The Randy "The Ram" Robinson Wrestling Thread

Why the fuck do they keep having TNA wrestlers winning titles in Japan that most fans in America have no idea about or care about New Japan Pro Wrestling?

Impact drew a 1.1 rating, down from last week's 1.2. I don't know if I should care more about it, since it's the same fucking rating each week.
I wonder when will TNA actually nail a 1.3?

[quote name='cdeener']Why the fuck do they keep having TNA wrestlers winning titles in Japan that most fans in America have no idea about or care about New Japan Pro Wrestling?[/QUOTE]

I think WCW did a good thing in the early 1990's when they brought in a bunch of NJPW talent. I was instantly hooked on Muta, liked Chono and Tenzan, and even thought "Green Road Warrior" Kensuke Sasaki was cool. So if TNA wants to bring in talent, that's good.

But they need video clips; archival footage showing off what these guys could do in the ring. Present their characters, even if it's superficially done. As much of a joke as Kaientai became quickly after their into, and as much as we laugh about Kung Fu Drug Mule now, the fact is that the WWF did a helluva job promoting TAKA Michinoku before he entered the WWF for the first time. They built up to his debut, showcased his talent, and made people want to see him.

But paying to fly over talent, with no buildup, for cameos and supplementary roles in tag matches is a waste of time and talent. A video clip takes 15 seconds of airtime. That's not that much, especially with so much filler as all tv wrestling shows have today. Same goes for TNA simply having Muta show up for 6 seconds on camera, say nothing, and then have no followup. Even if it was circumstantial (he was in the area and they just threw him on camera), it made no sense. No buildup, no excitement, no follow-through? Waste of precious TV time.

Japan =/= the US. Giant Bernard gets over in Japan. Terkay got over as Bruiser Brody The Predator. BART GUNN got over in Japan. That should tell you something. Virtually any Westerner can get over in Japan. But the opposite is, by a long shot, not the case in the US.

And they need to stay away from people that suck. ROH's Shingo is terrible, and it always seems that the one dude who's covered in ICP tattoos always manages to show up in promotions he doesn't deserve to set up the rings for.

EDIT: TNA will hit a 1.3 in the ratings when they bring back Sarah Palin.

[quote name='mykevermin']
EDIT: TNA will hit a 1.3 in the ratings when they bring back Sarah Palin.[/quote]

I'll say this much, Daffney as Sarah was hot. Then again, Daffney could come out dressed as a brown paper bag and I'd dig it.

I don't mind TNA bringing up 3D winning the IWGP tag belts (now the fake-looking "Japan" set...yeah...), but I do mind it when they act like winning a Japanese belt means more than winning one in TNA (which was the case with the 3D win) - it makes their own company look second-rate, and it's bad enough when they do it regarding WWE - let alone a company that most of their viewers have seen. At least 3D actually won the IWGP tag titles, as opposed to Angle winning the fake IWGP title.

TNA really should've gotten more mileage out of Tomko winning the IWGP tag title as well - he just carried that thing around for weeks without any explanation as to A. what it was and B. why it mattered. They have gotten slightly better at educating fans about that, but not by much - they at least showed pics of 3D's win to hype up Global Impact II, although they should've gone over past well-known guys who have held the belts (like the Steiners, Vader, Bigelow, and Hawk) to make it seem like a bigger deal .

WWE The Music Volume 9 - Voices (not the Best Buy-exclusive edition, unfortunately)

Full Album
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PKBGRXOP

Track-by-track (for those who just want some songs, or don't have the space for the whole album)

Randy Orton -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4NXEDGZV

Maryse -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U5AF2P8G

Kane -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S50Q70UN

Kung Fu Naki -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YZCD5UJW

Kelly Kelly -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KUKH2L41

R-Truth -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N2HLSVPP

Vladimir Kozlov -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6NV9D88E

Great Khali -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZQMQLAKL

Eve (seriously, she has a theme?) -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TFZPT3P4

