The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

[quote name='dafoomie']You're seriously underestimating Rondo, its only his 2nd year. He most certainly has all star potential. He's not Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but he's a damn fine player. All he needs to do is improve his shooting and be more careful with the ball, and he's an all star tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Dude has a way of filling up the stat sheet. He's already one of the best rebounding guards in the league.

on one hand I hate they won that way because the Lakers got it going. But it will help in the way that they won't be to full of themselves going into the next game.

If i'm the Lakers, I feel really good about this series right now.

A) No way the Celtics are going to win a game in Los Angeles due to the fact that the Lakers bench will play better and the Celtics won't shoot 4 times more free throws then the Lakers.

B) This series is going to be 3-2 Lakers lead going back to Boston.

[quote name='ph33r m3']If i'm the Lakers, I feel really good about this series right now.

A) No way the Celtics are going to win a game in Los Angeles due to the fact that the Lakers bench will play better and the Celtics won't shoot 4 times more free throws then the Lakers.

B) This series is going to be 3-2 Lakers lead going back to Boston.[/quote]

that could very well happen

at first i was thinking (like everyone else) "whoever wins game 2 will win the series"

but after the run LA made, i think they will have the momentum and will have a guarantee win for game 3...then i'm thinking they could very well win both games 4 and 5, having the road woes coming back to haunt the celtics...going back to boston, it could either go like the miami-dallas finals and lakers could complete the series, or boston could be desperate and snag game 6...then it's anyone's game 7

There should have been so many more fouls called on the Celtics with the way the Refs called fouls on the Lakers. That was some bullshit right there

I believe one of you guys tried to make fun when I said the series would be less about superstars and more about which teams role players would step up.

I think the joke was "NBA Where Role Players Happen"

I think Powe would like to make a case for me also.

They put the whistles away on the Lakers during their run in the 4th quarter. I await your admonishment of the referees for that.

Very few teams win 3 straight in the 2-3-2, its only happened 2 or 3 times. I see the kid from Inglewood carrying them to a win on the road.

[quote name='ph33r m3']If i'm the Lakers, I feel really good about this series right now.

B) This series is going to be 3-2 Lakers lead going back to Boston.[/QUOTE]

No way Lakers are going to win the next three in a row. The "almost" comeback was fool's gold. Lakers will win 2 of 3 and head back facing elimination in game 6 and 7. Lakers will lose in game 7.

Kobe, keep on shooting the Lakers out of games and their defense is terrible. Same ole' Lakers of season's past.
They had the luxury of home court advantage in the West but were unable to deal with the pressure of winning on the road to start a series.

[quote name='dafoomie']They put the whistles away on the Lakers during their run in the 4th quarter. I await your admonishment of the referees for that.

Very few teams win 3 straight in the 2-3-2, its only happened 2 or 3 times. I see the kid from Inglewood carrying them to a win on the road.[/quote]
I was referring more so to the first half than anything, I just couldn't believe what the refs were doing, and Kobe made sure to point it out with his technical.

Also the 38 to 10 freethrow discrepancy has something to say as well

[quote name='unforeseen']They had the luxury of home court advantage in the West but were unable to deal with the pressure of winning on the road to start a series.[/quote]
You would probably say the same thing if it was the other way around and Boston started in LA, especially with their track record this post-season.

Either way, I missed out on the 4th quarter completely. I was surprised to come home and find out the Lakers made a near comeback to steal the game, which left me more crushed :/

I think laker fans are just pulling things out of the air about now. Though I think its far from over....and not a chance for a sweep.

This series is proving one thing....that the Lakers role players are simply not even on the same level as Bostons.

Each and every game of this play offs a Boston role player has showed up huge in a game. Where as vlad rad, and vulichic, walton,farmar and the like are bumming it up like crazy. During the course of the game the Lakers role players are pretty much a non factor in every way other than to hit a completely wide open 3.

Powe shows out, Perkins shows out, Posey continues to be extremely stable in his role. The only thing that Boston has to watch out of his how crappy Sammy is going to play.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I think laker fans are just pulling things out of the air about now. Though I think its far from over....and not a chance for a sweep.

This series is proving one thing....that the Lakers role players are simply not even on the same level as Bostons.

