The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome video. He really did somehow make that controller AND it worked, or at least it fooled me into thinking it. I mean, of course he wasn't playing both parts simultaneously, but he did play the back and forth stuff.

its probaly already been said, but if you get the opm out know, you can play 4 songs from gh2, i have been on them all day, also i preordered from bestbuy and got a free tshirt

There is news on a demo though. Stores are now getting in an extended 10 song demo to play on their kiosks. Song list includes Psychobilly Freakout, Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart, War Pigs, Who Was In My Room Last Night, and John the Fisherman, the 4 songs from OPM and another song that I'm unsure on. It's most commonly spotted at Best Buy, but EB and their ilk should have it too.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Anyone have a picture of the t-shirt?

Here, I'll trade you, check out this awesome GH-related picture:

http://www.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/10/CastleRocksmire.jpg

I love that.[/QUOTE]

Here's what the front of the shirt looks like:
f_061001_guitarhero_02.jpg

The back is just a list of all the venues in the game. It's not all that impressive and I don't really think it's worth preordering unless you were gonna buy it from Best Buy anyway. I'd much rather have a t-shirt with that pic you posted on it instead :)

I just got back from tracking down the extended demo. They had it at my local EB, and I got a good hour or so on it. The mystery song was Madhouse. My impressions:

The game is harder than GH1, but has a very nice ramp up. 2nd tier songs (War Pigs) are a bit harder than GH1 tier 2, but last tier songs (Psychobilly Freakout) are godly.

Expert play uses a LOT more chords. Expect to have to do very quick chord switches.

HOPOs work a lot nicer than GH1 and even the GH2 OPM demo. They're easier to pull off and feel better.

The demo has some very very bad slowdown issues. It seemed to dump down to 15ish frames at one point during Madhouse. Hopefully it'll be fixed, or that the EB ps2 was junky.

Who was in my room last night: Very fast, but kind of repetitive. Kind of like how Unsung was a jump into the faster stuff in GH1, this song'll probably be the same. My favorite from the demo.

John the Fisherman: Easyish song, really ecletic.

Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart: Holy crap three-chords. The song has far more 3's than the rest of them, giving it a very hectic feel the first time through. The song is awesome.

Warpigs: The beginning is slow and a bit boring, but it tricks you out once you hit the solos.

Madhouse: Fast song with a lot of two-chords. Long as hell too.

Psychobilly Freakout: Captain Asskicker. This song puts Misirlou to shame. It's about 3/4 speed of Mis, but has tons of chord changes, and single notes within the chord combos. I played it like 6 times and could only get 25% of the way through. Next time I'm at EB, I'll take my camera and record it. Harder than CfH by far.

I'll hit up Best Buy this week and see if they have it. But the way my BB had and still has Guitar Hero setup is retarded. It's right in the front, with a couple of those stupid gamer chairs, and the screen LAGS.

On second thought, maybe I'll just try an EB.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']DETHKLOK!

fucking Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Your sig makes me wish "Eighteen" was on GHII.

I can't complain about Deathklok - that's awesome news; I'd be remiss if I didn't say I was really hoping for the Duncan Hills coffee theme. On the bright side, it's unlikely they have any other recordings as short as that one.

[quote name='Backlash']They have "Carry on Wayward Sun" in the tracklist. Hope that didn't make it into the game![/QUOTE]

It's been confirmed to be in the game for a while now. It'll be a fun song to play.

Awesome news about Dethklok.

[quote name='asianxcore']It's been confirmed to be in the game for a while now. It'll be a fun song to play.

Awesome news about Dethklok.[/QUOTE]

I think he meant the misspelling/grammar in the title.

I was really impressed with how accurate the Warrant/Nirvana tracks sounded. And, thankfully, "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" sounded fucking AWESOME.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think he meant the misspelling/grammar in the title.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. It should be "Son" not "Sun" I doubt it's wrong in the actual game, anyway.

I went one EB, one BB, and called another EB. None of them had the new demo, and the guy I called said they are expecting them before GHII ships.

Well durr.

EDIT: On a different note, quick questions. Is there a significantly different official GH controller being bundled this time, or is it basically the same thing? I already have two, and I'm only getting a third if there's a big difference.

Second, where's the best place to preorder? I saw the shirt boxes at BB, and I don't know about anything else.

I read that not only is the new one red (not a big deal) but that it feels a bit heavier and "meatier" and the whammy bar is less crappy. I think I read that on UGO? I don't remember.

Anyone else notice that Stop! is a master track? It's nice to see Primus isn't the only band to give out a master for the main tracklist

[quote name='Z-Saber']
EDIT: On a different note, quick questions. Is there a significantly different official GH controller being bundled this time, or is it basically the same thing? I already have two, and I'm only getting a third if there's a big difference.

