The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
That can't be right.

SACDs aren't encoded in DTS at all, how could they have been made to play back that way?

Do you have some links?

http://www.ps3sacd.com/ -- news report from 11/10 mentions it was added. There is also a link on AVS Forums. (look at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=929208 after 11/16)

(just found this http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=58926&pid=529211&st=0&#entry529211 which predicts it'd be pulled due to how it basically bypasses copy protection... hrrrrm...)

Transcoding from one format to another isn't a particularly big task if you have the processing power to do it. It's the same thing as using TVersity to stream a Divx file to your PS3 by encoding it as an MPEG1 file. For example, the Toshiba HD-A2 HDDVD player will transcode Dolby TrueHD to DTS for output.

It's a HUGE deal for SACDs, since I don't think any other player supported transcoding to support multichannel. (I could be wrong, I am relatively new to SACD)

Hmm, sounds like maybe they inadvertantly opened up that capability when it's not supposed to be.
And quickly closed it up again with 2.01.

Shame though.

And you're right, it would have been the only player to play at least a compressed form of 5.1 via optical.

It seems like a very strange feature to accidentally enable. At least that's what I keep telling myself while I hope they re-enable it. Of course the other argument could be they didn't mention it at all in the 2.0 release notes so it wasn't supposed to be there. (although it seems like a lot of stuff gets missed)

SACD is really basically dead, with very few retailers stocking very few discs, I don't see what the harm would be at this point to basically allow what should've been there from day 1. It might help revitalize a little bit of interest in the format. It's not like it's going to cannibalize sales of all those SACD players and discs lining Best Buy's shelves...

anyone having audio issues? whenever i listen to mp3's i get some wierd audio crackling. i thought maybe it was my tv so i tried listening at low volumes and it still did it but much quieter.. so im thinking its the system. im using HDMI. and this only started after either 2.0 or 2.01

it doesnt happen all the time.

[quote name='bluemonkey101021']anyone having audio issues? whenever i listen to mp3's i get some wierd audio crackling. i thought maybe it was my tv so i tried listening at low volumes and it still did it but much quieter.. so im thinking its the system. im using HDMI. and this only started after either 2.0 or 2.01

it doesnt happen all the time.[/quote]

Noticed this today too. :bomb:

You guys seen this story?

In light of the recent announcement of Lionsgate's BD-Live movies, the latest firmware update for the PlayStation 3 has been speculated to be released as early as this month already. We're not sure if it'll already have DivX technology, but here's what movie studios expect: the next PS3 firmware could pave the way for interconnectivity functions of BD-Live Blu-ray movies.

In the same conference in which Lionsgate made their announcement, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment executive VP Don Eklund expects that the new firmware will give the PS3 system a Profile v1.1 (PiP) upgrade.

This should include support for picture-in-picture interactivity that the HD-DVD camp already had for quite some time now as a standard. Eklund suggests that this firmware update would do good to roll out during this holiday season.

"We have an aggressive program underway to use network capabilities on our titles next year," stated Eklund.

Meanwhile, he also forecasts that another future PS3 firmware update could eventually bump up the machine into a Profile v2.0 for full BD-Live support, thereby upping the ante once again on the never ending format wars.

What formats can the PS3 stream again? I was playing around with the AVI on my 360 and was curious what the PS3 does? My PS3 does not stream as good as my 360 anyways. For some reason, my 360 can read ALL my music, the PS3 seems to get hung up on it. I think it's just TOO much for the PS3 to process. 200+GB music on an external USB HDD connected to my PC.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']what media server are you using? I have no problem with tversity. i stream divx, aac, mp3, m4a, mov, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm just using WMP11. I didn't want to switch at this point....as WMP11 works great for the 360, just average for the PS3. Does TVserity give you MORE formats to stream then?

Is it easy to setup? I mainly just want to stream mp3 and possibly some video files.

tversity just sets up another media server along side your wmp11, so u have both options when you go into the PS3 XMB. Tversity works great for me, streams everything i throw at it including avi.

[quote name='kleptoix']tversity just sets up another media server along side your wmp11, so u have both options when you go into the PS3 XMB. Tversity works great for me, streams everything i throw at it including avi.[/QUOTE]

Really, you can use BOTH? I thought I read in TVersity to disable WMP11...interesting

[quote name='doubledown']Really, you can use BOTH? I thought I read in TVersity to disable WMP11...interesting[/QUOTE]

yea when I go into the XMB, there is choice for TVersity and for my computer as a media server so I can choose either one and stream files from my computer.

When looking around the net, I have come across a Firmware 2.10 update.

