The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chacrana']I think it's rated T.[/quote]
Yeah, for mild lyrics. Doesn't mean there's really anything that would be that objectionable for parents to keep their kids from playing, besides their ability to handle the controller.

Gametrailers has a video up that confirms two new songs:

Megadeth - Hangar 18 :drool:
Aerosmith - Last Child

From here go to the Staying on Track video to see confirmation(no video of the songs being played though :whistle2:()

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Gametrailers has a video up that confirms two new songs:

Aerosmith - Last Child

From here go to the Staying on Track video to see confirmation(no video of the songs being played though :whistle2:()[/quote]
Nice. Updated the OP with the new additions and a new rumor, Monkey Wrench by The Foo Fighters.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Gametrailers has a video up that confirms two new songs:

Aerosmith - Last Child

From here go to the Staying on Track video to see confirmation(no video of the songs being played though :whistle2:()[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I was just listening to Rust in Peace last night and thinking how sweet it would be to play Lucretia. Hangar 18 is cool, too, though.

Regarding Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida, I don't think there's any way that could be the long song alluded to, at least in the version I have. It goes over 6 minutes without a single guitar (from about 6:30 to past 12:30), and then even after that it's just guitar noise for awhile, not really playing. Maybe they could include a hugely modified version, but I kind of doubt it.

More Megadeth!! Yesssss

"Hanger 18" is solid. I still feel like I'm the only one in the world who wanted "A Tout Le Monde" for GH 2 :)

I hope that Foo Fighters rumors turns out to be true, that song would be fun.

[quote name='Backlash']Regarding Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida, I don't think there's any way that could be the long song alluded to, at least in the version I have. It goes over 6 minutes without a single guitar (from about 6:30 to past 12:30), and then even after that it's just guitar noise for awhile, not really playing. Maybe they could include a hugely modified version, but I kind of doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Mm-hmm. My thoughts exactly.

I'm just hoping the song they're alluding to isn't some fucking Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/Yngwie Malmsteen fucking hesher bullshit.

I'm hoping they unleash more rockabilly/psychobilly before release. They added a "psychobilly" character, so they should have more than just one Reverend tune. I'm hoping for something lesser known, like Demented Are Go, but suspect we'll see something like Nekromantix or (more likely) Social Distortion. Granted, I really really like SD, but they're musically far too simple to think of as translating into fun in this game.

So, I just had a new experience with GH1 that I felt like relating, and I don't feel like necroposting the old thread.

I was playing and usually I play pretty competitively. Save the star power until the super long thread of double notes, spam the whammy hell out of long star notes, etc etc. I played my last song of the night and decided to just fuck around. I played Unsung Expert, which I have been practicing over and over as I keep hearing rumors of a GH1 tourney happening soon. But, instead of going competitive hardcore on it, I started headbanging. And not looking at the screen, just playing by ear. I still whipped the crap out of it (lost about 70k points, but still 5 star), but it kinda, like, transcended just me playing alone in my living room at 2 in the morning. It was so much more fun than my typical routine.

I'm tired and light headed, and I have never had more fun with this thing than I just did. It was awesome.

This is the same exact kind of reaction when Activision bought RedOctane. Don't worry.

[quote name='Big Daddy, a Harmonix Guitar Hero Dev from the GH forums'] Harmonix is joining MTV, but this is a good thing. They put talent first, and aren't screwing up a company that works well. The staff is unchanged, we're not moving, we're not changing our product development plans.

We will continue to work on Guitar Hero, but now have the marketing might of MTV to help us achieve our initial goal: to allow everyone to experience the joy a musician feels performing music. [/quote]

They aren't changing a thing at Harmonix, they're just getting more marketing and a cut of ze moneys. Don't panic.

Just noticed this thread. Two comments:

A) fuck yeah @ "Message In A Bottle" by The Police on GH2. They just got a sale out of me just for that song. :D

B) Where is Pink Floyd god damn it. I want to hammer it out to "Comfortably Numb" god damn it.

[quote name='Logain8955']This is the same exact kind of reaction when Activision bought RedOctane. Don't worry.

They aren't changing a thing at Harmonix, they're just getting more marketing and a cut of ze moneys. Don't panic.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't MTV involved in the original? I seem to recall their logo displayed on the screen as the game was starting up.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wasn't MTV involved in the original? I seem to recall their logo displayed on the screen as the game was starting up.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

[quote name='mykevermin']Mm-hmm. My thoughts exactly.

I'm just hoping the song they're alluding to isn't some fucking Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/Yngwie Malmsteen fucking hesher bullshit.[/quote]
Apparently, the song they were alluding was the Megadeth song posted earlier. That's what Marcus Henderson was saying during the EGM Live podcast released today.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Apparently, the song they were alluding was the Megadeth song posted earlier. That's what Marcus Henderson was saying during the EGM Live podcast released today.[/QUOTE]

Hangar 18? That doesn't have 9 solos in it, though.

Activision announced today that GH 2 will also be for 360.

