The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

The West is fuckin' insane. My Warriors lose to the T-Wolves, barely beat the Knicks and Nets, and somehow blow the shit outta the Hornets. I'm down with the C-Webb signing, don't expect much from him, maybe a couple nice assists here and there. But shit, the Charlotte game showed the Dub's depth. Brandan Wright is gonna be scary when he gets some P/T.

The Dubs are only 4.5 games behind the 1st seed. I can't remember a time in the NBA when all these teams in one conference were this stacked.

[quote name='st0neface']I really can not see Shaq working out in Phoenix, that motherfucker would die running at their tempo.[/quote]

I saw that across the crawl. That just seems like a bad road for PHX to head down, especially if it means dealing Marion.

If I was the Suns i'd definitely make this trade. Even though, Shaq's old, hurt, and outta shape, i'd still take him to dominate Timmy D in the playoffs, because it's evident Amare can't guard Duncan. So the Suns lose the Matrix? It's a crap shoot this off-season because i'm pretty sure he's a F.A.

fuck!

I'm torn. Suns as is right now, especially after that Laker trade for Gasol, cannot win the west. They need a true center, but not one that is in the last few years of his career, with a injured hip, that's scoring 11 points under his career avg and who has missed the last 4 weeks due to injury and who is named Shaq.

Marion is gone after this year anyway, he can opt out and become a free agent after the season which I'm all but positive he'd do, so the Suns needed to move him and get something now, or lose him and get nothing in the off season, but for Shaq? I don't know. If this were 5 years ago, yeah, but not so much now. We'll see I guess.

Amare can't guard Tim Duncan though. And i'm 100% positive the WC Finals will be Suns vs Spurs. When Amare guards Timmy D he gets in foul trouble. Shaq won't be the ol' Shaq Diesel, but he'll maybe play 15-20 minutes a game.

Shaq cant guard Duncan, period. If the rumors about Marion disturbing the team chemistry in the locker room are true after they brought up that
1. he's the highest paid person on the team.
2. doesn't have to create a shot with nash around.
3. has a player friendly up tempo offense w/ good team mates.
In Miami he'll go down in every statiscal category in having to create his own offense and may emerge as a individual talent but he never had to while in phx. so i'll reserve judgment until we see him play. Welcome to rick davis, smush parker, mark blount, white chocolate and a gimpy dwane wade.

[quote name='alucard8319']Shaq cant guard Duncan, period. If the rumors about Marion disturbing the team chemistry in the locker room are true after they brought up that
1. he's the highest paid person on the team.
2. doesn't have to create a shot with nash around.
3. has a player friendly up tempo offense w/ good team mates.
In Miami he'll go down in every statiscal category in having to create his own offense and may emerge as a individual talent but he never had to while in phx. so i'll reserve judgment until we see him play. Welcome to rick davis, smush parker, mark blount, white chocolate and a gimpy dwane wade.[/quote]

"One lucky shot, deserved another"

Marion needed to call Joe Johnson and see how the whole "I can do this on my own" thing went...

ESPN put a interesting tid-bit. The first game after the All-Star break for the Suns, where Shaq could make his return? Against the Lakers.

Kobe vs Shaq in the playoffs? Can you imagine the fuckin' ratings?

Marc Stein, espn.com: J.Kidd back in Dallas, for almost the entire mavs bench including D.George, D.Diop, J.Stackhouse, and starter D.Harris. If this happens, yet another BS trade and now the West is even stronger. Can't see rj and vince sticking around Nj for much long either.

Ya, much like when Sacramento shipped out Webber, they're getting very little in return. The Hawks definitely look strong enough to slide into a bottom play-off spot in the East.

Any other Mavs fan PISSED OFF at Cuban? According to ESPN the sentiment seems to be that Devean George is blocking a much needed trade, but if Kidd had gone to Dallas for Harris and other key role players PLUS two first rounders, I would have switched teams. That's how angry I would have been.

Kidd is old, shoots 36% and plays crappy teams all season. Harris is 10 years younger, and he runs the second best offense in the league playing top notch competition all season.

Cuban got lucky when he traded for Dirk, but now he thinks he's some sort of genius.