Second, where's the best place to preorder? I saw the shirt boxes at BB, and I don't know about anything else.[/QUOTE]

From an interview with Ted Lange, associate producer from Red Octane:

Will the Guitar Hero II feature new guitar controllers?

Yes, the differences in the new controller are that it has a fresh new paint color, classic red, the frets have been slightly raised, the strum bar has been slightly tightened, and the cord has been reinforced. People, we're rocking out too hard and yanking the cord out! Not huge differences, though significant enough for the hardcore players. Also, the previous Guitar Hero SG controller will work with the game as well.

Up to you if you want to upgrade, if you already have two controllers though, it's probably not enough of a change to be worth it unless you're having some kind of problem with the ones you have.

The only other preorder bonus I've seen is from RedOctane's site, where you can get the bundle with either a t-shirt(I assume the same one BB has) or a bag for the SG

So no "game only" deals? By the way, how much is it, game only?

If my first guitar (the one that came in the bundle and is by far the most used) craps out, I'll get the new one, but so far it's taken a beating and works just as good as ever. The whammy bar is still tight, but the strum bar and fret buttons are slightly loose compared to my barely used Cherry SG controller.

Honestly, the tightened strum bar is of HUGE importance to me. The issue I had with the original guitar was that after you hit the bar, it would often flip back too far and register a second note being played even though you didn't want to do that. Annoying as hell, honestly. Hopefully that won't be an issue anymore.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So no "game only" deals? By the way, how much is it, game only?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like it. Looks like $49.99 is the MSRP, too. I haven't really seen anything lower anywhere on either the game alone or the bundle right now. Hopefully something will pop up once it comes out in two weeks.

EDIT: Looks like the full bonus tracklist is out! Apparently some Wal-Marts have already gotten the full game in and that's where confirmation of the list is coming from; they can't sell it, but they can use it for demoing!

Dethklok - Thunderhorse
Drist - Arterial Black
Every Time I Die - The New Black
Anarchy Club - Collide
Valient Thorr - Fall of Pangea
Vagiant - FTK
Breaking Wheel - One For the Road
Buckethead - Jordan
All That Remains - Six
Made In Mexico - Yes We Can
Voivod - The X-Stream
That Handsome Devil - Elephant Bones
The Acrobrats - Laugh Track
Bang Camaro -Push Push Lady Lightning
Freezepop - Less Talk More Rokk
Royal Crowns - Mr. Fixit
Shadows Fall - The Light That Blinds
Honest Bob and the Factory-To-Dealer Incentives - Soy Bomb
The Last Vegas - Raw Dog
Count Zero - Radium Eye
Brian Kahanek - Gemini
Trogdor
The Neighborhoods - Parasite
Megasus? - Red Lottery

Recognize a few of those from the first one. But Made in Mexico? That first song was trash. Hopefully this one ain't as bad.

Wait... Trogdor? Is there some band named Trogdor, or are we seriously talking about Homestar Runner Trogdor?

[quote name='Z-Saber']Recognize a few of those from the first one. But Made in Mexico? That first song was trash. Hopefully this one ain't as bad.[/QUOTE]

The new song sucks too, you can listen to it here

[quote name='Z-Saber']Second, where's the best place to preorder? I saw the shirt boxes at BB, and I don't know about anything else.[/QUOTE]

GameCrazy has some special guitar pick as a preorder bonus. Looks kinda like the Pick Of Destiny from the Tenacious D movie, from the pics.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Second, where's the best place to preorder? I saw the shirt boxes at BB, and I don't know about anything else.[/QUOTE]

GameCrazy has some special guitar pick as a preorder bonus. Looks kinda like the Pick Of Destiny from the Tenacious D movie, from the pics. Also, they charge 70 bucks instead of 80 like most other places (EB/GS)

I'm way stoked on Thunderhorse, but I don't see how playing that or (especially) Trogdor are going to work...they're so SHORT!

It's gunna be weird.

I still like that it's going to happen, though.

Holy shit, the Amazing Crowns are in this? I was talking to Zman about it a few months back, bombarding him with mp3s and telling him that they NEED to be in GHII. I wish it were one of the songs off their self-titled album, they were all just pure intensity. Mr. Fixit is just kind of mediocre.

Still, fuckin' A.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I'm way stoked on Thunderhorse, but I don't see how playing that or (especially) Trogdor are going to work...they're so SHORT!

It's gunna be weird.

I still like that it's going to happen, though.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? You can dl a full version of Thunderhorse from the AS website that is 3 minutes long.

[quote name='asianxcore']Every Time I Die
Buckethead
Voivod
Freezepop
All That Remains
Shadows Fall

Damn. I'm happy. :)[/QUOTE]

A-fucking-men to that, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back