Additionally, RedOctane® announced today that Guitar Hero II™ will be rocking the Xbox 360™. Guitar Hero II is the follow-up to 2005’s award-winning release, Guitar Hero, which rocked the game industry and garnered a stack of awards including: “Best Offline Multiplayer Game 2005” and “Music Game of the Year 2005” from IGN.com, “Best Soundtrack 2005” at the Spike TV Videogames Awards and five D.I.C.E. awards, including Outstanding Innovation in Gaming and Family Game of the Year.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']In that same podcast, Henderson said he could htink of at least two or three other songs that were HARDER than Hangar 18.

Oi.[/QUOTE]

Good lord..

Revealed in radiOPM, there's a new song included in the game, Kansas - Carry on my Wayward Son, along with confirmation that co-op is indeed inlcuded in the demo. Great news as the issue should be arriving at doorstops any day now and will be at newstands on October 10.

Youtube preview of the song:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMVLkGq9Lg[/media]

Also, I updated the OP and there's a new rumor, something about a Red Hot Chili Pepper song being included. That's great news if it's true, but which song would be a good fit?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Also, I updated the OP and there's a new rumor, something about a Red Hot Chili Pepper song being included. That's great news if it's true, but which song would be a good fit?[/QUOTE]

I have "Knock Me Down" stuck in my head, but I imagine "Under the Bridge" would be more fun to play.

[quote name='mykevermin']I have "Knock Me Down" stuck in my head, but I imagine "Under the Bridge" would be more fun to play.[/quote]
What about "Give It Away"? Just from listening to it closely, it seems like a good fit. Another I saw as a potential good fit was "Otherside" with maybe "Get on Top" as a dark horse.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What about "Give It Away"? Just from listening to it closely, it seems like a good fit. Another I saw as a potential good fit was "Otherside" with maybe "Get on Top" as a dark horse.[/QUOTE]

Dunno. My knowledge of the RHCP dies off right after "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," though their newest video was pretty fun to watch.

I could see "Give it Away." That bassline would be fun as hell to play on expert.

Carry On My Wayward Son is gonna be awesome. My first CD ever was a greatest hits of Kansas CD, and I played the everliving crap out of this song :D I can not freaking wait for this game.

Kansas is amazing news. This is going to be AWESOME.

As for the demo, it'll be on store shelves for sure Oct. 10th, but any chance we'll see it sooner? I'm tired of waiting.

[quote name='evanft']Jesus Christ...I want to have sex with myself right now.[/QUOTE]

Are you Kansas? Because if so, I want to have sex with you, too.

Got some more songs to add along with the winners of the Be A Guitar Hero contest, courtesy of MTV's G-Hole

Not exactly sure how accurate I'll be with the bands for each song since no band names were given in the video, but from what I can guess/find:

Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Woman - Wolfmother
Stop - Jane's Addiction or Jimi Hendrix(Really could be either one)
Search and Destroy - Iggy and the Stooges or Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mother - Danzig(or Pink Floyd, but I doubt it)
Girlfriend - The Darkness or Matthew Sweet
Killing In The Name Of - Rage Against The Machine
Rock This Town - Stray Cats
Freya - The Sword?
Bad Reputation - Thin Lizzy or Joan Jett
Cherry Pie - Warrant(Says "not in yet" next to the title video, so may not be in final game)

And the winners of the Be A Guitar Hero competition:

The Last Vegas with their song Raw Dog

One of the tracks during the MTV video sounds like the beat/bassline from RHCP "Suck My Kiss."

Awesome on Stray Cats - still needs more rockabilly, though. Two songs!?!?!

Great additions, though I really have to admit I hope "Bad Reputation" is the Joan Jett song, and not Thin Lizzy.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Great additions, though I really have to admit I hope "Bad Reputation" is the Joan Jett song, and not Thin Lizzy.[/QUOTE]

That's a good possibility too(actually probably the more likely choice), I'm just more of a Thin Lizzy fan and that was what came to mind first. As long as it's not the Damn Yankees song though, it's all cool :cool:

[quote name='Buster Rod G']That's a good possibility too(actually probably the more likely choice), I'm just more of a Thin Lizzy fan and that was what came to mind first. As long as it's not the Damn Yankees song though, it's all cool :cool:[/QUOTE]

I dunno - the Thin Lizzy song is certainly no "Guitar Slacker." Is it a moderately well-known hit of theirs? If not, that eliminates that as a choice; if it is, it sure could be. I wouldn't mind Phil Lynett and company, but still have a preference for Joan Jett.

[quote name='mykevermin']I dunno - the Thin Lizzy song is certainly no "Guitar Slacker." Is it a moderately well-known hit of theirs? If not, that eliminates that as a choice; if it is, it sure could be. I wouldn't mind Phil Lynett and company, but still have a preference for Joan Jett.[/QUOTE]

It is on their Best of album, so I'd guess it is somewhat known. I kinda doubt there are gonna be nearly as many people familiar with it though as the Joan Jett song, though. I guess we'll see soon enough which it is, either one will make a great addition to the song list

Okay, looking around some more, I'm fairly confident that this is the right "Girlfriend", not the song by the Darkness:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXsW7sY1tY[/media]

Sounds like it'd fit much better in GH than the Darkness song

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back