches will probably be half as long as the battle royal, each.
Big Show vs. SES will get a few minutes, probably 10-15 (hopefully)
Melina vs. Alicia will hopefully be blissfully short.
And they'll probably end up announcing some last-minute stuff on SD.

I predict it'll do well* simply because of the Justice League/Legion of Doom match.

*Monetarily-speaking. Quality-wise, I have no fucking clue.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Anyone think Triple H is going to come back and replace Khali?[/QUOTE]

Triple H is injured at the moment and isn't expected to be back until later this year at the earliest.

[quote name='Scorch']might be the Undertaker[/QUOTE]

Well seeing there's that little storyline involving him being in a vegetative state on Smackdown and both Rey and Kane are accusing each other over who did it.... yeah that's very unlikely to happen Scorchy.

I figure the Undertaker will attend to his story on SmackDown. (Not that I care for the story.)

The difference between Raw and SmackDown is I actually care about the stories on Raw. I'm actually intrigued about the Mystery 7th Member of Team WWE. I hope the Mystery Person isn't Triple H--'cause I enjoy Raw/WWE programming much more without Triple H nosing his way into the big stories. I hope the Miz is the 7th Member--as it'll help push him as a big deal. Triple H doesn't need any hype. He's an established name and will be over with the crowd. Looking over WWE's roster, outside of Triple H, the Miz is the only other person I can see filling the role. Well, other than Vince McMahon, and god damn, that better not happen.

I read that WWE's WrestleMania 26 special on NBC posted a 0.65 broadcast rating and 1.78 million viewers. That was a damn good PPV. It speaks volumes about the state of pro wrestling in the U.S. Thank the gods that WWE had the logic to focus their efforts on building a new generation of fans 'cause the 20-and-30-somethings have shifted their interest to other interests (see: MMA).

I think pro wrestling will be in the corner for another 10 years. I said this before and mean it, and it sucks. Other than building a new generation and catering to those fans, I can't see any other way for pro wrestling to have the following it once did. Do you think Vince and Titan Tower executives knew that killing, established names, WCW and ECW would have such a powerfully-negative impact on pro wrestling? Do you think they care/cared?

And it's all the more angering when I think of how Hulk Hogan, Dixie Carter, Vince Russo, and Eric Bischoff have ruined perhaps pro wrestling's last real--yet tiny--chance at building and expanding a true competitor to revive the industry. Do you think Dixie Carter realizes how much we, the fans, needed a true competitor and not a poor imitation?

Or am I just being melodramatic?

I'm going to toss out a name....that we haven't heard from in months and probably don't care about...but I think Vince does....

Ezekiel Jackson

I'm sure that injury is healed/closed to healed by now. And dude did end as the last ECW champ (bwahahaha).

Plus, he's basically a meaner, blacker Otunga. We all know how Vince has a fetish for black men built like that....

I'm just sayin'....I won't be shocked if I see him running down the ramp as a face helpin' everyone win for raw

I actually felt that in some ways Hardcore Justice felt more like an old ECW show than ONS 05. Sure, ONS was the better show overall.. but it was more like a tribute show, while Hardcore Justice felt like it could have been an actual ECW show had ECW never went out of business. I enjoyed it. A lot of the guys were past their prime but it was fun seeing them all out their having a good time. A lot of the matches were pretty good too. If Tommy Dreamer does take over booking, for some reason I actually have some faith that he'll do the right thing... but it could just be wishful thinking.

[quote name='Chase']I read that WWE's WrestleMania 26 special on NBC posted a 0.65 broadcast rating and 1.78 million viewers. That was a damn good PPV. It speaks volumes about the state of pro wrestling in the U.S. Thank the gods that WWE had the logic to focus their efforts on building a new generation of fans 'cause the 20-and-30-somethings have shifted their interest to other interests (see: MMA).[/QUOTE]Forgot it was on last weekend. Personally, I didn't give enough of a crap to remember it because it wasn't the full show, just a bunch of music video montages. I've always thought that if the WWE aired a Wrestlemania live on NBC instead of on PPV that the ratings would be huge. Plenty of people skip out on the show each year because of its $50+ price-point. They could make up for the lack of PPV revenue by having Super Bowl-like ads placed specifically BETWEEN the matches only, not during them. Airing the "Super Bowl of Wrestling" on broadcast television could be a "big money" move if the pieces aligned correctly. That abortion on Saturday isn't how you do Wrestlemania on NBC and have people care about it.

