The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

[quote name='TheMaidenOfSorrow']This would be my first Zelda game! Do you get to level up or do you have to find hearts and stuff? :lol:[/quote]Oh wow, first timer eh? There isn't any leveling - just collecting. You get a new heart container from each deafeted boss, and can find them spread throughout the world (although not too often of course). In most Zelda games there are heart pieces which you collect to make a new container - not sure why but PH doesn't seem to follow that.
Aside from hearts, you upgrade items and get new ones along the way. This game is great but by far not my favorite. I suggest checking out Ocarina of Time (N64 or GC (expensive promo discs)), and Twilight Princess (Wii/GCN) and of course, a Link To The Past (SNES), which I think PH resembles most (with a lot of Wind Waker thrown in of course).

My two cents. :p

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Oh wow, first timer eh? There isn't any leveling - just collecting. You get a new heart container from each deafeted boss, and can find them spread throughout the world (although not too often of course). In most Zelda games there are heart pieces which you collect to make a new container - not sure why but PH doesn't seem to follow that.
Aside from hearts, you upgrade items and get new ones along the way. This game is great but by far not my favorite. I suggest checking out Ocarina of Time (N64 or GC (expensive promo discs)), and Twilight Princess (Wii/GCN) and of course, a Link To The Past (SNES), which I think PH resembles most (with a lot of Wind Waker thrown in of course).

My two cents. :p[/quote]

ty :D

[quote name='Yertle']I keep winning rupees never ship parts from the cannon game, it's usually faster to farm enemy ships for me.[/quote]

I have gotten lots of ship parts from the cannon game. I think you have to get over 2000 points for the good stuff.

I'm sticking with the archery game for now, anything over 1700 guarentees you a ship part of some sort, and I've gotten really good at it during my quest to get the heart container. Highest score 2100, most common score 1900. I don't want to think of the rupees I've put into that game now

Just started this last night... Its going to be weird for me to be going through a game while an active post is on CAG. I normally trail behind people on new games as I try to alternate my backlog and new games.

Either way I only got about 20-30 minuets into it.

[quote name='Rocko']Maybe it involves battling via wifi? The guy mentioned three chests, and putting items in them. Do you ante items when you battle a friend online? I haven't done the wifi battling yet.[/QUOTE]
Once you have the bow and arrow, you can get to the little island in the northwest part of Mercay Island, where you can put an item in each box. Then when you play someone in Battle Mode, somehow your items get traded (not really sure how this works.)

In my game Helmaroc Feathers gave 800, 5 other things got 150, and I never got the other 2 items.

Started seeing salvageable pirate ships last night. They're in the same place(s) I was seeing the pairs of little pirate...er...tugs. But now there's one tug and one pirate ship, which can be salvaged for ship parts after you sink it. I guess these don't start appearing until after you complete the Ghost Ship dungeon.

If the pirate ship touches you, you get boarded and have to fight some moblins (like when you fight the pirate chick) and even if you win you can't salvage, which kind of sucks.

Probably the easiest way to get a lot of ship parts, as every time you go to an island and leave, or use the whirlwhind, or save and restart, the pirates respawn.

"it's no fun not being able to play using the +control pad. . .
if i have one regret, it's being so stubborn and saying such a thing. . ."
a quote from one of the dead characters in the game.

i'm sure someone has posted this already, but i just thought it was so good. this game has had the best writing in my opinion. very funny.

I've finally completed two ship part sets, the first one was a lame one I didn't care for, but the second was a set that was one of my most desired goals. Max ship stamina appears to be seven

[quote name='Yertle']I've finally completed two ship part sets, the first one was a lame one I didn't care for, but the second was a set that was one of my most desired goals. Max ship stamina appears to be seven[/quote]

Which ones did you complete? I just got the Mermaid prow and based solely on its awesomeness, I'd love to finish that set (it isn't part of the stone/marble set, is it?). The Demon set is also neat but a little too freaky for my taste.

So in order to 'trade' you have to battle, 'eh? Odd, but I guess it works. It really depends on whether or not treasure values are substantially different on a game-by-game basis.