Each and every game of this play offs a Boston role player has showed up huge in a game. Where as vlad rad, and vulichic, walton,farmar and the like are bumming it up like crazy. During the course of the game the Lakers role players are pretty much a non factor in every way other than to hit a completely wide open 3.

Powe shows out, Perkins shows out, Posey continues to be extremely stable in his role. The only thing that Boston has to watch out of his how crappy Sammy is going to play.[/QUOTE]

Good point. All the NBA "experts" said that the Lakers bench was vastly superior to the aging Boston reserves. Nothing but hype...just like the unstoppable Lakers team against the the unknown Pistions in 2003-2004.

Come on Laker fans, we need more excuses on why they lost tonight to add to the countless reasons why they did not win the past 4 NBA finals.

No Laker fan should say ANYTHING about officiating. Being a Kings fan, the Kings have been screwed so many times against, especially against the Lakers, especially game 6 of the 2002 WCF where lakers shot 26 free throws in the 4th quarter which took it to game 7. The USA Today, Washington Post, and even Ralph Nader said it was the worst officiating game ever. As you can tell, I am bitter about that because it was VERY blatant.

LA should realize they weren't being as aggressive as the Boston was. Nothing was going toward the basketball for them. They were fading to the sides or just taking jump shots. The view times Lakers got into the paint, they had an open look. So please, don't blame the refs.

Anyways, Boston almost gave it up. But thanks to great defense and Powe playing beastly, Boston hung on. Boston wins in 6. They'll take 1 in LA.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']No Laker fan should say ANYTHING about officiating. Being a Kings fan, the Kings have been screwed so many times against, especially against the Lakers, especially game 6 of the 2002 WCF where lakers shot 26 free throws in the 4th quarter which took it to game 7. The USA Today, Washington Post, and even Ralph Nader said it was the worst officiating game ever. As you can tell, I am bitter about that because it was VERY blatant.

LA should realize they weren't being as aggressive as the Boston was. Nothing was going toward the basketball for them. They were fading to the sides or just taking jump shots. The view times Lakers got into the paint, they had an open look. So please, don't blame the refs.

Anyways, Boston almost gave it up. But thanks to great defense and Powe playing beastly, Boston hung on. Boston wins in 6. They'll take 1 in LA.[/quote]

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8225460/Pierce-helps-Celtics-edge-Lakers,-take-2-0-lead-

Boston enjoyed a huge free-throw advantage, going 27-for-38 from the foul line, while the Lakers were just 10-for-10.

The whistles were one-sided.

"I didn't notice," Bryant said, cracking a smile.
Not my words

Let's throw some more fuel on the fire (specifically, the one the refs should burn in)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8225128/Down-2-0,-Lakers-sorely-need-a-hero

Within the first couple of minutes, Perkins and then Garnett were tooted for committing moving screens. Both of these calls were highly questionable, and even though they favored the Lakers, they certainly boded ill for the visitors. When the visitors get the benefit of blatantly bogus fouls early in a game, the standard operating procedure tends to be that the refs will shaft them from then on. And that's exactly what happened.

A pair of phantom fouls on Kobe ruined the Lakers' first-half rotation, and at the intermission Boston had attempted 19 free throws to L.A.'s two (one of these being a technical foul on KG). After three quarters the margin was 26-to-4, and the final total was 38-to-10.

This disparity was even more puzzling since the Lakers' game-plan called for them to constantly drive the ball to the hole. And several replays showed exactly how biased and inconsistent the refs' decisions truly were.

No surprise, then, that the Lakers were distracted, annoyed and even outraged all game long. And rightly so.

Celtics will win game 4 in LA I'm thinking. This is the first time the Lakers have been in a hole all playoffs I'm interested in seeing how they handle it

Can't use the "aggressive" argument.

Check the shot charts on Yahoo! The Lakers almost took twice as much shots in the paint compared to the Celtics, and they shot 28 less free throws. Not to mention the early foul trouble for Kobe over two questionable calls put the Lakers out of funk.

This series was rigged to go to 7, but now the refs have made it so blatant that they are going to call it more evenly during the Laker's 3 game homestand to reject any notions of conspiracy, possibly costing the Lakers the series.