Jack Swagger (Swaggaaaaa!) -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=49V8AUM3

MNTV-era SD theme -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IT9MIW3P

Umaga! -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGAMEI5O

New Priceless theme -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LSP3WQ6E

SD thoughts -

Really good show this week. I liked Shelton-Taker a lot, especially the high kick counter to Old School, and the surprise gogoplata finish. These two meshed better together very well once again, and they have even better chemistry than I expected, with 'Taker actually taking some of Shelton's suplexes and making his offense look as good as can be. It's a shame it's just a time-filler storyline for 'Taker, because I'd love to see these two get a chance to show off on PPV. I also wish they'd do something to make Shelton seem special with how close he's come to beating 'Taker - in each match, he was given the old jobber entrance, which looks terrible for a champion to be getting.

Miz/Morrison vs. the Colons was also very good - that was the first time I can recall a crowd really getting into a Colon tag match, and the fairly long finishing sequence came off great, with Primo saving Carlito from a pinfall after the Flying Chuck kick, leading to a reverse cradle reversal sequence, then the blind tag before the backstabber leading to the schoolboy finish.

The Jeff Hardy interview was also far better than expected, and while I don't think it did anywhere near what a similar one did for Mankind in the late '90s, it did at least give Jeff a chance to cut a good, passionate promo in such a way that he couldn't really yell to get his point across and get a pop for it - he had to act subdued, but still show rage, and did a good job of it. Jeff running through the history of the attacks was an easy, effective way to remind people of them and build up the possible return of Christian as the attacker. The "cross the line" line thrown in there was another hint of him being the attacker.

I liked the "you should've been there..." WWE PPV package - for far too long, WWE's just pumped out PPVs without making them seem important, and this video package made at least some of the shows - even the traditionally less-important B-shows, seem like events where history could be made and are things that you MUST see. The Wrestler video package was also good, and it's somewhat surreal to see WWE pimp a non-WWE Films movie more than their own now, and give ROH a free plug on global TV at the same time.

The main event was...fine. Nothing amazing, but I like seeing Big Show back in the SD main event scene on a weekly basis, and also liked seeing Kozlov score the pin on HHH. I hope they make a bigger deal of that in the future, because that is something that should be treated like a major event in Kozlov's career - even though it did happen in a handicap match, he still pinned the former WWE Champion, and the finish should at least be used in highlight reels/tron vids to show him as a top-level threat.

Penn Gilette calls "The Wrestler" one of the best movies he's ever seen, then says it's even more than that, and that it gave him a visceral reaction he's never had to a film before. He also calls it the most real movie he's ever seen, says that Rourke's acting is the most real acting he's ever seen, and says that after watching it "professional wrestling is real...man is it ever real." -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkneObQRkQ

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lmz00']Everytime they replay the Jeff Hardy pyro thing, all I can think about is Goldberg standing in his pyro.[/quote]

Yeah, but remember only Goldberg can no-sell pyro. He's also the only one who can job to the floor when he makes an entrance, besides Ultimo Dragon. :lol:

Any predictions for the Rumble?

Here's mine...

-Umaga returns, eliminates Taker.
-Final four is one main event level babyface (unsure who... Trips seems obvious), and Legacy.
-Babyface eliminates DiBiase & Rhodes but gets tossed by Orton for the win.
-Cena over JBL
-Swagger over Hardy
-Edge over Jeff when Christian Cage returns

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Any predictions for the Rumble?

Here's mine...