Edit: My treasure values:
Goron Amber- 50
Ruto Crown- 50
Helmaroc Plume- 50
Zora Scale- 150
Haven't found any others, but I just the salvage arm, so I'm going to start salvaging. Yay.

[quote name='Tybee']Which ones did you complete? I just got the Mermaid prow and based solely on its awesomeness, I'd love to finish that set (it isn't part of the stone/marble set, is it?). The Demon set is also neat but a little too freaky for my taste.[/quote]
I finished the tropical set first, palm trees and sea shells; my second set was the vintage set. Yeah, mermaid prow is part of the stone marble set. I just need the wheels to complete that set, along with the iron set. demon set is pretty freaky, i just need the anchors to complete that

Just beat it. Fantastic game and the endgame doesn't disappoint either.

I'd like to make some gradiose claim about its overall quality, but I'll give it a week or so being removed from it to do so.

Just received my copy in the mail today. Haven't had time to play yet, but the opening scenes look amazing. I can't wait to play it!

[quote name='daroga']Just beat it. Fantastic game and the endgame doesn't disappoint either.[/QUOTE]
There's (practically) no final dungeon
! Very dumb, in my opinion.

[quote name='pete5883']
There's (practically) no final dungeon
! Very dumb, in my opinion.[/quote]
Fair enough. :) I was kinda surprised when I arrived at the final boss, too. But I really enjoyed the 3-tier boss fight. But I was expecting another section of Hourglass play, too.

[RANT] I tried to play battle mode online last night but it gets a little old when 5 out of 5 people disconnect from getting their asses kicked during the first round. [/RANT]

Is anyone else playing the battle mode? I've gotten my wife hooked on it which is very odd since she never liked this kind of game before. I know UncleBob made a thread about it but it seems to have a lack of interest. Anyways, if anyone wants to play sometime send me a PM to exchange friend codes, unless you quit midgame in which case you should go to hell!

If you haven't tried it out yet give it a shot. It's more fun than I thought it would be, plus you get some bonuses in the single player game for some multiplayer "achievements"

I have yet to play Wind Waker (I don't own it yet, though I do have a Gamecube). Should I wait and play Wind Waker first or just jump into PH?

Honestly, all the comments about endless sailing put me off of WW a bit, but now I'm kind of in the mood for Zelda after a long hiatus (I haven't played any Zelda since MM came out, I don't think).

I haven't played Wind Waker either, but from the looks of it the beginning of PH spoils the end of WW (I think. Again, never played WW). So if you hate that, I wouldn't play it. As far as sailing goes, it isn't a problem in PH, for me anyway.

i didn't get PH yet, but WW is by far one of the BEST zelda titles i own (and i own all of them in one form or another, minus minish cap and PH)

[quote name='daroga']Just beat it. Fantastic game and the endgame doesn't disappoint either.

I'd like to make some gradiose claim about its overall quality, but I'll give it a week or so being removed from it to do so.[/quote] How long did it take you? How much of the optional stuff (if there is any) did you do?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']How long did it take you? How much of the optional stuff (if there is any) did you do?[/quote]Hard for me to say for sure, as there's no ingame counter and I just played when I had free time. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was between 12 and 18 hours. There's a ton of optional stuff, most of which I did not do.

[quote name='daroga']Hard for me to say for sure, as there's no ingame counter and I just played when I had free time. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was between 12 and 18 hours. There's a ton of optional stuff, most of which I did not do.[/quote]
That sounds like a good length for this game. I remember getting a little sick of WW towards the end of it.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']That sounds like a good length for this game. I remember getting a little sick of WW towards the end of it.[/quote]Yeah, there's also nothing like the Triforce shards in Phantom Hourglass.

If you have the patience, I think playing WW before PH would be a good thing to do. The thing is that it's not like you can't guess what happens in the end of WW anyways (Link defeats Ganondorf! OMG!) and that's all they really give away in the beginning of PH. There is another big thing that they give away but I don't think that it really has any bearing on the plot of the game whatsoever.

