The Office - Season 4 - Discussion [possible spoilers]

I hadn't been following this show, but I started catching the re-runs on TBS. Watched the full episode last night and I loved it. Are seasons 1-3 really good, or is one of them a dud? I might have to pick a set up, if I can find a deal.

I think the problem the detractors are hitting on is that this first episode was actually really complicated to follow.

It goes from the accident -> rabies -> fun run. That's an incredible stretch, worthy of the recent schlock of Simpsons, where Bart might find a rabbit in the woods, and then later, own his own used car lot. (I don't believe this has actually happened in the Simpsons, as I do not watch the trash that is labeled as such these days, but you get the idea of the overwhelming amount of disconnect between the beginning and the end. But I bet it's going to happen now.)

My experience with tv shows is that the more complicated the episodes have to get, the worse the show itself becomes. If you watch season 1 of the Office, already there's a huge difference in how the show is generally laid out and executed versus seasons 2 and 3. In my opinion that's a pretty short amount of time to already be noticing a lot of drastic change, even if it's nothing more than series of minor changes. All of that adds up, and ultimately changes the show for better or worse.

And usually the best indicator is seeing how much more complex the plots have to get in order to bring you something new.

A good example (I'm sure there are many others) is Spongebob. In the beginning, the episodes have these really simple plots. "Spongebob can't remember how to make a Krabby Patty." That's it. Now the episodes move so quickly and are full of explanations and lots of "here's how we got to here, and here's how we are getting to there" text going on.

So when you've got something morphing from simple, straightforward premises into multi-layered "this only works because you saw the 8 things leading up to it" sorts of events, that's how I usually gauge whether or not a show is deteriorating. Maybe this is all personal opinion, but that's how I've always seen it. And usually when I really like something, I notice how the later episodes tend to fall apart compared to earlier stuff simply because of this ravenous need to be more complex. It's the whole "we have to continually wow our audience and keep them guessing" syndrome. It's hard to top something that is always so good, and that's a problem because there's always going to be a disconnection between the ability of the writers to do that and match it with the high expectations an audience will come to have.

A parallel to this is when you start seeing certain staples go by the wayside. The only real example I have right now is Jim's decreasing amount of pranks on Dwight. While I could see that getting old, not having it seems out of place and a little empty. Besides, the pranks were always so perfectly executed, I can't see someone getting sick of them. This might be a little bit of an exaggeration on my part.

I don't think this is happening just yet with the Office. If every episode ends up being this convoluted, then yeah, there's a problem. And if all the episodes start to focus heavily on relationships, then that's not so much a problem as it is a further deviation from the original premise of the show. But it's too early to tell. Season 3 had arguably some of the best stuff in the series yet, so I'm willing to wait.

Besides, there's still a huge amount of stuff I really enjoy.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I hadn't been following this show, but I started catching the re-runs on TBS. Watched the full episode last night and I loved it. Are seasons 1-3 really good, or is one of them a dud? I might have to pick a set up, if I can find a deal.[/quote] The show doesnt really start to pick up until season 2 where it just seemed to hit its comedy stride.

[quote name='munch']So you all thought that episode was up to snuff with the former seasons? It maybe could have worked with a lot of reworking and 30 minutes. It was not very good the way it was last night.[/quote]It may as well have been two 30 minute episodes with a related storyline.

But come on... "the body of a walrus, and the head... of a sea lion."

[quote name='botticus']It may as well have been two 30 minute episodes with a related storyline.[/quote]

IMO, it was and you could totally tell. It's not like last years "supersized" 40 minute shows. Those were just regular eps with scenes that would have been otherwise deleted left in.

[quote name='Strell']I think the problem the detractors are hitting on is that this first episode was actually really complicated to follow.

It goes from the accident -> rabies -> fun run. That's an incredible stretch, worthy of the recent schlock of Simpsons, where Bart might find a rabbit in the woods, and then later, own his own used car lot. (I don't believe this has actually happened in the Simpsons, as I do not watch the trash that is labeled as such these days, but you get the idea of the overwhelming amount of disconnect between the beginning and the end. But I bet it's going to happen now.)

My experience with tv shows is that the more complicated the episodes have to get, the worse the show itself becomes. If you watch season 1 of the Office, already there's a huge difference in how the show is generally laid out and executed versus seasons 2 and 3. In my opinion that's a pretty short amount of time to already be noticing a lot of drastic change, even if it's nothing more than series of minor changes. All of that adds up, and ultimately changes the show for better or worse.

And usually the best indicator is seeing how much more complex the plots have to get in order to bring you something new.