Lakers in 6.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Wow, these calls have been horrendous. Excluding maybe 3 plays, it's been one-sided towards the home team.

Big fan of Leon Powe (Reppin' Oakland Tech) but their giving him Kobe Bryant calls out there. Add to the fact that somehow Turiaf has a clean block, and gets called for a foul for accidentally landing on Powe. While, Gasol gets SMACKED on an alley-oop and no call.

Delaney can go suck a dick, the whole officiating crew in the NBA can for that matter.[/quote]

[quote name='gokou36']I called it in game 1, the Celtics were getting all the calls. NBA=rigged and refs cheat like hell.[/quote]

[quote name='Inf^Shini']There should have been so many more fouls called on the Celtics with the way the Refs called fouls on the Lakers. That was some bullshit right there[/quote]

Agreed! With all 3 of theses people.. The Lakers I bet would of came out with the victory tonight if it wasn't for those fuck calls. The calls were so bad I turned off my tv and left. There were so many fouls made by the Celtics that weren't getting called. The officiating crew for Game 2 sucked! :bs: In the 4th quarter around 6:00 mins I turned back on my tv and saw that great Lakers run to cut it within 2. I cant wait to see Game 3 back in LA. Watch the huge difference in foul calling favoring the Lakers. This is why no road team can win on the road. Its always one sided.

I still have faith in the Lakers to take both Game 3 & 4 and tie this series up!

I think some people are confused with the format for the NBA finals. To reduce traveling from the eastcoast to the westcoast, it's a 2-3-2 and not a 2-2-1-1-1.

So when the Lakers are done defending homecourt they will be up 3 games to 2.

The Lakers didn't get calls because they weren't aggressively attacking the hoop like the Celtics were, they're a jumpshooting team. They got a lot of calls against them because they were trying to play defense with their hands instead of moving their feet. Yes, add the homecourt advantage every team enjoys, and theres your foul differential. I expect the Lakers will get about 50 FT attempts in game 3.

The Lakers proved to be what I thought they were, very soft up front and very poor defensively. How in the world is Vladimir Radmanovic a starter in the NBA Finals?

[quote name='dafoomie']You're seriously underestimating Rondo, its only his 2nd year. He most certainly has all star potential. He's not Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but he's a damn fine player. All he needs to do is improve his shooting and be more careful with the ball, and he's an all star tomorrow.

And no, its not easy to run that offense. Sam Cassell apparently can't grasp it.[/QUOTE]

I think you are seriously overrating Rondo. But we each have our own opinions only time will tell.

And please don't use Sam Cassell in this discussion. He is obviously done and he was never that good at running a team. He was always more of a scoring PG.

[quote name='DomLando']I think you are seriously overrating Rondo. But we each have our own opinions only time will tell.[/QUOTE]
16 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 turnovers. Its hard to argue against him the day after a performance like that.

You don't have to be Chris Paul to be an all-star. He's not going to be on the level of a Steve Nash, Chris Paul, etc, but he can easily be on the level of a Chauncey Billups on that 2nd tier of very good PG's who aren't quite superstar players.

rajon rondo has no jump shot. they don't even guard him at the perimeter anymore. no way he can be a "mr. big shot" like chauncey billups.

[quote name='traininvain']rajon rondo has no jump shot. they don't even guard him at the perimeter anymore. no way he can be a "mr. big shot" like chauncey billups.[/QUOTE]
How good was Billups in his 2nd year? He was nothing special for his first 5 or 6 years in the league.

I'm also not making a stylistic comparison. He's not that kind of shooter but he's a better playmaker.

[quote name='traininvain']rajon rondo has no jump shot. they don't even guard him at the perimeter anymore. no way he can be a "mr. big shot" like chauncey billups.[/QUOTE]

Cut Rondo some slack. He is a rookie, what else do you want from him in his first year. He can be as good as Chauncey Billups...only time will tell.

49.2% shooting in the regular season is pretty good for a PG.
Hell, Rondo shot better than Billups this year (49.2% vs. 44.8%).

I like this sudden change of "Boston has better role players", Role players play better at home.

Watch those Vujacic 3's go in, Ronny Turiaf will get Leon Powe call's and get to the line.

Since 2004, two teams won their 3 home games and went on to win the NBA Finals (Pistons & Heat).