The real point I am trying to make is that I think you'd appreciate the universe of PH more if you had played WW already. I just got to a particular part today
the part where you come across the copycat ship "Prince of Red Lions"
and unless you had played WW or were at least pretty familiar with the story you would not really appreciate the meaning of what you saw in PH.

Again- it's not necessary by any means, and I don't think you'd not enjoy the game if you hadn't played WW, but I think that I am going to appreciate PH more than I would have had I not played WW already. If that's not your thing then don't worry about it and just play PH.

TBH though I did not have any problem with the sailing. I think it really gets blown out of proportion. In fact I find the sailing in PH to be a little less enjoyable as it seems like you go slower, and is less tightly integrated with the game. In WW you literally jumped out of your boat into the water and swam to the island- it was a continuous experience and really helped increase the immersion factor, whereas in PH you "dock" and the game loads the island not unlike the distinctions between towns and the overworld in Final Fantasy games.

Ruahrc

The sailing in Wind Waker wasn't as bad as a lot of people say for me. But I understand where they're coming from.

Not having to deal with the wind in Phantom Hourglass is fantastic.

Alright, you guys convinced me, especially Daroga--I'm going to pick this up for a trip I have next week. Any deals besides Family Video?

Ok, I'm having a real problem here:

I just started playing. I bought a new prow for my ship and I found a new anchor. I went to the shipyard to get them fitted to my ship, but they're gone! They're not in my collection. Where the hell did they go? Am I missing something here? Is this a glitch? Anyone else have the same problem?

I'm really mad cuz that prow set me back 150 ruppees! Sad

[quote name='CaptNink']Ok, I'm having a real problem here:

I just started playing. I bought a new prow for my ship and I found a new anchor. I went to the shipyard to get them fitted to my ship, but they're gone! They're not in my collection. Where the hell did they go? Am I missing something here? Is this a glitch? Anyone else have the same problem?

I'm really mad cuz that prow set me back 150 ruppees! Sad[/QUOTE]I ran into the same problem -- turns out its not a problem at all. What happened was I thought there were only three variations of each ship part (since that's all you see on the screen at a time), but there's actually several more than that.

The list is pre-sorted by value/rarity. So, to find your missing prow and anchor, go to the collection screen and scroll down.

[quote name='MisterHand']I ran into the same problem -- turns out its not a problem at all. What happened was I thought there were only three variations of each ship part (since that's all you see on the screen at a time), but there's actually several more than that.

The list is pre-sorted by value/rarity. So, to find your missing prow and anchor, go to the collection screen and scroll down.[/quote]

Oh my God; I feel like such a n00b!

Thank you very much! I thought for sure my game was defective and I was all ready to exchange it!

You made my day! :applause:

[quote name='snakelda']is it the one with the ship with salvadore?[/quote]

Should've specified. I aced that one. The one I'm having trouble with is the arrow one.

[quote name='Rocko']Should've specified. I aced that one. The one I'm having trouble with is the arrow one.[/quote]
I was having trouble with the archery game too, at first. I found it easiest to shoot arrows by touching the top of the screen while the targets are stationary (so its easier to align your shots) and then only shooting arrows down the center once the targets start moving. That way, the timing for shots stays relatively the same throughout.

My scores started out pretty bad, between 600 - 1400. By the time I had adjusted to what I mentioned above, my range was from 1250 - 2000. The game isn't very forgiving with misses. A miss effectively drops your potential score by 200 - 300 points per miss, as you lose your bonus and have to readjust.

Hmm, thanks, I'll have to try that. I just finished the Ghost Ship, so I'm probably about halfway through right now, maybe less. Lovin' this game.

I finally found Beedle's assistant, and had to sell of all my treasures and extra parts to buy his stuff. :p

I Just finished the game off. I can't say exactly how long it took, but I'd wager somewhere in the realm of 18-20 hours.

One thing I could never figure out, however, was how to use those gems. Anybody know?