A good example (I'm sure there are many others) is Spongebob. In the beginning, the episodes have these really simple plots. "Spongebob can't remember how to make a Krabby Patty." That's it. Now the episodes move so quickly and are full of explanations and lots of "here's how we got to here, and here's how we are getting to there" text going on.

So when you've got something morphing from simple, straightforward premises into multi-layered "this only works because you saw the 8 things leading up to it" sorts of events, that's how I usually gauge whether or not a show is deteriorating. Maybe this is all personal opinion, but that's how I've always seen it. And usually when I really like something, I notice how the later episodes tend to fall apart compared to earlier stuff simply because of this ravenous need to be more complex. It's the whole "we have to continually wow our audience and keep them guessing" syndrome. It's hard to top something that is always so good, and that's a problem because there's always going to be a disconnection between the ability of the writers to do that and match it with the high expectations an audience will come to have.

A parallel to this is when you start seeing certain staples go by the wayside. The only real example I have right now is Jim's decreasing amount of pranks on Dwight. While I could see that getting old, not having it seems out of place and a little empty. Besides, the pranks were always so perfectly executed, I can't see someone getting sick of them. This might be a little bit of an exaggeration on my part.

I don't think this is happening just yet with the Office. If every episode ends up being this convoluted, then yeah, there's a problem. And if all the episodes start to focus heavily on relationships, then that's not so much a problem as it is a further deviation from the original premise of the show. But it's too early to tell. Season 3 had arguably some of the best stuff in the series yet, so I'm willing to wait.

Besides, there's still a huge amount of stuff I really enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I think I see where you're coming from, but the show became a lot more complicated in the 2nd and 3rd seasons because of the side characters and their interactions. I think that worked for the betterment of the show. It's also one of the reasons why I'm glad the UK Office only lasted a couple of seasons. A show has to evolve on a certain level to develop. Hell, Seinfeld changed a lot IMO, but in very subtle ways.

But that's not compelxity of the story line, like you are talking about. I didn't find the story to be that far off from what we've seen before. I didn't see a problem with the plausibility of it all, just the execution and the unfunniness (is that a word?) of it all. For instance, the scene visting Meredith in the hospital just wasn't that funny. It could have been cut and the episode would have been better for it. Same thing with that long segment on animals. It just wasn't very good. I felt like the deleted scenes were placed in to make it an hour long.

This last episode just left a bad taste in my mouth. I know it will get better, so I'm not worried about it. I just thought it was a sub par episode that looked 10x worse since it was the much hyped premiere.

[quote name='munch']Hell, Seinfeld changed a lot IMO, but in very subtle ways. [/quote]

Wow. I love Sienfeld, probably my favorite sitcom ever, but the changes in the show over the years were FAR from subtle. It went from very dry, witty, humor to almost slapstick by the end. I still liked it because I loved the characters, but Elaine wasn't knocking people down with her "get out!" push and George wasn't a screaming lunatic half the time in the first 3 or 4 seasons.

BTW, I liked this week's episode, but I am not a fan of hour long sitcoms. 22 minutes is perfect for these types of shows.

While I won't dive into a whole thesis, Strell is pretty much on the ball from a Media Studies perspective. Characters and plots are generally very simple and very stereotypical to allow the most members of an audience to understand or "get" everything. This was a very complex episode. A treat for a diehard fan of the show, but I can see why a casual viewer wouldn't like it.

[quote name='lordwow']While I won't dive into a whole thesis, Strell is pretty much on the ball from a Media Studies perspective. Characters and plots are generally very simple and very stereotypical to allow the most members of an audience to understand or "get" everything. This was a very complex episode. A treat for a diehard fan of the show, but I can see why a casual viewer wouldn't like it.[/QUOTE]

It was pretty clear in the first 5 minutes when they were going through where the various characters were that this wasn't a good introductory episode. You basically had to know a decent amount about the show to get a lot of what happened.

[quote name='botticus']It may as well have been two 30 minute episodes with a related storyline.

[/QUOTE]

it sure seemed like 2 episodes to me

My favorite part was the stripper and the giant check. Also when Darryl was talking to the stripper when the run started.

I was very relieved that they didn't kill Meredith though. I saw spoilers in the middle of Summer of the T-Shirt everyone was wearing. Speculation ran wild that she died from rabies. :lol:

[quote name='lebowsky']Wow. I love Sienfeld, probably my favorite sitcom ever, but the changes in the show over the years were FAR from subtle. [/QUOTE]

QFT. Seinfeld changed A LOT over the course of the show. Going from a simple conversation based show that hardly left Jerry's apartment to...well...George running a Frogger machine acrossed a street. It just got progressively wackier and more "out there" as the series progressed. Still, I love every episode of Seinfeld.