-Umaga returns, eliminates Taker.
-Final four is one main event level babyface (unsure who... Trips seems obvious), and Legacy.
-Babyface eliminates DiBiase & Rhodes but gets tossed by Orton for the win.
-Cena over JBL
-Swagger over Hardy
-Edge over Jeff when Christian Cage returns[/quote]

orton, trips, or taker will win rumbler
kennedy and mvp will be in the rumble, with kennedy eliminating mvp
cena over jbl
beth over melina
edge over jeff
jack over matt

Cena over JBL
Melina over Beth
Edge over J. Hardy
Swagger over M. Hardy
Christian Cage enters at #30 in the Rumble and wins it! (Sets up Cage vs. Edge@ WM)

- Orton wins RR (maybe betraying one of his partners after he eliminates a big name...ala Shawn/Diesel RR 96)
- second guess, Jericho

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone considered this option... hardy beating edge.
vickie puts edge in the rumble and christian helps edge win the rumble instead of the title eliminating HHH. setting up a hhh/christian match for NWO while edge wins the title in the elimination chamber then hhh goes on to take on edge at WM with hardy taking on christian.

just hit me a few minutes ago while i was watching smackdown, wont happen, but worth an idea.

[quote name='cdubb1605']has anyone considered this option... hardy beating edge.
vickie puts edge in the rumble and christian helps edge win the rumble instead of the title eliminating HHH. setting up a hhh/christian match for NWO while edge wins the title in the elimination chamber then hhh goes on to take on edge at WM with hardy taking on christian.

just hit me a few minutes ago while i was watching smackdown, wont happen, but worth an idea.[/QUOTE]

The only idea I can think of that's worse is bringing back Katie Vick and having her job to Underfaker, guest referee Bastion Booger.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']The only idea I can think of that's worse is bringing back Katie Vick and having her job to Underfaker, guest referee Bastion Booger.[/quote]

so.... youre agreeing that its plauible by WWE standards?

[quote name='Brak']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBtr5BS-Ts[/quote]

I remember seeing that live... I remember reading the next day that Steiner got a 30-day vacation out of it.

Rumble predictions? I only see 21 names listed on the website; I'll call the longshot of surprise entry Michaels winning the rumble, going on to win WM25, and splitting from JBL the next night, feuding through Summerslam.

In other matches: Swagger, Edge, Cena, and ... whoever for the women's title. I'd prefer Phoenix, so Melina should win it.

I'm thinking this is going to be a very short PPV or we're going to get some 'bonus' match that no one cares about. As for predictions, I'll take Orton, Cena, Edge, Beth Phoenix, and Jack Swagger.

In surprising news, there are almost no tickets for Raw on any of the broker sites or StubHub; usually I can find some damn good seats at a reasonable price the day of the show but it looks like I may be sitting this event out. Not that I feel I'll be missing much, but if Rev Theory is going to perform Orton's theme live, that would be kind of cool to see.

Edit: Well, according to their website, the performance on Raw was postponed. Little less incentive to go now.

Wow... until you guys mentioned it, I didn't even realize how few matches were on the card. Looking at the rosters, though, maybe they didn't want to dilute the Rumble itself too much, because once you start putting bigger guys in their own matches, the Rumble itself would look pretty anemic on 'big' talent. It wouldn't surprise me if we got some kind of unannounced tag title match or something, though.

Anyway, Rumble predictions:
(Realistically): Cena, Edge, Melina, Swagger, Orton.

... you know, I was going to do two sets, one that I think *is* going to happen, and a pipe dream one, but then I realized that outside of the Cena/JBL match, my realistic choices are what I'd actually want for a change. Weird.

For the first time ever, I can say that I'd actually like JBL to win. Hardy is going to drop the title before WM, so I'd rather it happen sooner than later, and to Edge. I like Beth, but I think Melina isn't a bad alternative, considering the crappy Diva roster. Swagger looks like a date rapist, which makes me want him to remain champion just so I get to say date rapist more. The Rumble is really between Orton and HHH, so that's Orton for two reasons: one, I really like Orton, and I think he has more story possibilities with this. Two, if HHH is an option, I will always pick the other one. Heh.

Guess I'll throw my hat in the prediction thing too;

JBL over Cena with help from HBK, setting up HBK Vs JBL at WM.

Jeff Hardy over Edge. Jeff Hardy (or his girl) will get attacked AGAIN, but Jeff will come out, and win regardless. After the match they introduce a mysterious masked man and pretty much play out the masked man storyline in SD! Vs Raw 09.

