The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

Thank you, I know what Wario seems like, but De blob seems fun, but I haven't seem any gameplay. I'll do some research along with your opinions.

It's been a while since anyone's posted...

I bought Wii Play ($33 wiimote), Wario Shake It and deBlob from TRU this week. I know I want the cheap controller... errr Wii Play, but I'm not sure about the other two games. I'm more into casual games these days, but the reviews seem like Wario is old school fun and deBlob is just new. Is there anything that has come out lately that is more worthwhile (and won't see pricedrops any time soon, as deBlob may see)?

I'm also interested in going back and doing Dokapon (supposedly a good party game), Okami and a filler for Jillian Michaels' FU 2009 (I think those are all $40)? For $27 each I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with those.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I'd only have rented 'em (and did, in the case of de Blob). But I guess resale value on Wario will be fairly high for a while now so if you decide to get rid of it, it's a minor expense. I'll answer better when I'm not supposed to be paying attention in sociology.

We rented both deblob and wario land shake it , my son liked wario land shake it more. He does not seem to care that we sent them back.

Yeah, neither has a lot of staying power. Which is a shame - I'd probably bite on Wario if it was a little beefi-

No. That sentence is just asking to get taken out of context.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, neither has a lot of staying power. Which is a shame - I'd probably bite on Wario if it was a little beefi-

No. That sentence is just asking to get taken out of context.[/quote]

Indeed...

Hunter: The Reckoning? No, not really. Not that I can think of. The only vaguely close thing to that is No More Heroes, but you're still looking at two pretty different experiences there. However, the team that made the Hunter games is working on The Conduit right now, so, y'know, there's that.

As for Ultimate Alliance? Well... can't think of anything besides Ultimate Alliance itself, really. The sequel is supposed to be on the Wii, but that's a long-ass ways off.

Ah, you're specifically looking for 4-player co-op? Okay, then. Alien Syndrome has it, though it got some pretty not-so-nice reviews. Elebits has 4-player co-op, too, as I recall. Oh, and Blast Works. And I think Ghost Squad.

Man, I gotta go play that at the university arcade.

EDIT: Also, Rock Band. I guess.

What is up with Final Fantasy Fable: Chocobo's Dungeon. This game gets no love at all =( I have just ordered this game via amazon.ca, after spending 2 weeks debating if I should get it. (Tried to purchase an used copy via craiglists / local area, but no luck)

Still need to pick up the following
Okami (Sold out on Amazon.ca)
Fire Emblem (Sold out on Amazon.ca)
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Striker's Charged
De Blob
Warrior Land Shake it

Also pre-ordered Tales of Symphonia on amazon.ca :D

I was debating if I should give Mario Galaxy / Paper Mario a try, but decided to let it slide. I was never a huge fan of Mario after Super Mario 3 on nintendo, and Mario Galaxy makes me dizzy with all the reverse camera that is showned on youtube.

Currently game list

Resident Evil 4 - Wii Edition
No More Heros
Mario Kart Wii
Samba de Amigo
Mario Party 8
Wii Play
Super Smash Brother Brawl
Legend of Zelda - TLP

MP3, Fire Emblem, and Okami should definitely be at the top of your list there. I'd say Strikers at the bottom, but I dunno, maybe you could play online with some CAGs or something... Might I recommend some Zack & Wiki or Godfather action?

are there any good 4 player first person shooters on wii? i'm thinking along the lines of goldeneye with the screen split up into quarters. i don't care about playing my wii games online.

Just found a hidden gem called Obcure : the awakening, two player co-op with a resident evil type feel. I started playing a couple hours ago and so far so good.

[quote name='phatbunbao']Any recommendations for something like marvel: ultimate alliance or hunter the reckoning type game for the wii?[/QUOTE]

Alien Syndrom... check local Hollywoods its sub $9 at this point..

Thats the closest I can think of... I will say that AS is a bit deeped in the sense that you actually have some RPG elements to upgrade your character etc. Its not simly runa nd gun, but top down, multiplayer game.

My father in law loved Hunter the reckoning. I have no idea why he liked it so much, but he did. We played through it twice.

OR what about Soul Caliber Legends... would that fit the bill?

phat, give us some more impressions on ovscure.. it got panned, but the original on PC got decent reviews but was hard to find when I tracked it down, then never played my copy (this happens all too much).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']
OR what about Soul Caliber Legends... would that fit the bill?[/quote]It fits in much the same way that shit is a good meal. Technically you can chew it and swallow it, but really, you're better off just starving.

[quote name='mickeyp']We rented both deblob and wario land shake it , my son liked wario land shake it more. He does not seem to care that we sent them back.[/quote]

I bought wario land shake it and my son played it a little, he seemed to enjoy it.

How about some good games for the wife and I to play together? Hopefully games with good reviews.

Genre action/puzzle

She likes racing games and she likes Wii sports, I would say she's a casual gamer.