Paul Pierce will definitely show up on the road, it's going to come down to Garnett. I don't understand the Lakers defense, I really don't. Put Odom on Pierce and leave anyone on Garnett. I'd rather let Garnett try and take the game over, which he can't do. Paul Pierce is their leader, when he makes the shots, everyone plays better.

Paul Pierce is the 'head' of the Celtics, cut em' off and the Lakers might take this back to Boston 3-2.

I've always said that the Celtics bench is better. Now that they've played 2 games, they've proven it.

3 teams in history have won all 3 home games in the 2-3-2. 3 teams in history have come back from down 0-2 in the finals.

The Lakers simply don't have anyone who can guard Pierce. Kobe might be the best choice but he gives up size. But who covers Ray Allen? The Lakers are not a good defensive team, they're not a good rebounding team, and with the exception of Turiaf, they're small and soft up front.

Pierce has shredded their defense in this series, even with Kobe on him at times. I don't see that stopping. Lamar Odom can't guard Pierce, are you kidding?

[quote name='unforeseen']Cut Rondo some slack. He is a rookie, what else do you want from him in his first year. He can be as good as Chauncey Billups...only time will tell.

49.2% shooting in the regular season is pretty good for a PG.
Hell, Rondo shot better than Billups this year (49.2% vs. 44.8%).[/quote]

He is not a rookie. This is his second year.

But the point is still valid. Rondo is a very good player and one of the biggest reason is the fact that he doesnt have a jump shot.....AND he knows it.

Rondo plays EXACTLY within his limits more than any other player I have ever seen. He cant it a jumper...but how many does he take a game? 4 maybe 5? As a second year player he is smart enough to know how to play to his own strengths...something not even 4 or 5 year player learn.

Rondo doesnt need to shot. He is most likely in the top 5 of the quickest NBA players...he uses his quickness to blow by people and make plays. Thus helping his team much more than the likes of Vlad Rad and Vulic. Those 2 still look completely lost in what their role is suppose to be. Other than hitting the open 3 they seem to just vanish through out the game. Rondo helps his team win..bottom line. You cant ask more than that from a 2nd year player.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And excuse me Ph33r I believe you were one of the people who made fun of me when I said, "The game will be less about superstars and more about role players" I said that before the finals even started.

Honestly, If the Lakers want to live and die by the 3 than let them. I still say that LA roles players are horrid. I have always said that and will always say that. Like I said before, Boston played lock down D on Kobe and Odem and Gasol...causing them to have to rely on their role players. And as soon as that happened the Lakers fell apart. Boston might be the only team that could play good enough defense to do it.

And guess what? Other than the fouls the lakers have a ton of other things they did wrong. They defended like pure crap. Any time you let a god damn PF run the entire length of the court for a dunk you are doing something wrong. Boston was hitting jumpshots all over the place. Which again falls on role players. Vulic cant play D, Vlad Rad cant play D, Walton cant play D the list goes on and on.

I agree with Dafoomie. LA stop making excuses for every time you lose. Your team simply didnt have it. You still are a team of 2 superstars and bunch of over overachievers.

[quote name='dafoomie']I've always said that the Celtics bench is better. Now that they've played 2 games, they've proven it.

3 teams in history have won all 3 home games in the 2-3-2. 3 teams in history have come back from down 0-2 in the finals.

The Lakers simply don't have anyone who can guard Pierce. Kobe might be the best choice but he gives up size. But who covers Ray Allen? The Lakers are not a good defensive team, they're not a good rebounding team, and with the exception of Turiaf, they're small and soft up front.

Pierce has shredded their defense in this series, even with Kobe on him at times. I don't see that stopping. Lamar Odom can't guard Pierce, are you kidding?[/quote]

Radmonovic can't guard Pierce either, Pierce blows by him every time. Makes it wayyy to easy. Odom won't stop Pierce, but he'll at least give Pierce a tough time getting to the rim, while Radmonovic lets Pierce go by him.

If the Celtics bench plays like they do on the road like they did at home, then yes their better.

It's been tough in history to come back, but you can't deny the fact that since 2004, two teams have done it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']He is not a rookie. This is his second year.

