The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Z-Saber']Holy CRAP! You have to play this on Coop!

The bass parts are so much fun! The "YYZ" bass line is ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

I wonder which bassline will be harder-- YYZ or John the Fisherman

Picked up the demo today at CVS. So good, so good...

I still can't pass YYZ on expert though. I'm going to have to work on that one.

FINALLY found it. Strange, I can do YYZ on Expert no problem, but I haven't been able to pass Strutter yet. *shrugs* Still, YYZ is the best song on the demo.

I'm calling it: GH2 is 2006 GotY.

I spent a lot of time at work yesterday playing the demo on ps2. YYZ, Shout at the Devil, You Really Got Me, and Strutter are all fucking awesome when you play the on expert. I can't wait for the full version

[quote name='pete5883']YYZ on Expert I may never beat.[/quote]Totally understandable. To me, it's right up there with some of the harder GH songs.

Really? I did it on my first try, and I can't beat the last three songs in GH.

If you REALLY want a challenge, try beating YYZ on Expert with a friend. That bass is crazy!

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Really? I did it on my first try, and I can't beat the last three songs in GH.

If you REALLY want a challenge, try beating YYZ on Expert with a friend. That bass is crazy![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried YYZ on expert and the bass is definitely more difficult than the lead. Well, partially because I'd gotten used to playing solo. Got through it without too much of a problem, but it was damn fun.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, I tried YYZ on expert and the bass is definitely more difficult than the lead. Well, partially because I'd gotten used to playing solo. Got through it without too much of a problem, but it was damn fun.[/quote]Ditto on all accounts.

I'm happy I finally have the demo. I'll be playing these songs a whole lot until the final version comes out.

I really like playing "Shout at the Devil" and the Co-Op is awesome. I played "YYZ" with a buddy over the weekend. I agree with all who say the bass part is just as if not more difficult than the lead guitar.

Might I add, I also like that the characters have different designs/pictures on their respective fretboards. Go Judy Nails.

IGN has the story up now:

1. Opening Licks
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Danzig - Mother
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Wolfmother - Woman
Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers
Kiss - Strutter
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Police - Message in a Bottle
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night
Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Primus - John the Fisherman
Sword - Freya
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
Aerosmtih - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs
Heart - Crazy on You
Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Allman Brothers - Jessica
Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork
Anthrax - Madhouse
Living End - Carry Me Home
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout
Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

fuck yes! Bad Reputation is the Thin Lizzy version!

No bonus tracks revealed yet, but at least we finally know the whole main tracklist

Awesome! Glad to see Matthew Sweet instead of The Darkness, but sad to see Thin Lizzy rather than Joan Jett (but not too sad). I could also wish for a better song from Anthrax, but at least we're getting some Anthrax!

holy fuck. Suicidal Tendencies is on GH 2?

:) best news ever.

also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can only play the bass parts in Co-Op right?

[quote name='mykevermin']Institutionalized? NICE!

EDIT: On the demo, how do you play the bass line? I can't find a menu allowing me to select it.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, I did NOT see that coming. THANK YOU HARMONIX!

The bonus tracks are supposed to be from larger bands this time around, so perhaps my hopes for Maiden, Dragonforce, Tool, Europe's The Final Countdown will be satisfied.

EDIT: According to an recent interview with people working on the game, there won't be 55, but 64 total tracks. That means that there are still 22 tracks yet to be revealed (Drist and Dirty Vegas have already been revealed as bonus tracks). Holy fucking shit.

[quote name='evanft']The bonus tracks are supposed to be from larger bands this time around, so perhaps my hopes for Maiden, Dragonforce, Tool, Europe's The Final Countdown will be satisfied.

EDIT: According to an recent interview with people working on the game, there won't be 55, but 64 total tracks. That means that there are still 22 tracks yet to be revealed (Drist and Dirty Vegas have already been revealed as bonus tracks). Holy fucking shit.[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't see them putting Maiden in as a "bonus track"...and it makes me sad. I'm not a huge Suicidal Tendencies fan either, so...eh.

