The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Hotwls, where is the GRush in Bakersfield? A friend of mine didn't know of any this summer.[/QUOTE]

There are three in Bakersfield.

Coffee and Hageman
The Marketplace
Oswell south of 178

There not manned separately anymore, but still considered Blockbuster and Gamerush.

Xbox 360
Madden 08 $35
NCAA 08 $30

Anyone know anything flippable? I couldn't find any of Darkness or HoV when it was available at BOGO 50%...

I picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 (X360) for $14.99 at Blockbuster today....I noticed the prices for some games actually seem cheaper than in the past.

Thanks a lot for the tip, Cdeener.

I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have any bundles for me. :D

$99.99 right? I have about $80 in credit, so I'll have to bring Shadowrun or Bioshock with me to trade in.

[quote name='guyinga']I picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 (X360) for $14.99 at Blockbuster today....I noticed the prices for some games actually seem cheaper than in the past.[/quote] yea ive seen that at two seperate stores but both were disc only or i would have got it.:cry: I almost bought it anyway since $15 credit is 7.50 cash..

Wiki updated, along with these:

:360:
Guitar Hero II (game only)- NOTHING!
Guitar Hero III (game only)- $35!
Guitar Hero III (bundle)- NOTHING!

I traded an Over G Fighters for $28.50 Saturday and was able to pick up my leftover credit from the other day as well. Value card worked like a charm Saturday.

I also noticed that this non-GR Blockbuster had the new Ratchet & Clank for sale new. If I had a PS3 I'd have snapped that up in a heartbeat with my gimpy credit. This time I asked if they knew what else they might have in the near future and much like it was at the ol' Gamerush, they said they had no idea what they were getting until they opened the box ;). They did say that they generally get these on Thursday, which is interesting, as GR used to get stuff on Friday a lot. Didn't R&C just come out last week? So that means they get games normally released on Tues/Weds on the same Thurs. If so, that's pretty nice - I'll have to check for the Simpsons Game and Mass Effect (and then cancel or return my preordered EB copies).

[quote name='djkunai']Wiki updated, along with these:

Guitar Hero II (game only)- NOTHING!
Guitar Hero III (game only)- $35!
Guitar Hero III (bundle)- NOTHING![/QUOTE]

Guitar Hero II dropped from $24 to nothing? Is that the PS2 or Xbox 360 version?

[quote name='jkircos']Guitar Hero II dropped from $24 to nothing? Is that the PS2 or Xbox 360 version?[/QUOTE]

360, sorry.

[quote name='io']I traded an Over G Fighters for $28.50 Saturday and was able to pick up my leftover credit from the other day as well. Value card worked like a charm Saturday.

I also noticed that this non-GR Blockbuster had the new Ratchet & Clank for sale new. If I had a PS3 I'd have snapped that up in a heartbeat with my gimpy credit. This time I asked if they knew what else they might have in the near future and much like it was at the ol' Gamerush, they said they had no idea what they were getting until they opened the box ;). They did say that they generally get these on Thursday, which is interesting, as GR used to get stuff on Friday a lot. Didn't R&C just come out last week? So that means they get games normally released on Tues/Weds on the same Thurs. If so, that's pretty nice - I'll have to check for the Simpsons Game and Mass Effect (and then cancel or return my preordered EB copies).[/quote]

My GR also had Ratchet & Clank for the PS3 as of this past Friday. If I still had credit with them I would've bought it.

I just called my GR to get some quotes for when I go in there tomorrow.

$22 Shadowrun
$15 Pokemon: Diamond
$24 LoZ: TP [GC]

and get this

$34.99 for the GH1 w/ guitar for PS2 and
$64.99 for the GH2 w/ guitar!

I asked him if these were the prices to buy or what they trade in for, and even he sounded surprised and said that they were, in fact, the trade in prices.

I'm getting the GH3 bundle tomorrow for free then. :D

Has anyone seen the Xbox 360 Arcade console for sale at GameRush? I got a $25 hard drive at Kmart, so I thought it would be a cost-effective option, but the guy at one GR I stopped at today said that he couldn't even find it in the system. He said that all he saw listed were the Halo and Elite models.

:ps2:
Guitar Hero (game only) - NOTHING
Guitar Hero II (game only) - $19
:ds:
Mega Man Star Force Leo - $10
Mega Man Star Force Pegasus - $10
Mega Man Star Force Dragon - Not in system

All the stores around me don't take back Guitar Hero with the controller. I'm reluctant to update the wiki with the prices listed above since they quoted ending in .99, which I've never seen. Those sound like used prices.

I'm going to GR tomorrow, so I'll post here about what happens.

I'm 99% sure that the guy was reading it wrong, seeing as no trade in prices end in .99.

But there's always a hope. I'm going to the one that I got the quotes from, too, so maybe they're a franchise store..?

I have my fingers crossed!

I just picked up the Wii version of GH3 at my local GR. They said they had 2 bundles each for the 3 next gen system. I've only gotten through the first set list in the game but it was very fun and the guitar feels really,really nice.