But the point is still valid. Rondo is a very good player and one of the biggest reason is the fact that he doesnt have a jump shot.....AND he knows it.

Rondo plays EXACTLY within his limits more than any other player I have ever seen. He cant it a jumper...but how many does he take a game? 4 maybe 5? As a second year player he is smart enough to know how to play to his own strengths...something not even 4 or 5 year player learn.

Rondo doesnt need to shot. He is most likely in the top 5 of the quickest NBA players...he uses his quickness to blow by people and make plays. Thus helping his team much more than the likes of Vlad Rad and Vulic. Those 2 still look completely lost in what their role is suppose to be. Other than hitting the open 3 they seem to just vanish through out the game. Rondo helps his team win..bottom line. You cant ask more than that from a 2nd year player.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And excuse me Ph33r I believe you were one of the people who made fun of me when I said, "The game will be less about superstars and more about role players" I said that before the finals even started.

Honestly, If the Lakers want to live and die by the 3 than let them. I still say that LA roles players are horrid. I have always said that and will always say that. Like I said before, Boston played lock down D on Kobe and Odem and Gasol...causing them to have to rely on their role players. And as soon as that happened the Lakers fell apart. Boston might be the only team that could play good enough defense to do it.

And guess what? Other than the fouls the lakers have a ton of other things they did wrong. They defended like pure crap. Any time you let a god damn PF run the entire length of the court for a dunk you are doing something wrong. Boston was hitting jumpshots all over the place. Which again falls on role players. Vulic cant play D, Vlad Rad cant play D, Walton cant play D the list goes on and on.

I agree with Dafoomie. LA stop making excuses for every time you lose. Your team simply didnt have it. You still are a team of 2 superstars and bunch of over overachievers.[/quote]

I don't think I made fun of you for saying role players would be key.

Phil Jackson admiited they played like shit, they didn't hustle, they weren't aggresive. Teams play aggresive so they can get fouls called, when you don't get the calls, you usually lax on aggresiveness. How can Kobe be aggresive when he's called for ticky-tack bullshit?

Lakers are playing like ass on defense and the Celtics are executing on every level.

Ph33r. Please dont take this as a battle cry or anything. I am not trying to get into a war with you.

But you flip flop more than the shoe with the same name.

Everything you say the exact opposite seems to happen. Then you come here say how everyone else is in the wrong and how we are "all of a sudden" saying something. There were 3 or 4 of us that said flat out, "The Lakers dont have a good bench and Boston does." You and someone else made fun of me for saying that.

Now 2 games in 2 Boston players have showed out and allowed their team to win. Where as every Lakers role player (this is aside from Fisher, Odem, Gasol who are above just role players) have yet to do anything other than hit a extremely open jumpshot. Their defense is horrid, their shooting is horrid, their play making ability is non existent.

Rondo had 16 rebounds leading the Lakers was Kobe with 8 (which is basically nothing sense he gets doubled all game )

You say you like Boston but you seem to rip apart any and all debates that favor them over the Lakers.

The "Role players play better at home" argument is just plain stupid. No matter where you are you cant let a 3rd back up light you up. There is no way in hell Powe should be taking it from half court and dunking on your team. There really shouldnt be any reason that Rondo a guy without a jumpshot should be completely embarrassing your defense by getting 8 assist in the first game then 16 in the second.

Again, I am not trying to battle you so please leave the name calling and super internet sarcasms out of this one. All I am saying is that I think you are completely under rating Bostons players without warrant.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Yeah sood, I never said anything about role players...so...ummm...yeah...good luck with that.[/quote]

I am not going to look but I thought it was you. I will take your word of it and I apologize for that then.

Also. Man just watch a replay of Vlads dunk. The guy took 5 steps before dunking. 5 steps. The NBA really needs to start calling traveling on all players, its getting ridiculous. In fact they really need to fire almost all the refs and hire new ones. I have said it before....this has been the worst calls I have ever seen in a play off.

But watching Rondo block a 6 10 PF sums up the Lakers.

We were talking about match ups before the finals started. And the Lakers simply cant match up at all. Vlad Rad, Vulic, Walton, Farmar, Gasol (to and existent because he is not mobile enough to guard others) I mean this guys cant match up worth shit. And thats most of your team.

bread's done
Back