Some of the characters in the office premiere just felt different from what they were in seasons 2 or 3 but I think change is a good thing because it keeps the show fresh. Like Strell said, the Dwight pranks are always good but how many of those can they do before people complain about the show being stale?

I thought the premiere was great. It was funny, it tied up some loose ends from last season, showed what the characters are up to now, and set up what we should expect from the rest of the season. What more can you ask for?

I enjoyed the episode. It did really feel like 2 half hour episodes, but I was okay with that.
It was also nice to see Pam more dressed up then she usually is. It's always funny to see how everyone looks a little different in a season premier, and it kind of throws me off for an episode or two.

[quote name='lebowsky']Wow. I love Sienfeld, probably my favorite sitcom ever, but the changes in the show over the years were FAR from subtle. It went from very dry, witty, humor to almost slapstick by the end. I still liked it because I loved the characters, but Elaine wasn't knocking people down with her "get out!" push and George wasn't a screaming lunatic half the time in the first 3 or 4 seasons.

BTW, I liked this week's episode, but I am not a fan of hour long sitcoms. 22 minutes is perfect for these types of shows.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to the style of comedy as much as the introduction of new characters that play longer roles in the sitcom (Puddy, Newman, etc.) I could be wrong, but I always thought that around the 3 or 4th seasons was when you saw characters outside the main 4 play a large role.

[quote name='lordwow']While I won't dive into a whole thesis, Strell is pretty much on the ball from a Media Studies perspective. Characters and plots are generally very simple and very stereotypical to allow the most members of an audience to understand or "get" everything. This was a very complex episode. A treat for a diehard fan of the show, but I can see why a casual viewer wouldn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Don't act like this was an episode only hardcore fans got. I'm as into the Office just as much as anyone (looking at my Dwight bobblehead doll right now). The episode, while having its moments, was disjointed, slow paced, and dull. I know it will get better, but this episode was sub par. And I think Strell can add to his hypothesis that shows begin to go bad as soon as only "diehard" fans can get.

So who thinks that Karen will be back later in the season? I just can't see them getting rid of a charecter so quickly, a charecter that I personally liked.

[quote name='dallow']Things seem way too easy between Jim and Pam.
My 'will they or won't they' anticipation is gone.[/quote]

Hopefully it stays gone for the remainder of the series. I don't want yet another "Ross and Rachel" or "Sam and Diane" where they break up and then get back together forever and ever. Why can't a young unmarried couple just stay happy? The show is funny and awkward in plenty of other ways.

I finally saw the premiere last night. I really liked it and I was laughing throughout - I do tend to agree that trimming it to 30 minutes probably would have made it better but an hour of The Office is better than an hour of just about anything else.

[quote name='javeryh']Hopefully it stays gone for the remainder of the series. I don't want yet another "Ross and Rachel" or "Sam and Diane" where they break up and then get back together forever and ever. Why can't a young unmarried couple just stay happy? The show is funny and awkward in plenty of other ways.
[/QUOTE]

It's well known in TV executive/production circles that whenever you remove that tension, a large part of the audience will no longer watch the show, as they have finally had a cathartic satisfaction of "ok, it happened, I can rest peacefully now" reaction.

Having Jim and Pam apart from each other, but always yearning, creates a strong reason to watch. Having them together sort of breaks that.

It's not quite jumping the shark, but it tends to hurt a show's ability to pull an audience.

When you remove the cliffhanger, some people won't stick around. That's the stigma.

[quote name='darthbudge']So who thinks that Karen will be back later in the season? I just can't see them getting rid of a charecter so quickly, a charecter that I personally liked.[/quote]She will. It's confirmed she'll be in just 3 episodes.

The first half was great, but the second half was ridiculous. When they have Michael doing something as dumb as driving into a lake, it really takes away any sort of realism they were going for with his character.

That said, I LOVED Andy and Creed tonight. Creed dyeing his hair with the printer toner was hilarious.

I also loved Andy's "YES! Cash basket!" and "You should call it Dunder-MifflinFinity. Put the last two words together."

[quote name='Plinko']The first half was great, but the second half was ridiculous. When they have Michael doing something as dumb as driving into a lake, it really takes away any sort of realism they were going for with his character.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he did that to prove a point, that the machines can't be trusted. Remember only give your robots a 6 foot extension cord in case they try to attack.