Beth over Melina. Either way, it's of no importance.

Swagger over Hardy. Hardy will win back the title by the end of Apr, just not here.

HBK wins the Rumble, with help from JBL.

Okay, so none of that is really me predicting what would happen, rather what I would do if I booked it.

[quote name='Genocidal']I've always thought Swagger looked like a bit of a pedophile, myself.[/QUOTE]

That he does, and All-American American has to be one of the worst nicknames of all time...

Cena over JBL.
Phoenix over Melina.
Swagger over Hardy.
Hardy vs. Edge, not sure about it since the possibility of Christian interfering can cause Hardy the title, if there's no Christian interference I will say Hardy over Edge.
Royal Rumble, my top picks:
1. Randy Orton -or- Christian*
2. Chris Jericho
3. HHH (damn)
4. 'Taker
5. Kane
*cough* John Morrison *cough* (That will be awesome).
*= if Christian doesn't interfere in the title match.
Seriously, I don't see any other guy winning the Rumble, besides HBK, but is he really in the match?

[quote name='rvdrock']That he does, and All-American American has to be one of the worst nicknames of all time...[/QUOTE]

Certainly better than Kurt Angle 2.0 ;)

Rumble predictions -

Orton wins the Rumble (makes sense since he's the hottest act on Raw, and got the big show-closing angle with Vince on the go-home show)
JBL wins the World title (I hope, to set up HBK-JBL at 'Mania for the title)
Jeff retains the WWE Title against Edge (I'd rather see Edge retain via Christian, but that's a bit too predictable, so I can see them saving his return for another date and giving Jeff at least one win as champion after fighting against all the odds)
Swagger over Hardy (Matt got the win on SD, so it makes sense for Swagger to win this, plus he just won the belt and Matt has nothing to gain by winning the belt again)
Beth over Melina (hopefully Santino does commentary and/or trumpet victory taunt)

The original Priceless/DiBiase Jr. theme -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UMVQYV1V

[quote name='pacifickarma']Possible Spoiler for the Rumble...
Rob Van Dam has been spotted entering the arena!
[/quote]

Not a big surprise since he's from the area, probably just visiting backstage.

I caved and checked Ticketmaster and scored front row lower bowl, damn near dead center camera for Raw tomorrow night. Hope the Rumble sets up a good show tomorrow.

Predictions:

First off what I want to happen:

Christian wins the Rumble
JBL over Cena
Jeff over Edge
Swagger over Hardy
Beth over Melina

Now what I think will happen:
Orton wins the rumble
Cena over JBL
Edge over Jeff with help from Christian
Swagger over Hardy
Beth over Melina

Kinda cool about the planned
RVD
slot in the Rumble match. Should be interesting to see what kind of shape he's in and how much they use him.

[quote name='JJSP']Kinda cool about the planned
RVD
slot in the Rumble match. Should be interesting to see what kind of shape he's in and how much they use him.[/QUOTE]

Prolly great and not very much. ;)

I liked the historical retrospective intro video.

I'm skeptical of the Orton win y'all are expecting, since WWE is telegraphing it way too much.

[quote name='jimbodan']Any way to disable the chat rooms on those justin.tv pages?[/quote]
Popout the window and set it to be always on top, then continue whatever else you were doing on your pc.

[quote name='Genocidal']Popout the window and set it to be always on top, then continue whatever else you were doing on your pc.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else notice Swagger looks an awful lot like Biff Tannen?

Hello, McFly!!

Anyway, I think he's the next big thing. A pretty f'n big moveset for a rookie, and good use of it too. The match he just had with Matt Hardy, that's the kind of wrestling I like to see from a heel. Pick a body part, work it like a dirty mofo.

Eh, I said it earlier, but as much as I love Beth, she doesn't need the belt right now. Outside of the played-out Mickie/Beth feud, Melina is by far the best choice.

Remember, it could be Candice. Ha.

bread's done
Back