[quote name='elmyra']Has anyone seen the Xbox 360 Arcade console for sale at GameRush? I got a $25 hard drive at Kmart, so I thought it would be a cost-effective option, but the guy at one GR I stopped at today said that he couldn't even find it in the system. He said that all he saw listed were the Halo and Elite models.[/QUOTE]

When/where did you get this? I'm also in Tampa.

[quote name='lyric706']When/where did you get this? I'm also in Tampa.[/quote]
Are you talking about the hard drive? I got it at a Kmart in St. Pete, but it was the only one I found in all of Pinellas County. You might find them in Tampa, though.

[quote name='aoLat']

and get this

$34.99 for the GH1 w/ guitar for PS2 and
$64.99 for the GH2 w/ guitar!

I asked him if these were the prices to buy or what they trade in for, and even he sounded surprised and said that they were, in fact, the trade in prices.

I'm getting the GH3 bundle tomorrow for free then. :D[/QUOTE]

What version of GHII was that? I find that odd to have a trade in price of $64.99 as no game I ever traded in had $xx.99 on it.

Odd.

I'm glad the Kmart clearance sale is over. I maxed out a Value Card over the weekend - never did that before (usually used two and swapped back and forth to keep under the radar).

Christmas should be good for the people in my family, and I didn't even use the thing we aren't talking about.

[quote name='kojubat']I'm glad the Kmart clearance sale is over. I maxed out a Value Card over the weekend - never did that before (usually used two and swapped back and forth to keep under the radar).

Christmas should be good for the people in my family, and I didn't even use the thing we aren't talking about.[/quote]

Wow. What's a VC max out at?

[quote name='jdawgg76']Wow. What's a VC max out at?[/QUOTE]

$500

I did it once....now I am back up to $350....looking to spend, hmmm, what to buy.

i know this is a dumb question, but where are the EB/GS B1G1 50% off used games coupons found? i feel like i have looked everywhere...THANKS

Hey, have you guys seen the Wii console in-stock at your GR's lately? I just started building up credit again, and we want to get one for my son for Christmas. I haven't looked locally yet, but with what I have left to trade in, I should have just about enough credit to get one.

[quote name='kojubat']I'm glad the Kmart clearance sale is over. I maxed out a Value Card over the weekend - never did that before (usually used two and swapped back and forth to keep under the radar).

Christmas should be good for the people in my family, and I didn't even use the thing we aren't talking about.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what is the max you can put on a value card? Doesn't matter to me right now since I redeemed for a 360 pro last week, but next time there's a great flipping deal, might be good to know.

[quote name='mkernan']Out of curiosity, what is the max you can put on a value card? Doesn't matter to me right now since I redeemed for a 360 pro last week, but next time there's a great flipping deal, might be good to know.[/QUOTE]

Look at post #272, right above yours.....

$500 is MAX

Whats really stupid is that Timeshift which comes out tommorrow i wont be able to buy it until friday cause apparentely they get there new games on Friday which sucks :(

[quote name='ShaJay']Whats really stupid is that Timeshift which comes out tommorrow i wont be able to buy it until friday cause apparentely they get there new games on Friday which sucks :([/quote]
I'm so amped up for CoD4 that I may buy it when it comes out wherever I find it and start playing right away, then buy at Blockbuster and return that sealed copy to wherever I bought the first copy.

[quote name='$hady']

Wii60S3 FTW! I love fifty cents on the dollar systems. Thanks CAG! :D[/QUOTE]

Thats my feeling I combined all my cards today at lunch and have almost $250.... thats for about 2 hours worth of work and $120! Not the best rate but worth it for me.

[quote name='doubledown']Look at post #272, right above yours.....

$500 is MAX[/QUOTE]

Oh geez, my bad..... I've got a head cold, apparently the side-effects include blindness and stupidity. That's funny.... I had $496 on my card before I redeemed for the 360. I'm really enjoying the crap out of it. Did bunches of HoV and The Darkness trades for the 360 pro, Orange Box, and Second controller. Portal is f'ing brilliant!

[quote name='hotwls13']Hey, have you guys seen the Wii console in-stock at your GR's lately? I just started building up credit again, and we want to get one for my son for Christmas. I haven't looked locally yet, but with what I have left to trade in, I should have just about enough credit to get one.[/quote]
Get friendly with your local stores and start calling the Gamerush locations wednesday & friday afternoons. Usually wed. is systems and fri. is games as far as video game material deliveries. It took me 2 wednesdays to find a Wii but I have 5 GR locations near me. Good Luck!

and

TODAY IS DUMP DAY remember GR noobs trade prices change on tuesdays so dump today. :D

Thanks for the systems tip....I'm still debating if I want to get a Wii (I highly doubt I would play as I'm the only gamer in the house...and my daughter is jus tturning 1, so a little advanced for her).

An ELITE would be nice, bbut then I would have the burden of selling my old system and all my GR credit would be gone :(

I could just get like 6 games....which seems very little in the scheme of things....damn $60 games ;)

[quote name='doubledown']Thanks for the systems tip....I'm still debating if I want to get a Wii (I highly doubt I would play as I'm the only gamer in the house...and my daughter is jus tturning 1, so a little advanced for her).