I also liked Kevin as Andy's sidekick calling Jim tuna and such.

I really can't take Micheal anymore. They've reached a point with the character where we already know why he's so screwed up and how screwed up he is, it's hard to not have sympathy for the guy. But Micheal is wrong, and they're not making Ryan look like enough of an ass for me to hate him or get behind Micheal. This is annoying the crap out of me.

Jim actually being with Pam is somewhat boring. I don't want to see them break up, but I don't know. Just really doesn't seem like anything interesting can ome out of that relationship. The whole " it's akward in the office now " thing can only last so long.

Kevin and Andy talking about how $$ Ryan is was great. Ryan doesn't seem to have changed much. It's just him but in power. Like I said, he's right about everything and it's Micheal that's overacting. The thing about how he got an offer from Karen months ago but he turned her down actually made me like the character more. Maybe he's the one who got her pregnant?

[quote name='Strell']Sup Bra. Can we get some Red Bulls in here? Sometimes you just wanna ride the bull.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

i was dying after that

Michael's neverending confidence gets on my nerves. I was hoping Ryan would stand up to him more and break some of that. Great episode.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Damn, I missed it. Do they rerun later on in the week on some other NBC affiliate?[/quote]
I believe you can watch the epiosde on the NBC website.

[quote name='jer7583']Michael's neverending confidence gets on my nerves. I was hoping Ryan would stand up to him more and break some of that. Great episode.[/quote]Ugh, no. Much better to see Ryan get knocked down a few pegs. I approved of the awkward way it was done.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgq1ZsA7lM[/media]
I keep forgetting each week theres deleted scenes. The Welcome Back sign is priceless! Theres 4 total from last weeks episode. Make sure you watch number 4 for
Skateboarding Creed

[quote name='CouRageouS']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgq1ZsA7lM
I keep forgetting each week theres deleted scenes. The Welcome Back sign is priceless! Theres 4 total from last weeks episode. Make sure you watch number 4 for
Skateboarding Creed
[/QUOTE]
That was great.

"I'm going to go to the Orange store and buy and Apricot computer."

Good shit. Starting to like Mike again. Like last time, relationship Jim and pam was the most boring part of the show. Friend Jim and Pam ( the prank) was great. Bunch of other high points in the show.

Deleted scenes are good.

GREAT episode tonight. The first half hour was better than any episode last season. Had they not put in another ridiculous Michael storyline (kidnapping the pizza kid) in the second half, it would have been the perfect hour.

Andy just gets better and better. Kevin was, as always, hilarious.

"It's like eating a hot circle of garbage."

The more I think about it, the more I'm getting annoyed with Ryan's whole meteoric rise thing.

I mean when he starts at DM, he basically acts like he doesn't care about anything. And then all of a sudden he's a genius.

Guess I don't understand.

[quote name='Strell']The more I think about it, the more I'm getting annoyed with Ryan's whole meteoric rise thing.

I mean when he starts at DM, he basically acts like he doesn't care about anything. And then all of a sudden he's a genius.

Guess I don't understand.[/quote]Well, he's not a genius, he just a forward thinker, up to snuff about the tech world and he's bringing to Dunder Mifflin.

He hated his stay as a temp, and didn't care too much because he really did feel above everyone else.

Corporate just hired him because he has his degree, and had big ideas.
No one else seemed as promising I suppose.

Also... I miss Karen.

[quote name='dallow']
No one else seemed as promising I suppose.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone catch the part where Jim said he retracted his application for corporate? I'm sure he would have gotten it if he hadn't.

Also, Michael is getting more and more ridiculous with every passing episode. It really feels like The Simpsons, where Homer was "dumb" the first few seasons but the writers never really took advantage of that. In the later seasons, it seems like the only way to get a cheap laugh out of Homer is through physical humor due to Homer being close to completely retarded.

I really hope they don't do the same thing with The Office.

I assume in last seasons finale that when the big boss guy asked Jim "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" is when Jim retracted his application and ran back to Scranton and asked Pam out.

Last night's episode was great, and then Andy did the Acapella song with the phones, and that moved it into the best of the season thus far.

What a great episode. Michael's response on the webcam was hilarious. There's nothing funnier than bleeped out lauguage on network TV.

"Jim will you sign my cast?"

OMG that scene was hilarious...and loved the prank that Jim and Pam had with Dwight...those instant messages were awesome.

I wasn't too enthralled with last night's episode, the last half hour kinda dragged. I loved the prank on Dwight though, that was money.

bread's done
Back