Searched the forums but couldn't find an answer.
I'm looking for recommendation's for a good Wii fishing game if there is such thing for a Christmas gift idea. My brother is a huge fishing fan in general and he has a Nintendo Wii, but I don't know what if there is such thing as a good enjoyable Wii fishing game? I've read various reviews and the best review I think I've seen has been a 6/10 for Rapala Fishing Tourny. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Oops, forgot to get back to the fishing question.

Never played Web of Shadows. Shit, I don't even remember hearing about it. I think everyone's bummed out about Spiderman 3 still.

fuck that game, by the way.

[quote name='The Crotch']Oops, forgot to get back to the fishing question.

Never played Web of Shadows. Shit, I don't even remember hearing about it. I think everyone's bummed out about Spiderman 3 still.

fuck that game, by the way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's why I was asking - I played Spiderman 3 at a friend's and found it severely lacking. I had heard this was better but the reviews don't look so hot.

i don't know about the game but the movie.. well the movie can go self-fornicate the 'dance scene' was almost as corny as Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Web of Shadows is decent, not great. It plays basically the same as Spider-Man 2 did for the PS2 - open-world swinging (fun), waves of generic bad guys that you get to punch endlessly (fun) while switching between red/blue Spidey and black Spidey (fun) and a terrible story about the symbiote (not fun). I haven't played Spider-Man: Firend or Foe, but otherwise Web of Shadows is the best Spider-Man game I have played counting all the way back to the first Genesis Spider-Man game. It's still not a fantastic game, but it's solid and does a good job capturing the swinging, bouncy aspects of the character.

I haven't played the newest Rapala, but I think I've played all the other fishing games to date and would vote for Sega Bass Fishing at the top of the list. It lacks a lot of features, but did the best job for me capturing the feeling of fishing.

Well, then.

Despite your having one of the worst avatars ever, you're my favourite new poster here.

EDIT: You ever play PS1 Spiderman?

Get Animal Crossing.

Tell them to get Animal Crossing, TC.

DO IT.

DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT.

DO IT BECAUSE I SAID SO

Christ. Strell, I'm on a budget, okay? Do you know how many beaver pelts I would have to sell to get a new AC? How many trees I'd have to plant?

[quote name='wii skiier']Web of Shadows is decent, not great. It plays basically the same as Spider-Man 2 did for the PS2 - open-world swinging (fun), waves of generic bad guys that you get to punch endlessly (fun) while switching between red/blue Spidey and black Spidey (fun) and a terrible story about the symbiote (not fun). I haven't played Spider-Man: Firend or Foe, but otherwise Web of Shadows is the best Spider-Man game I have played counting all the way back to the first Genesis Spider-Man game. It's still not a fantastic game, but it's solid and does a good job capturing the swinging, bouncy aspects of the character.

I haven't played the newest Rapala, but I think I've played all the other fishing games to date and would vote for Sega Bass Fishing at the top of the list. It lacks a lot of features, but did the best job for me capturing the feeling of fishing.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, Spider-Man 2 was the shit. I used to just web-swing around the city beating on random people. If this recaptures that glory then sold!

Sega Bass Fishing is $7.XX at my Target I think. Just a heads-up to others.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, then.

Despite your having one of the worst avatars ever, you're my favourite new poster here.

EDIT: You ever play PS1 Spiderman?[/quote]
I did play PS1 Spider-Man and really liked it - that one captured the feeling of the character really well (along with having nice, bright colors), but I didn't get the same sense of acrobatic fun out of it.

Soooo, any recommendations on fishing games if there is such a thing. Looking at reviews again and none are really rated that well for the Wii. Any thoughts?
Another recommendation question would be for ATV racing games? I've been enjoying "Pure" for the 360 but am looking for something similar again for my brother who owns a Wii. Thanks!

[quote name='CrushEm']Searched the forums but couldn't find an answer.
I'm looking for recommendation's for a good Wii fishing game if there is such thing for a Christmas gift idea. My brother is a huge fishing fan in general and he has a Nintendo Wii, but I don't know what if there is such thing as a good enjoyable Wii fishing game? I've read various reviews and the best review I think I've seen has been a 6/10 for Rapala Fishing Tourny. Any suggestions? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Well I have played the Sega remake... the game is decent. The Rapala tourney is least expensive at Sears for $39.99 and its not bad either. I think the best one is fishing master in regards to challenge and fun ratio.. That being siad its a bit childish in presentation and is more sim like. I have not tried Hooked fishing and the controller that comes with the Rapala tourney is a joke and not usefull at all.

Crushem I know they make MX vs ATV for the wii. I played it for about 5 minutes though so no real input on it... I know excite truck is flat out awesome, seriously.

