The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I have about $380 in trade in credit. I was thinking about buying a PS3 with it but now that I think abuot it I think I'll be putting it towards all the great 360 games I still need to pick up. Orange Box, CoD4, maybe Assasin's Creed depending on the reviews.

Called this morning to check to see if they've gotten any Wii's in (no, unfortunately). But thought I'd report that The Darkness is still holding at $35.

Can I safely assume LoZ TP (GC) is the highest trade in value for the Gamecube?

Thanks Awp for the Darkness info, too bad theres no coupon to make it a good flipper...

[quote name='djkunai']Can anyone who is not on the west coast call and check the value for Hour of Victory?[/quote]

Still holding at $35.

[quote name='doubledown']Just curious, what does WARTECH (360) trade in for?

Trying to find a decent flipping programs, since I missed out on HoV...oh well.[/quote]

According to the wiki, $15 as of 10/19. Small profit to be had flipping.

[quote name='doubledown']Just curious, what does WARTECH (360) trade in for?

Trying to find a decent flipping programs, since I missed out on HoV...oh well.[/QUOTE]

How did you miss out on HoV? It's still trading for $35 and is still $24.99 ($22.50 after Edge) at EB.

[quote name='awp']How did you miss out on HoV? It's still trading for $35 and is still $24.99 ($22.50 after Edge) at EB.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats .66/1.00 It was at .50/1.00 previously whcih was a better deal.. Its still somewhat worth it I guess.

[quote name='Snake2715']Yeah thats .66/1.00 It was at .50/1.00 previously whcih was a better deal.. Its still somewhat worth it I guess.[/QUOTE]

OK. That's understandable. I'm using it -- along with The Darkness -- and some Kmart flips to get a Wii for about $150 out of pocket. Yeah, that's not quite as good as some of the pros around here can manage, but still a good deal to me.

Would have been nice if that B1G1 1/2 off coupon was still around for EB.

There is still a 10% off coupon for EB/GS that you can use with your EDGE card to get a decent deal.

HOV = ($24.99 x .9) x .9 = $20.24

72.9% return

[quote name='Agrippan']Are there any particular benefits to trading in at a Blockbuster (not GameRush) instead of Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster and GameRush are the same place basically....they give higher trade in values generally than GameStop/EB.

Hmmm, need to find some cheap HoV I suppose and The Darkness.

Cheapest HoV I know of is a $20 new copy from Amazon. No tax (except they always charge me, I think because I am in Cali) and free shipping. It should arrive by Monday if you order soon I would think.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Cheapest HoV I know of is a $20 new copy from Amazon. No tax (except they always charge me, I think because I am in Cali) and free shipping. It should arrive by Monday if you order soon I would think.[/QUOTE]

Just ordered 16 copies of HOV. Now I need 8 filler games to get my $5 bonus. Maybe WarTech.

X360
Superman Returns - $15 credit
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - $15 credit

Both games are holding their value from last week.

Just picked up 2 copies of each for $7 each at KMart.

114.3% return

Haven't traded a set of KMart pickups yet and luckily the values held. Called today:

Open Season 19
Bionicle 15
Phantasy Star 12
Cabela Alaska 15

I also checked Call of Juarez which is still 29.98 here, but should drop to 14.98 @ Target.

Call of Juarez 22

It was 35 last week and is no longer such a great trade in.

Thanks jdawgg76 - good news on Bionicles as I have a few more of those and they are worthless otherwise (no one on CAG wants to trade for them that's for sure ;)). My son enjoys the game but we already have it (thought I got a great deal ordering it from TRU for $9 a few months back).

If anyone is asking about games could they check on Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 4 for the XBox (game only of course)? That's another $4.90 Kmart game that I saw in abundance. That is one of those games that could be anywhere from $2 to $28.50 at Blockbuster (though DDR 2 and 3 are listed in the wiki at $9.50 from June so that's encouraging - hopefully DDR 4 is more).

[quote name='eraser813']io, your signature quote is pretty funny.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I just read it. That's hilarious, Gamestop is one of the WORST retailers for video games...