Oh well, I can hope for Maiden to be in with Master of Puppets in GH3, I guess.

Edit: Wow, 22 more? Sweet!

I find it hard to believe that they would have a hard time getting Maiden in the game. I mean, their music has been in other games, and the guys in Iron Maiden have always come off as really down-to-earth guys that put their fans first.

We certainly know that it wouldn't be because Harmonix didn't try. Marcus Henderson is on one of the song committees and he's a huge Iron Maiden fan.

EDIT: Nevermind

Something about the gameplay on the demo seems a bit tighter to me. The guitar seems more responsive, and, as someone pointed out, the hammerons/pulloffs seem a touch easier.

Strutter is godDAMN fun to play.

[quote name='asianxcore']holy fuck. Suicidal Tendencies is on GH 2?

:) best news ever.

also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can only play the bass parts in Co-Op right?[/quote]
Yes, you play lead guitar in the singleplayer and in co-op, one player takes the lead guitar while the other takes the bass or rhythm guitar.

I have to say I was disappointed when I saw the song Search and Destroy wasn't the Metallica song. :whistle2:( At least we still have plenty of bands to look forward to seeing in the sequel when it comes next year.

[quote name='evanft']The bonus tracks are supposed to be from larger bands this time around, so perhaps my hopes for Maiden, Dragonforce, Tool, Europe's The Final Countdown will be satisfied.

EDIT: According to an recent interview with people working on the game, there won't be 55, but 64 total tracks. That means that there are still 22 tracks yet to be revealed (Drist and Dirty Vegas have already been revealed as bonus tracks). Holy fucking shit.[/QUOTE]

Oh lord please let there be a Tool song. 46&2 would be ridiculously amazing

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yes, you play lead guitar in the singleplayer and in co-op, one player takes the lead guitar while the other takes the bass or rhythm guitar.

I have to say I was disappointed when I saw the song Search and Destroy wasn't the Metallica song. :whistle2:( At least we still have plenty of bands to look forward to seeing in the sequel when it comes next year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, anything off of Kill 'em All would have been amazing. Ah, well...like you said, there's always GH3.

[quote name='trunksx34']Oh lord please let there be a Tool song. 46&2 would be ridiculously amazing[/QUOTE]

Go away.

[quote name='mykevermin']

EDIT: On the demo, how do you play the bass line? I can't find a menu allowing me to select it.[/QUOTE]

Bass is only available in the co-op mode, and only for the second player. However, on Strutter, instead of it being 1P Lead / 2P Bass, it'll be 1P Rhythm / 2P Lead.

In other news, here's a video of the first 21% of Misirlou on Expert. And someguy getting his ass handed to him by the song.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarhero2/video_player.html?id=d3ZnxDD75bgMvjbZ

[quote name='Logain8955']Bass is only available in the co-op mode, and only for the second player. However, on Strutter, instead of it being 1P Lead / 2P Bass, it'll be 1P Rhythm / 2P Lead.http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarhero2/video_player.html?id=d3ZnxDD75bgMvjbZ[/quote]So wait, you can't pick your part on something like Quick Play? I know they said you can't make a bass playing Career save or anything, but what about singleplayer bass and rhythm parts? I thought it had it?

[quote name='Logain8955']Bass is only available in the co-op mode, and only for the second player. However, on Strutter, instead of it being 1P Lead / 2P Bass, it'll be 1P Rhythm / 2P Lead.[/QUOTE]

Oh boo. I s'pose this can't be done w/ 1 Guitar and 1 controller, then.

I can't believe they added a song by The Sword, that's awesome! Wish it was "Iron Swan" instead of "Freya" but still, sweet news!