[quote name='CrushEm']
Another recommendation question would be for ATV racing games? I've been enjoying "Pure" for the 360 but am looking for something similar again for my brother who owns a Wii. Thanks![/quote]
I played some Baja 1000 (it just came out) and it's pretty mediocre, but it does give you the option of several vehicles, one of which is an ATV. I haven't played the Kawasaki Quads game just because of endless horrible press. Nitro Bike is almost unplayable - the controls are too touchy and the tracks are too narrow so the whole thing works against itself.

Honestly, even though it's not an ATV game, Excite Truck is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for. It is polished, the controls are tight, it has immense replay value AND it's really fun. Since most of the fun of an ATV game comes from the jumping and the skidding, I'm assuming that's what you're looking for and Excite Truck has it.

Anyone know a good game I can get for 30$ or less? Genre doesnt matter as long as the controls are halfway decent and its fun.

Also for everyone who doesnt know Okami had a pricedrop to 25$.

I've been looking for a good fishing game, too. It seems like the Wii would be such an obvious platform for a really fun fishing game. May have to see if a Target around here has Sega Bass Fishing, has to be at least semi worth it for $8.

[quote name='Persona7']Anyone know a good game I can get for 30$ or less? Genre doesnt matter as long as the controls are halfway decent and its fun.

Also for everyone who doesnt know Okami had a pricedrop to 25$.[/quote]
Yah, Ghost Squad. Like is inside The Crotch's words. Kill terrorists and feel better. It is fun. You cannot tell if I am serious or not? I am. Serious.

Elebits and Baraoque are generally both less than $30, wildly different, and both very nice games that you will get a lot of time out of.

For the ATV question earlier, I just tried MX vs ATV and it is not worth your time. Overly touchy controls and cumbersome interface. Also, not fun. I also tried one of the Monster Trux games and was entertained by just how abysmal the sound design was. And, it was a really crappy game.

Excite truck .. i got mine for $20 on sale.. what's the current price now must be like $30.
controls are very tight. It's not that deep a game but it controls well.

I know Zelda is still up but what about Galaxy?

also don't forget the atlus sale/pricedrop
Trauma Center:New Blood
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TP2UZO/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
Dokapon Kingdom
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001AMTH1A/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

both are supposed to control pretty good and be good games aside from that. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't TC:NB the coop one so that makes both of them great games to play with and against (respectively) someone

Minicopter: Adventure Flight is a good budget title. I had fun with it playing the levels. But alot of the missions are the exact same in each level. I really liked the Japanese themed set of levels at the end though. I like Japanese stuff so when I see it in a game (even if the game is Japanese to begin with) I feel all special and stuff, lol.

Can someone recommend a game for a guy who really likes SSBB. That's pretty much all he plays on the Wii. By game I mean disc, not VC or WiiWare.

Power Stone!

Hmm? Oh. fuck. Nevermind.

Well, my natural inclination here is just to say Mario Kart. It's got the same "Holy shit what the hell just happened hey cool now I'm in the lead oh shit now I'm not" thing going on. It's a different genre, sure, but really very similar. Maybe a good multiplayer rail-shooter like Ghost Squad or that new House of the Dead, whenever it comes out (probably after Christmas)? Or Blast Works. Now, if said guy mainly plays Brawl 1v1 with no items or something then that's a different matter. It's stretching it, but No More Heroes? It's hard to go wrong with that game.

Also, something using his main Brawl character (as long as it's not ROB or Sonic)? Say, Fire Emblem 9 and 10 for an Ike user? Metroid Prime 3 for a (S/Z)amus user? If he uses Marth... I dunno, a DS and an import of the new Fire Emblem for that (which I've been hearing some things both good-and-bad about). I'd be hesitant about picking up a Pikmin game for an Olimar user 'cause his best game is being remade, anyway (There are a lot of parenthesis in this post, aren't there?).

Recommend me some games! I'm not a "gamer" - I bought a Wii last year, but, before that, I haven't played video games since the SNES and Sega Genesis I had when I was young.

I like easier Wii titles, like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Link's Crossbow Training, Lego Star Wars, Tetris Party and Boom Blox. I really liked Zack and Wiki.

I also like Resident Evil 4, but it's a little too hard for me. When I'm not battling the huge groups of zombies (or whatever they are) or the bosses, I enjoy it.

I did not like Endless Ocean (boring), Ghost Squad (way too short, and I didn't want to play it again), or Need for Speed Carbon.

I've decided to download World of Goo and Toki Tori. I'll get Lego Indiana Jones when the price drops (I'm still working on Lego Star Wars anyway.)

Do you think I'll like No More Heroes? It looks fun - like a video game version of Kill Bill.

Do you think I'll like Okami? I have a couple of Zelda games for my GBA, but I hate that sometimes you have to just randomly explore to figure out what to do. For example, I had to find a mushroom to get a magic potion. I looked and looked for that mushroom, but couldn't find it. I finally used a guide to figure out that I had to go into and out of a certain cave, and the mushroom would just appear. How would I have figure that out on my own? I hate that. If Okami is like that, I don't want it.

Do you have any game recommendations for me?

bread's done
Back