The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Buster Rod G']Okay, looking around some more, I'm fairly confident that this is the right "Girlfriend", not the song by the Darkness:[/QUOTE]

fucking Matthew Sweet. Yech.

Looks like the coverup has begun; the video has been edited to hide the tracks that were revealed

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']HOLY fuckING SHIT DANZIG AND THE STOOGES *DIES*

Ahem.[/QUOTE]

Don't get too excited about The Stooges just yet, it looks like that could end up being the Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of Search and Destroy that's featured

[quote name='mik']![/QUOTE]

I thought about adding that on, but they didn't have an exclamation point in the track listing in the video and since we're not sure if it's Jane's Addiction or Hendrix, I left it off

[quote name='mykevermin']fucking Matthew Sweet. Yech.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'll take it over The Darkness song

[quote name='Chacrana']Well is the November issue out yet?[/QUOTE]

I was just at my local super market getting some milk and they had the November OPMs already out. The GH2 demo is in there. I picked it up and then I realized that it was $10. fuck that. I'll just wait and hope that Playstation Underground sends me one in the mail.

[quote name='lebowsky']I was just at my local super market getting some milk and they had the November OPMs already out. The GH2 demo is in there. I picked it up and then I realized that it was $10. fuck that. I'll just wait and hope that Playstation Underground sends me one in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Not so bad since I've got 2 roommates splitting the cost with me. Today, the hunt begins!

[quote name='lebowsky']I was just at my local super market getting some milk and they had the November OPMs already out. The GH2 demo is in there. I picked it up and then I realized that it was $10. fuck that. I'll just wait and hope that Playstation Underground sends me one in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I'm gonna git' me a copy as soon as I possibly can. Just for Strutter. So fucking awesome.

[quote name='lebowsky']The GH2 demo is in there. I picked it up and then I realized that it was $10. fuck that. I'll just wait and hope that Playstation Underground sends me one in the mail.[/QUOTE]

I hate you.

Demo is wonderful. By the way, if you don't like the $10 price tag, and you have a Costco card, go there. $6.99 and worth every penny.

You Really Got Me isn't a "proper" VH song, but pretending I'm Eddie Van Halen is a gas no matter what.

YYZ on anything above medium makes my rectum bleed.

[quote name='Strell']Have they announced Sweet Home Alabama yet?

'Cuz I'd sure like to play that after Freebirding it up.

:p[/quote]
Doubt it. The GH team is against giving any one band more than one song in the game.

[quote name='lebowsky']I was just at my local super market getting some milk and they had the November OPMs already out. The GH2 demo is in there. I picked it up and then I realized that it was $10. fuck that. I'll just wait and hope that Playstation Underground sends me one in the mail.[/quote]
If you're that against paying to play GHII, why not just take it out of the mag? I don't think PU's likely to send out demos, especially if they send them to people that don't have the guitar controller.
----------
I also got my copy of OPM in the mail today. I'll be enjoying that for the rest of the night. :D

[quote name='lebowsky']I was just at my local super market getting some milk and they had the November OPMs already out. The GH2 demo is in there. I picked it up and then I realized that it was $10. fuck that. I'll just wait and hope that Playstation Underground sends me one in the mail.[/quote]
If you're that against paying to play GHII, why not just take it out of the mag? I don't think PU's likely to send out demos, especially if they send them to people that don't have the guitar controller.

Great demo, but it's very easy. Cleared 'em all on Expert on the first time through. YYZ is so much fun to play it's almost criminal. Anyway, back to GHII.

just looked at the song list for the first time...

HOLY fuckING SHIT.

that's just nuts. there's almost too much awesome.