Wait, you mean people actually like Cuban? Can't stand that fuckin' crybaby. Boo hoo, the league hates me, suck it up and sign some mentally tougher players.

Devean George should be praised, 2 first rounders? Woulda got fleeced in that deal.

No I don't like Cuban, in the same sense that I don't like Dan Snyder. Both are idiot owners that do ignorant things, but this would be one of the dumbest trades in sports history.

Wow, T.Duncan, B.Hammon and The Admiral won the shooting stars contest. Who would have thought, Twin Towers hitting half court shots respectively, and winning time of 35.1 secs to get the win.

My picks are paul , gibson, and moon to win the rest of the night

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Superman Dunk?

Oh, you mean his Superman 1 foot jump shot? Yeah...that wasn't a dunk, sorry.[/quote]

he still would've won even if he did dunk it. gerald green did the same dunk twice, just a little different, at least dwight was creative and came up with different dunks.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Superman Dunk?

Oh, you mean his Superman 1 foot jump shot? Yeah...that wasn't a dunk, sorry.[/quote]

Actually it was a dunk, sorry.

A shot thrown downward through the basket, with one or two hands. Also: slam, slam-dunk, jam

Dwight Howard was robbed last year with the sticker dunk (much like Green's cake dunk this year) and he responded by turning in one of the top 3 performances in dunk contest history.

His physical skills are INSANE. That is all.

[quote name='DT778']Someone needs to bitch slap David Stern for those fugly uni's they are sporting in the all-star game.[/quote]

QFT. What were they thinking? I love how Rasheed shot nothing but 3's all night, teach you (Mr. Stern) to put me in a game I don't want to play in!

Thought i'd update this. Kidd to Dallas finalized. Tonight on ESPN Suns vs Lakers, Shaq's debut. Kurt Thomas to the Spurs for Brent Barry, Elson, and I believe a 09' 1st Rdr. Rumor has Lenos Kleiza, Eduardo Najera, and a '09 1st rdr from Denver to Sac-Town for Ron Artest. Another rumor has Al Harrington, Mikael Pietrus, Patrick O' Bryant + Trade Exception to Indiana for Jermaine O' Neal.

Really good game last night. It was a lot closer than I thought it was going to be (then again it was a back to back for the Lakers), but at least the Lakers pulled out with the win.

Just need to get back a healthy Bynum and Ariza and the Lakers are all set.

Also, it looks like Bonzi and Mike James are going to the Hornets and the Rockets will be getting Bobby Jackson.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Shaq looked pretty good last night.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which kinda surprised me. Lakers were really sloppy with getting rebounds, and it was harder to attack in the paint. We'll see how long Shaq can keep on playing at this level. Hopefully the Lakers will get a healthy Bynum back before the playoffs. BTW, anyone see the hit on Bell by Shaq. Looks like he has a big nasty bump on his head now.

After the Shaq trade, the Spurs and Suns are the two teams I fear the most in the West. Nash was knocking down all his shots in the first half and I think the Spurs got a good backup with Kurt Thomas.

In my opinion I think the Mavs got weaker with the trade for Kidd, and I don't think the Hornets will get very far in playoffs (but who knows...).

Could Houston's management be any dumber? Let's make a trade that not only doesn't make us better, but it makes our division rival better! Great call. If Houston (or rather when) misses the play-offs the entire front office and coaching staff should be fired.

Didn't the rockets already have a shit load of guards in altson, francis, brooks, and now jackson. Wells well do some goodwhen given minutes and may overtake pargo in the rotation.

[quote name='alucard8319']Didn't the rockets already have a shit load of guards in altson, francis, brooks, and now jackson. Wells well do some goodwhen given minutes and may overtake pargo in the rotation.[/QUOTE]

They really wanted to get rid of Mike James. But yeah, bad trade by the Rockets.

Sweet deal, Andris Biedrins who killed last night, is out several weeks with appendicitis. fuckin' awesome, right when the kid was on a roll, handled KG last night, he's out.