[quote name='neocisco']gamestop dave drinks a LOT of the Kool-Aid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know if he was a serious poster (ie, a GS plant) or someone goofing off, but either way it was hilarious.

Posted this in the Kmart thread too:

For those of you unable to find good deals at Kmart, you can close to double your money.(if the $5 extra trade in per game is intact) by buying the XBox 360 3 Pack that can be found at most stores. For $30.00 you get Open Season, Cars, and Fuzion Frenzy 2.

Open Season $19
Fuzion Frenzy 2 $15
Cars $8.00

+ $15 for the trade in 3 extra $5 per game

$57.00

So if you subtract $2.00 for the tax you paid to get the games your getting $25.00 profit.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Posted this in the Kmart thread too:

For those of you unable to find good deals at Kmart, you can close to double your money.(if the $5 extra trade in per game is intact) by buying the XBox 360 3 Pack that can be found at most stores. For $30.00 you get Open Season, Cars, and Fuzion Frenzy 2.

Open Season $19
Fuzion Frenzy 2 $15
Cars $8.00

+ $15 for the trade in 3 extra $5 per game

$57.00

So if you subtract $2.00 for the tax you paid to get the games your getting $25.00 profit.[/quote]

Thanks, but most of us haven't been able to get the extra $5 since the promotion ended a very long time ago. A few stores kept offering it, but most stores don't.

[quote name='elmyra']Thanks, but most of us haven't been able to get the extra $5 since the promotion ended a very long time ago. A few stores kept offering it, but most stores don't.[/QUOTE]

Ah.dang.Well that makesme have to rethink things than lol. Has anyone traded in any 06 sports titles lately? I'm wondering how much I'd get for them.

Blitz the League
Madden 06
MLB 06
NBA 2K6
NCAA Basketball 2K6
NBA Live 06
NCAA Football 07
NHL 2K6

If I could get say....$30 for all of those, I'd trade them in.

KMart clearance is where it's at. Went to a couple other stores tonight:

Superman Returns X360 $7
Bionicle Heroes X360 $4.90
2 x Open Season X360 $7

$25.90 total; will trade-in tomorrow for $68 in BB/GR credit. 162.5% return.

Also grabbed some accessories:

2 x Universal Gamer Remotes $3.50
Intec UMD Cases $1.05
Intec Universal AV Cable $3.50
Intec X360 Controller Stands $3.50

I think i need to get an updated Kmart list. The only games my stores have marked as clearance are the shitty front lane games.

Yeah a list would rock. I have not been checking K marts.

My local store is offering sandisk 2gb Sd for 24.99 in add. Thats not spectacular but decent.

Hmmmmmmmmm..well I went to my nearest Blockbuster today with the following games(all for 360):

The Outfit
Bomberman
Call of Duty 2 $12
Madden 06
NBA Live 06
NBA 2K6
NCAA Basketball 2K6
NHL 2K6 $2
MLB 2K6
NCAA Football 07
Blitz the League $22!
Cars $8
Fuzion Frenzy 2 $15

But the manager wasnt in so they wouldnt let me trade anything. Told me to come back tomorrow. But he did tell me how much I'd get for everything. The ones I remembered I listed prices for above. All together it averaged somewhere around $150. So thats basically $10 a game. Not bad.

I did call another Blockbuster when I got home and he said I could come in and trade them but the games all had to have there instructions and not have a scratch on them. 3 of those games I listed I dont have the instructions for.

:/

So I'm going to try the one Blockbuster I went to earlier tomorrow. Might trade in Open Season as well if I get the majority of the achievements tonight. Thatll tack on another $19. :)

But does anyone know if all Blockbusters make you have the instructions, covers of the games, and no scratches? Cause if thats the case.that list will be cut in half. :(

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Hmmmmmmmmm..well I went to my nearest Blockbuster today with the following games(all for 360):

The Outfit
Bomberman
Call of Duty 2 $12
Madden 06
NBA Live 06
NBA 2K6
NCAA Basketball 2K6
NHL 2K6 $2
MLB 2K6
NCAA Football 07
Blitz the League $22!
Cars $8
Fuzion Frenzy 2 $15

But the manager wasnt in so they wouldnt let me trade anything. Told me to come back tomorrow. But he did tell me how much I'd get for everything. The ones I remembered I listed prices for above. All together it averaged somewhere around $150. So thats basically $10 a game. Not bad.