I just got the demo today, too. Only paid $5 for it since I had a gift certificate for the book store I got it from. I've only been able to beat Shout at the Devil and You Really Got Me on hard so far, but I'm slowly getting further on YYZ(which is proving to be too damn fun even if I can't beat it) and Strutter(I just can't seem to get the beginning down). Now I really want the full game just for the practice mode, which will hopefully help me move on from hard onto expert

After playing the demo all night, I'm starting to get a little worried. The reason GH was so awesome is because I started at medium and worked my way up to expert. It took a few months, but I got a great sense of accomplishment. I'm hoping GHII isn't too easy, as I can pass pretty much anything on expert without much effort. 55 songs is a lot, but will it be enough?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']After playing the demo all night, I'm starting to get a little worried. The reason GH was so awesome is because I started at medium and worked my way up to expert. It took a few months, but I got a great sense of accomplishment. I'm hoping GHII isn't too easy, as I can pass pretty much anything on expert without much effort. 55 songs is a lot, but will it be enough?[/quote]
The thing is, these songs aren't in sets that increase by difficulty like the Career mode in GH, so taking these four as an example of how the final 50 will be is just jumping the gun. If this is to be believed, those are the earlier/easier songs that the game has to offer, though that list just misses several songs like Freebird and YYZ.

As for you being able to beat them easily on expert, screw you. :bomb: I can't even get past them on hard, though it's not like I could get past the first set on the original either. Damn that orange button and the fast reflexes needed to beat them. Damn them to hell. It's too bad that they couldn't get the E3 demo, which had Primus, KISS, Sabbath, Van Halen, Drist, Rush, and a few others along with co-op. More is better, but something is better than nothing at all.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Doubt it. The GH team is against giving any one band more than one song in the game.
[/QUOTE]

That's a fine line with Iron Man and Bark at the Moon, though.

[quote name='Backlash']That's a fine line with Iron Man and Bark at the Moon, though.[/QUOTE]

Two different bands. I don't see the problem there.

Here's my dilemma. My brother is going to give me his PS2. Pretty much the only reason I wanted it was to play Guitar Hero. Now that they've announced it for the wii, which is a console I'm definitely going to get, do I still buy it for the PS2? I've waited this long, why not wait later? I really don't want to invest in the game for the PS2, then turn around and buy another guitar for the wii. I'd much rather have two guitars that work on one system. What should I do?

[quote name='munch']Two different bands. I don't see the problem there.

Here's my dilemma. My brother is going to give me his PS2. Pretty much the only reason I wanted it was to play Guitar Hero. Now that they've announced it for the wii, which is a console I'm definitely going to get, do I still buy it for the PS2? I've waited this long, why not wait later? I really don't want to invest in the game for the PS2, then turn around and buy another guitar for the wii. I'd much rather have two guitars that work on one system. What should I do?[/QUOTE]

Well, you have no idea when a Wii version is even coming out, which makes waiting kinda dumb... since it could be a whole year. Second, there's no guarantee that GH1 will be out on the Wii so at least you know you'll be able to play that with the PS2.

[quote name='munch']Two different bands. I don't see the problem there.
[/QUOTE]

Different bands, same artist is all I'm saying. Personally I was happy about it :) I'm also glad to see another Megadeth song in the sequel.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you're that against paying to play GHII, why not just take it out of the mag? I don't think PU's likely to send out demos, especially if they send them to people that don't have the guitar controller.
----------
I also got my copy of OPM in the mail today. I'll be enjoying that for the rest of the night. :D[/QUOTE]

Well I broke down and bought it ;) I have been playing GH1 on hard for the past few weeks so all of the songs on medium are WAY too easy. I just played and beat YYZ on hard. That is the best song on the demo, IMO.

I really don't like Shout at the Devil at all.

EDIT: BTW, HOPOs really work now. They work well.

[quote name='lebowsky']EDIT: BTW, HOPOs really work now. They work well.[/QUOTE]

I managed to beat Hard and most of Expert on GH1 without learning how to do them :( I basically just saved up all my star power for the solos and only hit like every 8th note or so, which isn't too satisfying.

I am hoping that I can use GH2's practice mode to learn them this go-round.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So wait, there's a demo out? Will I be able to find it just about anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Seems that way. A lot of people have the demo now so I think that pretty much every place should have it.

Anyway, I'm checkin' Borders and B&N when I get home because I need to rokk out.

[quote name='Chacrana']Seems that way. A lot of people have the demo now so I think that pretty much every place should have it.

Anyway, I'm checkin' Borders and B&N when I get home because I need to rokk out.[/quote]After I get out of my next class, I'm heading straight to... well, crap. I don't where to head straight to since I haven't bought a magazine in many years.

Actually, I remeber the last one I bought. It was the official Xbox 'zine that had the DOA 3 bonus pack.