Where's Trivium? I think they should be in the running for Guitar Hero 3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
I have to say I was disappointed when I saw the song Search and Destroy wasn't the Metallica song. :whistle2:( At least we still have plenty of bands to look forward to seeing in the sequel when it comes next year.[/QUOTE]

Metallica's song is called "Seek and Destroy" not "Search and Destroy"

Crap, I only have one guitar and I don't really have anyone else to play with. I better be able to play the bass parts, at least in Quick Play mode.

[quote name='evanft']I find it hard to believe that they would have a hard time getting Maiden in the game. I mean, their music has been in other games, and the guys in Iron Maiden have always come off as really down-to-earth guys that put their fans first.

We certainly know that it wouldn't be because Harmonix didn't try. Marcus Henderson is on one of the song committees and he's a huge Iron Maiden fan.

EDIT: Nevermind[/QUOTE]

In an interview with they creators they basically said that of course they thought of all the obvious big bands, and that if it's not in the game, it's because they weren't able to get the rights. They didn't mention anyone specifically, but you gotta think it includes AC/DC, Zep, Maiden, Metallica, etc.

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']Where's Trivium? I think they should be in the running for Guitar Hero 3.[/quote]

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs[/MEDIA]

Trivium sucks.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say, but Dragonforce has been confirmed to NOT be in the game: Read the post by Grendel Khan, he's verified as a Harmonix employee.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So wait, you can't pick your part on something like Quick Play? I know they said you can't make a bass playing Career save or anything, but what about singleplayer bass and rhythm parts? I thought it had it?[/QUOTE]

As far as the Demo is concerned, no. While it might be possible in full retail, no one's sure yet.

[quote name='Backlash']Metallica's song is called "Seek and Destroy" not "Search and Destroy"[/quote]
...fuck. #-o You're right. No wonder I couldn't find the song anywhere. Thanks for the correction.

[quote name='Backlash']Metallica's song is called "Seek and Destroy" not "Search and Destroy"[/QUOTE]

Heh...whoops. Can't believe I did that.

Anyway, I'll pose a question to you all: how would you feel if a "major" song made it into the bonus tracks, but as a cover another indy band did?

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Anyway, I'll pose a question to you all: how would you feel if a "major" song made it into the bonus tracks, but as a cover another indy band did?[/QUOTE]

I don't see it happening, as it doesn't circumvent the licensing issues. In the EGM cover story last month, they discussed what a pain in the ass David Lee Roth was in trying to license a Van Halen tune (they point out that Van Hagar doesn't exist in their world). So, they licensed "You Really Got Me" (by the Kinks?) and did it in the Van Halen way.

Van Halen gets no dolla. The Kinks do. That's why I don't think you'll see a Metallica tune, or something similar.

Looks like there isn't going to be any Tool either :whistle2:(

From the Guitar Hero forums:

[quote name='John Tam']
Maiden was mostly confirmed - BMG blocked at the end. We talked to Tool early on and thought they were a slam dunk. They disappeared on us but ended up on tour. AFK

We didn't hold songs. Industrial spies broke in and stole pieces of the set list in order to appease rabid fans of the game. In the end the biggest songs got leaked too early and AGAINST DESIGN. Early on at E3 those were the only songs that we had confirmed at the time and we had to show something.[/QUOTE]

It sucks to see that Maiden would have been in too if it weren't for BMG :bomb:

fuck you, BMG

We didn't hold songs. Industrial spies broke in and stole pieces of the set list in order to appease rabid fans of the game. In the end the biggest songs got leaked too early and AGAINST DESIGN. Early on at E3 those were the only songs that we had confirmed at the time and we had to show something.

I have no idea what this paragraph means.

[quote name='pete5883']I have no idea what this paragraph means.[/QUOTE]

People on the GH forums were expressing disappointment that the last two songs revealed were not huge name bands, and accused RO and Harmonix of tantalizing them with rumors of Maiden and Tool and then letting them down. Which is totally unfair and unappreciative of the awesome song list that was included in GH2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back