An ELITE would be nice, bbut then I would have the burden of selling my old system and all my GR credit would be gone :(

I could just get like 6 games....which seems very little in the scheme of things....damn $60 games ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm debating the same thing with $400 credit. Thinking about getting a Wii and a few games, a 399 PS3, or 7-8 360 games.

I'll probably go with the Wii, since I asked the manager about it last week and she made a note with my info so she could call me when they get one in. The only games I want are Fire Emblem & Resident Evil: UC, but I figured I could sell it and get close to what I paid for it if I can't find any other games I like on the Wii.

Have about $400+ now since I build up some credit about 2 months back. Only bought Halo 3 with so far. Personally I am just going to use it to pick up games here and there. If I have anything left come christmas I will use it on gifts...

Well if Hour of Victory holds up I wouldn't mind putting in an order for another 12 copies through Amazon to make $440 credit from $220 cash.

So NO GO on the GHIII Bundle trade in. It is not in the system and it does not get 64$ as earlier stated.

Also All Pro Football 2008 get 15$, so the target clearance is not a flippable item, just incase anyone was wondering.

Quick update (today):

all 360

COD2 - $12
Bionicles - $15
SC-DA - $12
THAW - $15
Open Season - $19
Fuzion Frenzy 2 - $15
Forza 2 - $30
Chromehounds - $8
Table Tennis - $8

Went today and got:

Pokemon: Diamond $15
God of War 2 $19
Shadowrun $22
LoZ: TP [GC] $24
The Darkness [360] $35
GRAW2 [360] $22
Condemned $12

$149 total, picked up GH3 for 360 for $105.99 after tax, have $43.01 left. I didn't even bother with the GH1 and 2 bundles. I'm up to $128.80 in GR credit which I'll be using for Mass Effect and either Assassin's Creed or Orange Box depending on reviews.

Then I'm going to EB tomorrow and using the Trade 2 360 games get $10 more deal to get enough for CoD4: LE for next Monday or Tuesday, if the $25 for Bioshock and $20 for RS:V hold up. Then I've got a handful of other Xbox and GC games lying around to be safe.

[quote name='$hady']Get friendly with your local stores and start calling the Gamerush locations wednesday & friday afternoons. Usually wed. is systems and fri. is games as far as video game material deliveries. It took me 2 wednesdays to find a Wii but I have 5 GR locations near me. Good Luck!

and

TODAY IS DUMP DAY remember GR noobs trade prices change on tuesdays so dump today. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I talked to my GR today, and they said they are expecting two Wii's Wednesday. I traded a few games today for another $46 credit. So, I have like $175 credit. Depending on whether prices hold tomorrow, I may try to find a little more to trade in.

Dropped 2 more off tonight, before a potential drop.

360 Bionicle Heroes - $15
360 Cabela's Alaskan Adventure - $15

The strange thing, is that apparently I'm now on some sort of `list,' for people that trade in more than 5 games in a month (these were 6 and 7). The cashier couldn't say what it was, just gave me a warning about the list. The other weird thing is that everyone at this particular store kept going on about how terrible their trade-in prices were, and that FYE game much better credit, even though nobody had ever done a trade-in, or even knew any trade-in prices. Needless to say, they were very suprised when they saw how much the trade-in credit was for the games I had (especially The Darkness)!

FYI, I saw two used game price drops.

Bioshock is now $44.99

Halo 3 is now $49.99

Bioshock seems to be a good deal, a full $10 less than the used price at EB/GS. Halo 3 is $5 less than EB/GS. Tons of copies of Bioshock (which is expected because it's single-player only). Only one copy of Halo 3.

[quote name='CaptPete']The cashier couldn't say what it was, just gave me a warning about the list.[/QUOTE]
I'm getting pretty annoyed with BB/GR behavior now. THEY implemented the trade-in policy, THEY set trade-in prices, but they make US feel like criminals for trading in games.

From now on, I'm going to shamelessly trade-in games and make all my local Blockbuster Videos take a bath on trade-in credit. They can enjoy having copies of Cabela's taking up shelf space and collecting dust while I enjoy brand new games at deep discounts.

Bioshock dropping another $5 is very tempting. I've got $104 in credit, and am in need of something fun to play.

Any idea what Fight Night Round 3 gets in trade?

[quote name='ksuwild25']I'm debating the same thing with $400 credit. Thinking about getting a Wii and a few games, a 399 PS3, or 7-8 360 games.

I'll probably go with the Wii, since I asked the manager about it last week and she made a note with my info so she could call me when they get one in. The only games I want are Fire Emblem & Resident Evil: UC, but I figured I could sell it and get close to what I paid for it if I can't find any other games I like on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Choices, choices...I want a Wii sort of, but it is "just to have it" kind of feeling. I feel I would play Wii Sports and get bored with it.....would be fun for parties, but with a 1 year old, that doesn't happen much.

I may just hold my credit for games.....I already have a PS3 and 360.

Also, does Stranglehold still get $35 as of today? Just finished the game last night...no interest in that multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back