I did call another Blockbuster when I got home and he said I could come in and trade them but the games all had to have there instructions and not have a scratch on them. 3 of those games I listed I dont have the instructions for.

:/

So I'm going to try the one Blockbuster I went to earlier tomorrow. Might trade in Open Season as well if I get the majority of the achievements tonight. Thatll tack on another $19. :)

But does anyone know if all Blockbusters make you have the instructions, covers of the games, and no scratches? Cause if thats the case.that list will be cut in half. :([/quote]

I've traded in disc only games before without any problems, and I've never heard of anyone being denied for the games being scratched.

The employee I traded in with last did kinda pause when I gave him Hour of Victory with no cover art (it was in a generic case from EB). But he let it go.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']I've traded in disc only games before without any problems, and I've never heard of anyone being denied for the games being scratched.[/quote]

Depends on the person you get and how anal the store management is. Usually no instructions is fine, but most stores require the cover art. Our store requires cover art. Scratches are on a case by case basis. As long as it looks like it'll play, we'll take it.

[quote name='Warner1281']Depends on the person you get and how anal the store management is. Usually no instructions is fine, but most stores require the cover art. Our store requires cover art. Scratches are on a case by case basis. As long as it looks like it'll play, we'll take it.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Well than I dont think that Blockbuster will be 'anal' about it. The other one I called is in a town I dont really care for. So hey, hopefully everything will go smoothly for me tomorrow.

I'll let you all know the exact prices of each game I trade in tomorrow as well.if they give me a receipt or something. or Ill try to remember the best I can.

And the guy there did say $22 for Blitz..so hopefully he didnt look it up wrong or something. cause thatd be a major profit there.

:)

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']

I'll let you all know the exact prices of each game I trade in tomorrow as well.if they give me a receipt or something. or Ill try to remember the best I can.
[/QUOTE]

You will get an itemized receipt ;).

I remember my store put up a sign saying they would only take complete games, no disc only games. (Not sure if instructions matter, as I hav ebought some w/o instructions).

I tried selling just the cart of Mario Kart DS and they wouldn't take it, even though I bought just carts of other DS games there. It's probably a YMMV depending on who is there.

1NOV07 - Open Season 360 $19.00
DDR Universe 360 $22.00
Fuzion Frenzy 2 360$15.00
Disgaesa 2 PS2$19.00

No extra $5 for 360 games promotion at this Gamerush...

Also YMMV - Shrek/Simpsons items were all on a clearance table at 50% - toys, etch a sketch, Monopoly, beer cap checkers...

If Blitz (360) is legit at $22, I'm definitely trading mine in. Not sure if the price is still valid, but I bought mine at GameCrazy for $7.99.

If someone wants to update the wiki, I traded in DOA Extreme 2 (360) and Mario Tennis (GC) yesterday and got $19 each for them.

I was hoping to pick up GH3 but I settled for Ratchet and Clank PS3.

[quote name='JJSP']If Blitz (360) is legit at $22, I'm definitely trading mine in. Not sure if the price is still valid, but I bought mine at GameCrazy for $7.99.[/quote]

Just called it DOES get $22 trade credit. Now you guys find where it's available for cheap still while I go to work. :D

Gamecrazy has it for 14.99 so if you add the 10 % card, $13.60 plus Tax to get 22.00. So a Profit of $8.40 if its worth it to you.

Disgaea 2 trades for $19 there? SNAP.

Eragon - $12
Just Cause - $12
Caleba's Alaskan Adventure - $15

Caleba's African is the same price, I think, and ChromeHounds is $5-7 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back