[quote name='Purple Flames']One thing I could never figure out, however, was how to use those gems. Anybody know?[/quote]
I think there was some mention about it in Ronaldo's father's hideout.
There's an uncharted island in the SW map. It's at the center of 3 rocks in the shape of an equilateral triangle. Once you have 10 gems, you can go there and power up your sword or something. I've only gotten enough Power ones so far, but my sword is on fire now.

i've finished the game. here are my thoughts.

i loved it. it was a fun treat. a very different type of zelda. it was more rpgish then most of the other zeldas. with the small amount of leveling up, though it wasn't much. and the customizing of the ship. which served no real purpose. just for fun.

i loved the puzzles. the new use of the grappling hook and rat bomb, i don't remember it's real name. and i used the bombs and boomerang far more often vs enimies then ever before just becuase they were so easy to use and effective.

i loved the new wallet system and the very expensive items seemed to keep it in check. the map system was incredible. my favorite part of the game. i loved that they didn't have the map, compas, special item formula in the temples. just for changes sake.

i had a great time. not my favorite game in the series. more like a great side quest.

[quote name='yayece']I think there was some mention about it in Ronaldo's father's hideout.
There's an uncharted island in the SW map. It's at the center of 3 rocks in the shape of an equilateral triangle. Once you have 10 gems, you can go there and power up your sword or something. I've only gotten enough Power ones so far, but my sword is on fire now.
[/quote]

It powers up your spirits, not your sword. It just so happens that the Spirit of Power's new abiltiy is your flaming sword.

I finished the game two days ago. Excellent game the whole way through, and I loved the incarnations of the items this time around. The Hammer is just awesome in this game.

There have been two webcomics that came out fairly recently that summed up my initial feelings about the introductory segment of the game:
Awkward Zombie
VGCats

Should we start up a trading items thread or get one going in here? I found out where and how to trade :) Is this real common knowledge? I could post it here in the spoiler tag if need be.

[quote name='Rocko']Fuss, if you could post it I'd appreciate it, as I still don't think I fully understand.[/quote]

I too would like to know... but wondering how spoilerish it would be to know? Sometimes in a Zelda game, the only way you're gonna find out is a FAQ or gameguide or twenty hours of experimentation (neither of which I want to do) but I would like to know how to trade...

Maybe CAG's who've completed Z:pH can weigh in??

Feel free to post the trading information. I haven't run into the place yet after clearing the 4th dungeon, and from what I read, it's accessible after you beat the 3rd dungeon.

If anyone needs Dark Pearl Loops or Pearl Necklaces, I have a few with miscelaneous other odds and ends.

= HOW TO TRADE ITEMS -

To find out how to do the trade go to page 22 in your instruction book. To find Freedle do this:

(This is my first walk-thru, so sorry if its kinda strange...)

The trading area is located on Mercay Island I think all you need is the arrows and bombs... I only did this after I got the grappling hook (If somebody can confirm with me if you need the hook or not that would be great). The trading area is located on the separate island in the north-east. To get there go to the cave you made with a bomb that is a bit to the south-east of the temple. In the cave hit the eye on the wall with the arrow, a bridge will appear taking you to the south. When you exit the stone to the west will tell you "A cliff side not so far from here has a hidden weak spot. Shine a beam parallel with a line between the temple and the Mercay Tavern". Now go east and angle the rock statue's light up in the correct direction (north-westish). The rock statue head should be there, I do not recall doing anything special to get him up. Go to the cliff side the light takes you to and throw a bomb to open a new cave. Where the cave is just west of the location of the tree you rolled into to get the money at the start of the game. When you exit the cave go north and Freedle will be there. Put stuff in the boxes and there ya go - the rest is explained in the directions on page 22.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

zelda-trade-1.jpg

zelda-trade-2.jpg

zelda-trade-3.jpg

zelda-trade-4.jpg

I felt kinda bad because I traded him a Zora Scale \\:D/

I have managed to trade one time while playing online. It will tell you that you made a trade after the match. Also when you go back to him and enter trading mode then go back he will let you know if you took part in a trade.

My friend code is:
180501415484 -- Mark

I am making a list of what I need and all that fun stuff... will update in the AM.

bread's done
Back