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/guides/detail/item89434/Update-features-(ver-2-10)/

An update to the PS3 system software was released on December 18, 2007. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.10 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.10, you will need a minimum 120Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).

The PLAYSTATION 3 system software version 2.10 update includes the following:

* Voice Changer

cqs1197898160f.jpg

The Voice Changer feature has been added to voice / video chat. Visit the Voice Changer guide in Help & Support under PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Using this feature, you can change the tone of a voice that is input from an audio device such as a microphone. High and low-pitched tones can each be adjusted to five preset levels. You can vary the tone when using voice / video chat under Friends.

Other new or revised features in version 2.10

Music

* You can now select [Type 3] as an option under Settings > [Music Settings] > [Bitmapping]. This bitmapping process was developed specifically for the PS3TM system to enhance audio playback.

Video

* DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added to the types of files that can be played. *
* Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. **
* [BD Data Utility] has been added. ***

- To play VC-1 (WMV) format files, you must go to Settings > [System Settings] and set [Enable WMA Playback].
- Copyright-protected files or files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played. - Files that are 2GB or more cannot be played.
** You may now be able to use several additional features such as playback of two videos at the same time with Profile 1.1-compatible Blu-ray Discs. The available features vary depending on the disc.
*** The management data that is used by the Blu-ray Disc is saved.

why didnt the guy just link directly to the page .. last week had so much fake news BUT...

this is on par .. in Spain tomorrow it Wends SO that makes sense, I hope so because i dont want to have to encode my Rise of the Video Game download ;).

I updated my post. I came across an English version online. I'm expecting a blog post by Eric Lempel later today.

I'm just really curious what stealth update we may receive. ;)

I wonder if BD profile 1.1 updates any previous BR movies. I'm assuming that since hollywood movie people are lazy as game developers that they have the coding for stuff on HD-DVD movies as well as BR movies like Picture in Picture.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']2 GB limit?[/QUOTE]I'm hearing two possibilities around the net. One has to do with the PS3 not having a lot of RAM, while the other has to do slightly with copyright protection. I dunno, I cannot confirm anything, just what I've heard.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']2 GB limit?[/QUOTE]

oh just split the files! That's the way to get around that 2gb file size limit. Which to me isn't that big of a deal because most divx files are usually less than 2gb anyway.

[quote name='Thomas96']oh just split the files! That's the way to get around that 2gb file size limit. Which to me isn't that big of a deal because most divx files are usually less than 2gb anyway.[/quote]

Uhhh, I'm just wondering why there's a file size limit.

I don't really use files that are over 800 MB, but once in a while I'll get a Hi-Def file that's aroun 2.4 - 4.8 GB

[quote name='zewone']No xVid support is boo boo the foo.[/QUOTE]

XVID works .. confirmed like 8 times in the last hour ;)

[quote name='TripleTags']XVID works .. confirmed like 8 times in the last hour ;)[/QUOTE]
Notice when I posted that.

And what are you talking about?

No has posted anything in this thread about xvid working.

I'm assuming the 2GB limit is to prevent the playing of copied Bluray files. I know my buddy downloaded a 1080p 16GB Spiderman 3, but I'm probably just making this up.

One complaint I do have with the update is that the notifications are no longer transparent, which firmware 2.0 did. They are back to being solid gray like before. I actually really liked that.

Watching WMV files now

[quote name='The Mana Knight']One complaint I do have with the update is that the notifications are no longer transparent, which firmware 2.0 did. They are back to being solid gray like before. I actually really liked that.

Watching WMV files now[/QUOTE]They're transparent for me, atleast while watching DivX anyway.

And for those wondering, xvid worked for me.

xVid works.
My glorious HD videos in VC-1 work. Damn they look nice.

Way better than what TVersity did to them.
Hell yes.

Also, the movie previews work again in the folders.
And there's a new music visualizer or something.

VOICE CHANGER kicks so much ass.
I had a lot of fun with that in CoD4 tonight.

Sorry if this stuff was mentioned.

I've put some anime on my PS3 with some DVD's I've stored them on and that works great, though a little slow compared to using the PSP instead. I'm trying to download some divx videos off of the web, but my browser being slow and stupid right now. :whistle2:( WMV support's great, as I can download the 1up Show straight to the PS3 and the videos on gamevideos, too. :D

Is VC-1 a fancy word for wmv videos?

[quote name='dallow']Another killer stealth update.

You can play PSX disc games and PSX downloaded games via remote play.[/QUOTE]fuckING SWEET

I am loving this update! Streaming avi file is fantabulous! one question though, how do you keep it from disconnecting from the media server? I never had any issues using TVersity with disconnection but having issues using media player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back