[quote name='Backlash']I managed to beat Hard and most of Expert on GH1 without learning how to do them :( I basically just saved up all my star power for the solos and only hit like every 8th note or so, which isn't too satisfying.

I am hoping that I can use GH2's practice mode to learn them this go-round.[/QUOTE]

I haven't made the leap to Expert yet (fuck you Cowboys from Hell!) but I could never get HOPOs to register for crap. From what I have read, strumming a note in GH1 is fairly lenient on the timing. If you are a little early or late, it will still count. HOPOs, OTOH, are extremely sensitive to the point that you almost have to hit them with perfect timing.

From what I have seen with the demo, and reading other impressions, the HOPOs work just like strumming the notes now. You can be a little bit off and still nail them.

BTW, the demo works with HDLoader if you happen to use that. Makes it nice to not have to put the demo disc in to play it.

has anyone in the San Fernando Valley, CA area been able to find this? I've been to quite a few places (frys, barnes and noble, supermarkets) and every place has had the older issue on the stands

edit: Nevermind, found it at a supermarket

[quote name='lebowsky']BTW, the demo works with HDLoader if you happen to use that. Makes it nice to not have to put the demo disc in to play it.[/quote]I'm glad to hear it. Now, here's to hoping I can find it!

[quote name='mik']Yes. But you need two guitars. It won't play with a controller.[/QUOTE]

Nah, that's fine. My friend's got a guitar so I'm definitely gonna get a lot of milage outta this demo.

[quote name='mik']Yes. But you need two guitars. It won't play with a controller.[/quote]Oh, it does have coop? I'll have to try that out tonight! I didn't have a second controller in, so perhaps that's why the option was dim.

Anyway, HOLY CRAP! I am so looking forward to this game!

"Shout at the Devil" is mostly easily, reminiscint of songs in the higher parts of the original GH playlist.
"You Really Got Me" is quite a bit more difficult, with a ridiculous Van Halen solo, and very fun.
"Strutter" is mostly easily, with just a few tricky chords here and there. Three-finger chords are going to be scary on tougher songs.
"YYZ" is pretty fun, but my gosh, it's insane. I can get through it without any trouble, but I certainly can't play more than a few notes without screwing up. I'm hoping for more songs like this. More challenge = more fun.

And, for the two of you who actually like playing this with a PS2 controller, you can. All you have to do is pause in the middle of a song and switch it out. It plays just like it did on GH.

Wow... WOW. I got the demo from the grocery store (Borders didn't have it) and it's fucking incredible. The YYZ song is pretty fucking awesome and surprisingly challenging. I 5-stared You Really Got Me and Shout at the Devil on my first try but they're extremely fun to play even though they're not especially difficult. These songs are so much more interesting than those in the first game.

Shout at the Devil's my favorite song in this demo, if not just because I've already played the other songs in the E3 demo. It's too bad that they couldn't get the E3 demo to put on the disc.

[quote name='sanjuro']Sorry for the stupid question, but what happened to the Kansas song that was supposed to be on the demo?[/QUOTE]

It's... not there.

[quote name='mik']Yes. But you need two guitars. It won't play with a controller.[/QUOTE]

It's looking like it also won't work with the TAC Flying V or any other 3rd party guitar controller, only Red Octane's SGs. It's still not entirely clear if that's just for the demo or the full game too, but it might be wise, if you were looking at getting one, to hold off until the game comes out and it's known for sure to work or not.

[quote name='sanjuro']Sorry for the stupid question, but what happened to the Kansas song that was supposed to be on the demo?[/QUOTE]

It never was going to be part of the demo, it just was announced at the same time that they announced co-op was going to be part of the demo so it sounded like it was part of it.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']It's looking like it also won't work with the TAC Flying V or any other 3rd party guitar controller, only Red Octane's SGs. It's still not entirely clear if that's just for the demo or the full game too, but it might be wise, if you were looking at getting one, to hold off until the game comes out and it's known for sure to work or not.[/quote]
I think I want the red SG anyway, but that's good to know.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Holy CRAP! You have to play this on Coop!

The bass parts are so much fun! The "YYZ" bass line is ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

But of course.

3.jpg

Geddy Lee! Best bass player ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back