Oh word is Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Duhon, and Wally Sczerbiaskakdkaskdjas;das to the Cavs, Gooden, Hughes to the Bulls, and Expiring Contracts of Ira Newble and Devin Brown to the Sonics.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Oh word is Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Duhon, and Wally Sczerbiaskakdkaskdjas;das to the Cavs, Gooden, Hughes to the Bulls, and Expiring Contracts of Ira Newble and Devin Brown to the Sonics.[/quote]

If that happens the Cavs are pushed right to the top with the Celtics and Pistons IMO. Duhon is underrated IMO and is just what Lebron could use right now and Joe Smith can put up decent numbers to replace Gooden. Ben Wallace gives them a nice defensive presence too.

If delonte west can just stay healthy he could start at point, with boobie gone for a bit and snow just used for his defense, line up could look like:
C Big Z
PF Big Ben
SF Lebron
SG Wally world
PG West

To be honest, I'm glad to see Ben Wallace go. He hasn't really done much since he's been in Chicago. Not quite sure what they plan to do with Larry Hughes though, they have about a billion guards.

As a Cavs fan...I'm optimistic. But I always have that slight apprehension that comes natural to any Cleveland Sports fan. We are after all...the nation's most tortured sports town.

[quote name='alucard8319']If delonte west can just stay healthy he could start at point, with boobie gone for a bit and snow just used for his defense, line up could look like:
C Big Z
PF Big Ben
SF Lebron
SG Wally world
PG West[/quote]

Any team starting Wally Scerbiak is destined to fall flat on its face :lol:

I don't get why anyone is blowing their wad over this trade for Cleveland. This is basically the Cavs going, "Shit, we didn't get Bibby and we didn't get Kidd... um... better do something to appease LeBron!" So what did they do? Added a player who has never been good, lost wherever he's went in Wally, and added a guy that's over the hill and without motivation in Ben.

Let's face it, this was an all around dumb deal for the Cavs. That cheap piece of shit Dan Gilbert isn't going to pay to add anything else to this team in the off-season, so guess what Cavs' fans? This is your team for the next two years!

You've got Ben Wallace and his over-inflated contract (Detroit thanks you Chicago) for the next 2 years. You've got Szczerbiak and his ridiculous $12 million a year salary, so basically they traded shit for shit there by getting rid of under-achieving Larry Hughes. I do like Delonte West, but it'll be interesting to see how he makes the transition to actually playing for a decent team. Joe Smith for Marshall is irrelevant, as you're just swapping old men.

Cleveland could've probably got more for Hughes and Gooden, but instead jumped at something because they felt they "had to make a deal now!" This was an impulse deal, it's like when I buy games on clearance because they're $3. Then I get home and say why the fuck did I buy Gallerians? I'll never play it. Same thing here.

The reality here is there's no way Cleveland is catching Detroit for the Central division, so they're likely to finish in 4th or 5th. Meaning they'll play Boston in the second round, meaning they'll be done. Assuming they can even beat Toronto, who has a pretty good team in their own right.

Meanwhile Chicago continues to make fickle moves, although they rid themselves of Ben Wallace's contract, they inherit Larry Hughes' contract. A move that only makes sense if the team doesn't believe they can re-sign Deng and Gordon this off-season. Furthermore, the acquisition of Gooden makes little sense with Noah and Thomas already on the team, but I suppose it was worth it shed Wallace. The Joe Smith part makes little sense, but just further demonstrates how inconsistant Chicago is, moving away another player they basically just got. I have a feeling this is fall-out from not getting KG, Pau or KG. Gotta make a move!

The only team that really got a great deal was ironically Seattle. They rid themselves of Wally, and add more expiring contracts. Donyell Marshall is really irrelevant at this point. Losing Delonte isn't good, but something had to be moved to ditch Wally. The expiring contracts though should help them be a player in the free agent market, whenever they're able to move to Oklahoma City. As we all know they probably won't sign anyone of relevance until they've moved.

In fact Seattle's other move with Kurt Thomas was genius as well. Not only did they hornswoggle Phoenix into giving them two first round draft picks just to take on Thomas' contract, but now they've got another pick from San Antonio in trading him away. So Thomas goes from Phoenix, to one of their biggest play-off rivals, while the Suns lose first rounders in the process. Bet you feel good about that one Steve Kerr!

The Sonics are stock-pilling picks and cap space, plus they've got a young phenom in Durant, and another potentially good player in Green. Too bad Seattle fans won't reap the benefits. Oh well, off to Oklahoma the Sonics go.

bread's done
Back