[quote name='Scorch']

I don't know if it was fake or real, but the sound of the audience banging on the floor and the camera shaking when Sheamus and Orton were face to face and again at the end with WWE and Nexus staring each other down was a nice touch.

[/QUOTE]

It seemed like they would cut to a different camera whenever it happened - iirc it was going on during the Morrison/Truth tag match as well.

[quote name='diddy310']It seemed like they would cut to a different camera whenever it happened - iirc it was going on during the Morrison/Truth tag match as well.[/QUOTE]

Maybe WWE has a designated Shakey-Cam now. When Team WWE and Nexus had the stare down at the end that same camera was shaking like crazy too. That or it could of just been a bad tripod. :whee:

[quote name='Purple Flames']Not sure i f you guys know about it or not, but if you wanna pick up some dirt-cheap Japanese promotion DVDs look no further than http://new.ivpvideos2.com/index.php

They've got damn near everything under the sun.[/QUOTE]

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=4301

I've seen those matches. Hase-Muta, Liger-Ohtani '97, Samurai-Benoit, and Vader-Hansen are my favorites. Vader-Hansen is a brutal, brutal match. Yes, it's the match where Vader's eye pops out.

[quote name='Habbler']Maybe WWE has a designated Shakey-Cam now. When Team WWE and Nexus had the stare down at the end that same camera was shaking like crazy too. That or it could of just been a bad tripod. :whee:[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the camera was shaking because the crowd was stomping their feet so much that they caused it to happen. So yeah, the closing angle got over big.

Glad to see IVPVideos stocking the DVDVR board's NJPW comp - their comps for Mid-South and Memphis were incredible.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Not sure i f you guys know about it or not, but if you wanna pick up some dirt-cheap Japanese promotion DVDs look no further than http://new.ivpvideos2.com/index.php

They've got damn near everything under the sun.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the site before, but it looked kind of generic and sketchy. If you guys say it's legit Then I'll get some stuff soon.

[quote name='Chase']Can you, or anyone, suggest a good Memphis compilation? I'm very uneducated in my Memphis wrestling. :oops:[/QUOTE]

Goodhelmet's comp on the DVDVR board is a great way to cut your teeth on Memphis. $50 for 10 discs, or you can go with the DVDs that Highspots has. I picked up a couple of those, and they're decent, although not as great a value as Goodhelmet's comp.

Just noticed a Yahoo news headline that Linda McMahon won the Conn. Republican primary.

So that's wrestling related. And sorta sad because Bryan Danielson is perhaps now further banished to the indys.

What exactly is the purpose behind Bret being back on WWE tv again? I mean, he can't wrestle a full match, right? So what the hell is the deal with having him on TV in the first place?

Personally, I still think Bret & Vince will admit that the 'Montreal Screwjob' was the biggest swerve in wrestling history and the heat between them was fake.

Me either, especially when Evan Bourne or the Hart Dynasty could have been in the match - those guys need to be seen paired with main eventers, especially the Dynasty who people seem pretty indifferent about right now.

I'd like to see Evan bourne in the match, because I think him and Justin Gabriel could be an entertaining pair.

As a side note... if WWE were ever to bring him back, I think Danielson would work PERFECTLY right now. Having him appear as the 7th guy to help fight Nexus? That'd be a pretty good idea to me.

[quote name='Scorch']I don't know if it was fake or real, but the sound of the audience banging on the floor and the camera shaking when Sheamus and Orton were face to face and again at the end with WWE and Nexus staring each other down was a nice touch.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from my experiences at Kings games, I can say that the shaking camera at ARCO Arena is 100% accurate. Kings fans had the reputation of being the noisiest fans in the NBA during the Kings' glory years of the early 2000s.

Oh, and I'll go out on a limb and say that Team RAW's 7th man will be someone... AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back